Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah the Democrat emails were handpicked and taken out of context to try and hurt the Dems as much as possible, but even then there was very little damning actually in there. Which is why the knuckle dragging Trump supporters always talk about "Hillary's emails" as if their very existence is a travesty, but never about any content of those emails.

Assange has leaked some interesting things but over time became more of a puppet of people like Putin who want to sow as much chaos as possible. And the issue in Sweden is that he fled before facing trial, and time limits kicked in. He was never found innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yurt! wrote: »
    The timing is interesting though. He was initially arrested on foot of a European Arrest Warrant - could he have escaped censure in the UK for skipping bail if there was a no-deal Brexit? Given that the Britain is out of the EAW system in a no-deal scenario. #tinfoilhatpost

No Brexit-related links here. Ecuador kicked him out for breaches of his asylum deal.

When was he convicted of rape?
    Character assassination would be much more likely imo.

he faces charges of rape, charges which i believe he is happy to answer to.
    Charges were dropped. Political anyway. Not sure why the U.K. arrested him.

Basically this is the arrest of a journalist.

There’s an interesting alliance against Assange though from far right to Democratic left.

I mean in the sense of the Democratic Party in the US.

The UK arrested him because Sweden issued an international arrest warrant. Any country in Europe would have done the same thing.

He then skipped bail, which is a criminal offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous now.

Good argument.

Always wary of engaging with mods though.

I will say though that Assange was championed by the Guardian etc. until the 2016 election. Wiki leaks hostility to Clinton was true enough, and was largely driven by her clearly pro war tendencies. Libya was largely her idea. She was extremely anti Assad and ran on a platform of getting rid of him.

And the militaristic Democrats have ever since been bleating about Russian influence, one or two exceptions in the party aside. ( And even then those exceptions are also accused of being puppets of Putin. It’s pretty sinister).

Poor guy didn't get the chance to release Trump's tax returns and the Mueller report so everyone liked him again.

Should be interesting to see if the insurance file is real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,246 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He’s really been arrested to hand him over to the US, of course.

He very well might be handed over to the US. However, he was arrested for breach of bail conditions stemming from charges of rape and sexual assault. Those charges against him do exist and were always going to be acted on whether he left the Embassy of his own accord or against his will (as was the case here) until such time as those charges were dropped, if ever.

Regardless of possible US extradition, he breached bail conditions stemming from charges of rape and sexual assault.

Aegir wrote: »
    he faces charges of rape, charges which i believe he is happy to answer to.

The UK arrested him because Sweden issued an international arrest warrant. Any country in Europe would have done the same thing.

He then skipped bail, which is a criminal offence.

Do you really think he’s going to Sweden, or facing charges in a magistrates court today. He’ll barely spend a day in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Lol. The whole Putin thing shows how much the militaristic Democratic Party has a hold on the Irish mind.

What? Isn't that a bit of a role reversal? Or are you just saying stuff off the top of your head?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Julian Assange has never been convicted of any sex offense. He was charged but then the charges were dropped while he was holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy.
    It's impossible to believe any accusation against this man because of the reactions by countries to his leaking of classified information.
    For many he comes across as not a nice person but it must be very difficult to live in the paranoid world he has since he started WikiLeaks.
    Regardless of anything he does over the rest of his life he did the world a great service by showing us how underhanded, powerful and advanced the likes of the CIA are and how much they pry into the lives of ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

He looks shook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Good argument.

I will say though that Assange was championed by the Guardian etc. until the 2016 election. Wiki leaks hostility to Clinton was true enough, and was largely driven by her clearly pro war tendencies. Libya was largely her idea. She was extremely anti Assad and ran on a platform of getting rid of him.

And the militaristic Democrats have ever since been bleating about Russian influence, one or two exceptions in the party aside. ( And even then those exceptions are also accused of being puppets of Putin. It’s pretty sinister).
    I'm just sick of this American shite, the militaristic Democrats have a hold on the Irish mind, come on now. It's ridiculous. They're nothing like us. As is the idea that I'd ban you for disagreeing, but that's just a cop out obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Not sure which side to be on. America has a lot of nukes so I might just go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Not sure which side to be on. America has a lot of nukes so I might just go with them.

Hahah sensible man :D

Markcheese wrote: »
    What? Isn't that a bit of a role reversal? Or are you just saying stuff off the top of your head?

Look. I generally don’t get involved in the Putin nonsense as its clearly propaganda aimed at children. And this site, particularly politics is moderated to support that belief.

The US wants Assange because he exposed some of their secrets. Nothing to do with Putin, the fairy godmother, Jesus Christ or the tooth fairy.

He’s a journalist who will be jailed for years, supported by and large by the right and liberals (and I am not using that term to mean left) because the former believe in American military supremacism and the latter believe in American military supremacism provided the Democratic Party is doing the mass killings.

With that I am out, because you can no more argue against the “Putin is controlling our minds” brigade than you can against a fundamentalist Christian.

I will say however that the alliance here between people like Aegir and the liberals is itself instructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Zorya wrote: »
    What with Chelsea Manning in jail and Assange now arrested it is clear that whistle blowers are not welcome. We do not really live in democracies at all.

I heard an American Liberal commentator say yesterday that they loved the impact of wikileaks and felt it was a positive force until Hillarys emails were released.
    Basically, "some truth is good as long as it doesn't jar with my opinions".

Glazers Out!

As far as I can make out his lawyer says it is on foot of a US extradition warrant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

eagle eye wrote: »
    Julian Assange has never been convicted of any sex offense. He was charged but then the charges were dropped while he was holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy.
    It's impossible to believe any accusation against this man because of the reactions by countries to his leaking of classified information.
    For many he comes across as not a nice person but it must be very difficult to live in the paranoid world he has since he started WikiLeaks.
    Regardless of anything he does over the rest of his life he did the world a great service by showing us how underhanded, powerful and advanced the likes of the CIA are and how much they pry into the lives of ordinary people.

Its nothing to do with the sex offense, this is because he is a whistle blower. I understand some don't like him, but he and Manning been detained and likely locked up for a long time is very concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Good argument.

So Clinton convinced the UN the sign a resolution to create a no fly zone around Libya and use whatever force needed to protect civilians? The French would have taken it upon themselves anyway with or without UN/NATO support.

Assad should have been gotten rid of. The guy is responsible for the deaths of half a million and one of the biggest humanitarian crisis's on the planet over past 50 years. Only reason he isn't on trial for war crimes is Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funny how wikileaks started out being a bastion of freedom to a tool of a dictator. Great that he's arrested, hopefully he's charged for skipping bale, serves his sentence and is handed over to USA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lol. The whole Putin thing shows how much the militaristic Democratic Party has a hold on the Irish mind.
    I'm curious why you think Assange chose to ignore damaging leaks he was given on Russia, given that he is the founder of... Y'know... wikileaks?

Assange is a perfect example of someone turning into exacy what they claimed to stand against.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wikileaks is compromised, which means that Assange is compromised.

At what stage this happened is unknown, but there was a definite shift around 2014/2015 from a "freedom of information" guerrilla journalism outfit, to a "we will release things that are politically useful at a time that will have the most impact" organisation.

Rather than being all about exposing the truth, Wikileaks became just another corrupt organisation sitting on the truth and using it for political gain.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

nullzero wrote: »
    I heard an American Liberal commentator say yesterday that they loved the impact of wikileaks and felt it was a positive force until Hillarys emails were released.
    Basically, "some truth is good as long as it doesn't jar with my opinions".

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boiling it down to liberals vs conservatives is a pretty low IQ way of looking at geopolitics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Interesting that YouTube have taken down most of the videos of his arrest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lux23 wrote: »
    He looks shook.

The Ecuadorians must've handed him the bill for seven years bed and board

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

yermandan wrote: »
    Interesting that YouTube have taken down most of the videos of his arrest
    Dunno, they all seem to be back now. I wonder was there some weird algorithm that kicked in to temporarily disable videos that get loads of hits within seconds of being posted or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm curious why you think Assange chose to ignore damaging leaks he was given on Russia, given that he is the founder of... Y'know... wikileaks?

Assange is a perfect example of someone turning into exacy what they claimed to stand against.

I'm surprised people even with the slightest interest in wikileaks haven't realised stuff like that. Wikileaks finally released "leaks" from Russia and had them pinned to their twitter and it was all carefully selected publically available knowledge. They even asked Don Jr for information so they would appear impartial ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I definitely see an oul slip and fall whilst locked up or a good oul "due to being stuck inside for seven years he suddenly died from too much sunlight"

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm surprised people even with the slightest interest in wikileaks haven't realised stuff like that. Wikileaks finally released "leaks" from Russia and had them pinned to their twitter and it was all carefully selected publically available knowledge. They even asked Don Jr for information so they would appear impartial ffs!

Nobody is impartial - it is a human impossibility. Not one single media source one consults is impartial.
    Even if Wikileaks was biased, what they released were true records, which revealed the way things work in places people would otherwise not know about.
    I think these revelations have caused a lot of cynicism among people, for better or for worse - if I was a leader who wanted order I would not permit such chaos - but that would be dictatorship.
    If there was no crap published on Russia, then maybe someone should have set up a site to accept leaks from Russians and provide balance - that's the way things should work. There are actually plenty of people working hard to expose the underbelly of strange, often quite weird, Russian politics - people who write about Alexandr Dugin, for example.
    Assange was a source of information - biased of course - and he should not be persecuted over that or else the fundamentals of a free investigtive press are harmed. Even Obama saw and said that when he tried to prosecute Wikileaks.
    This warrant will bring him to the US where he and Chelsea Manning face investigation over Mannings 700,000 leaked documents on abuses in the US military - that is why he is being pursued. Because he revealed stuff they don't want people to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boiling it down to liberals vs conservatives is a pretty low IQ way of looking at geopolitics

I really shouldn't but I will...

Firstly beginning a post with "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" is incredibly asinine which given the later content of your post shows a complete lack of self awareness.

I never boiled anything down in any way, I merely posted about something I heard on the radio yesterday that was related to the topic at hand.

Your inept attempt at ridicule backfired well before I posted this reply. People have varying opinions, just because they don't chime with your doesn't mean they are of low intelligence. You need to think a little bit longer about what you're posting.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement