Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think he paid back 22% of the loan but I could be wrong. His assets were much more considerable than that, he had access to more money if needed but the bank forgave him, he had a good pension and an valuable house.

I doubt that the farmer would be given such a big write off about 78% I think buy again I may be wrong.

Why should the farmer be given a write-off?
    It's not JUST the bank that this guy owes - the bank and indeed the revenue can sometimes appear faceless, big bad organisations.
    But when you owe your local suppliers thousands and default on those, you should lose all sympathy.

kippy wrote: »

He actually might have gotten one.....IF he talked to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You do of course know why the vast majority of people (including those from the groups that you reference), DONT do the same as the minority.........

Can you give up on this strawman, it's completely pointless.

Garret Fitzgerald was the leader of FG and the PM of Ireland. He should really set a good example otherwise people will follow his bad lead.

Why do you keep commenting on these points if you dont want them answered? And why do you tell me to stop commenting on this point when you yourself are commenting on it?

He actually might have gotten one.....IF he talked to the bank.

That is of course possible but I suspect that would not have been the case. The substantial asset of the farm would be wanted by the bank I would think.

I am answering other posted questions and points. I am drawing a line showing how not taking responsibility for ones debts can lead to a culture of people believing they need not honour their financial commitments.

None of it is relevant. As mentioned there's a far bigger culture of people doing the right thing..thankfully.

(I do get your point btw - it's bad to let people off the hook - so why let this guy off the hook)

• Advertisement

It's not JUST the bank that this guy owes - the bank and indeed the revenue can sometimes appear faceless, big bad organisations.
    But when you owe your local suppliers thousands and default on those, you should lose all sympathy.

I didn't say he should be given a write off. I said I think he would not have been given write off.

Garret Fitzgerald was the leader of FG and the PM of Ireland. He should really set a good example otherwise people will follow his bad lead.

Why do you keep commenting on these points if you dont want them answered? And why do you tell me to stop commenting on this point when you yourself are commenting on it?

Ara look, Bertie Ahern was the same - he didn't even have a bank account as minister for finance, made thousands on the horses according to himself. What example does that set?
    All irrelevant.

Anyone who firmly believes that POLITICIANS (the biggest liars out there) should be setting good example has absolutely no appreciation for the issues at play here.

You're making excuses for these guys with some completely irrelevant stuff.

I didn't say he should be given a write off. I said I think we would not have been given write off.

Plenty of "Normal" people who have hit tough times over the past decade or more have been assisted by their creditors to find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am happy to condemn the actions of both Fitzgerald and McGann, and any other chancer you choose to reference.

Now, either you think they both were wrong, or you think they both were right.

It is fair to think better of Fitzgerald, because of a positive contribution to society, and his willingness to engage with the lenders, and worse of McGann because of his refusal to engage with any of his debts and his support for vigilante mobs. However, I won't ask you to go that far.

None of it is relevant. As mentioned there's a far bigger culture of people doing the right thing..thankfully.

(I do get your point btw - it's bad to let people off the hook - so why let this guy off the hook)

I think the example of politicians, bankers and property developers being seen to be or treated differently from "ordinary" breeds a them and us view from some people. This damages the democratic system, people start to believe that the system is set up against them and they then are marginalized from the state. They end up not believing the news, they end up not engaging with politicians and not respecting the police or other arms of the state. They then have no investment in protecting the state or rule of law.

I never said this guy should have his debt forgiven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Is this your idea of a serious comment?

Yes when dealing with someone who wears nappies 24 hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It'll be interesting if the legal team find flaws in the court order.....compo time

I think the example of politicians, bankers and property developers being seen to be or treated differently from "ordinary" breeds a them and us view from some people. This damages the democratic system, people start to believe that the system is set up against them and they then are marginalized from the state. They end up not believing the news, they end up not engaging with politicians and not respecting the police or other arms of the state. They then have no investment in protecting the state or rule of law.

I never said this guy should have his debt forgiven.

You'll never keep everyone happy all of the time. But the vast majority of people get on with things in an honourable and lawful way perhaps despite the types of behaviour you have brought up in your first paragraph.
    Why should the expectation of the behaviour of this person be any different?

Why are you making excuses for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am happy to condemn the actions of both Fitzgerald and McGann, and any other chancer you choose to reference.

It is fair to think better of Fitzgerald, because of a positive contribution to society, and his willingness to engage with the lenders, and worse of McGann because of his refusal to engage with any of his debts and his support for vigilante mobs. However, I won't ask you to go that far.

You should change your nickname to Castleknock152 where your glorious leader Leo is from, suits you.
    Fitzgerald got that massive writedown at the time, the usual FG fanboys never even blinked. People like top politicians and bankers should lead by example and pay their debts instead of getting handouts.
    You've made an allegation against the poor farmer having support for vigilante, where is your proof?

Fitzgerald was in a position of privilege, when he had a moral decision to make, pay his debts back ( remember he had plenty of assets and a big pension) or not, he choose to take the easy road not the moral road. In some ways that is worse. He as a leader choose Greed (hard word) over morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

klaaaz wrote: »
    You should change your nickname to Castleknock152 where your glorious leader Leo is from, suits you.
    Fitzgerald got that massive writedown at the time, the usual FG fanboys never even blinked. People like top politicians and bankers should lead by example and pay their debts instead of getting handouts.
    You've made an allegation against the poor farmer having support for vigilante, where is your proof?

😂😂 poor farmer. He underdeclared Vat of 177000€ so he must have a fair turnover for that much VAT to be owed.

Edgware wrote: »
    Yes when dealing with someone who wears nappies 24 hours a day

Your comments are very childish. You should be more constructive in your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

nullzero wrote: »
    Loyalist isn't a term of abuse, nor is it bigoted.

In this context, when talking about private security men, hired to carry out an eviction, the term 'Loyalist' is not a pejorative? LOLZ

No one is buying that but you. Why even mention it so?

The term was used in a sectarian, bigoted manner. Own it and be honest about it, instead of deflecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Amazing how so many people on here seem to know intricate details of this farmers dealings with KBC bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Anyone who firmly believes that POLITICIANS (the biggest liars out there) should be setting good example has absolutely no appreciation for the issues at play here.

Is that what you meant to say ?

If it is, no wonder I keep getting the government that you deserve.

• Advertisement

OK, benefitted from the actions of a vigilante mob. Is that a more accurate description?

As for your description of him as a "poor" farmer, that is as delusional as the rest of your posts on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

heroics wrote: »
    ���� poor farmer. He underdeclared Vat of 177000€ so he must have a fair turnover for that much VAT to be owed.

"Poor" Fitzgerald who was never violently thrown out of his home got a writeoff and kept his luxurious home.

Amazing how so many people on here seem to know intricate details of this farmers dealings with KBC bank.

There are court records and hard details that have been reported in the newspapers. Maybe you have some hard information to contradict them?

It is amazing how many naive people think that he is some poor innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

There are court records and hard details that have been reported in the newspapers. Maybe you have some hard information to contradict them?

where did I say he is a poor innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Do the court records available online include a copy of the Court Order ? I looked but couldn't find as did one or two others, I think.

I don't think many see McGann as an innocent, by the way. Quite the opposite.

It’s in the public domain. He was visited numerous times by the Sherrif before the eviction. No one to blame for his situation (and embarrassing his family) but himself.

"Poor" Fitzgerald who was never violently thrown out of his home got a writeoff and kept his luxurious home.

Er, he SOLD his home to pay the debt.

Is that what you meant to say ?

If it is, no wonder I keep getting the government that you deserve.

One would be very naive to believe anything that politicians say.
    Apologies for stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Do the court records available online include a copy of the Court Order ? I looked but couldn't find as did one or two others, I think.

I don't think many see McGann as an innocent, by the way. Quite the opposite.
    They are online but unfortunately you have to pay for access its a **** system to access court records and should be changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

He voluntarily sold his home to pay down what he could from the debt, he had no other assets according to tribunal evidence. He did have a pension income which should in my opinion have been taken into account but it wasn't.

Advertisement