Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

yermandan wrote: »
    Interesting that YouTube have taken down most of the videos of his arrest
    seamus wrote: »
    Dunno, they all seem to be back now. I wonder was there some weird algorithm that kicked in to temporarily disable videos that get loads of hits within seconds of being posted or something.

Hmmmm...

maybe someone could leak it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It will be interesting to see what he is charged with.

If they try to charge him with espionage for just publishing information that came into his lap, then I can't see that charge sticking as you could then charge any journalist for publishing whistle-blown information.

If instead, he gets charged with espionage for advising Manning and/or encouraging him, then he could be in some real trouble. And this is before we get into any Mueller stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47891737
    Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

End of The Internet as We Know it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

zom wrote: »
    End of The Internet as We Know it...

It seemed to exist for quite a while before Julian came along. As did investigative journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I can't see that charge sticking as you could then charge any journalist for publishing whistle-blown information.

Why not? I certainly can see that now...
    tigger123 wrote: »
    It seemed to exist for quite a while before Julian came along. As did investigative journalism.

I wish I had your optimism people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Aegir wrote: »
    The odd bit bit of rape here and there never hurt anyone I guess :rolleyes:

I've some magic beans for sale to go with a trumped up charge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Amirani wrote: »
    If you're required by your bail conditions to appear before a court in future, and you subsequently breach your bail, it doesn't make a difference whether you're innocent or guilty, you've still committed an offence by breaching the court's instructions.

Regardless of your opinion of Assange and what he's done, it's pretty clear why the UK have arrested him.

It's clear as mud, perpetual lapdog of the USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The original rape charges were clearly trumped up in an effort to discredit him and have him extradited to the US so they can make an example of him. I genuinely wonder about the unthinking mobs who support these kind of gross abuses of power by tyrannical governments, only allowing themselves to think independently by wondering which tastes better: licking boots or kissing arses.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

No sympathy for him to be honest.

Wikileaks are brilliant at leaking western cables and the like. But rarely leak anything from the likes of China, Russia, Iran or North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,786 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It will be interesting to see what he is charged with.

If they try to charge him with espionage for just publishing information that came into his lap, then I can't see that charge sticking as you could then charge any journalist for publishing whistle-blown information.

If instead, he gets charged with espionage for advising Manning and/or encouraging him, then he could be in some real trouble. And this is before we get into any Mueller stuff.

Yup will be interesting to see what happens. There's also the Trump angle, after all it is no secret that Assange wanted him in the WH over his rival - perhaps he'll get a warped version of the Manning pardon from Trump if he does get convicted

• Advertisement

So it's about equal release of information? Factual leaks aren't ok unless matched by equally damaging content against the opposition.

People who argue this imagine they have access to all information.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

nullzero wrote: »
    I really shouldn't but I will...

Firstly beginning a post with "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" is incredibly asinine which given the later content of your post shows a complete lack of self awareness.

I never boiled anything down in any way, I merely posted about something I heard on the radio yesterday that was related to the topic at hand.

Your inept attempt at ridicule backfired well before I posted this reply. People have varying opinions, just because they don't chime with your doesn't mean they are of low intelligence. You need to think a little bit longer about what you're posting.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

‘Inept attempt at ridicule backfired’

What are you on about? Lol yeah it really did some damage.

Stop typing like that though, its coming off as tryhard and schizotypal. The world isnt a binary democrat vs republican comic book story. Please stop injecting american politics.

So it's about equal release of information? Factual leaks aren't ok unless matched by equally damaging content against the opposition.

People who argue this imagine they have access to all information.

The view is that he leaked damaging information and withheld other information - he had specific targets, and little regard for the fallout. It wasn't about principles, it was more about a personal vendetta

Ok, so apparently the US is going to try and get him on "computer related offences"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It was kind of inevitable they would want him out, we are dealing with politicians after all. I think he should have just faced the music sooner.

Straight over the US now like a good man, to be banged up for life.

'Democracy' in action!

Personally if there is anywhere I would like to see him go it's back to Sweden to face them rape charges, which are questionable anyway to be honest.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I've some magic beans for sale to go with a trumped up charge

bitch was probably asking for it I suppose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If he had been extradited originally, he'd probably have been pardonned by now. Chelsea Manning was pardonned by Obama in a final act of clemency for a whistle blower, I doubt his successor will be that kind to a whistle blower

He may or may not have started from a principled place, but he certainly ended up as a political saboteur. Plan and simple. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

He's also a terrible house guest.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    The view is that he leaked damaging information and withheld other information - he had specific targets, and little regard for the fallout. It wasn't about principles, it was more about a personal vendetta

It doesn't change the argument. People loved him when the releases supported them, and they certainly didn't question the lack of something against themselves during those years.

Facts are facts. It takes a feeble mind to look at the leaker and hate them because it's inconvenient.

Is he politically motivated against the country about to put him in a hole for 40 years? Yeah, we all would be. Doesn't change the facts he released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

This will somehow be pinned on Donald Trump

But he was fleeing the Obama administration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If he had been extradited originally, he'd probably have been pardonned by now. Chelsea Manning was pardonned by Obama in a final act of clemency for a whistle blower, I doubt his successor will be that kind to a whistle blower

Surely Trump will protect this Russian asset as a Russian asset himself?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    This will somehow be pinned on Donald Trump

But he was fleeing the Obama administration

To be fair it is the Trump administration that requested extradition today.

To be fair it is the Trump administration that requested extradition today.

He has been subject to extradition for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The U.K. has agreed to not allow his extradition to any country that still has the death penalty, that rules out an extradition to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

He'll probably be found dead with 3 bullet holes in the back of his head and it'll be ruled a suicide.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The U.K. has agreed to not allow his extradition to any country that still has the death penalty, that rules out an extradition to the US.

That is probably only where the death penalty is an option in sentencing, which isn't the case here.

Anyway the US pretty much tells Blighty (and the rest of the world) what to do when it comes to extradition.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    He'll probably be found dead with 3 bullet holes in the back of his head and it'll be ruled a suicide.

Decapitated while shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I wonder if Del boy and Rodney realise that Uncle Albert got nicked and it's all over the news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

Ecuador will no doubt receive billions now that they have done the Yanks' bidding.

People like Assange are heroes.

Advertisement