Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork - BusConnects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭crayon80

The whingy nimby crowd were very vocal in their bullshit unfortunately. Some of them sent in multiple slightly varying submissions using their own names and local anti groups & residents associations. You'd hope whoever was reviewing the submissions would have seen through that rubbish - but apparently not. It's hugely disheartening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe, just maybe not everyone WANTS to be reliant on public transport?

I know, it's like heresy to say such things in a niche forum like this, but why do you think that people are wary of it?

Could it be decades of slow, inefficient, unreliable (and on some routes, unsafe) experiences with these services despite lots of new liveries and rebrands - CitySwift, SUPER CitySwift, Xpresso, CIE, Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann... It really doesn't matter. It's still the same thing being operated by the same people. Sure there may be some inconsistent improvements but it's still the option for those with no better alternative. Slow, rambling, stopping every 30-60 seconds, jammed at peak hours, missing services, antisocial minority torturing others - even if it's just with bad music, drivers AWOL or staff shortages nowadays etc.

I'm in Cork a fair bit, and the city itself is really only a handful of main streets that are all within walking distance of a few minutes. It's no Dublin no matter how much they might want to see it as the southern equivalent. They have extended it in the last year by simply absorbing some of the surrounding suburban towns, but about the only thing I would say is needed in the actual city centre area is an expansion of the very good Park and Ride service. I use it quite a bit and it's something that should be replicated at every major junction on the M50 in my view, but a good start would be to have it operate on Sundays (which it does at Christmas time). It's ridiculous that it doesn't to be honest but when even the local bus company and council don't see the benefit of a simple change like that (it's just adding more duties to the roster) then it's hard to support a hugely disruptive notion with questionable cost/benefit returns instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

A handful of main streets, you are quite funny there.

I live 54 minutes away from the city center (and not in an area that you classified as absorbed) and if I take a car it takes me 12 minutes (If I can find parking) but if I use a bus (that goes every hour and the stop is a minute or so away) I also can make it in 14 minutes as the bus follows the same route a car would and no parking needed and there is a bus lane part the way. Guess what I take, the good old-fashioned bus because it's easier and cheaper (giving that I don't have to pay for parking in the city).

But that is a simple journey point to point.

If I want to go to the office, it will take me 22 minutes by car (in theory but with traffic never under 30) but by bus I can make it in 52 minutes with 1 change. If the bus comes on time.

If the bus corridors and other significant improvements as planned would have been introduced that time would come down to 35 minutes or so without a single change needed.

I clearly would prefer to the take the bus after a long day at work and if it takes only 10-15 minutes longer than it's clearly a suitable alternative including the significant cost savings and the impact to the environment. Plus, the more people use the bus, the less people use car's which makes traffic less and hence improves journey times.

But thanks to the minor vocal groups I'm going to have to continue to use the car to the office because parking spaces are more important than a bus gate (despite a lot of free parking spaces existing in centrally located shops) and other excuses.

And I don't care who operates it, I care that the infrastructure is build, the routes are meeting requirements of people who actualy travel and that we get a reliable alternative to the chaos that is the Motorway (or South Link).

But that is no longer happening, car it is for the office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

See the problem with the above is that even with the proposed improvements, the trip is still almost double the car journey. Bus fares aren't cheap either and unless you are going to get rid of the car entirely, your public transport use is just added cost and lost time for what..?

The environment? Please! I know Eamon Ryan and his bunch of numpties would have us believe that the survival of the planet depends on what we in Ireland do, but in reality we are an insignificant fraction of an issue far more affected by the likes of Russia, the US, India and others than anything a small island of 5 million people do.

You also highlight another long standing problem, even where there are priority routes or measures - simple A to B trips may be worthwhile, but any deviation and it becomes a mess of lost time, missing connections and frustration.

And by the way.. I write all this as someone who put up with all of the above on Dublin Bus for 30 years, so this isn't just me being anti public transport. The problem is that it only suits a minority in Ireland and that's why it just doesn't and will likely never work well enough to be a genuinely attractive alternative, which is essential if it's to succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You do know that the bus wouldn't be the compulsory way to travel .

There'd be no one stopping you getting in your car and driving ,

This was about making the bus journey quicker and more efficient for those who use the bus,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Today I learned: Public transport in Ireland is poor, so we shouldn't improve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

1.55 € a journey or 68€ a month is not comparable to the cost of a car and even if it's 10-15 minutes longer, it's well worth it if the bus is reliable because with a bus once can calm down and don't need to deal with the madness of driving.

Yes, it's not a typical behaviour, but just because public transport was bad does not mean we should not improve it.

Look at other countries where like in Luxembourg travel is free or Switzerland where integrated timetables lead to significant usage of public transport.

Plus, the local environmental impact is significant.

But we won't see that in Cork.

If you want to drive, sure go ahead, nobody is forcing you to use a bus. But that does not mean that we should not at least try to invest into reliable public transport that people want to use.

So much of the posts by _ Kaiser _ have been factually incorrect, that I suspect you're wasting your time replying.

To break down all their ridiculous points and rebut almost every single sentence:

1. The city itself is really only a handful of main streets that are all within walking distance of a few minutes (Douglas to CUH is a common commute, it's over 6km and already has a 24hour bus service. This point is demonstrably false)
    2. They have extended it in the last year by simply absorbing some of the suburban towns (the 2019 city boundary extension largely absorbed areas that were already city in all but name.)
    3. The only thing I would say is needed in the actual city centre area is an expansion of the very good P&R service (what about the East? Should bus P&R compete with rail? Did you just not realise that we have rail? We need integrated ticketing between both. P&R carries only fraction of the passengers that the city bus or rail services do and it's a point-to-point link between city centre and outskirts: what about CUH? UCC? CIT? Mahon? The P&R is good...but it can cater for a portion of end-users only: car users, who are - according to every study - difficult to entice out of vehicles once they sit in. In short, P&R is demonstrably a benefit to a very small number of people who need public transport, and is unlikely to be the core part of any city transport system)
    4. Have the P&R operate on Sundays (P&R is heavily subsidised by city council and operates at a loss in an effort to alleviate commuter traffic. The scope could be expanded but you could also just park in any of the locations serviced by the normal high-frequency bus, given that parking is free on Sundays and ridership is low)
    5. When even the local bus company and council don't see the benefit of a simple change like that etc etc (who says they don't see the benefit? This is also an effort at direct comparison between NTA BusConnects CapEx with City Council OpEx which somehow also includes the bus company and simply makes no sense at all)
    6. Even with the proposed improvements, the trip is still almost double the car journey. (This is only relevant for car owners. Many people don't, and don't want to own a car, particularly in the city. Many future residents of the city will be tech workers who will come from abroad and will not want to go through the effort of getting an Irish car and licence. I know many of these already)
    7. Bus fares aren't cheap either and unless you are going to get rid of the car entirely, your public transport use is just added cost and lost time (Many are currently being forced into car ownership against their will by our current system. See point 6 above. They would prefer to not sink money into cars)
    8. A clichéd argument rebutting environmental issues, bemoaning the green party, claiming what we do being inconsequential etc (this simply belongs in another forum)
    9. Another long standing problem, even where there are priority routes or measures - simple A to B trips may be worthwhile, but any deviation and it becomes a mess of lost time, missing connections and frustration. (Anyone who has read the BusConnects information or engaged in the process to-date would not have raised this point, as it undermines any argument against BusConnects)
    10. [I] put up with all of the above on Dublin Bus for 30 years, so this isn't just me being anti public transport (Cork isn't Dublin. Cork has a fraction of the public transport that Dublin has. Even without BusConnects, Cork will still need significant investment)
    11. The problem is that it only suits a minority in Ireland and that's why it just doesn't and will likely never work well enough to be a genuinely attractive alternative, which is essential if it's to succeed. (this doesn't state WHICH people it doesn't suit, or WHY it doesn't suit them. Even if this statement were true, it's quite possible that BusConnects proposals would suit these people. It's just a vague statement with nothing to back it up)

So yeah....I've wasted my time replying to all that uninformed rubbish so that nobody else needs to.

Kaiser, I suggest having a read of the BusConnects background documentation around multi-trip journeys, scheduling etc. You might find it interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Quoting my own post here, as I just saw this article.

It seems that the Irish government has raised the peril that they're in, and is the only country to join the Swiss government in oral arguments against a group of grannies that took their government to court over a lack of action over climate change. I knew about the other case with the children, but this one is new for me.

A loss here would automatically throw the government plans into chaos, as they're currently totally inadequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭cantalach

As well as watering down of the bus corridors in BusConnects 2.0, some ped/cycling provisions have also been quietly dropped.

The bottom of the Well Road is quite dangerous for peds and cyclists thanks to a very narrow footpath on one side, and a high stone wall on the other. See screenshot below.

BusConnects 1.0 proposed to connect two adjacent culs-de-sac to form a completely separate parallel route for peds and cyclists. Unfortunately, local councillor Terry Shannon (FF) lives just off the Well Road. He sent out leaflets which essentially orchestrated a huge NIMBY response from people in these culs-de-sac. It was real scare mongering stuff about how a ped/cycling right-of-way would lead to anti-social behaviour. Seems to have worked. Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Terry Shannon wants BusConnects to be scrapped in its entirety to keep his well heeled chums from being inconvenienced in anyway. This was his contribution when it was first launched last year. He's an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Unfortunately he is a reflection of a lot of his constituents, especially those in his age bracket. This will play well for him.

Oh I know he is. People who will never use the bus dictating how those bus services should be provided to those who do use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gooseman12

Submissions on the latest round of consultation have started showing on the nta site now, https://consult.nationaltransport.ie/en/consultation/busconnects-cork-sustainable-transport-corridors-preferred-route-option-public-consultation-round-2

More of the same to be honest, no one wants anything to change anywhere, especially not anywhere in their own area.

It is depressing reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I used to do a big update on all of the changes in Cork City construction and infrastructure on the Cork Developments thread I made when there was so much promise for the city around 2016-2018 but I gave up because of an utterly inert central government, huge NIMBYism and local government support for NIMBYism around any public transport and developer land hoarding. It’s depressing as you say. Im much happier just not paying attention to anything anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

So, so depressing. Trying to get any sort of improvement in Cork is a massive uphill battle. People love to complain about Cork, but when push comes to shove, nobody wants anything that might affect them in the slightest to change.

Lots of the submissions follow a fairly set template:

• I drive everywhere, and I think you'll be making traffic worse.
    • Also, you're removing some parking, and I don't want that because I sometimes park my car there.
    • People will drive faster and/or use rat runs through estates.
    • Antisocial behavior will happen because reasons.
    • I can't use public transport because [insert excuse here]

You forgot "nobody cycles and also the lots of people who cycle are all too young and fit"

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Crikey, just had a read of the Maryborough hill submissions, an absolute NIMBY whingefest.

And, I suddenly love trees, nature and my garden.

They could save a lot of typing by saying ",Don't do any of it, me me me me me".

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

I read the rest of the south side submissions. The Maryborough ones were by far the worst of the lot, the other areas were somewhat more balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Saw this on Twitter this morning. You could play NIMBY bingo with the list.

This shouldn't be on though. So many of the points listed are opinion (at best) and misguided/incorrect. No contact info for the group on the page either.

Also, if this is what they (whoever they are!) are putting in print, I can only imagine the scaremongering that goes on when they are speaking off-the-record on the doorsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wierd how this nimby states with 100% confidence what the precise impacts on traffic and travel will be. The most advanced traffic modelling programmes in the world could not offer you this level of certainty.

Did he submit a methodology section? How were these conclusions derived and were the results presented to the NTA? perhaps they could better calibrate their models based on his calcs ?

Does Ballincolig have more nimbys per capita than other places? A bunch of them now giving out about a greenway, a local councillor on their side claiming it must be changed because it would disturb their peace. Wasn't it Ballincolig that had the save our right turn signs and the ridiculous staged anti cycle path video of a car stopping to let people cross a road?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭BagofWeed

BC will be watered down to being as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike which sadly is the preferential Irish way. Cork is rotten from traffic and I frankly think it's the peoples fault, as any plans to fix problems are seen as a threat that has to be countered. Backward people. The sooner we have people of migrant background in positions of power the better.

It's definitely the people's fault. There's a cultural problem and it's going to take a long time to turn around.

There was a cork beo ( i know not the height of journalistic prowess ) article a few weeks back that reported on an overturned car on summerhill south ,

,most of article was giving out about bus connects , pretty much Blamed bus connects for the crash , didn't mention that this is a proposed traffic change ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Nothing annoys me more than seeing public representatives call for "dialogue" and "consultation with residents" when plans are released for actual public consultation. They know full well how public consultation works, but telling NIMBYs to engage with the process isn't a vote winner I guess and you can't let a press release go to waste.

Another round of consultation in the works to further water down the proposals. And this is long before we get to any sort of planning process and the inevitable objections etc.

I'd say just cancel at this stage and save the money. The NTA does not take this project serioisly. Dublins proposed bus corridors have morphed into road widening schemes for additional traffic lanes and parking with each consultation. There are no several locations where bus connects is proposing to remove the independence and safety of disabled pedestrians with their road widening. Cork will be worse, it'll be a motorway by the time it goes to planning

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gooseman12

Totally agree, just pull the plug until they are prepared to make some hard decisions and do it properly. Anything else at this point is throwing good money after bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Removal of parking for residents in the inner city is going to be a real bone of contention: these are not high-income neighbourhoods, and people living there won’t have bought a car unless they needed one. Those cars won’t just vanish just because the City Council has decided that people can’t park anywhere anymore.

Can they not just make a bloody decision, they've consulted enough and all that's happening is it gets watered down a bit more each time. Enough of going to the public!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Bus lanes dropped in favour of right turn lanes for private cars.. bus gates removed..

Why even bother. This is depressing stuff.

€200m Bus Connects getting watered down.

€280m bypass for Macroom opened today, will save 17 minutes for those travelling by private car.

It's clear to see where priorities lie - with the NIMBYs and private cars vs public transport and sustainable options.

We have no hope of meeting 2030 climate targets.

Same happened to South Dublin corridors, footpaths became turning lanes and the independence of the mobility impared was removed, DMURS, the national cycle manual and all international best practice was ignored.

Ballincollig Main Street is actually laughable. Street parking retained (despite there being literally thousands of off street car spaces within a few metres of the Main Street) in the latest plans now and the priority bus gates have disappeared.

It's literally the status quo with a couple of narrow bike lanes thrown in. There's a serious NIMBY element out in Ballincollig who seem to get whatever they want - see the recent scrapping of the cycleway out there. Ballincollig is destined to remain a car clogged hole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Last time I checked buses and trucks were allowed to use the new N22 as well as private cars. It takes heavy traffic out of three towns and villages in a rural area, freeing them up for residents.

It's not in any way relevant to BusConnects in the city.

I saw online that there's a very vocal anti cycle lane councillor who owns some sort of car or tyre business. Clearly he's using his position in a very unethical manner. But they seem to be very anti cycling there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Cork City Council currently have a number of active conusltations on changes to bus stops/termini to accommodate BusConnects under Section 38 of the Road Traffic Act 1994;

Maybe they have learned a lesson and are looking to progress some basic works required to facilitate changes to the network under a separate process to the corridors which are going to drag on for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

These are changes to facilitate the new network which is due to start being implemented next year.

There have been similar changes made in Dublin to facilitate the different phases so far as needed.

I dont think "curb your enthusiasm" was suggesting that the macroom bypass had anything to do with bus connects -

But more a constant "we'll just do this next road project and then get serious about public transport " type attitude,

And we all want that little improvement on the little bit of road we use - plus ,obviously ,when we become mainly car users we're not public transport users and are unlikely to "go back" to using public transport.. ( unless its far cheaper,quicker+ more reliable than private cars )

So from a politicans view , a public transport project that inconvieniences locals car drivers,to provide service to possibly non vocal non voters is always a worse bet than " we'll upgrade this junction "

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I’m mentally disengaging from the BusConnects project now. Reading residents’ submissions and councillors’ statements doesn’t do me any good. The complete watering down of the project, to the point that it is now a whole lot of nothing, is a terrible indictment of where we are as a society and of our leaders’ ability to effect meaningful change.

Cork gets what Cork deserves it's a kip bereft of innovation or progress.

Harsh ,- probably true but still harsh -

Anything that councils and councillors / representatives can lean on is always going to get watered down to nothing - no matter how much its in public interest -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cork GAA come out against Busconnects lol, and I thought things were bad in Dublin, they're doing their best to stop Busconnects down yonder

Help Us Save Beaumont Quarry - Cork Nature Network

These people are actually sick altogether. This city will never progress. We should have a protest outside these peoples houses.

STC J - Mahon to City | National Transport Authority Consultation Portal

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I will say, it is actually a lovely little park. Probably one of the most unique I've ever seen in Ireland. It is full of wildflowers, butterflies, native trees and unique scenery.

It isn't just your usual crappy field or city park of just some grass, etc. which I wouldn't be bothered with.

Having said that, the impact to the park seems to be very light, just a dozen trees on the edge of the park, mostly relatively young trees, not the thicker ones behind them.

Those submissions about the quarry are unreal, talking about “wrecking” the amenity, etc. The impact to the quarry is absolutely minimal. The plan proposes to CPO a tiny strip of land - looks about 2.5 metres wide - along the western perimeter of the quarry. They would fell about 12 trees but plant 15, if I’m counting correctly. This will make space for a segregated 2-way cycle track on that side of the road, and a bus lane on the other side of the road. The stuff about doing it to create parking spaces is disingenuous because the parking spaces seem to be accommodated entirely within the tightened apex of the turn from Churchyard Lane to Boreenmanna Road. The reality is that the parking spaces are a necessary bone being thrown to the GAA and IRFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

There is an archway proposed to go through an old wall in Ballincollig, sadly mis information means people think it's being knocked but the proposal is to build in an archway for pedestrians.

What's even funnier is the 2 huge archways for cars only 3m around the corner and an existing pedestrian archway, which I think adds character.

I think people should be allowed voice opposition but it should be truthful and not spreading lies as no wonder nothing gets done.

See here where the petition to save it, makes it sound like it's being removed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement