Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Paddyfield wrote: »
    The owner of the premises, Dermot Ryan, told me but he didn't tell me the name of the shop but he told me the type of shop it is.

Well what type of shop is it gonna be Paddyfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Spoted last weekend, a new antique shop on francis st beside oconnors cafe, and a new sex shop on upper abbeygate st just up from sally longs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Asia/Manila Store on Abbeygate St has crossed the road and taken over the former Olio and Farina shop unit. Fresh meat counter there too now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Spoted last weekend, a new antique shop on francis st beside oconnors cafe, and a new sex shop on upper abbeygate st just up from sally longs.
    A new sex shop :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

snubbleste wrote: »
    A new sex shop :eek:

Its needed. What else is there to do for people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Its needed. What else is there to do for people.
    dunno, be comfortable in their old sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's a new charity shop being fitted out in St Augustine Street, near the Abbeygate St end, between an estate agent and a family planning place, for COPE. I think it used to be a clothes retailer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Help Stock Our New Shop and Support COPE Galway

COPE Galway are excited to announce that we will be opening a shop at Lismoyle House, St. Augustine Street in October.

Help Stock Our Shop and fund our work in the area of homelessness, domestic violence and older people.
    Do you have any surplus, good quality Clothes, Accessories, Jewellery, Bric-a-Brak, Paperback Books or CDs?

Your donations fund our work with some of the most vulnerable and isolated people and families in Galway and provide them with a helping hand, a place to listen and vital support.

HOW TO DONATE your unwanted goods:

Drop at the shop at St. Augustine Street between 2pm and 6pm Monday to Friday

Drop at our offices at Calbro House, Tuam Road between 8:30am and 5:30pm Monday to Friday

Contact us for free collection at your home or workplace

It's great they have so many options to donate... the free collection service in particular will be handy.

Homestore and more is going in where Toy store was in Wellpark, between Woodies and PC World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 wowee

Just passed Cookes there and it was closed up. It would be very unusual for it to be closed on a Friday evening. Anybody know if its closed for good or not? Would be an awful pity if it had to close down. Sign of the times I know but it always had a nice crowd in it and the guy and his wife who ran it were very nice people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

What the actual ****, are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

<read post 1 about spreading rumours>

Oh I didn't know that. Was only in it a couple of times and was just surprised to see it closed. I would have been in it for a couple of drinks on a Friday evening early around five and that was it. No undesirables at that stage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Well a friend of mine who tried to rent it was told its gone so im guessing It will be open soon enough under new management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I think it's been closed for at least a week now (not sure). I was very surprised to hear it as well, but don't know the story behind this.

Yeah, just seems like a very sudden closure so especially with Arthur's Day coming up. Surely it would have been a chance to make some money if they had known they were going to close soon after? Strange...

Re Cookes: I heard it was closed 2-3 weeks ago, didn't post here because neither Mr O'B or I had seen it for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, hence we kept it outside this thread for a bit. Several peeps have confirmed it's not open so added to main thread. We'll see if it's opening again and under who. If anyone has any news links that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

D Trent wrote: »
    Homestore and more is going in where Toy store was in Wellpark, between Woodies and PC World

Any idea when exactly it will be opening... I've a few things I want to get there! Hope it's soon, would save me some petrol money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

Cheers :) saw a really nice bench on their website. It's on sale, so I'd probably be better off getting it now rather than waiting for the Galway store to open! No doubt I'll end up spending some money at the Galway one at some point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

wowee wrote: »
    Just passed Cookes there and it was closed up. It would be very unusual for it to be closed on a Friday evening. Anybody know if its closed for good or not? Would be an awful pity if it had to close down. Sign of the times I know but it always had a nice crowd in it and the guy and his wife who ran it were very nice people.

been closed for the last two to three weeks. Would have posted at the time but got banned from biko before for not providing links with posts so unfortunately the news is now out of date.

Cheers :) saw a really nice bench on their website. It's on sale, so I'd probably be better off getting it now rather than waiting for the Galway store to open! No doubt I'll end up spending some money at the Galway one at some point :D
    I Pm'd their facebook page to ask them and they replied today saying they hope to open in the new year, so I suggest you get the train to Dublin and Limerick and treat yourself to that bench:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Anyone know what's going on at fujifilm shop on shop st?

They have moved to Corbett court in eyre sq shopping centre opposite Shake milkshake bar and beside Timpson locksmith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

What's going into gujifilm tho. Doing work on it recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

Also work going on today in the unit beside Barratt's shoe shop in Eyre Square centre...

<snip> has applied for planning permission to <snip>

Mod note: this is a rumour until the poster has found a proper source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Do <smip> already own it or have the master lease on that unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It'll be interesting to see if the *person* that objected to paddypower applying for a unit in the Trappers Inn on moral grounds will object to this one too.

Edit: for the benefit of those who have not heard of the frivolous nature of the objection (including the mod):
    A fourth appellant, Liam Madden of Vitruvius Hibernicus Limited, Convent Road, Longford has also objected to the development on moral grounds
    In a submission to city planners, Mr Madden said the planning enactments in the State are intended to “reflect the prevailing moral and cultural climate” and that gambling is considered a mortal sin in Islam, which he said is the fastest growing religion in the State.

He also suggested that gambling should not only be discouraged, but forbidden in Ireland, and that there is “no public merit whatsoever” to the proposal to develop the betting office at the Trapper’s Inn.

This thread drives me mad. People who know people who are opening shops get told off for not having links. People who post without links are sometimes let off and people who back up remarks with links get infractions.

Can a mod please confirm what exactly is ok and what's not ok.

What we want is for people to post about new openings and long term closings.
    What we don't want is to help spread a rumour about a shop that was just closed for refurb or something else.

"I heard down the pub the Big Company is closing, too bad they were a good company" is not ok (and even if it is it will be in the papers before long).
    Same for "Taco Bell are thinking of opening franchises in Galway, so I heard I did".

If someone walks past a shop and sees a sign saying "closed forever" they can post about it but just walking past a shop and the light are off doesn't mean the shop is in liquidation.

Generally, discuss posted news links or first hand info (what you yourself saw).
    Not every single scenario can be covered so it's sometimes a judgement call.
    Hope that all makes sense.

And note that mods don't always read every post in a thread so if you want mod attention you should either PM or report a post.

biko wrote: »
    What we want is for people to post about new openings and long term closings.
    What we don't want is to help spread a rumour about a shop that was just closed for refurb or something else.

"I heard down the pub the Big Company is closing, too bad they were a good company" is not ok (and even if it is it will be in the papers before long).
    Same for "Taco Bell are thinking of opening franchises in Galway, so I heard I did".

If someone walks past a shop and sees a sign saying "closed forever" they can post about it but just walking past a shop and the light are off doesn't mean the shop is in liquidation.

Generally, discuss posted news links or first hand info (what you yourself saw).
    Not every single scenario can be covered so it's sometimes a judgement call.
    Hope that all makes sense.

And note that mods don't always read every post in a thread so if you want mod attention you should either PM or report a post.

fair enough I just wanted to know what the story is as the post about Ladbrokes without a link seems to be a rumour and since a post replying to it got a yellow card I just often find it impossible to know if I can post things here or not.

Sound, if you think a post should be actioned or just have a question about it, feel free to report it.
    All forum mods will get a notification and decide if it should be actioned or not.

As for the rumour above, name is removed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

A little shop in Lower Salthill looks like it's getting ready to reopen. There's been a To Let sign attached to Kellehan's / Devon Stores for the last few years. But it looks like it is about to be occupied.

It's midway between The Warwick and The Cottage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Mod note: this is a rumour until the poster has found a proper source.

Brilliant! It's about time we had a proper Vasectomy Clinic in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Taco Bell are thinking of opening franchises in Galway, so I heard I did

Taco Bell are coming to Galway? Awesome.

As for the rumour above, name is removed now.

You should reinstate it as PP applications are public record.

http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=13257
    Applicant Name: Ladbrokes (Irl) Ltd.
    Permission for proposed Change of Use of an existing Retail Unit (Class 1) to a Licensed Betting Office Unit (Class 2) to include for all associated internal alterations and associated signage together with a new South facing satellite dish and all associated site development works at
    Unit 29/30, Galway Shopping Centre, Headford Rd., Galway

antoobrien wrote: »
    You should reinstate it as PP applications are public record.

http://gis.galwaycity.ie/planenqlite/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=26a-13257&FromList=true

well the rest of his post was a rumour as well.

well the rest of his post was a rumour as well.

Ladbrokes have applied for change of use, so the existing retail can not remain if the permission is granted. Sounds pretty factual.

I guess we'll find out in three weeks if Ladbrokes will get to take over.

• Advertisement

Ladbrokes have applied for change of use, so the existing retail can not remain if the permission is granted. Sounds pretty factual.

I guess we'll find out in three weeks if Ladbrokes will get to take over.

where in that application does it state the current tenent is unhappy with the situation or is closing down. its all a rumour until its confirmed and a little unfair on the current lease owner who's business may be affected by the post.

FWIW, I was (one of several, perhaps) had a problem with the "nasty X are kicking out Y" connotations in the post that has been snipped. So I reported it and the mods here did their stuff.

Saying "X has applied for planning to open in the site where Y currently is" is quite different to "X is kicking Y out":
    They may be testing the water to see if planning would be given
    Y may be moving to a better place (or just one with cheaper rent
    Possibly the landlord is putting the rent up: it's hardly X's fault if Y doesn't want to pay.

FWIW, I was (one of several, perhaps) had a problem with the "nasty X are kicking out Y" connotations in the post that has been snipped. So I reported it and the mods here did their stuff.

Saying "X has applied for planning to open in the site where Y currently is" is quite different to "X is kicking Y out":

Not really, the request for change of use planning permission (from class 1 retail to class 2, whatever the hell that means) shows definite intent to make an alternative use of the site that the business of the current tenant is incompatible with.

If, as seems to have been suggested the tenant is unhappy with that, then "kicking them out" is a pretty accurate description of the situation.

where in that application does it state the current tenent is unhappy with the situation or is closing down.

Well the closing down bit would be the change in use that would prevent the current business from selling. As for the tenant being happy, with all due disrespect that has very little to do with the planning application. the tenant does have the option to object (before the close of business today I think), so that is where their opinion will be noted, not in the initial application.
    its all a rumour until its confirmed and a little unfair on the current lease owner who's business may be affected by the post.

Considering that planning applications are required to published in newspapers before the application is made and have the details of the application at the site in question (i.e. the shop), it's hardly unfair to point out that there is a planning application that has been submitted, which could result in the shop being closed.

And if the customers of said shop are unhappy about the situation and didn't know about it (despite the requirement for a sign at the shop), they now have a chance to object to it which they would not have had before the DTrent did us a public service and stated that there was a PP application in.

And if said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Let's not turn this thread into another bitchfest which gets closed down.

I was guilty of posting rumours here but I now abstain after a deserved slap on the wrist. Speculation is what it is.

Move back on topic before the padlock appears.

Well the closing down bit would be the change in use that would prevent the current business from selling. As for the tenant being happy, with all due disrespect that has very little to do with the planning application. the tenant does have the option to object (before the close of business today I think), so that is where their opinion will be noted, not in the initial application.

Considering that planning applications are required to published in newspapers before the application is made and have the details of the application at the site in question (i.e. the shop), it's hardly unfair to point out that there is a planning application that has been submitted, which could result in the shop being closed.

And if the customers of said shop are unhappy about the situation and didn't know about it (despite the requirement for a sign at the shop), they now have a chance to object to it which they would not have had before the DTrent did us a public service and stated that there was a PP application in.

And if said

there are planning permission given for hundreds if houses around the town but a lot of them don't get built. Planning permission application is not confirmation that a business is opening and A Planning permission application does not mean the current lease holder is closing down his business.

http://galwayindependent.com/20130908/news/new-bookies-planned-S24037.html

I have found this thread to be ridiculous of late, its actually a joke all this nit picking and this will be my final participation.
    What I will say is it will become noticeably quieter now without my contribution of information regarding new businesses opening & existing ones closing etc and maybe that's what some of you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

New clothes shop 'Style Kloset' has opened in Westside Business Park, haven't been yet but hope it goes well for them.

there are planning permission given for hundreds if houses around the town but a lot of them don't get built.

Pretty much irrelevant, the landlord (Ladbrokes) wants the current business out so they can use it for their own ends. Stating that is not putting the current in danger, any more than the article in the paper stating that it may happen.
    Planning permission application is not confirmation that a business is opening and A Planning permission application does not mean the current lease holder is closing down his business.

There is proven intent to open a business, as evidenced by the application to change the use of the building. What that means for the leaseholders business is pretty much irrelevant to the thread (it does say opening/closing).

Now consider this: if they can get somewhere with a lower lease it may even be a boon to the business as their cost base will reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There's an amazing new Asian shop open across from Sally longs! Delighted !! It's huge :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement