Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So, here's the thing, what about family coming over from mainland UK? Are they a risk in self catering accommodation?
    If you mean the easing of restrictions in Phase 3 then of course every single visitor to this county or any county in Ireland or any off shore islands is an increased risk. But the government have stipulated what needs to be done so if people adhere to that then the risk factor should decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

So, here's the thing, what about family coming over from mainland UK? Are they a risk in self catering accommodation?

Shouldn't you be asking if people coming from a country that handled the outbreak so badly pose a risk to people here?

Its been a few weeks now since we had posts in this thread. I suppose things were ticking over as best as we could hope for but I just heard on the RTE news that there are 5 new cases reported today in Donegal. That's worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Oh blimy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

That’s probably the staycations kicking in. Anyone know which locality they were in?

• Advertisement

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Anyone know which locality they were in?
    No idea. They just stated 5 in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I really think a lot of young people and plenty not so young are doing their own thing now as regards meeting up with very little or no social distancing and having young ones of my own I can only remind them of the dangers and that the virus is still out there.

Will we ever get back to normal??

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

I heard last week that the local GAA clubs were doing testing of players and a junior in Glenties and one in the Cross were discovered and both unaware and asymptotic. Further developments from two sources in the Cross with another case and several suspected related to the GAA players with quite a number of young ones sent to quarantine from yesterday

md23040 wrote: »
    I heard last week that the local GAA clubs were doing testing of players and a junior in Glenties and one in the Cross were discovered and both unaware and asymptotic. Further developments from two sources in the Cross with another case and several suspected related to the GAA players with quite a number of young ones sent to quarantine from yesterday
    Local rumour has it that there are 5 family members from the Cross area who have tested positive.

Another rumour has it that there is a cluster of up to 10 people in the Drumkeen area who have also tested positive but there isn't anything official about that and I do have to stress its merely a rumour at this time.

On an official level I see Donegal has recorded a further 4 cases in this evening's press release...up to midnight on Thursday. That's an increase of 12 in the last 8 days

Another 5 cases listed today which is a total of 17 since the beginning of the month up to Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Heard of ones as well who don't want to go and get tested because they know they have it.
    I'm sure there a lot like that. As long as they self isolate, no issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Heard of ones as well who don't want to go and get tested because they know they have it.
    I'm sure there a lot like that. As long as they self isolate, no issue with it

There is an issue. If they do have it (which they can’t know without a test) then all close contacts from 2 days before first symptoms have to be traced and tested. That is how you break the chain of transmission.
    Self isolating after they have symptoms isn’t enough.

What happens if they get sicker? They still don’t know what they have.

The advice is simple. If you have symptoms or have been in contact with a confirmed case contact your GP. If they say you should get tested go and get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know. I'm not saying they're right. But as we've seen many times during all this, some people only care about themselves.
    So if the best we can get from them is self isolation then will take that at least, but unfortunately some don't want to miss that big house party.

I see Dr Dara Scally has posted this on her Facebook page........
    Be careful my friends. Coronavirus is here in Letterkenny. I don't know why we, the public, aren't told what's going on. But me the doctor is. There's a huge cluster here. Please stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah thats been doing the rounds all evening. Dismissed it as scaremongering til i realised who it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely it'll show on the official figures then.

Official figures run 24-48 hours behind ‘real time’. They aren’t notified the second they occur. Figures are only given at county level to protect the confidentiality of patients so it won’t be revealed if they occur in Letterkenny. Immediately there is speculation about who it might be and by a process of Chinese whispers everyone off work for whatever reason is branded first a a possible then as a certain case.

If someone you were in close contact with tests positive you will be contacted. If you have any possible symptoms contact your GP. Don’t spend your time trying to figure out if someone you know MIGHT be infected.

There is coronavirus spreading in our county, with positive cases identified every day for over a week. Yes we should be careful and follow the public health advice to wash our hands, wear a face covering in shops and other indoor areas and limit the number of people we are in contact with. We need to keep doing this for the foreseeable future no matter what the figures are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Everyone at work today was commenting on that post, thought it was extremely unprofessional from the doctor to just throw out a 'statement' with no real proof and no context as to what huge means.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

Everyone at work today was commenting on that post, thought it was extremely unprofessional from the doctor to just throw out a 'statement' with no real proof and no context as to what huge means.

I'm really glad to see this, from reading the "you're the best dr in the world" posts on Facebook I thought I was in a tiny minority. Hugely unprofessional in my opinion, and scaremongering to the point people who need to see the dr will avoid the surgery fearing its crawling with covid even though the gps refer you to o Donnell park over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Moragle wrote:
    I'm really glad to see this, from reading the "you're the best dr in the world" posts on Facebook I thought I was in a tiny minority. Hugely unprofessional in my opinion, and scaremongering to the point people who need to see the dr will avoid the surgery fearing its crawling with covid even though the gps refer you to o Donnell park over the phone

Thankfully I haven't heard one single person praising her. Let's face we all know it's in Letterkenny, it's everywhere, but now to the rest of the country we sound like a leper colony. I know it's the end of the holiday season but this would usually be the time retirees decide to spend a few days away, we've not a hope of those staying in Letterkenny now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

My thoughts exactly, good to see there are more level headed people om here than those on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Someone posted a video today on FB. A HSE van in Fortwell. Hearing many rumors but without anything concrete I won't post those, going to be a lot of frightened people in the town in the coming days.

Someone posted a video today on FB. A HSE van in Fortwell. Hearing many rumors but without anything concrete I won't post those, going to be a lot of frightened people in the town in the coming days.

The HSE don’t send out vans to the location of positive cases.
    If Covid travels as fast as rumours we must all be infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Porthallian

echo beach wrote: »

Why was the van there then? What I mean is, in what scenario do they send out a van?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

echo beach wrote: »

Heard from someone whose son lives in Fortwell apartments, he saw the 'men in spacesuits at three in the morning and the mobile unit'. Either he was tripping balls or something was actually going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Article here says there've only been 3 or 4 cases in Letterkenny in the past two weeks and that the doctor was on holiday last week when she posted her comments.

https://donegalnews.com/2020/08/growing-number-of-cases-now-scattered-across-county/
    After going 23 days without a single Covid-19 case in May/June, Donegal has had twenty-five new cases over the last 14 days. Of these, 20 were found to be in the 25-54 year age group.

Included in those cases are ‘three or four’ in Letterkenny which prompted local GP, Dr Dara Scally, to take to social media earlier this week.

Dr Scally from the Scally, McDaid, Roarty Medical Practice in Letterkenny, sparked fear in the local community when she claimed that there was a huge cluster of cases in Letterkenny.

“Be careful my friends. Coronavirus is here in Letterkenny. I don’t know why we, the public, aren’t told what’s going on. But me the doctor is. There’s a huge cluster here. Please stay safe,” read her post to Facebook on Monday afternoon.

The following afternoon, Tuesday, Dr Scally let her followers know that she was on holiday this week and was not taking calls but stood by her ‘truthful’ post.

Only one case in hospital which is good news at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Was in LUH today getting bloods done. Nurse said to expect substantial increases in positive cases in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭malinheader

14 cases in Donegal today.
    Not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

14 cases in Donegal today.
    Not looking good
    More to come. A taxi driver was doing his job during the day and going to soccer and GAA training and the pub in the evenings. Pub and clubs closed now. Everybody at the pub and the clubs traced but taxi customers not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭malinheader

Heighway61 wrote: »
    More to come. A taxi driver was doing his job during the day and going to soccer and GAA training and the pub in the evenings. Pub and clubs closed now. Everybody at the pub and the clubs traced but taxi customers not possible.

Not good. I was hoping we could get back to a wee bit of normality but the way the figures are rising I fear were heading the way of more restrictions again.

Advertisement