Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muscle and Joint creams, gels and sprays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

blinding wrote: »
    Did anyone ever hear of putting cottage cheese on Joints and such .

I presume a poultus..............

Get a can of WD40. Apparently according to fellas in the building trade they swear by it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Get a can of WD40. Apparently according to fellas in the building trade they swear by it..

That myth has been busted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Transform wrote: »
    been using it for about 6 weeks now and helped lots for me, lower back issue, the drying was a pain in the arse though

review here - http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2015/08/flexiseq-relieves-pain-and-improves-mobility/

hi, that link has gone now. Any further thoughts a few years on this gel? its pricey so before I try wouldn't find any feedback
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Tiger Balm not mentioned but effective. Turns out it can be bought at the chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

aquinn wrote: »
    Tiger Balm not mentioned but effective. Turns out it can be bought at the chemist.

Thanks bit on the strong smelling side for daytime office use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 majella mallon

Due to an old injury I have recurring muscle spasm....I find coconut oil helps as it is full of great healing properties including good fatty acids, preferably heat the oil, massage in and rest, if you can cover with a support bandage all the better. I agree with everyone who made the point of not medicating or using chemical lotions if possible- long term anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi
    I have shoulder and neck pain after a car accident.
    Been to gp and physo.
    They suggested i have whip lash which given my age becomes much more painful when the weather is cold and damp.
    I don't like taking the prescription pain killers as it affects my ability to concentrate at work.
    Currently using heat pads and etoflam which was effective when the weather was warm , completely ineffective since the weather has got below 10derees.
    Any advice going back to Gp on Monday.
    Or has any used acupuncture?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

pmrc wrote: »
    Hi
    I have shoulder and neck pain after a car accident.
    Been to gp and physo.
    They suggested i have whip lash which given my age becomes much more painful when the weather is cold and damp.
    I don't like taking the prescription pain killers as it affects my ability to concentrate at work.
    Currently using heat pads and etoflam which was effective when the weather was warm , completely ineffective since the weather has got below 10derees.
    Any advice going back to Gp on Monday.
    Or has any used acupuncture?

What did the physio do for you?

I ask because my wife and I were in a car crash and she suffered for months with whip lash. Physio did nothing. Got a recommendation for a different physio who said if he couldn't resolve it in 4 sessions, it would need more than physiotherapy. After 3 sessions he said she was good to go and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

The physio just gave me some exercise to do twice a day, which i have been doing.
    He did say that the cold damp weather would make it worse.
    The accident happened in May so apart from the initial pain after a car accident i have been ok
    How ever
    shoulder and arm feel stiff and cold all the time since November/December.
    Its very tiring as i work full time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Have you tried flexiseq? It's a gel you apply

• Advertisement

pmrc wrote: »
    The physio just gave me some exercise to do twice a day, which i have been doing.
    He did say that the cold damp weather would make it worse.
    The accident happened in May so apart from the initial pain after a car accident i have been ok
    How ever
    shoulder and arm feel stiff and cold all the time since November/December.
    Its very tiring as i work full time.

If your arm and shoulder have felt stiff all the time since November/December, I'd be looking to go to physio because gels etc are addressing some discomfort but not dealing with the underlying problem.

If your arm and shoulder have felt stiff all the time since November/December, I'd be looking to go to physio because gels etc are addressing some discomfort but not dealing with the underlying problem.

And don’t do 2 cycles of smolov jr Bench either. Just sayin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    And don’t do 2 cycles of smolov jr Bench either. Just sayin.

Lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

There is this cream called penetrex. very effective. A bit expensive. Can get it from biovea or amazon US. Lots of reviews in amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

ewiz9 wrote: »
    There is this cream called penetrex. very effective. A bit expensive. Can get it from biovea or amazon US. Lots of reviews in amazon

I would have thought a cream called Penitrex served a very, very different purpose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Apparently none of these topical remedies can possibly enter through the skin into the muscle or joint and do anything there. So I would agree with the hokuspokus sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Voltarol Emulgel Extra Strength 2% I found good on my dodgey knee

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dave 101 wrote: »
    Voltarol Emulgel Extra Strength 2% I found good on my dodgey knee

The 4% spray is great too . Unfortunately it's prescription only but it definitely works for my achey tendon

Has anyone suggested snake oil yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Volteral is amazing (the 2%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I use Arnica massage balm

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Has anyone suggested snake oil yet?

Are you trying to say non of these work

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The 4% spray is great too . Unfortunately it's prescription only but it definitely works for my achey tendon

Didn’t know they did this, must get it off my doc next time I’m in

Didn’t know they did this, must get it off my doc next time I’m in

Its expensive at €15 for a small bottle but very effective too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you trying to say non of these work

I’m not sure they do. Your skin is wonderful at keeping things out, how would these thing penetrate it and get to the muscle?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m not sure they do. Your skin is wonderful at keeping things out, how would these thing penetrate it and get to the muscle?

While I'm not entirely convinced those creams are effective, I'm not sure it's correct to say it can't be because skin is wonderful at keeping things out.

Didnt BALCO develop 'the cream' to increase test without increasing the T/E ratio.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

While I'm not entirely convinced those creams are effective, I'm not sure it's correct to say it can't be because skin is wonderful at keeping things out.

Didnt BALCO develop 'the cream' to increase test without increasing the T/E ratio.

Yeah. I think I’m taking nonsense there. Testosterone, nicotine and opiates can all be delivered by patches.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Tell that to a patient whos pain oozes away with a Fentanyl patch and blessed relief is felt

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Tell that to a patient whos pain oozes away with a Fentanyl patch and blessed relief is felt

Fentanyl is strong as bejaysus. You could breathe the same air as someone with Fentanyl in their system and pain would dissolve

• Advertisement

Fentanyl is strong as bejaysus. You could breathe the same air as someone with Fentanyl in their system and pain would dissolve

Yep ! But it does enter via the skin so its not impossible to think voltrol could too

Advertisement