Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Technique

Ralphyroo wrote: »
    Numbers in letterkenny hospital down from 37 to 34 and only 2 in ICU with 7 vacant beds. Hopefully a sign that things are starting to improve

Where did you get those numbers?

Not disputing, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Technique wrote: »
    Where did you get those numbers?

Not disputing, just curious.

It was on the website that can't be named, so I know it should probably be taken with a heap of salt! But they had the right information when there was 37 in hospital, that was reflected in the hse statement the same day so I've no reason to disbelieve it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Group of 6 young lads all around 10 years old loitering outside my house on their bikes and shouting abuse at other kids who are in their back garden, where the fook are the parents?! Would you report it or would it be wasting Gardaí time...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Report it to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I find it funny seeing Muttley replying to Mutley.

But yeah, report it. Whether they get there before the kids leave is another thing. And since they have their bikes, they can't take off across fields or anything when they see the gardaí coming.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I find it funny seeing Muttley replying to Mutley.
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I went out to the shop today. On the way back just before my house I met a group of about 20. 2 or 3 kids on bikes but the rest were adults, two pushing prams. I don't know who they were. This is the second time people have travelled to our back roads to go for a walk. The other time was a local landowner with his wife and granddaughter. They live two villages away and told me they couldn't walk at there own place as they are supposed to be cocooning and not supposed to be out at all.

What is wrong with people? A local woman died from the virus last week. Have they no gumption at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I went out to the shop today. On the way back just before my house I met a group of about 20. 2 or 3 kids on bikes but the rest were adults, two pushing prams. I don't know who they were. This is the second time people have travelled to our back roads to go for a walk. The other time was a local landowner with his wife and granddaughter. They live two villages away and told me they couldn't walk at there own place as they are supposed to be cocooning and not supposed to be out at all.

What is wrong with people? A local woman died from the virus last week. Have they no gumption at all.

They seem to think that by going somewhere out of their own place that they will be immune to the virus, and of coarse hopefully no one will see them
    Sometimes I think older folk have less sense than teenagers
    I have a teenager in the house and fair play to her and her 5 close friends they are doing so well. It will be 5 weeks tomorrow since they last met up although the do chat on facetime

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Anybody else here about there being a pub open in Moville? I'm hearing this 3rd or 4th hand so don't even know if it's true or the name of the establishment

Anybody else here about there being a pub open in Moville? I'm hearing this 3rd or 4th hand so don't even know if it's true or the name of the establishment
    It wouldn't surprise me and if anyone has knowledge of this they should notify the gardai.

Just to add that we can't allow the naming of an individual or an establishment

• Advertisement

I did hear that hairdressers were supposedly told they can reopen from next week or soon. Not sure what else could be reopening.

I was thinking when people are told they can go back to work, they'll probably wait another week until they can get to a hairdresser, otherwise everyone will know they're naturally brunette/grey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Please let it be true that the hairdressers are reopening, I'm in desperate need.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I did hear that hairdressers were supposedly told they can reopen from next week or soon. Not sure what else could be reopening.

I was thinking when people are told they can go back to work, they'll probably wait another week until they can get to a hairdresser, otherwise everyone will know they're naturally brunette/grey

I wonder will hairdressers wear full PPE gear, at least for the first while? I'd say it will be at least a few weeks until they re-open.

Please let it be true that the hairdressers are reopening, I'm in desperate need.:pac:[

By the time they are open it will be hedge clippers we will need :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Please let it be true that the hairdressers are reopening, I'm in desperate need.:pac:

Any reopening of business will be on the basis of social distancing. There is no way of washing someone’s hair from 2m so hairdressers are likely to be among the last to open.

PPE is still in short supply. There is no way it could be used for hairdressers.

I hear scarfs are the now high fashion.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sea swimmer

What does July and August look like in Donegal without the Irish College students? Will "visitors" be welcomed, with caution? I suppose nonbody knows. Curious to hear opinions, tho'.

What does July and August look like in Donegal without the Irish College students? Will "visitors" be welcomed, with caution? I suppose nonbody knows. Curious to hear opinions, tho'.
    I think you answered your own question.

As to whether people will be welcomed or not I think most locals will so NO in the current climate but if by some miracle things should return to something near normality then you would be greeted with outstretched arms :)

echo beach wrote: »
    Any reopening of business will be on the basis of social distancing. There is no way of washing someone’s hair from 2m so hairdressers are likely to be among the last to open.

Sure just use a decent power washer. Good range so will be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭malinheader

I happened to be chatting to the owner of a hairdressers today. She couldn't see how it could work at the moment and wouldn't feel right asking her staff as she still feels we haven't seen the worst yet.

Where will these visitors go. Everywhere is closed. And even scenic or beauty spots are not open for locals or visitors. Never seen my grandchildren for 5 weeks and that's the only visitors I am waiting to see at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

We live in England and enjoyed breaks in Letterkenny last year,a long weekend at Mcgettigans and a week in a cottage along the Ramelton Road.
    Gutted we can`t return this year but hopefully next.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabletiesfix

With all the 5000+ gatherings banned until September an awful lot if festivals around the county will be cancelled.

The Clonmany festival is the only thing that keeps the town going for the rest of the year. Could be a rough time ahead for some towns

Neighbor and family members all together tonight out the back of family home including a family friend
    First time I have seen them do it
    people are going to get fed up and take chances I would say that's the start of it for this family.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

lulu1 wrote: »
    Neighbor and family members all together tonight out the back of family home including a family friend
    First time I have seen them do it
    people are going to get fed up and take chances I would say that's the start of it for this family.

I hear reports on the radio news too that there is a noticeable increase in cars on the roads. I have noticed it myself on the road past my house.

I do think some people have had enough at this stage, and that's why the gov simply will have to try to ease restrictions somewhat, or else many will just ignore them anyway.

As for family members getting together, perhaps that's not as hateful as it sounds. I was just saying to the OH last night, our family have been isolating and her sisters family have all been isolating too. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the kids actually met up for a chat and kept their distance, as none of them have had any symptoms for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It needs to happen, simple as that. The point of lockdown has always been to flatten the curve so that the health services aren't overwhelmed.

Well they're not. The ICUs both Derry and Letterkenny are half empty. The capacity is there to deal with a surge twice as big as the worst so far.

I'm not saying we go back to how it was. Those high risk people should remain cautious and self isolate. But life must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It needs to happen, simple as that. The point of lockdown has always been to flatten the curve so that the health services aren't overwhelmed.

Well they're not. The ICUs both Derry and Letterkenny are half empty. The capacity is there to deal with a surge twice as big as the worst so far.

I'm not saying we go back to how it was. Those high risk people should remain cautious and self isolate. But life must go on.

And as much as people say economy doesn't matter when it comes to lives, well it does.

The grim figures we heard the other day about the economy and the massive unemployment figures etc were based on us being closed for 3 months. If this is stretched out until the end of the year, it will be catastrophic for the nation.

We simply have to get back to some sort of normality asap. We can't keep paying a large section of the population to sit at home and do nothing.

It might mean that those in danger will have to look after themselves more closely but we have to remember that the vast majority of people are healthy and will want life to go on. You can only tell them to sit in for so long. Take it too far and you will simply have people ignoring it and social unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Exactly.

Opening completely and going back to how it was is daft and will cost lives due to the virus.

Staying closed indefinitely is daft and will cost lives due to the long term effects of a recession.

There has to be balance. Yet most people I say this to wisely inform me that I must be a Donald Trump fan who values the economy over lives...

Alot of us in Donegal are in rural areas. We can go for beautiful walks and are fairly well isolated from others by our location and the lockdown is getting harder every week.
    Bearing this in mind I feel for anyone in a built up area probably in a small flat or apartment, surrounded by nothing but more houses and buildings. This is why I think an extension to the lockdown without any compromise will lead to big problems. France is seeing this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Our nearest neighbour is 2km away. It’s a blessing in disguise at the moment!

• Advertisement

I really hope some of the restrictions are lifted after the 5th may, but i'm sure people will still be wary for a long time afterwards.

Just read a post from an inishowen girl who contracted the virus in the nursing home where she worked. She said she has friends who also tested positive and were been treated like leapars by other people. She said the ignorance was unbelieveable .Someone commented it wasn't ignorance but fear she did'nt agree

Advertisement