Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

lulu1 wrote:
    Just read a post from an inishowen girl who contracted the virus in the nursing home where she worked. She said she has friends who also tested positive and were been treated like leapars by other people. She said the ignorance was unbelieveable .Someone commented it wasn't ignorance but fear she did'nt agree

She's far from a girl at over 60 years old but she'll be on Highland Radio this morning talking about it after 10.30

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JoannieG

Looks like our house has moved about 15km east... Gangs of cyclists (some of whom I know and who are from Letterkenny) spinning past the house this last week. Does this mean that we'll be able to get takeaways delivered now? :) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

She's far from a girl at over 60 years old but she'll be on Highland Radio this morning talking about it after 10.30

I didnt hear the interview but someone was telling me about it

She reckoned there were a few people from Letterkenny who contracted the virus and couldnt tell any one for fear they would be blamed for taking it into the housing estate

Did you see the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Firblog

DrPhilG wrote: »

Well they're not. The ICUs both Derry and Letterkenny are half empty. The capacity is there to deal with a surge twice as big as the worst so far.

Your logic here is quite wrong, you're equating the status of the ICUs now with the worst it has been, it's not. It was worse a couple of weeks ago, when there were not enough beds in the ICU (in LK) for all covid patients never mind others non covid needing that type of care; temp IC beds were being used in theatres; they were close to being at max capacity. You have a false sense of security if you think that we have twice the capacity available to meet the worst that covid has thrown at us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Firblog wrote: »
    Your logic here is quite wrong, you're equating the status of the ICUs now with the worst it has been, it's not. It was worse a couple of weeks ago, when there were not enough beds in the ICU (in LK) for all covid patients never mind others non covid needing that type of care; temp IC beds were being used in theatres; they were close to being at max capacity. You have a false sense of security if you think that we have twice the capacity available to meet the worst that covid has thrown at us yet.

Temporary ICU beds in theatres were part of the surge planning. And the fact they came close to capacity but didn't breach capacity means that the surge planning was successful.

Also if Letterkenny overflowed, they could have transferred out to Derry which was quiet.

Plus the capacity of both ICUs now is a lot more than it was a month ago.

Curves have been flattened. Peaks have been passed. Its time to cautiously loosen the restrictions. Emphasis on cautiously.

• Advertisement

Sorry Dr can't agree with you, at the risk of raising someone's ire for bickerin', your statement that "The capacity is there to deal with a surge twice as big as the worst so far" is just plain wrong, and gives a false sense of security to those who may be thinking that breaking the lock down may not have dire future consequences,

Also AFIK LK won't send any covid patients to Derry until all other hospitals in the group have no room.

Sorry Dr can't agree with you, at the risk of raising someone's ire for bickerin', your statement that "The capacity is there to deal with a surge twice as big as the worst so far" is just plain wrong, and gives a false sense of security to those who may be thinking that breaking the lock down may not have dire future consequences

Letterkenny, OK maybe not twice as big as their worst so far. But they have had a big surge and coped fine. Derry hasn't had much of a surge at all and has considerable capacity.

Do you think full scale lockdown should continue? How long for?

And if LK won't send to Derry until the group is full, well of course not. But the point is that if LK had overflowed, they would have spilled over to the rest of the group and then spilled over the border. At no point has the north west been overrun.

lulu1 wrote:
    She reckoned there were a few people from Letterkenny who contracted the virus and couldnt tell any one for fear they would be blamed for taking it into the housing estate

lulu1 wrote:
    Did you see the post?

I have no Facebook so didn't see it but I know the woman well. I can see her point on a lot of it and heard about a family from another town that couldn't even walk down the road because the father was in hospital with the virus. They had done their 2 weeks quarantine, got the all clear from the tests but people were still giving out to them about going for a walk

This was taken from interview with chief exec of saolta group on 9th Apr here

"“Last week in Letterkenny [University Hospital] for example, its ICU reached capacity so the next person who required ICU care was transferred to Galway"

So LK couldn't manage the worst so far never mind twice as bad. I don't know how you can say it 'coped fine' when it had to send a critically ill patient to Galway.

No harm to you, I've heard others say much the same thing, the curve was flattened, there were no big problms, lets loosen the restrictions... The thing is i've not heard one person who actually works in one of the hospitals saying that, and until I do I think the present restrictions should remain in force and be enforced.

After May 5th? I don't know, depending on what the experts say i'd hope that schools will reopen in some fashion, especially national schools and leaving cert classes; shops/businesses should be allowed to reopen if they implement safe distancing rules; see how that goes for a month.

If the weather is good and ppl start flocking to beaches etc we could be in for another surge, hopefully not as heat an ultraviolet are meant to dampen its ability to spread; otherwise we could have to lockdown again in mid/late summer or do as Sweden has tried to do and hope for the best.. :eek:

The thing is i've not heard one person who actually works in one of the hospitals saying that, and until I do I think the present restrictions should remain in force and be enforced.

I work in one of the hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭malinheader

Well Dr.Phil.
    Total respect and gratitude to you and all your work mates at this time. And I hope when things get back to a bit of normality you will all get the recognition and rewards that you all deserve and always should of got. The front line services should be the best looked after and supported after this.. Stay safe.

Well Dr.Phil.

I'm not a doctor though, despite the username, lol.

And I hope when things get back to a bit of normality you will all get the recognition and rewards that you all deserve and always should of got.
    Won't happen. Recognition from the public, absolutely. People are very kind and very genuinely appreciative of all front line and key workers.

But reward from government, not a chance. Both Leo & Boris will waffle on about how indebted they are to front line service but when it comes to actually increasing pay for the health services, they'll fight tooth and nail to deny it.

Let me fix my last post then

The thing is i've not heard one person who actually works in a medical/clinical capacity in one of the hospitals saying that,

Generally wouldn't pay to much attention to what the IT/HR/Catering person would recommend to do in a pandemic situation; which is of course the way my views on relaxing the restrictions should be treated too :)

I'm not a doctor though, despite the username, lol.

Won't happen. Recognition from the public, absolutely. People are very kind and very genuinely appreciative of all front line and key workers.

But reward from government, not a chance. Both Leo & Boris will waffle on about how indebted they are to front line service but when it comes to actually increasing pay for the health services, they'll fight tooth and nail to deny it.

Doctor or not, nurse or not. Anyone working in a hospital or medical centre of any kind at this moment in time all deserve the same kind of gratitude and respect no matter what you do.Thank you and stay safe.

RTE now reporting that restrictions on day trippers from the North do not apply and the 2 km restrictions cannot be enforced on people from outside the state by the gardai.
    Also the only way the 2km restrictions apply is if they locate to their holiday homes and make it their permanent residence for lockdown.

RTE now reporting that restrictions on day trippers from the North do not apply and the 2 km restrictions cannot be enforced on people from outside the state by the gardai.
    Also the only way the 2km restrictions apply is if they locate to their holiday homes and make it their permanent residence for lockdown.

Heard it I have no words towns and beaches going to be packed I just want to cuss :mad::mad:

lulu1 wrote: »
    Heard it I have no words towns and beaches going to be packed I just want to cuss :mad::mad:

Makes a complete mockery of what we have been and still are doing.
    This is complete madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Hopefully they close every beach in the county.

We’re 10 mins from Narin and haven’t seen it in 6 weeks, regardless of the weather. This situation is ridiculous.

Makes a complete mockery of what we have been and still are doing.
    This is complete madness

A complete joke We can't go a few miles yet day trippers from the north can travel the length and breadth of the country.

There is no use in talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If they make it mandatory or heavily suggested that people wear masks, where around Letterkenny can they be purchased?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If they make it mandatory or heavily suggested that people wear masks, where around Letterkenny can they be purchased?

I have a few friends who are home helps and got letters from their supervisor that its now mandatory to wear a mask when going to clients

But guess what

They have none to give them

CastorTroy wrote:

I seen a few weeks ago that Simpsons Supermarket had them but don't know if they still do

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We were 6th in the overall list of confirmed cases 12 days ago but thankfully we have now dropped to 10th place as of 25 April.

Dublin 9532
    Kildare 1127
    Cork 1125
    Louth 627
    Meath 626
    Cavan 609
    Wicklow 557
    Mayo 464
    Limerick 457
    Donegal 452

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mr. Price are doing them for 99c each at the counter, maximum of 20.
    Don't do that math.

Found this site, which shows the infection rates per 100,000 of population in each county / borough both North and south, (and other info) from what I can see - and I may well be wrong - infection rates in DL/CN/MN/LH are way above those in neighbouring NI counties.

Seems very strange/illogical that people would travel from NI to places that they're much more likely to catch the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Found this site, which shows the infection rates per 100,000 of population in each county / borough both North and south, (and other info) from what I can see - and I may well be wrong - infection rates in DL/CN/MN/LH are way above those in neighbouring NI counties.

From taking to guys I work with testing is very light on the ground in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

lulu1 wrote: »
    A complete joke We can't go a few miles yet day trippers from the north can travel the length and breadth of the country.

There is no use in talking.

I've noticed a lot more motorbikes on the road for the last few evenings. This must be why.

water-man wrote: »
    From taking to guys I work with testing is very light on the ground in NI.

That could explain it alright, if they're not testing as many then they're not going to have as many positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It is likely that any requirement for the general public to wear masks or face coverings will be for reusable cloth masks, not the disposable surgical masks which are recommended for healthcare workers. Lots of people who are handy with a needle or sewing machine are making them with plenty of examples online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Disappointing that neither Tesco or Dunnes Letterkenny are offering a click and collect service at this time. Thinking about going to Strabane to avail of AZDA's service.

Advertisement