Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home office + Training room

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm guessing their big money JB??? Seen the crossfit style ones last night, curved manual ones, like the idea of no electrics in it so not having to worry about them in the moisture, price is 4000 euro though!

@Macy, not sure the theory about how it works, but was recommended by a plumber friend. I'm constantly surprised by the amount of water actually in it when I empty it, once a week and be decent enough amount. Until I get a wifi/remote plug I just turn it on when I get off the bike, windows would normally be a little steamed, leave it for about 20mins and then come back and they are completely clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Joey keep an eye 2nd hand, new about 4-5k but I picked mine up for 1.3k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I tried a curved treadmill in a gym and I wouldn't use it again. I found it very hard on my calves.

I have a dehumidifier in the kitchen, a small electrical one I got in homestore and more for about €30. You need the room to be warm for them to work as they draw out the water by cooling the surrounding air.

It made a huge difference. We were always cleaning the kitchen floor every day or so. Now once a week would easily do.

I'd love to have a set up like this at some stage.
    An electric storage heater might be a good heat source. But you would need the night rate I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I bought one of those low energy panel heaters but it was poor. A fart would heat the room quicker
    I got a family heirloom oil heater that's about 30 years old and it's great. For morning sessions I have it on a timer to come on an hour before I start, just to take the chill off the room.
    Not sure about energy use but I wouldn't be out there if it was too cold.
    I work at home 2 days a week so it's great for that too.
    I'm only in a 4m x 3m room so when it heats up it holds the heat well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I bought one of those low energy panel heaters but it was poor. A fart would heat the room quicker
    I got a family heirloom oil heater that's about 30 years old and it's great. For morning sessions I have it on a timer to come on an hour before I start, just to take the chill off the room.
    Not sure about energy use but I wouldn't be out there if it was too cold.
    I work at home 2 days a week so it's great for that too.
    I'm only in a 4m x 3m room so when it heats up it holds the heat well

I’d be wary of using a timer switch with a plug in heater like that. We fried an electrical circuit before. Was told by the sparks they are not meant to work that way and can cause an electrical fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

Joey100:

Ex-Gym equipment auction in Enniskillen this Friday - I was at one before xmas and Treadmills were going for between 500-800 euros. (6k retail). A guy in our club bought one and is delighted with it.

https://www.facebook.com/enniskillenauctions/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARD9FWkkm8GeMBaCSsMNOPK-cn-GT2U0brndW8uqtDJxXCTHLrDUblT3U7yiDyqLFBW_osiGVXYExLsw

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Found this thread very interesting

As an aside, just installed this for the kids bikes

Motorbike grade chain inside, drilled outside and wrapped around railing and back in

4.5 ft deep. 5 bikes

5ft high at highest

Ballyfree garden sheds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I’d be wary of using a timer switch with a plug in heater like that. We fried an electrical circuit before. Was told by the sparks they are not meant to work that way and can cause an electrical fire

good point, just make sure the max power draw on the heater is less than than the rated power on the smart switch. those smart switches have an internal relay to control on/off the relays are usually small and can't handle high current levels

I had a proper electrician put the wiring in so as to be sure. It all runs off it's own breaker box so if anything goes amiss in the cabin it shuts down everything without endangering the house. He put in a couple of sockets that are for anything that would on be permanently, including timers, which I'm told are more secure. I don't get the terminology but trust the guy who did the work having known him a long time.
    I also needed to provide assurances with work that it was safely and correctly wired as I have company stuff in there for when I am working.
    Worst case scenario and everything fails, the cabin burns down. A couple of near death car crashes in the past has given me a bit more of a view on the importance of 'stuff' in the grander scheme.
    That said, I'd recommend a professional look after any electrical or plumbing work. I don't put much love into my stuff but I still love to have it all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

yup, no argument there, i was referring to the smart switches you plug into the sockets, the ones that can be controlled from apps on your phones, like these ones
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Required-Control-Devices-Anywhere/dp/B07CKVZFGX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548153962&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tp+link+smart+plug&psc=1

while ithey would make switching heaters on/off in your garage very easy, a lot of times they are not rated for the power draw of things like heaters.

fully agree if you don;t know what you are doing you should get a qualified sparky in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 fully floating

Kurt.Godel wrote: »

Kurt would like to know how the pool is holding up. Have you found it good,Expensive to run, anything you might change or add was considering taking the plunge on one, but don’t really now much about them if you wouldn’t mind sharing some info on it thanks, also how does it feel compared to swimming in the pool for instance,
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Kurt would like to know how the pool is holding up. Have you found it good,Expensive to run, anything you might change or add was considering taking the plunge on one, but don’t really now much about them if you wouldn’t mind sharing some info on it thanks, also how does it feel compared to swimming in the pool for instance,
    Thanks

Its still going strong, gets a fair bit of use (perhaps not as much from the family as I'd had envisioned though). Minimal maintenance required so far. I haven't noticed huge electric bills, it holds the heat extremely well, and controlling the chlorine levels has had direct health benefits.

I over-engineered the shed when I built it, but if you're considering a build you can't really overspec the insulation and heat-exchanging extractor fan. Condensation is well-managed (although I shudder to think what state any plasterboard I'd originally considered might be in now). Only thing I'd change is I might consider block build (but this would have added to the time and cost, and my timber build has had no problems).

Swimming is more turbulent than a pool but you get used to that. Legs sink more than a pool which means you need to kick more. I wear buoyancy shorts which also help.

Overall I'm happy to have built it and if you live far from a public pool and can afford the spend would highly recommend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Latest addition

470720.jpg

How do you like this treadmill now after a year?
    My old Proform has served me well for past 5 years but its time for a upgrade.
    I'm unusual to most runners as in I actually don't mind running on a treadmill and use it pretty regularly.

Casey78 wrote: »
    How do you like this treadmill now after a year?
    My old Proform has served me well for past 5 years but its time for a upgrade.
    I'm unusual to most runners as in I actually don't mind running on a treadmill and use it pretty regularly.

Good timing, I'm only off it about 20 minutes.
    I can't fault it.
    I've used it for everything from speed workouts to 3 hour long runs. Zwift and timing long runs for hooky football matches helps with the boredom.
    I've never used the onboard workouts or the video workouts. NordicTrack are into you signing up for their platform and I couldn't be bothered.
    I fiddle with the incline a bit but mostly forget.
    I'd buy it again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Good timing, I'm only off it about 20 minutes.
    I can't fault it.
    I've used it for everything from speed workouts to 3 hour long runs. Zwift and timing long runs for hooky football matches helps with the boredom.
    I've never used the onboard workouts or the video workouts. NordicTrack are into you signing up for their platform and I couldn't be bothered.
    I fiddle with the incline a bit but mostly forget.
    I'd buy it again

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I use Zwift Run all the time also!. Loving the new 400m track in the last update!
    I was looking at the Nordictrack 1750 as well as a few other Nordictracks.
    Any squeaks or anything from the treadmill? My Proform squeaks like mad, so looking for something a bit more sturdy as well as a bigger motor, the Proform I have is only a 2.25hp motor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

EC1000 wrote: »
    Look at insulated prefab steel sheds also. I'd recommend a drive to Shanette Sheds in Kilbeggan, I got one last year as a home gym type space but would work as an office too and different price point to log cabins. Worth looking around their place for ideas if nothing else.

shanette very good.
    Even basic finish is way better than others I have seen.
    6m x3m steel panel pain cave fully insulated for €4,800.
    Double glazed window and door all gutters included,had to have a slab to put it on and screeded in a floor afterwards.
    All up super set up for 5k.
    Highly recommended.
    Damien is the guy I was dealing with.
    Hope this helps

Casey78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I use Zwift Run all the time also!. Loving the new 400m track in the last update!
    I was looking at the Nordictrack 1750 as well as a few other Nordictracks.
    Any squeaks or anything from the treadmill? My Proform squeaks like mad, so looking for something a bit more sturdy as well as a bigger motor, the Proform I have is only a 2.25hp motor

No squeaks so far. I've only 500km on it last year though. I'm much happier outdoors.
    One thing I couldn't live without is the folding belt. You get used to it sat in the corner but at least I can get in and out the door without having to climb over it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I had a proper electrician put the wiring in so as to be sure. It all runs off it's own breaker box so if anything goes amiss in the cabin it shuts down everything without endangering the house. He put in a couple of sockets that are for anything that would on be permanently, including timers, which I'm told are more secure. I don't get the terminology but trust the guy who did the work having known him a long time.
    I also needed to provide assurances with work that it was safely and correctly wired as I have company stuff in there for when I am working.
    Worst case scenario and everything fails, the cabin burns down. A couple of near death car crashes in the past has given me a bit more of a view on the importance of 'stuff' in the grander scheme.
    That said, I'd recommend a professional look after any electrical or plumbing work. I don't put much love into my stuff but I still love to have it all the same.

Got a guy to do same and very happy exactly as described above

Advertisement