Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I see Terenure are saying they currently have 1,000 members, makes you realise how big some clubs are and makes you wonder what's going to happen with attendance when the season starts. Clubs will be really hoping for the 500 max to be in place by the time it comes around and for games like Terenure Mary's the clubs would want it higher to get some much needed funds into the club.
    There is few fixtures that get near Nure Marys does but a lot of games will be fine for 200
    1000 members but how many actually regularly attend games?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Think the 1,000 Nure members include schoolboys and girls and the 200 figure allowed to attend matches include players, coaches and other backroom staff. Any rugby supporter would be hard pressed to get the same value for the €5 to €10 that you would pay to watch a senior club game.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

There is few fixtures that get near Nure Marys does but a lot of games will be fine for 200

Obviously not 1000, but people are free to attend whatever they want. Lots of our members are old boys who keep renewing on force of habit, and then obviously the minis and youths.

I know my dad is a member but wouldn't really go to games but is his way of supporting the club

Obviously not 1000, but people are free to attend whatever they want. Lots of our members are old boys who keep renewing on force of habit, and then obviously the minis and youths.

I know my dad is a member but wouldn't really go to games but is his way of supporting the club
    I know that but thats where clubs need to be doing far better. There is a lot of clubs with very good membership numbers which dont at all translate near well enough to attending games. That needs to change. Clubs need to engage their members far better to do that.

I know that but thats where clubs need to be doing far better. There is a lot of clubs with very good membership numbers which dont at all translate near well enough to attending games. That needs to change. Clubs need to engage their members far better to do that.

To each their own, I feel we do a decent job in getting a crowd down. Cant tell people how they should support.

Pre match drinks and food help etc and Lakelands being in a residential area.

Cant really speak to other clubs.

• Advertisement

To each their own, I feel we do a decent job in getting a crowd down. Cant tell people how they should support.

Pre match drinks and food help etc and Lakelands being in a residential area.

Cant really speak to other clubs.
    Im just comparing it to GAA and just think a lot of clubs should be doing far more and better to attract people who do actually pay memberships to attend games

Say Terenure are one of the best supported clubs in the country. Always a good crowd at the shed end for AIL games. From my experience they are a well-run community-oriented club that does their best to be welcoming to all. I have to say any match that I’ve been to most of the home clubs seem to make an effort. All clubs should have, at least, a match-day team sheet, so that spectators would know whose playing on both sides on the day.

Aziz Naser after joining Clontarf from Trinity.

Few Malahide lads after joining Bective, don’t have their names and the Malahide 10, Shane O’Brien after leaving them too

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Aziz Naser after joining Clontarf from Trinity.

Few Malahide lads after joining Bective, don’t have their names and the Malahide 10, Shane O’Brien after leaving them too

Panda(A Keating) former Trinity and Garryowen prop to Nure

Panda(A Keating) former Trinity and Garryowen prop to Nure

Hadn’t heard a new prop coming into us, brilliant. Is he any good? Skehan probably knows him from down that way.

• Advertisement

Hadn’t heard a new prop coming into us, brilliant. Is he any good? Skehan probably knows him from down that way.
    When he's in the mood he's very good but can be inconsistent.

Big lad, Good scrummager. On his day will hold his own against any AIL front row. Think he played with Ireland clubs v Scotland clubs last season.

Cheers lads, good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Just anecdotally Nure would seem to have higher than average crowds. Just get that impression from the clubs scene podcast where nearly everyone on it (Guests and hosts) talks about what a horrible place Lakelands is for visiting teams to play.

The thing with Nure Mary's though is its a whole day for the clubs, 5/6 games, a dinner, auctions, special speakers. Sure just between the games that's 240 people accounted for so if the limits aren't increased by then it'll be a serious financial setback for the clubs

Just anecdotally Nure would seem to have higher than average crowds. Just get that impression from the clubs scene podcast where nearly everyone on it (Guests and hosts) talks about what a horrible place Lakelands is for visiting teams to play.

The thing with Nure Mary's though is its a whole day for the clubs, 5/6 games, a dinner, auctions, special speakers. Sure just between the games that's 240 people accounted for so if the limits aren't increased by then it'll be a serious financial setback for the clubs

100%, I try to go to games locally as they suit, Lansdowne obviously doesn’t cover too many number buts Clontarf usually have a decent crew in. The two Uni sides tend to have a more mixed bag of who is knocking around and the old boys

But when we play Marys it is a huge event. Minis in the AM etc, always a messy night!!

Ive been to plenty division 2 clubs that get higher crowds than lot of 1A sides. Nure probably do get higher than average crowds as they unlike plenty of clubs have both a close tie to a big school and also field huge numbers adult teams and underage sides and people support the main team
    Really need to get more days out like nure marys and replicate that.

Ive been to plenty division 2 clubs that get higher crowds than lot of 1A sides. Nure probably do get higher than average crowds as they unlike plenty of clubs have both a close tie to a big school and also field huge numbers adult teams and underage sides and people support the main team
    Really need to get more days out like nure marys and replicate that.

You can be a bit preachy you know Lost Sheep. Obviously we would all like massive crowds but the clubs, I think, know more about what they are doing than a bunch of lads on the internet. Or are trying, it is in their interest after all.

More to be done but you don’t need to bang the drum every 3rd page on clubs doing more etc, your feelings on it are clear.

You can be a bit preachy you know Lost Sheep. Obviously we would all like massive crowds but the clubs, I think, know more about what they are doing than a bunch of lads on the internet. Or are trying, it is in their interest after all.

More to be done but you don’t need to bang the drum every page on clubs doing more etc, your feelings on it are clear.
    There is so much bleating here and other places complaining what irfu dont do for them. well thats clubs not looking to do more or even the right stuff.
    Maybe it is a bit preachy but its realistic.

There is so much bleating here and other places complaining what irfu dont do for them. well thats clubs not looking to do more or even the right stuff.
    Maybe it is a bit preachy but its realistic.

I don’t disagree, and not having a pop, just its a bit copy and paste, your stance on it is clear.

Honestly, Saturday PMs don’t suit lots of people. My brother has two small kids, who do minis in Nure and another one does karate or something, so he is off with them in the morning while his wife minds the 3rd smallie. He can’t very well then swan off for 3 hours to go to a game really.

I’m lucky enough to still be playing on a Saturday, so I miss games, but there are lads who we don’t have every week cause of something to do with their better halves, families etc like weddings or whatever so that’s a factor.

More games on a Friday night would be an easier sell for bigger crowds and a few drinks after and not lose the weekend.

I don’t disagree, and not having a pop, just its a bit copy and paste, your stance on it is clear.

Honestly, Saturday PMs don’t suit lots of people. My brother has two small kids, who do minis in Nure and another one does karate or something, so he is off with them in the morning while his wife minds the 3rd smallie. He can’t very well then swan off for 3 hours to go to a game really.

I’m lucky enough to still be playing on a Saturday, so I miss games, but there are lads who we don’t have every week cause of something to do with their better halves, families etc like weddings or whatever so that’s a factor.

More games on a Friday night would be an easier sell for bigger crowds and a few drinks after and not lose the weekend.
    Saturday afternoon isnt ideal all the time but hard to do much different
    More fridays would be great but its up to clubs to look for them more. its in their power to do it. They try keep fridays to just local games and even then fridays dont suit some with work etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Purple Fox

Anymore Player Signings?

So far Lansdowne and Terenure seem to be the main two recruiting in 1A.

Purple Fox wrote: »
    Anymore Player Signings?

So far Lansdowne and Terenure seem to be the main two recruiting in 1A.

I’ve mates playing/from Old Belvo and they are saying that bar some work, unless you’re in 1A a lot of recruitment put on hold as with no promotion or relegation.

Yeah the All Ireland comps might be nice, but not the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Belvo seem to be blooding a young team for the season ahead which is a good approach. I believe they have lost a couple of academy players though (Martin Moloney gone to Tarf and Roman Salanoa now gone to Munster) and also a rumour that Crosbie is not going to be involved in the season ahead (stand to be corrected on this one).

Understandable outside of 1A with no promotion why clubs aren't that focussed on recruitment - lots of other things to worry about thanks to COVID unfortunately.

100%, I try to go to games locally as they suit, Lansdowne obviously doesn’t cover too many number buts Clontarf usually have a decent crew in. The two Uni sides tend to have a more mixed bag of who is knocking around and the old boys

But when we play Marys it is a huge event. Minis in the AM etc, always a messy night!!

The club days where all the teams play each other are a great idea and should be rolled out across leinster if possible

Stainalert wrote: »
    The club days where all the teams play each other are a great idea and should be rolled out across leinster if possible
    minis, youths, womens(where clubs have sides) and then adult sides. Should happen more nationwide. up to clubs to arrange it though

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭luke9311

Stainalert wrote: »
    Belvo seem to be blooding a young team for the season ahead which is a good approach. I believe they have lost a couple of academy players though (Martin Moloney gone to Tarf and Roman Salanoa now gone to Munster) and also a rumour that Crosbie is not going to be involved in the season ahead (stand to be corrected on this one).

Understandable outside of 1A with no promotion why clubs aren't that focussed on recruitment - lots of other things to worry about thanks to COVID unfortunately.

If I’m not mistaken stevie has set up a business with that kiwi fella that is a coach of j1s or 20s I think valentine something another a 2nd row in his day and a few other lads selling sauna’s maybe business is picking up for him and can’t commit too much I guess only a thought tho as to why he’s not involved this season

SHANNON RFC have confirmed their coaching teams for the 2020/2021 season.

Tadhg Bennett will remain on as head coach with the Division 1B Energia All-Ireland League side.

The head coach will have Pat Brown as an assistant coach. Derek Corcoran, formerly of Nenagh and Young Munster, is Shannon's skills coach.

Any other transfer news?

I assume Naas, Barnhall and Tullamore are affected by the current three county lockdown in terms of training etc

senior cup draw up on leinster website.

• Advertisement

senior cup draw up on leinster website.

Can't find it have you a link

Advertisement