Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

richiek67 wrote: »
    How much do you need. I have a good bit of Walnut and some cherry. Whats it for?
    FYI, strahan timber in newcastle do it, or abbey woods in Baldoyle or Morgans timber in Alexander quay

I do quite a bit of woodworking in my sapre time, my website, www.richardkillianwoodwork.com
    still needs a bit of work, working on it though...!

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Hi,
    can anyone tell me were i could source small ammounts of walnut and cherry?
    Cheers ;)

Hi Rich,
    Im looking to make jewelry boxes. So i am after solid 1"(approx) about 12" long. 5 lengths will then be laminated together to create a solid 12"x5" piece.
    I am interested in sourcing 1" PAO , i can cut the length to the approx size myself.
    Were are you located?
    Thanks

Hi Rich,
    nice job on your work at your website ;) wd. Must say i have a similar passion when it comes to working with timber. :)
    what was the approx price to get your website up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hi There,

Well to get the domain name and the hosting part of it was about 130euro. I bought a word-press theme for about $40. Quite powerful too for what I wanted.
    I could have gone through all the pa-lava of reading up on it, though I do know a bit about web site construction , I thought I'd just skip all the hassle and pay someone to do it. That was about 70euro, though in fairness it probably took him half an hour! Anyway, hope that helps.

What sort of woodwork are you into. Be nice to set up a yahoo group or something on one....:)
    I'll have to put some useful links I have for timer onto my site soon...

O, thanks for the comment by the way....;)

On the wood, sorry forgot to mention, you just want 12"??
    I have that, most o fthe widths of planks I have are 5-6inches....leme know,
    I',m in Celbridge, where you?

Hi There,

Well to get the domain name and the hosting part of it was about 130euro. I bought a word-press theme for about $40. Quite powerful too for what I wanted.
    I could have gone through all the pa-lava of reading up on it, though I do know a bit about web site construction , I thought I'd just skip all the hassle and pay someone to do it. That was about 70euro, though in fairness it probably took him half an hour! Anyway, hope that helps.

What sort of woodwork are you into. Be nice to set up a yahoo group or something on one....:)
    I'll have to put some useful links I have for timer onto my site soon...

Cheers for listing the cost of your website ;-)
    I like sheraton furniture, cabinet making. Simple furniture, clean lines.
    Was away from cabinet making for years now but still love it. I get the odd book now and then.
    Gonna get back into it gently. Starting off on a few small ideas i have.
    Would like to keep my sources local and try stay away from imported hardwoods.

5-6" width is spot on ;-)
    What lengths are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi all, I hope you can give me some guidance.
    I'm looking to get some shelves made up of my own design.
    I'm looking for a dark wood, something along the lines of walnut or a dark oak. The longest section is ~2.3m long and 0.5m wide and 4 to 5 cm deep.

We had a carpenter in to look, but he wasn't able to source anything other than pine which he would stain, but I'm opposed to pine as it's too soft and will show it's wear given that the shelves will be used for toys.

Where would I get a dark wood of suitable proportions in Dublin? I was thinking of reclaimed floor-boards, but the won't be thick enough. Any advise on what I should look for?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a dark wood, something along the lines of walnut or a dark oak. The longest section is ~2.3m long and 0.5m wide and 4 to 5 cm deep.

We had a carpenter in to look, but he wasn't able to source anything other than pine which he would stain, but I'm opposed to pine as it's too soft and will show it's wear given that the shelves will be used for toys.

Where would I get a dark wood of suitable proportions in Dublin? I was thinking of reclaimed floor-boards, but the won't be thick enough. Any advise on what I should look for?

I got in touch with KDHW and here are some price.
    I can generally supply Ash, Beech,Sycamore,Walnut,Cherry,Birch, Spanish Chestnut and Yew. All KD....small amount of Oak still air drying at the moment. ( Some Elm also currently air drying. Nominally sawn at 30 mm and 56 mm prior to kiln drying. Prices start at €36 per cuft for normal hardwoods with walnut / yew rising to € 55 /€65 depending on board quality and range of widths etc.

You could also try Abbeywoods in Baldoyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi IrlMonk, Thanks for the guidance! I really appreciate that.
    56mm sounds like a good measure for what I want.

Where or who is KDHW as a Google search throws up nowt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Kdhw are Kiln dried hardwoods www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie
    Based near southern cross near greystones. Very very nice guys with really great timber. Very good prices and will do utmost to help and get what's needed or wanted. Will recommend stuff if you want either.
    I found it a bit weird ringing the mobile and found it a bit awkward that it was arranging a specific time to go down when it was literally just to see what he had. Put me off for weeks but so glad I went down. Very accommodating to the smallest of buyers. I think I gave him 15 quid for half a square meter of ash I think, can't remember really. But that's how small I was buying and it was no bother to him.

Edit: btw hit contact and ring Neil on his mobile. The other guy mainly deals with logs for burning.

alexlyons wrote: »
    Kdhw are Kiln dried hardwoods www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie
    Based near southern cross near greystones. Very very nice guys with really great timber. Very good prices and will do utmost to help and get what's needed or wanted. Will recommend stuff if you want either.
    I found it a bit weird ringing the mobile and found it a bit awkward that it was arranging a specific time to go down when it was literally just to see what he had. Put me off for weeks but so glad I went down. Very accommodating to the smallest of buyers. I think I gave him 15 quid for half a square meter of ash I think, can't remember really. But that's how small I was buying and it was no bother to him.

Edit: btw hit contact and ring Neil on his mobile. The other guy mainly deals with logs for burning.

Yea that sounds very decent and they seem on the ball and genuine.
    I emailed KDHW and he was one in a million for responding and gave me prices etc,.
    That's what its all about. Decent, genuine sellers that are a pleasure to deal with.
    I must pop out..... :)
    what way (size) was the planks of ash when you got 'em?
    and where they PAO and squared when you got 'em? ;)

Spot on ;) shows character...like it!
    how are you gonna make up the carcase?
    are you gonna use fillers etc ?
    have you thought about sanding fine curves into the shelves to make it unique.
    Think bout a good oil finish! Nice curves and a professional finish is what makes a piece unique.
    Walnut is a beautiful timber and sapwood in the grain is a bonus.
    Depends on your room overall, what wood would compliment the room!
    Walnut, Ash, Cherry, Oak.

Hi Ritchie,
    sorry i was a bit busy this week and busier next with the bro's wedding. Anyway i would love to pop out and have a gander of the timber. I will be only purchasing small amounts, say €30-€50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Yea that sounds very decent and they seem on the ball and genuine.
    I emailed KDHW and he was one in a million for responding and gave me prices etc,.
    That's what its all about. Decent, genuine sellers that are a pleasure to deal with.
    I must pop out..... :)
    what way (size) was the planks of ash when you got 'em?
    and where they PAO and squared when you got 'em? ;)

exact same got the ball rolling with me, replied to an email with a price, which nobody would do "until the saw or spoke" to me, which as I said seemed like wasting time because it was so small. Emails might take a bit longer to type than talk, but they can do it in there own time, so I always start with one. Great that he replies.

They're not PAO, and the minimum is about 1". He said he can thickness it if required but it seemed like it was a bit to much effort for him for and rarely done.
    He literally cuts treas up, have a look at the site and you'll see what I mean. That's exactly as you get them. They cut them, dry them and sell them, hence its good value.
    Also, when I got the first piece he didn't have the right change so I left it with him rather than him charging less and went back down a month later and he did a great deal on a piece of Yew (I remember its definitely yew!) because of that. It's all about being nice :)

This is what I made with it, the more I think about it, the more I've completely forgotten what it is.
    199647.JPG

Hi There,

I got some Veneer from a guy who used to work and do the veneer aspect of things in Abbey woods in baldoyle. Its up the road in the same estate. I went there to get Maple veneer, great deal too, check out my lamp I did from it on my website www.richardkillianwoodwork.com

Cheers

Rich;)
    stapeler wrote: »
    Hello
    I'm working on a project at present and I'm looking for sheets of Oak veneer which can be glued onto timber. Does anybody have any suppliers of this product.

Thanks

Hi There, sorry for not getting back to you. I diden't actually get any mail notification of your reply for some reason. Anyway, how much walnut did you want?
    If you send me an email directly would be great, richiek67@vodafone.ie

Cheers

Rich

Hi Ritchie,
    sorry i was a bit busy this week and busier next with the bro's wedding. Anyway i would love to pop out and have a gander of the timber. I will be only purchasing small amounts, say €30-€50

Hi There, I did something similar in my own home. I used 3 long walnut planks, each about 3M in length, 6 inches deep and 1 inch think. I staggered them and what I used to support them I painted the same colour as the wall. I can forward a picture if you like?
    Looks good I have to say and contrasts the maple floor I have in the kids room. Shelves are strong too being solid walnut!! They packed with books and toys now. Great to get the stuff off the floor...!:rolleyes:
    Rich, www.richardkillianfurniture.com

Have a look at some things I made.

By the way, try mount tallent avenue in Rathgar area for wood supplies, woodworkers supplies they are called.
    Strahan timber in newcastle off the N7 also do walnut and a planing service too....

Hi IrlMonk, Thanks for the guidance! I really appreciate that.
    56mm sounds like a good measure for what I want.

Where or who is KDHW as a Google search throws up nowt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Would anyone know where i Could get a sheet of Mexican Pine wood? I have a bar the same as in this pic and Im looking to make a bar back for it to place glasses and bottles on. Ill put small ledges on it and attach it to the wall.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mexican-pine-home-bar-bangor-400/99156686

!!!!

Hi all,
    I purchased 1 5ft x 5" x 1" walnut, cherry and oak and payed €43 for the 3 lengths. I thought this was extremely expensive. What do you guys think?
    I was waiting almost 3 weeks for it as well.
    I thought i was gonna get more wood for the money. The bloke told me that Cherry is very expensive. I was disappointed to say the least when i went out to pick it up.

Hi There Irlmonk,

Well if the wood you got was rough and not sanded or planed then it was a little on the expensive side. Where did you get it if you dont mind me asking? Cherry is very expensive but a 5ft plank should only be in the region of 10-15 euro if even that. Walnut a little less 10 say. Oak is expensive enough but I can get 5-6 lengths of oak at 9ftx6x1 for 120euro.
    If the stuff you got was ready to use then the price wasn't too bad.

Rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Yup, wee bit pricey. What is the timber for? Can't think of many applications that combine walnut, oak and cherry. Was it european oak, walnut and cherry or american?

Got the timber in Coolock it was PAO. It was imported from Europe. I am gonna mix the timber by laminating into 12" blanks for turning and other small projects.
    Thanks for the input folks ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭taramurf

Hi
    I am looking for a small off-cut of ebonised mahogany for a sculpture base. Needs to be at least 50 x 20 x 20 cm. I'm based in Dublin but willing to travel. Anyone here have any ideas please?
    Thanks
    Tara

Had a look at woodworkers.ie but no hardwood blanks or lumber listed - may still be worth a call. Brooks are open on the Naas Rd again. Morgans are there - think the website still lists them near the docks but they are out on the Naas Rd past the M50. Quinn Hardwoods have just opened a place in one of the warehouses beside Clondalkin Hardware (its near Dunnes there). May take more effort looking, but it will work out cheaper if you do the legwork.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I might have a bit of mahogany if you want to do the ebonizing yourself. http://www.egcc.biz/workshop/e/ebonising.htm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

I have the leg of an old snooker table - full solid mahogany.
    might suit you either.

will measure later today.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭taramurf

Thanks everyone- I'll check out those suppliers and if I'm still stuck I can come back to you about the mahogany snooker leg and/or Fergal B's off cut.
    Much appreciated!
    T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Prune67

Anyone looking for Craft wood should try "DH Timber Ltd" in Coolock.
    Email dhtimber@eircom.net Ph 01 8483073
    I have been looking for small amounts of hardwoods and soft woods for ages and only found this place yesterday. Nice people and they will supply large or small amounts.
    Hope this Helps

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sbkenn

Hi, I am looking for a quntity of thin birch planks.
    60 off, 1.8m x 300 x 6mm or thereabouts, to hot mold window surrounds
    on a boat. Corner radius to be 100mm. I anticipate steaming 2 layers for laminating.

Advice appreciated.
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cubic

Hi there, does anyone know of someone interested in buying trees beech ash etc rather than them being used fr firewood etc

For the trees you could give these guys a go -
    http://www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie/contact.htm
    Remember though there are issues with "domestic" or roadside trees - as these in particular may have old nails etc embedded in them which can easily and quickly scupper a saw blade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 typer05

Hi, does anyone know where I can get hardwood timber in Co.Mayo, boards not logs. Something like ash, oak etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Looking for an Oak log that i can carve on. Any suggestions as to where i could get one nice piece would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

what size of log do you want? may be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

Hey, anyone know where I could get waney edge board in the greater Dublin area? I want to make some chopping boards as gifts, something like the link below.

http://www.garrendennylane.com/Products/Rooms_Kitchen_Chopping-Boards/Bunbury-Boards-Waney-Chopping-Board-Small#

Money for old rope....Wish I knew someone in marketing and in the ccoi...!! lol

TheGrump wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know where I could get waney edge board in the greater Dublin area? I want to make some chopping boards as gifts, something like the link below.

http://www.garrendennylane.com/Products/Rooms_Kitchen_Chopping-Boards/Bunbury-Boards-Waney-Chopping-Board-Small#

Thetimberyard have some waney pippy/character oak in 27/28mm boards. Just down the units on the left beside Clondalkin Hardware. Would look the part all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭itsme1284

Hi I'm looking for someone that supplies finnished timber, I'm looking for about 4 cubic ft of 1 inch ash, any one know we're I would source this and how much I costs for finnished timber. I'm in the limerick area, tried mcmahons in limerick they only supply rough timber at 29 euro a cubic ft.

itsme1284 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for someone that supplies finnished timber, I'm looking for about 4 cubic ft of 1 inch ash, any one know we're I would source this and how much I costs for finnished timber. I'm in the limerick area, tried mcmahons in limerick they only supply rough timber at 29 euro a cubic ft.

Hi There, well I know in Dublin/newcastle theres a place I go to to get timber. They plane it too. Strahan Timber is the name http://www.strahan.ie/
    there is the link for them. They are good. Its just off the NAAS road, N7 actually. Not sure if this will help you or if its too far away...

Cheers

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭itsme1284

Hi rich
    Do you know how much the charge for planing timber

itsme1284 wrote: »
    Hi rich
    Do you know how much the charge for planing timber

Hi,

I think its about 20euro per plank , its a bit expensive, that doesn't include the sides, just the 2 flat surfaces. Though it saves a hell of a lot of messing!!
    I recently got Ash and Maple from them. The plane they have is fairly new I gather , it does a good job. Actually they supply schools around the country with timber so perhaps they do deliveries to your neck of the woods. They may throw on a few pieces for you. Give them a buzz. Actually I can give you the name of the guy I talk with. He's Liam beattie, email is sales@strahan.ie.
    Hope this helps you...

Rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

jelly man wrote: »
    could anybody tell me what bass wood is im 8 years at the carpentrey game and veyer heard of it .its ment to b great 4 carving ,so if any one knows about let me know thanks
    In my experience basswood is used mainly in the manufacture of guitars and other instruments Fender use it a lot as an alternative to more expensive woods, it's meant to be great to sand keeps its shape doesn't split takes water based paints well and readily available in Japan etc but I have not seen it for sale here, I am a beginner to woodwork though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Big Davey wrote: »
    In my experience basswood is used mainly in the manufacture of guitars and other instruments Fender use it a lot as an alternative to more expensive woods, it's meant to be great to sand keeps its shape doesn't split takes water based paints well and readily available in Japan etc but I have not seen it for sale here, I am a beginner to woodwork though.

I think lime is very similar to basswood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Hi,
    I'm looking for seasoned Cedar 6" x 1" boards, minimum 4ft long, of Irish origin. About 40ft in all.
    For beehive project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think lime is very similar to basswood
    They're one and the same thing really, all members of the genus Tilia ... lime tree, linden, basswood, just slightly different species, but all with the same characteristics. It tends to get called basswood in the US and lime wood over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Varicosity

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get back into making some wooden boxes and a few other small scale projects. Unfortunately I have no surface planer or thickness planer for squaring stock. I'm doing this as a hobby so I'd prefer not to spend hours planing and thicknessing by hand.

With this in mind, does anyone know where I could get some 1/2" PAO Ash, Walnut, and Oak? I'm looking for boards a minimum of 5" wide and about 3/4 feet long. I'm happy to buy some offcuts off a boardsie rather than a timber supplier if that's easier.

I'm located in Dublin but I'm happy to drive to the surrounding counties to pick it up.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Varicosity wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to get back into making some wooden boxes and a few other small scale projects. Unfortunately I have no surface planer or thickness planer for squaring stock. I'm doing this as a hobby so I'd prefer not to spend hours planing and thicknessing by hand.

With this in mind, does anyone know where I could get some 1/2" PAO Ash, Walnut, and Oak? I'm looking for boards a minimum of 5" wide and about 3/4 feet long. I'm happy to buy some offcuts off a boardsie rather than a timber supplier if that's easier.

I'm located in Dublin but I'm happy to drive to the surrounding counties to pick it up.

Thanks!

Hi There, I can have a look in my shed. I mostly have 1 inch . I know for boxes etc this would probably be too thick. How much do you need? ( ash,oak, walnut )

Rich

Advertisement