Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AIL 2020-2021

• 04-06-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

No change from last seasons divisions with covid19 calling a halt to proceedings in mid March

1A
    Cork Con, Clontarf, Lansdowne, Trinity, Garryowen, UCD, Young Munster, Terenure, UCC, Ballynahinch
    1B
    Shannon, Old Wesley, Naas, Malone, Banbridge, St Marys, Old Belvedere, Armagh, Highfield, Navan
    2A
    Buccaneers, Ballymena, Cashel, Queens, UL Bohemians, Old Crescent, Dolphin, Nenagh, MU Barnhall, Rainey Old Boys
    2B
    Blackrock, Galwegians, Greystones, Sligo, Dungannon, Corinthians, Wanderers, Belfast Harlequins, Ballina, Malahide
    2C
    Skerries, Sundays Well, Midleton, Bruff, Omagh, City of Derry, Tullamore, Bangor, Enniscorthy, Clonmel

Few coaching changes announced already and refs panel for next season picked with several promotions and changes to that
    https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/arlb-referees-on-the-national-referee-panel-for-2020-21-season/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Matt D'Arcy been named as captain for Clontarf, taking over from Michael Noone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Ronan Foley has been named captain of UCD, replacing Jonny Guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Ronan Foley has been named captain of UCD, replacing Jonny Guy.

Max Kearney captain of DUFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Max Kearney captain of DUFC

Great to see 2 Tarf men captaining teams in 1A 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Jack Dwan - captain of Lansdowne

Any Transfer rumours?

Craig Ronaldson is gone to Naas together with Tim Murphy - good signings for them

Hear Young Munsters have signed Danny Qualter from Nottingham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭luke9311

Stainalert wrote: »
    Jack Dwan - captain of Lansdowne

Any Transfer rumours?

Craig Ronaldson is gone to Naas together with Tim Murphy - good signings for them

Hear Young Munsters have signed Danny Qualter from Nottingham.

Wasn’t aware of ronaldsons move to naas big loss for Lansdowne I’d imagine. I guess foley or that young lad from there 20s set up that was blackrock sct 10 like a year or two ago Madigan I think his name is blonde hair lad will step into 10 position now along with hastie maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Cathal Marsh back from America and signed for Terneure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rugby_oddball

Cathal Sheridan new DOR at UL Bohs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Alex Soroka to Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

Ronaldson in as a player/coach at Naas with Johne Murphy the new DoR?
    Neil Doak and John Andress in as the new Coaches at Belfast Harlequins.
    Wilbur Leacock replacing Chris Henry as head coach at Malone, Chris to take on a consultancy role with the club.
    Conor McKee from QUB to Belfast Harlequins
    Connor McMennamin from Malone to QUB
    Joe Dunleavy from Malone to Hinch
    Conor Rankin from Hinch to Malone
    Conor McAuley from Belfast Harlequins to Hinch
    Jonny Stewart from Banbridge to QUB.

• Advertisement

Alex Soroka to Clontarf.

Colm Hogan from DUFC to Belvo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

luke9311 wrote: »
    Wasn’t aware of ronaldsons move to naas big loss for Lansdowne I’d imagine. I guess foley or that young lad from there 20s set up that was blackrock sct 10 like a year or two ago Madigan I think his name is blonde hair lad will step into 10 position now along with hastie maybe?

Tom Gavigan I think you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

GavMan wrote: »
    Tom Gavigan I think you mean

that was this season, he is thinking of Stephen Madigan, Ldowne's 20's 10.

that was this season, he is thinking of Stephen Madigan, Ldowne's 20's 10.

That’s the one

I think Peter Hastie is still at Lansdowne too. They will always have good players at 10.

I think Peter Hastie is still at Lansdowne too. They will always have good players at 10.

Yeah he’s still there. And then one or two would come up from 20s last year. Dunno if they will bring in another 10 or not tho up to them I suppose but hastie is decent tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Paddy Thornton and Dan van zyl coaching in wicklow next season. Not ail but will likely be pushing for promotion.

Paddy Thornton and Dan van zyl coaching in wicklow next season. Not ail but will likely be pushing for promotion.

Didn't they, Wicklow, relegated to 1B Leinster League so wouldn't be able to get promoted anyway to AIL.

Didn't they, Wicklow, relegated to 1B Leinster League so wouldn't be able to get promoted anyway to AIL.

Thought there’s no promo or relegation in any league this season with the crisis? So then if that’s the case they will be in 1a again next year...

Thought there’s no promo or relegation in any league this season with the crisis? So then if that’s the case they will be in 1a again next year...

Don't think that's decided yet. If anyone's getting promoted it will surely be Monkstown - They have recruited a load of AIL players. Steve McVeigh from UCD, Cormac Brennan and apparently another 3 players from Malahide. They are all on top of the AIL players they recruited last season : Riordan, Lavery & McMickan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Bective are looking to recruit heavily to get back into AIL as I understand with Bernard Jackman at the helm. Tapping back into the St. Michaels connections he had when he was coaching there.

Don't think that's decided yet. If anyone's getting promoted it will surely be Monkstown - They have recruited a load of AIL players. Steve McVeigh from UCD, Cormac Brennan and apparently another 3 players from Malahide. They are all on top of the AIL players they recruited last season : Riordan, Lavery & McMickan

Monkstown promoted from IB and was announced by Leinster Branch a couple of months back. They had one game left and were not in a position to be caught and had won every game.

Monkstown promoted from IB and was announced by Leinster Branch a couple of months back. They had one game left and were not in a position to be caught and had won every game.

I know sorry was referring to their chances of getting promoted to AIL next season

Yeah dunno about this coming season but I did hear about McMickan going to them last year along with one of the lappin brothers out of clongowes. Think ur right next couple of seasons they might actually do something who knows. I think Bective on the other hand be another season or two before they reach ail heights again if they do. And even if they do it will be questionable if they can sustain it. I remember years around the 2010/2011 season and abit into the beginning of the season after they had solid enough side in 2a ail having recruited Henry Bryce on the wing a kiwi 9 and a good few former UCC players in that side too push for promo into 1b end of 10/11 season only to loose to bluff in play off and then it just went downhill from there and players left and followed Kevin Lewis to Greystones while some went else where

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Yeah dunno about this coming season but I did hear about McMickan going to them last year along with one of the lappin brothers out of clongowes. Think ur right next couple of seasons they might actually do something who knows. I think Bective on the other hand be another season or two before they reach ail heights again if they do. And even if they do it will be questionable if they can sustain it. I remember years around the 2010/2011 season and abit into the beginning of the season after they had solid enough side in 2a ail having recruited Henry Bryce on the wing a kiwi 9 and a good few former UCC players in that side too push for promo into 1b end of 10/11 season only to loose to bluff in play off and then it just went downhill from there and players left and followed Kevin Lewis to Greystones while some went else where

What level ail players are we talking about for monkstown? Unfamiliar with the names mentioned above

Lucas44 wrote: »
    What level ail players are we talking about for monkstown? Unfamiliar with the names mentioned above

Like of mcmickan was an ail 10 in 1a with Lansdowne season before last, lavery and riordan were with old Belvo before hand and likes of mcveigh were UCD and I think Cormac Brennan was with Glawegians I think when there were 1a/1b standard could be wrong tho. So yeah pretty much all above have some experience in 1a/1b ail from other clubs. Dunno the malahide players stainalert is on about above tbh but I’d have a guess they more than likely not ur average player coming into a junior set up if malahide had players like Danny poolman Mick McGrath etc at their ranks for the ail league Level they compete in which no offence to any other player in that league but there probably a class above them with the quality of players they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Lucas44 wrote: »

Cormac Brennan spent 3 years in the Connacht academy and looked very decent for Wegians when they were in 1b. McVeigh also spent 3 years in the Connacht academy and has been a regular for UCD for a few seasons now.

Bective are looking to recruit heavily to get back into AIL as I understand with Bernard Jackman at the helm. Tapping back into the St. Michaels connections he had when he was coaching there.

Pitching Leinster League 1A to ambitious players Is a tough one. Trying to get lads who want to play AIL or high level Metro at worst to go to like Dundalk or Gorey instead is a hard sell. Be better off getting more experienced club lads.

Is Craig Ronaldson the biggest name after moving so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

wouldnt be so sure on Monkstown as side to be promoted.
    Ashbourne and few others all bit ahead even if Monkstown have recruited heavily
    they'd have plenty Michael's connections already with huge numbers of their minis going on to Michael's. They wont get near the AIL until they start fielding teams at all age groups and developing a far better development systen
    they were fairly consistent for a long time in the AIL in the old division2 until around 14/15. Never really pushing for promotion or looking likely to be relegated but just drifted down the divisions after that
    Pitching Leinster League 1A to ambitious players Is a tough one. Trying to get lads who want to play AIL or high level Metro at worst to go to like Dundalk or Gorey instead is a hard sell. Be better off getting more experienced club lads.

Is Craig Ronaldson the biggest name after moving so far?
    it shouldnt be. Standard of top level junior rugby is very high and a bit of travelling really shouldnt impact any player who has desire to play decent rugby

• Advertisement

Cormac Brennan spent 3 years in the Connacht academy and looked very decent for Wegians when they were in 1b. McVeigh also spent 3 years in the Connacht academy and has been a regular for UCD for a few seasons now.

Cormac Brennan hasnt played rugby in 2 years since getting concussion in August 2018 in a pre season friendly v DUFC. Believe he has been playing GAA

Advertisement