Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Park Ireland closed this weekend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

jvan wrote: »
    That the experienced walker who tripped on the sleeper boardwalk. She was claiming because it was a structure it should be maintained like footpaths.

No, that was a cut on the knee sustained by falling on boardwalks on the Wicklow Way. Case was taken against the NPWS and she was awarded €40,000 which was overturned on appeal.

No idea who paid the costs though, I guess the NPWS still lost a lot of money and could have easily decided against appealing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Basically both sides paid their own fees, the NPWS knew she'd appeal again if faced with their costs and the costs and because the judge suggested it, it wouldn't bode well if they didn't. ****ty for them but overall a better than expected result, I'm a fair world she and her solicitor would have been cleaned out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

From BPI's facebook page yesterday:

Latest Update on Trying to Reopen.

Firstly, we are quite simply overwhelmed with the support we are getting from everyone. It’s just amazing how a sudden closure of a small business can affect so many people in different ways and we are again truly sorry for all the inconvenience caused.
    The latest news is that we are waiting to receive a final decision tomorrow morning from Insurance Company and if it’s good news we will be able to open up at the weekend. And if it’s not, then we will remain closed for another while.
    We understand that there is quite a few people booked in for this weekend and if you can’t wait until tomorrow for a decision and need to make alternative plans in the next few days that’s no problem as we will naturally issue you a full refund.
    Again, we are asking you for your patience and to cross all your fingers and hopefully we might get the green light tomorrow. As soon as we know, you will know.
    Best regards,
    Graham, Sandi and the BPI Team.
    5pm Wednesday 22.5.19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Out of interest, does anyone know Coillte's position regarding public liability insurance (for walkers as well as MTBers)?

You don't have a high duty of care to recreational users of your land.

Something that might be grounds for a case in say; a commercial yard where customers visit like a pothole/loose gravel/unprotected edge wouldn't be grounds for a case in the middle of a working wood to someone going for a walk/cycle etc.

An amendment to the law so that there is no liability in almost any circumstance on unenclosed land and all woodlands shouldn't be difficult to do.
    That would open up most of our most scenic area to open access.

Coillte are running a very risky unprofessional game with their selling of hunting rights, and the Mickey Mouse controls in place to protect walkers/cyclist from large calibre rifles rounds.

I remember spending weeks hiking in Andes years ago and the very poor condition of foot bridges etc and thinking you couldn't let that happen in Ireland due to risks of claims. We need to get nearer to that; sure a few people will be hurt but 1000's more will get to enjoy our outdoors.

I bring my cx bike into wood more than mtb; I'm breaking Coillte rules on one but not the other

People don't really understand insurance. The mention of CI insurance being enough to cover BPI being a case in point. In most scenarios CII is close to useless. 150/week limit for being out of work, very low max payout(5000 I think) and proportional significant excess(500 I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Started off running down hills at about 6yr's old.
    Moved onto sliding down it on fertiliser bags in the snow
    Graduated to cycling down on our BMX's
    Now as an adult were not allowed cycle down the hills on bikes especially built for it using safety gear.

This is utterly bannanas. The council/leader or someone should be covering BPI's insurance on Tourism/Active lifestyle reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Today's Update
    Still Down …. But not out!!
    Unfortunately we will NOT be open this weekend 25th and 26th of May as the decision on our insurance hasn’t come through on time, which is very frustrating for us but especially for you. We need to make a decision on it now so that everyone that is booked in can try and rearrange to do something else. Anybody that is booked in will automatically receive a full refund and all membership ticket holders please remember that we will naturally extend your tickets for each week that has been lost.
    Hopefully we will have better news next week.
    Kind regards,
    Graham, Sandi and the BPI Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ryath wrote: »
    Today's Update

Thats not good, the longer it goes on the more I fear for its future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭covey123

Anybody that is booked in will automatically receive a full refund and all membership ticket holders please remember that we will naturally extend your tickets for each week that has been lost.

Don't loose hope just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just went to book in for my first forray into mountain biking and discover this. What a load of ****e

• Advertisement

I just went to book in for my first forray into mountain biking and discover this. What a load of ****e

Don't give up, where abouts are you based. There are other options if BPI are closed for a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I assume this hasn't been resolved yet? This is getting rather worrying

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I assume this hasn't been resolved yet? This is getting rather worrying

I'd hate to see what BPI policy must be if they want and extra 25k for 2 trampolines.

'They're going to close down the country' - adventure centre forced to remove trampolines due to €25k premium increase

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/theyre-going-to-close-down-the-country-adventure-centre-forced-to-remove-trampolines-due-to-25k-premium-increase-38156411.html

jvan wrote:
    'They're going to close down the country' - adventure centre forced to remove trampolines due to €25k premium increase

That's fcuking ridiculous.

I'm starting to wonder if a protest group should be setup to try help resolve this, this could be lethal for many business

That's fcuking ridiculous.

I'm starting to wonder if a protest group should be setup to try help resolve this, this could be lethal for many business

It has already closed businesses. A protest group will most likely do damn all, political will is everything, and the government can't decide what to tackle at the moment by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'd hate to see what BPI policy must be if they want and extra 25k for 2 trampolines.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/theyre-going-to-close-down-the-country-adventure-centre-forced-to-remove-trampolines-due-to-25k-premium-increase-38156411.html
    Another today - Fingal Adventure Centre (taken from their facebook page)

RUSH CENTRE UPDATE: its with a very heavy heart that we have to announce that we will not be operating on North Beach this season. The astronomical insurance we have been quoted leaves us no choice but to cease operating on North Beach.
    Thank you to a great community & for all your support

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote:
    Another today - Fingal Adventure Centre (taken from their facebook page)

This is getting very very worrying, we have to do something folks, there won't be a park left in the country

This is getting very very worrying, we have to do something folks, there won't be a park left in the country

What worries me is the 2 cases listed above wouldn't even be as 'risky' as BPI.

Although you could argue that people who take part in mtbing accept there is some risk where as trampolining could be seen as safer therefore given the current claim culture people will sue quicker if the injury themselves at a 'safe' activity. In saying all that, the insurance industry are a law to themselves and I've long given up second guessing their logic.

What worries me is the 2 cases listed above wouldn't even be as 'risky' as BPI.

Although you could argue that people who take part in mtbing accept there is some risk where as trampolining could be seen as safer therefore given the current claim culture people will sue quicker if the injury themselves at a 'safe' activity. In saying all that, the insurance industry is a law to themselves and I've long given up second guessing their logic.

their logic is a simple one, profit maximisation, at all costs

Anyone in a good position to raise this with a decent FG member?
    With the recent Swing claim that was dropped now would be a good time to bring this whole insurance fiasco up, nothing like a bit if political embarrassment to get things moving, or even if someone knows of a good opposition Party member looking for some ammunition to aim at FG, personally I was hoping that claim would be paid out, insurance claim issues would definitely have kicked off if it was

Any social media page/links currently active highlighting insurance claims in Ireland?get this s*** viral and international, political pressure and embarrassment is the only way to get any real action done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The main change I would be looking to make is that any injury that can be treated without lifelong complications or reduction in quality of life, by the HSE, should get no claim at all bar the 100euro GP/A&E charge. After that, bar wages for time off work, that is it. France no longer accept whiplash as an acceptable injury to claim for in motoring accidents AFAIK, as it can be treated without cost to the injured party at a local hospital.

Update from BPI, closed until further notice :(

"Unfortunately we still don't have the positive outcome we have been looking for. However the battle continues and we are exploring every opportunity open to us to find a solution
    Until then, and out of respect to you the amazing mtb community we are closed for bookings until further notice
    Please keep an eye out for updates... we will have one hell of celebration at in BPI when we reopen our doors
    Kind regards,
    Graham, Sandi and the BPI Team."

https://www.facebook.com/652672661459110/posts/2351364998256526/

Ah f***

I'm not on any social media,but thinking of starting a Twitter account,#visit Ireland soon its closing down

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Peter T

Very worrying news that this is still on going

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

covey123 wrote: »
    I'm not on any social media,but thinking of starting a Twitter account,#visit Ireland soon its closing down

Start an uplift campaign, see https://uplift.ie/ Ask everyone and their friends and family to sign and share it. Contact the other companies in the sector, e.g. GAP, ZIPIT and any other bike park, outdoor adventure centre, etc... and make it a group effort. Contact the Dept of Tourism and radio. Basically make so much noise and become such a pain in the ass that it becomes more of work for the powers that be to ignore it than to deal with it. Just my 2c.

FWIW, already seeing posts on FB about this among my friends so it is already a topic of discussion, just needs some coordination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

smacl wrote: »
    Start an uplift campaign, see https://uplift.ie/ Ask everyone and their friends and family to sign and share it. Contact the other companies in the sector, e.g. GAP, ZIPIT and any other bike park, outdoor adventure centre, etc... and make it a group effort. Contact the Dept of Tourism and radio. Basically make so much noise and become such a pain in the ass that it becomes more of work for the powers that be to ignore it than to deal with it. Just my 2c.

FWIW, already seeing posts on FB about this among my friends so it is already a topic of discussion, just needs some coordination.

I'd be happy to contribute to this!

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I'd be happy to contribute to this!

Same, no problem digging out same details of those that might be affected and contacting them.

I think we need to start showing up at these premises in numbers, just to show support, this is very very worrying for the outdoor industry

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jaysus that's nuts. I remember when Fort Lucan opened first. Went a few times as a Kid and got free run of the place for an hour as my dad catered for them a few times.

I also remember when the trampolines were new. I went flying off one, and smacked my entire body into the ground at some force. I whinged a fair bit, got an ice cream and got on with life.

Now, some parents don't seem to wish to take any responsibility for their own children, or their own ineptitude.

My partner also recently tipped a car at about 10 kmph. Absolutely zero damage to either car. The driver very quickly complained about back and neck pain. He works for an insurance company. This is what people do now.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is what people do now.

Have to pay the finance on the new KIA somehow :pac:

Weepsie wrote: »
    Now, some parents don't seem to wish to take any responsibility for their own children, or their own ineptitude.

Was cycling in Massey's wood yesterday and saw a young lad who was part of a scout group walk smack into a tree because he was staring at his phone rather than looking where he was going. Clearly should've been wearing a helmet.. :pac:

At that age me and my mates were going down hills on home made go-carts made from old planks, rusty nails, shopping cart trolley wheels and string.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Peter T wrote: »
    Have to pay the finance on the new KIA somehow :pac:

He has videos on twitter of him using his phone when driving. He's not the sharpest. They're a few years old, but if the case proceeds, I am sending them to his insurer which is also his employer.

smacl wrote:
    Was cycling in Massey's wood yesterday and saw a young lad who was part of a scout group walk smack into a tree because he was staring at his phone rather than looking where he was going. Clearly should've been wearing a helmet..

Ffs, kids shouldn't be outside, period, they should be wrapped in bubble wrap, and put in front of a screen with a play station, tis far safer.

smacl wrote:
    At that age me and my mates were going down hills on home made go-carts made from old planks, rusty nails, shopping cart trolley wheels and string.

I'm sure you could still sue, might be worth a few quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Chat on Newstalk about parks and insurance etc at the moment.

Miklos wrote: »

has it finished?

Miklos wrote: »

Maria Baileys pr man, i mean friend of many years wasn't getting drawn into the conversation. What worries me about that case is the arrogance of it, both from her and the fact she may have been pushed to take the case by her legal team who is connected to another fg minister. The legal profession and health consultants are as much to blame in the payouts as the fools who expect money for their own stupidity.

I really hope that Graham and the BPI team are getting help behind the scenes from people who have influence.

Maria Baileys pr man, i mean friend of many years wasn't getting drawn into the conversation. What worries me about that case is the arrogance of it, both from her and the fact she may have been pushed to take the case by her legal team who is connected to another fg minister. The legal profession and health consultants are as much to blame in the payouts as the fools who expect money for their own stupidity.

I really hope that Graham and the BPI team are getting help behind the scenes from people who have influence.

Funny enough, in their shoes, I go straight to the top with an open letter to the Taoiseach copied to the Irish Times, letting him know exactly how the behaviour of his ministers is destroying local business. Leo doesn't like being tarnished with other people's crap and it wouldn't beyond the realms of possibility for him to make the big gesture to recoup the feel good factor. Worth a punt.

It'd suit Leo better to actually tackle the problems in front of him rather than worrying about gestures to be honest.

• Advertisement

Rumors that centers in the adventure and outdoor business are facing a similar situation come policy renewal time for them. So get out, use them and show your support

Rumours that the GAP is facing a similar situation come policy renewal time for them

I'd imagine every activity based business is in the same boat.

I'd imagine every activity based business is in the same boat.

No need to imagine, they're literally closing weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Rumours that the GAP is facing a similar situation come policy renewal time for them
    Any idea when that might be? Just so we can try pay them a visit to show support before its too late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Rather than start rumours about another business, can we wait until any given business makes official comment on the matter rather than potentially harming a businesses reputation. Y'know, common sense and all that.

Fair call but at the rate places are closing currently I wouldn't hold my breath. Common sense and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Fair call but at the rate places are closing currently I wouldn't hold my breath. Common sense and all that

No, it's not common sense; it's speculation. Where did you hear this "rumour" from? If it wasn't from the horses mouth, then putting it out there like it's fact in print is just a d1ck thing to do, creating uncertainty among customers and any interactions between businesses for services or work being possibly delayed or cancelled for fear of losing money, adding further pressure that quite simply might not have been an issue before any rumour-mill gets started.

Not from the horses mouth. As I said, just a rumor I heard from a regular. Ill change my original comment for the non rational thinking people of the internet world. Everything is grand drive on

Peter T wrote:
    Not from the horses mouth. As I said, just a rumor I heard from a regular. Ill change my original comment for the non rational thinking people of the internet world. Everything is grand drive on

Humans are not rational beings, whether it be on the Internet's or not

I'm lost, is all this hand-wringing over the fact someone mentioned The Gap or activity businesses in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

if this whole thing has shown anything to me its the support and love we as mtbers have for these businesses, i dont think any of this has tarnished BPI's (or other adventure businesses) reputation in the slightest bit, only the crap shady insurance companies and usless regulations in place in this country. I am 100% sure everyone of us would gladly head to BPI tomorrow if we could.

• Advertisement
Advertisement