Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home office + Training room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

So I'm back to a timber log cabin. Concrete built may be better built but it's way over my budget.
    I've settled on the full insulation package with upgraded doors and windows.
    The only thing I'm missing is getting it wired but I know enough sparks to have it done professionally for a slab of cider plus materials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I'm taking the self-build route. The plan is to have an indoor endless pool, weights, and a turbo. The pool is a wooden framed kit, which has been waiting to be assembled since November (much to my daughters annoyance!).

We had a slab poured, and I'm since two weeks into the project. Its going much quicker than anticipated- mostly thanks to purchasing a framing gun. There's also been a helluva lot of forward planning with mm precision realisation, and a certain amount of focus (I've put a lot on hold over the past couple of weeks to work on this). It'll be finished clad with cedar wood, rubber roof, airtight doors and windows. Fully insulated, HRV system, solar gain... it has to be inviting on a cold November morning.

Base framework down over slab.
    2yk13s3.png

The pool build was tricky, as I needed to access all sides while building- hence the framework/vapour barrier going up gradually as the pool was assembled.
    121eght.png

MgO board inside and out instead of drywall- better for a humid environment.
    2ms53ee.png

When you say 'inviting on a cold November morning', should we ring ahead or will you leave a key out? 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    121eght.png

Quite an upgrade on a stake hammered into the ground next to a kiddies' paddling pool. All the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any progress pictures since Kurt?

• Advertisement

Real work has taken over... progressing along but another couple of weeks yet.

I ordered my little cabin. Should have it in about 8 weeks

Following with interest.. planning on moving in the next 6 months, top of my criteria is room for a garden office/training room :)

My job is in mid move to a new building so I've harvested a good bit of stuff that was being thrown out. Brand new carpet tiles, desk, drawers, wardrobe/shelving and industrial power blocks and cable tidy stuff. The office end of things is sorted.

I'm toying with a few ideas for not-too-ugly bike storage and security but next on the list is wood treatment and whatever colour paint Mrs Villa approves of. She says seagrass, looks blue to me

My job is in mid move to a new building so I've harvested a good bit of stuff that was being thrown out. Brand new carpet tiles, desk, drawers, wardrobe/shelving and industrial power blocks and cable tidy stuff. The office end of things is sorted.

I'm toying with a few ideas for not-too-ugly bike storage and security but next on the list is wood treatment and whatever colour paint Mrs Villa approves of. She says seagrass, looks blue to me

One thing to plan for is power... my lad laid armoured cable to the concrete slab, only problem it was 1.5mm armoured cable:rolleyes: which you'd just about run some lights off. I had to do some digging afterwards and re-laid 16mm SWA cable (had an electrician spec it after loading pool heaters, pumps, etc). Doubt you'd need 16mm but no harm futureproofing for treadmills, heaters, etc.

• Advertisement

Power is going in as the garden is being paved and the base going down for the cabin but I didn't think of capacity.
    Thanks for the tip.
    As it's going under the garden it'll be a pain to find the most watts in there is coming from me. And that ain't much to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

My brother is an electrician and brought the power out to the cabin for us. We ran a waste water pipe from the gutters down to the main drain in the back garden and he ran a smaller pipe up alongside this with cable tapped from an outside plug. Nothing has tripped yet, is an offshoot of the kitchen circuit, but we have 2 circuits in the kitchen. He just advised not to have the washing machine, dish washer and all the computers and fans going in the cabin at once. No issues so far anyway. He seemed to think we would have no problem in the future adding a treadmill.

Got the call today that my cabin is being delivered next week so I have to schedule the build.
    But, with the poxy weather, the garden isn't done so nowhere to put the cabin when it does arrive. Seems like they are happy enough to wait until I can give them a date to come and build it.

But, this gives me a chance to get the paint and wood preserver bought. Woodies are doing the Cuprinol 3 for 2 deal so I'll be hitting them up tomorrow.

Joey - Quick question, if you're about. Windows, doors and frames are wood right? Treat with the wood preserver and then white exterior wood undercoat with a top coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Real work has taken over... progressing along but another couple of weeks yet.

Any progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

@sticky Ricky, yep windows and doors all have wood surrounds. We used a treatment first p, painted the whole cabin inside and out with it. For the exterior we used culprol too. Its water based and doesn't need a base coat as far as I know. Took about 2/3 coats to really cover it but that adds some protection too. Its a long job but not that hard, just have to wait in between coats drying.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Any progress?

Roof done, windows and door done, interior walls done, floor tiled, 90% electrics done, almost ready for water to go in... I was painting the ceiling earlier and fell from a ladder, the sort of stupid fall where your life flashes stupidly and you expect broken bones at best; thankfully I landed hard on my well-padded ar$echeek which hurts like a cold knife. Progress has halted for at least a week while I pester wifey for as many arsecheek massages I can get recuperate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

When are you doing tours and swim demos :)

Looks like I need to find a new training home as I have been relocated from the pain cave. Starting to do some online searches but ideas on a 6x6mtr log cabin much appreciated. Thought I found a bargain today when I seen a price for €3.5k until they told me that the price is without doors and windows!

We have a 7x5 mtr steeltech garage but condensation is really bad and I would imagine cost to try upgrade and insulate would be a job in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Ah Liam you know the NASA look is all in these days!

• Advertisement

So, cleared out the old shed over the weekend. A happy day of mindless violence and rampant destruction. I got to the floor and after realising it wasn't as rotten as I thought, I pulled it out so I could get at it with the chop saw and found these freeloaders. Couldn't get the squatters re-homed until Sunday evening but hopefully I should see some progress this week. The cabin is ready to go in, just need to sync up with the builder to put the base and electrics in

Cabin is going up as we speak. A bit of a delay with the builder but we're finally motoring. I'll hopefully have a pic of the untreated model later

Thar she blows

Looks great, lots of light coming in, plenty of room for treddie/turbo/weights (and you might even sneak in a desk ;)). Best of luck with it!

New pain cave , l will lay concrete before the weekend and then I can get the proper construction work started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

your right neighours musnt like you judging by the fence lol

peter kern wrote: »
    your right neighours musnt like you judging by the fence lol

The only neighbours I have are Cows. That fence and the wooden play house is where the kids get sent when they are bold:)

Roof done, windows and door done, interior walls done, floor tiled, 90% electrics done, almost ready for water to go in... I was painting the ceiling earlier and fell from a ladder, the sort of stupid fall where your life flashes stupidly and you expect broken bones at best; thankfully I landed hard on my well-padded ar$echeek which hurts like a cold knife. Progress has halted for at least a week while I pester wifey for as many arsecheek massages I can get recuperate ;)

And not a single picture since.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

mloc123 wrote: »
    And not a single picture since.... :(

I have witnessed the final product. A thing of beauty. KG might have an alternate career as a Tri man-shed maker.

• Advertisement

Ha, cheers Mick, if the bottom falls out of the Markets I'll always have the frame gun and chop saw ;)

Cladding on, almost finished, just need some corner trim and then paint something on those white side panels.
    z0udyJW.png

Interior with pool
    FKAM781.png

Fastlane on low
    22eLAOe.png

Advertisement