We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Cork - BusConnects

124»

Comments

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The problem with that approach was, as I said, that the Dublin Choices report was simply too high level, and to be honest the population responding was rather skewed towards those with a specific interest in the topic.

It clearly wasn’t what people wanted as the result of the first draft proved in relation to existing journeys to/from the city.

This just demonstrates that the public really don't know what they want and that there's only so much use to a public consultation.

donvito99 wrote: »
    This just demonstrates that the public really don't know what they want and that there's only so much use to a public consultation.

Well actually, they generally do know what they want when a detailed plan is presented.

When extremely high level and simplistic options (or questions) are presented or posed, you can get a very skewed response because people don’t fully understand the implications.

That original choices report was far too high level and simplistic.

The number of responses to the first draft network proposal I think would counter your theory didn’t know what they wanted. They didn’t want changing to the degree it required, that much was clear.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well actually, they generally do know what they want when a detailed plan is presented.

When extremely high level and simplistic options (or questions) are presented or posed, you can get a very skewed response because people don’t fully understand the implications.

That original choices report was far too high level and simplistic.

The number of responses to the first draft network proposal I think would counter your theory didn’t know what they wanted. They didn’t want changing to the degree it required, that much was clear.

I’ve been changing buses on my commutes for years. It’s grand when there both frequent and have enough capacity. Maybe it’s a fear of the unknown?

I wonder how much opposition was stoked up by opportunistic politicians who thought they could start a local campaign and get their name out there .

I’ve been changing buses on my commutes for years. It’s grand when there both frequent and have enough capacity. Maybe it’s a fear of the unknown?

I wonder how much opposition was stoked up by opportunistic politicians who thought they could start a loca
    l campaign and get their name out there .

I would agree with the emboldened section.

However, without digressing too much, the original BusConnects network proposal, while developing the Spines and introducing many new orbital routes:

* Involved removing many existing direct connections to/from the city centre
    * Actually reduced the number of buses going through the city centre (thereby reducing capacity)
    * Redirected many routes to local DART/LUAS stations/stops onto rail based services that were already jammed
    * Often featured low frequency connecting services (30/60 mins) at outer areas replacing direct links to/from the city
    * Was introducing these without putting the necessary infrastucture in place to guarantee that the connecting service from the city would arrive on time to meet that low frequency outer route
    * Removed bus services from many existing routes altogether redirecting people onto main roads

That was all produced on the basis of an online survey which asked very simplistic, high level questions, about attitudes towards changing en route, but didn't mention removing existing direct connections to/from the city centre, low frequency connecting routes for certain areas, enforced transfers to/from LUAS/DART etc.

My point being that if you ask a set of simple questions, you can get a desired result very easily from the questionnaire.

The devil, especially when it comes to public transport networks, is in the detail. That's what led to the far superior network in the final proposal.

Hence I think they need to just get on with this and focus on producing the revised network in Cork that:

*Delivers Spines with integrated timetables on them at high frequency
    *Greatly enhances the number of orbital services (and at high frequency) - these are key as these are the ones that really aren't served by public transport in any of our cities - they are the ones that can deliver results through changing with Spine services

If the "Choices" report is just a statement towards that, then fine, but if it is another high level online survey, then frankly I view it as pointless, as it would be nothing more than a box ticking exercise.

The design team will learn far more from the responses to the detailed plan that they produce about what people want, and it's important that at the same time that they make it clear that the plan can be changed to meet those needs.

And the Choices Report has been published.....

https://busconnects.ie/busconnects-cork/

Trains are very expensive to run

Wow.

Society & Culture