Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Disappointing that neither Tesco or Dunnes Letterkenny are offering a click and collect service at this time. Thinking about going to Strabane to avail of AZDA's service.
    Tesco were doing that a while ago. Didn't know they stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

muffler wrote: »
    Tesco were doing that a while ago. Didn't know they stopped.

According to Tesco.ie the nearest store with this service is Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Firblog wrote: »
    That could explain it alright, if they're not testing as many then they're not going to have as many positives.

Testing in the UK is well below what we've been doing so they're likely missing a lot more cases than we are, we're testing twice as many people per capita here and it was even more than that before the UK finally started ramping up this past week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Testing in the UK is well below what we've been doing so they're likely missing a lot more cases than we are, we're testing twice as many people per capita here and it was even more than that before the UK finally started ramping up this past week

Who's doing the tests in Donegal? GPs or clinics?

The testing centre out at the rugby club in Derry is only handing out self test kits which are a joke in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JoannieG

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Who's doing the tests in Donegal? GPs or clinics?

The testing centre out at the rugby club in Derry is only handing out self test kits which are a joke in my opinion.

The testing is happening in newly set-up centres, eg O'Donnell Park and at St. Conal's. They're manned by HSE staff who have been redeployed from other duties. Some paramedics are still doing testing in homes where the person cannot get to a centre but I think there's very little of that happening now. A lot more HSE staff have been trained but haven't been needed for the testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

JoannieG wrote: »
    The testing is happening in newly set-up centres, eg O'Donnell Park and at St. Conal's. They're manned by HSE staff who have been redeployed from other duties. Some paramedics are still doing testing in homes where the person cannot get to a centre but I think there's very little of that happening now. A lot more HSE staff have been trained but haven't been needed for the testing.
    Gotcha.

That's how it started in Derry, redeployed nurses doing it. Then they opened a site at the rugby club but they're just handing out self test kits.

These swabs are not a job for self testing. There's little chance in my opinion that people are going to go deep enough for a reliable result. I've seen them done and they're bloody uncomfortable.

As the nurse I spoke with said, if you're not gagging hard and your eyes watering, it's not done right.

So I emailed the HSE and asked for clarification on which counties or parts thereof were contained in the "Northwest Region" and needless to say I still didnt get an explanation. I did receive a stock reply a couple of weeks later with some links which maybe someone might find helpful. I also received a further email (my question still not answered) last Friday and it also contains a couple of links which are interesting. These are the replies I got...........

As you may be aware on the 27th of March, the Government urged everyone to
    stay in their homes wherever possible, until the 12th of April. Staying at
    home is the best way to minimise the risk of COVID-19 to your friends,
    families and communities. Further details can be found here:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/539d23-stay-at-home-the-latest-public-health-measures-to-prevent-the-spread/

As you can appreciate, the situation with Covid-19 is evolving rapidly and
    information is constantly being updated. Therefore, we are asking people to
    visit the following links to access the latest information on Covid-19:
    · HSE website re Covid-19
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus.html .
    · HPSC website which is updated 1pm daily
    https://www.hpsc.ie/az/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/
    · Department of Health
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/e58285-the-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/

The travel advice and the list of countries affected by COVID-19 continues
    to evolve. For the latest travel advice and information on COVID-19 please
    visit the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    (www.dfa.ie, or download the Travelwise App).
    I hope this information will be of assistance.

Information on minding your mental health during the Covid-19 outbreak is
    available on the HSE’s website at the following link:
    https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/mental-health/minding-your-mental-health-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak.html
    Apologies for the delay in reply to you. I wish to refer to your recent correspondence in relation to Covid-19.

All the latest and most up to date statistics in relation to Covid-19 can be found at the following links.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/0039bc-view-the-covid-19-coronavirus-dashboard-showing-the-latest-stats-and/?referrer=/covid19dashboard/
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/
    I hope that this will be of assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So what places have reopened around Letterkenny this week? Homebase? Halfords? Watson?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Anyone know when the playgrounds are reopening? Glenties/Killybegs/Ardara all still locked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Horrible question, but I have been googling and searched on here with no luck so far.

Are there figures for death due to Covid by county?

Thank you

Just wondering the same thing...

Seems like they dont want us to know.

I havent seen that data available for any county but it could be available somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I hear right on Highland this morning that we haven't had a new CV19 case in 3 weeks?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did I hear right on Highland this morning that we haven't had a new CV19 case in 3 weeks?
    You did indeed. The total figure has actually dropped from 477 to 469. Im not sure how they re-classify individual cases but in any event its been 3 weeks since a new case has been recorded here which is brilliant

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Post-mortem testing of suspected cases that were in the original declaration; bit morbid but it's needed to give us good data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

muffler wrote: »
    its been 3 weeks since a new case has been recorded here which is brilliant

It is very good but the news from China today of a new outbreak two months after the last cases were detected shows there is still a long way to go.
    An easing of restrictions is welcome but it is still wise to limit contacts with others and stay local. Keep washing your hands well and often and staying 2m away from other people. Go shopping for what you need, not just to get out of the house, and wear a mask in the shops.

In Donegal our only worry too about public transport is where we might find some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

echo beach wrote: »
    It is very good but the news from China today of a new outbreak two months after the last cases were detected shows there is still a long way to go.
    An easing of restrictions is welcome but it is still wise to limit contacts with others and stay local. Keep washing your hands well and often and staying 2m away from other people. Go shopping for what you need, not just to get out of the house, and wear a mask in the shops.

In Donegal our only worry too about public transport is where we might find some.

Fortunately our chances of getting it on trains in Donegal is probably lower than anywhere else in the developed world!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I found this on reddit. Not sure where he got his figures but may be of use to the above poster...

b2zd0y9pcp451.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its from this Twitter and the stat sources are at the bottom of the image also

https://twitter.com/irishdataviz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Stats from the Central Statistics Office

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries4/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=COVID%20insights

Border region contains Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Monaghan, Sligo

Some great stats here especially the map which shows the number of confirmed cases by DED (District Electoral Division). Letterkenny and Buncrana areas seem to have the most cases which is not surprising based on the population but a surprise for me is the Killybegs area.

I'm surprised that the figure is so low for Letterkenny Urban. Maybe it's because many of the flat dwellers have gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Technique

You can click on cases per 10,000 people which normalises the data. When you do this you see that places like Fahan and Lifford have been high in relative terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Technique wrote:
    You can click on cases per 10,000 people which normalises the data. When you do this you see that places like Fahan and Lifford have been high in relative terms.

The Nazareth House in Fahan would account for almost all those cases I would say. I'm not sure about Lifford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Technique

Good point, never thought about the nursing home. Is Lifford hospital still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you take out the nursing home cases, it actually is kinda strange to think the county was shutdown for 3 months, with many businesses ruined and so many jobs lost, for so little infection.

Then again I suppose if we had been more open, the case numbers would have been higher.

If you take out the nursing home cases, it actually is kinda strange to think the county was shutdown for 3 months, with many businesses ruined and so many jobs lost, for so little infection.

Then again I suppose if we had been more open, the case numbers would have been higher.

Look at countries that had less effective shutdowns and you can change that suppose to knowing they would have been higher.

Based on the diagnosis time lag, the peak for infections was just before lockdown in most of the country.

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sea swimmer

So, here's the thing, what about family coming over from mainland UK? Are they a risk in self catering accommodation?

Advertisement