Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home office + Training room

Options
  • 02-04-2017 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Depending on your point of view, my hand is being forced or everything is falling into place.

We're getting the garden done finally and I've insisted on secure storage for 2 (for now) bikes and space for the turbo. But, my job is moving so working from home might be a necessity for at least a couple of days a week.
    So what I need is office space for one. Literally a desk and chair. No shelves or cabinets.
    Then I need it to double as a turbo room with storage for bikes and wetsuits not in use.

We looked at 4m x 3m log cabins today and I think I could make the space work well

I've seen a few comments from other logs so would welcome any comments or recommendations.
    Loghouse.is was who we looked at today so even better if anyone has dealt with them before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Look at insulated prefab steel sheds also. I'd recommend a drive to Shanette Sheds in Kilbeggan, I got one last year as a home gym type space but would work as an office too and different price point to log cabins. Worth looking around their place for ideas if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Thanks. We'd looked at Adman steel sheds today too. They work perfectly for my needs with that added bit of security but not aesthetically in keeping with someone else's vision for the garden :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

We're doing something similar at the moment (6mx4.5m garden room), from research and architects the real test is how it will appeal to you on a wet Monday in January- you need to consider insulation and airtightness as priorities. I looked at the online log cabins and you could built them up to a higher spec, but in the end I decided to build my own, using plans from here. Cheaper and better quality if you're handy- but if nothing else its a good read.

By the way our garden is currently being landscaped by Alpine Paving in Arklow and I have to say Pat is doing an amazing job, I'd highly recommend them if you have scope for that work in your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I bought a cabin from logcabins last summer. They are ok to deal with. The lads who come and put it in are great, no messing around and do a good job cleaning up after themselves. The lad in the office in Kinsealy isn't great. Our 8 week max wait turned into nearly 14 weeks. He was pretty clueless too around a lot of the stuff but figured it out ourselves. Mine is 5x4m and is a good size.

They charge crazy money to paint the cabin in there too, something like 700 euro + paint. The paint is expensive enough too,a round 60 euro a tin (keep an eye on woodies during the bank holiday sales, we got it a fair bit cheaper then). You need to treat the wood, inside and out and then put a special paint on it too to help protect it. It's a pain to paint too and takes a good bit of time.

If your using it for training you will need to look at something to take the dampness out of the air, we use lots of slica packs (my dad gets them in work) and some of them collect the water and you can see a good bit collected.

We went for the upgraded windows, doors and insulated roof. Bit pricer but more secure and better at holding the heat. They do get cold during the winter but don't take long to heat up.

If your looking at logcabins in Kinsealy your probably based in Fingal so throw an eye on the planning regulations. They used to be (and still could be) up to 25m2 and less than 4m high you didn't need planning permission once it wasn't plumbed and it left 25m2 of garden space, the side entrance counts towards this. We had a neighbour lodge an objection to ours so had the council out measuring it so I'd have a fair idea of what will and will not be accepted. They recommend leaving around 50cm around the edge of the cabin too so you can get around it to paint it. You will need to re-treat the wood every few years too.

My advice would be to get the upgraded doors and windows, even just for security. Factor into the cost that you will need to paint it, get it wired for electricity (think they charge 25euro a point), blinds to keep nosey eyes out of it and a floor. The lad in there advised a wooden floor but talking to a few people they advised against wooden floor, the cabin is wood and with a wooden floor and different rates of swelling and contracting it would be near impossible to get it fitting well and no bumps. We went with a lino floor, put it down myself and it was grand.

I'm based North County Dublin so if you want to see what one looks like outside the showroom or have any questions about any of it just let me know.

Thanks all,

Kurt - I took a look at the self build option. I'm reasonably handy but time is not my friend. I've inherited my father's perfectionism so a simple job like building a book shelf sees days of measuring, spirit levels and generally staring at the parts before I click part A into part B. The finished job will have insulation as much as I can get. I'd hoped to have the concrete base down as the garden is getting done. Alpine will get a call from the wife this week to come and have a look. If you're familiar with some of the gardens in Arklow, ours is a swamp so we need it completely drained before a paving slab goes down. We've a couple of guys quoting at the moment so no harm in throwing Alpine into the mix to see what they can offer. Ultimately we need a toddler friendly space, the garden office was an afterthought to get bikes (and possibly me) out of the house

Joey - Thanks for all of that. I think I might have been lurking on your log and saw pictures of your cabin before? If it wasn't you, someone definitely has posted pics, looks very impressive. There's definitely some bits I hadn't considered including the treating and painting. I'd noticed €700 plus the price of the paint in their brochure. Sod that, I'll be doing that myself and maybe spend a little more on the paint. As I'll probably be working in it, I was thinking of carpet (we've a load of underlay in the attic) to make it as office like as possible. The turbo would be on a sweat mat like I'm already using. I had questions about the doors and windows too so would probably upgrade. I would have asked the sales guy in Wicklow but of course there was nobody there. Loads of interested people poking around but no salesman.

• Advertisement

No bother, yep that was probably mine alright, put a few up in the log, if you want anymore just let me know.

I see your looking at as much insulation as possible, have a look at the upgraded roof too then. The basic package comes with a standard felt roof, for the upgraded they build it as normal and then put a layer of insulation on top and then put a steel roof over the insulation. Lot better than the normal one. Again another cost but worth it.

Carpet would work but just make sure you keep an eye on any condensation inside. At the start we weren't opening the windows enough and noticed gear could be a little damp/cold to touch, once we got some silica stuff and started opening the windows though it's been grand. Might be that ours is pretty much only used for the turbo though and can get a little hot during it.

We used Cuprinol wood paint for it, the lads who put it up recommended this and before that treated the inside and outside with a clear coat. From memory everything you use on it should be water based not oil based. The painting takes a while, there's little grooves between the wood that makes it hard to use a roller on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I got a shed/pain cave from Ballyfree Garden Buildings in Rathnew last Autumn. I've very happy with the result, and was built to the space and spec I wanted (it's basically two rooms - pain cave and workshop).

I upgraded to PVC windows and patio doors, upgraded from the standard felt roof to onduline, and got the outside membrane fitted. I've insulated, vapour proofed and lined the pain cave walls myself, waiting on the sparks before I do the roof insulation (using an extension lead at the moment), so still a work in progress. Was on the turbo in it all winter without issue - generally started with a hoody and gradually lost layers! As it isn't sealed yet, haven't had any issues with condensation. I've a few books in it that haven't shown any signs of damp anyway.

Cost wise, it was ballpark than the equivalent steel shed/ garage from the likes of Adman, but with the doors and windows which would've been extra's with steel. The timber shed also didn't need the concrete base, which made it a good impact on costs. Internals/ electricity etc would be needed for both.

For flooring, I've used the workshop mats from Halfords - got them over the winter reduced, plus 15% axa discount, after seeing them on a home hym thread in "Fitness". So far working OK for me, and easily put down (and replaced) if needed.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The timber shed also didn't need the concrete base

What's under the shed? Did you put something else down instead?

They put 6/8 what look like patio slabs down and then build the timber frame onto these. These are set in cement, only seen through the window when I was seeing what the lads building it where up to!

EC1000 wrote: »
    What's under the shed? Did you put something else down instead?
    Concrete blocks on a hardcore base. Hardcore was already down (and well bedded in), but you'd need a hardcore base layer if going for a concrete base for a steel shed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

Great thread!

I'm in the process of building a double garage and completely overlooked the fact that not only can I use it for storage of all sorts of triathlon paraphernalia, but I should also be factoring in using the turbo out there. Back to the drawing board!!

Begs wrote: »
    I'm in the process of building a double garage and completely overlooked the fact that not only can I use it for storage of all sorts of triathlon paraphernalia, but I should also be factoring in using the turbo out there. Back to the drawing board!!
    Have to say it's been great for the turbo - the fact of having it all set up ready to go has made the decision to go for a session easier (and having trainerroad).

Ours is still in range of the wifi, and generally I've managed to get netflix via chromecast to work unless the rest of the family on it, which is great for the sessions that don't need as much focus (definitely no issues streaming music regardless for the hard sessions!).

I used a wife extender to bring wifi out to the shed. We had one in the house anyway so I plugged it in in the shed and it works great. It really is a great set up to have, if you can leave it set up the whole time it gives you one less excuse not to train.

joey100 wrote: »
    I used a wife extender

Did she mind?

I could do a ninja edit but I'll leave, nice catch EC1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

I saw Brad Wiggin's shed a few years ago in a documentary and it has been my dream to have one since! :) Space for the turbo trainer, treadmill and floor space for S&C with a cheap flat screen and you are away! Once I get a house I'll get right on it :cool:

@Joey100 could you post a link to those pictures of yours, I can't find them.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057056668/91

Its a bit down that page EL D. Since then I've added lino, blinds, WiFi, a lemond revolution turbo and a wahoo kicker. Bring the laptops out with us when we are using it. Will try and pick up a treadmill over the next while probably. Will make bricks a lot handier.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057056668/91

Its a bit down that page EL D. Since then I've added lino, blinds, WiFi, a lemond revolution turbo and a wahoo kicker. Bring the laptops out with us when we are using it. Will try and pick up a treadmill over the next while probably. Will make bricks a lot handier.

Sounds f'ing awesome. Hope today went well man.

That link just brings me to the last page of your log. What page number are the pics on?

Yeah its pretty sweet alright, a good day at the office today, beat mick so all good ;)

Pictures are on page 91.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Joey you're a disaster. My version of your log (presume El D too) only goes up to page 87.

A little digging and the shed pics are here , looks nice!

• Advertisement

Ah I'm on mobile, that could be why! Cheers Kurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Ah I'm on mobile, that could be why! Cheers Kurt!

Mind me asking... what kind of price range was it? Seomra seem to start at 20k ish which is a bit much for what I want to spend.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Mind me asking... what kind of price range was it? Seomra seem to start at 20k ish which is a bit much for what I want to spend.

Mloc, have a look at loghouse.ie
    Seomras are a serious bit of kit but the log cabin angle is a bit more do it yourself, albeit from reviews they're secure, solid and very comfortable if you do it right

Attached a couple of photos of mine. Not as aesthetically pleasing as Joey's, as it's definitely more "shed" than "garden room/ log cabin". That seems to be reflected in the relative prices being quoted above though!

I like, I like! Both seem to be the business. I wonder do many have such a set up, if so this thread could be a "stickied" :)

I went with the less glamorous steel construction - if you have the space you tend to get more bang for your book square footage wise, this one is 6m x 4m. Very pleased with the outcome - it's my happy place :)

I'm hoping to go see the loghouse people tomorrow. I'm almost set on that in 4m x 3m as I just need office space and enough space for bikes and turbo time.
    I want them to do the bulk of the work but will do the treating, painting and roof insulating myself.
    Our garden guy only wants to start work after the base for the cabin has gone down. He says he's put down a base before that hasn't met with the exact standards of the cabin people so we're better off having them come in and do their bit first.

The trip to the bank is the bit I'm dreading most

EC1000 wrote: »
    I went with the less glamorous steel construction - if you have the space you tend to get more bang for your book square footage wise, this one is 6m x 4m. Very pleased with the outcome - it's my happy place :)

Lovely set up EC. Is there a window? I'd need the window as I find daylight really good for my mood.

Lovely set up EC. Is there a window? I'd need the window as I find daylight really good for my mood.

There are four transparent sections in the ceiling for light but no windows in the walls. During daylight, unless the rain is falling in the wrong direction I tend the leave the double doors wide open. At night it makes no difference as the electric lights are needed. You can get windows and the option of a door with a window also but I put the budget into making the footprint as big as possible.

• Advertisement

So a potential change of plan,
    The latest gardener to look at our swamp can do what we want with the garden but will also build a concrete room for a slightly bigger price than the cabin.
    The pros are quite good -
    - comes fully finished
    - fully insulated
    - plastered
    - built at the same time the garden is done
    - big bad wolf proof
    As usual though, the final decision will come down to bang for our buck

Advertisement