Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muscle and Joint creams, gels and sprays

Options
  • 23-09-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi all sorry if this is in the wrong forum but...

what is the best gel etc for muscle aches ?

I got some "etoflam" off a friend last night and it seemed to work quite well but lost effect after an hour or so ?

thanks in advance

dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

S'all hocus pocus. Take some paracetamol if you're in pain. Ideally stop doing whatever is causing you to be in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shivvy333

Hi there,
    Aloe heat lotion by Forever Living is super for this. As a forever living business owner this is the product we recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

shivvy333 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Aloe heat lotion by Forever Living is super for this. As a forever living business owner this is the product we recommend.

No agenda there then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

What is the cause of the muscle aches ? Long run or over did it in the gym ?

I quite like Voltarol and Biofreeze. Both are expensive but cheaper alternatives available.
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi all sorry if this is in the wrong forum but...

what is the best gel etc for muscle aches ?

I got some "etoflam" off a friend last night and it seemed to work quite well but lost effect after an hour or so ?

thanks in advance

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

COH wrote: »
    No agenda there then :rolleyes:
    hot water bottle would be more effective

• Advertisement

grahamor wrote: »
    What is the cause of the muscle aches ? Long run or over did it in the gym ?

I quite like Voltarol and Biofreeze. Both are expensive but cheaper alternatives available.
    this i recommend but shouldnt need to be used all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

As said before they are all hocus pocus, maybe they work in fooling the users mind that are of benefit.
    BBC did an investigation on them, both the heating and cooling ones and all they did was heat/cool the users skin with no effect on muscle temperature or recovery.

https://youtu.be/BxM1X7jCh-A?t=20m13s

ongarite wrote: »
    As said before they are all hocus pocus, maybe they work in fooling the users mind that are of benefit.
    BBC did an investigation on them, both the heating and cooling ones and all they did was heat/cool the users skin with no effect on muscle temperature or recovery.

https://youtu.be/BxM1X7jCh-A?t=20m13s

Voltarol neither heats nor cools and is an anti inflammatory. There are some good Irish versions of this product too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Voltarol neither heats nor cools and is an anti inflammatory. There are some good Irish versions of this product too.

Yep I find voltarol good for temporary strains etc. too. Well, I actually use Diclac which is the generic version and cheaper about €7 a tube I think. Handy to have in the cupboard as a standby.

exactly and i use the diclac as much cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

thanks guys going to look into voltarol or diclac , cause was running on hard ground for too long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

a vet product called uddermint, seems to be the choice of professional and simi pro's, add arthritis sufferers, greyhound owners swear by it for muscle and sprain problems

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

What about Flexiseq or it's more expensive, and advertised to death brother, Flexiseq sport.
    Anyone use it ? - I've heard from someone that it does make a real difference for managing knee pain/stiffness from injuries that have caused cartiledge to be worn away.

It's unbelievably expensive though.

running on hard ground for too long :)

Shin splints perhaps ???

It's probably your shoes and tight calves that are causing this. Cream might relieve temporarily but try and find the root of the problem.

What about Flexiseq or it's more expensive, and advertised to death brother, Flexiseq sport.
    Anyone use it ? - I've heard from someone that it does make a real difference for managing knee pain/stiffness from injuries that have caused cartiledge to be worn away.

It's unbelievably expensive though.
    been using it for about 6 weeks now and helped lots for me, lower back issue, the drying was a pain in the arse though

review here - http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2015/08/flexiseq-relieves-pain-and-improves-mobility/

Shin splints perhaps ???

It's probably your shoes and tight calves that are causing this. Cream might relieve temporarily but try and find the root of the problem.
    yup do all this

ive yet to work with someone that runs more than 1-2 per week that didnt have messed up ankles and hips mainly because their idea of mobility work and stretching is 2mins touching their toes before and end of the run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I heard about Magnesium spray. Supposedly has the same effect as an epson salt bath, you just spray it on the muscles and massage it in.

I have it, coudn't tell ya if its any good, but when I am desperate for a quicker recovery I'd use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

It's been.proven over and over those gels or external creams don't work. Physio and anti inflammatories only

It's been.proven over and over those gels or external creams don't work. Physio and anti inflammatories only
    uddermint does penetrate into the hurt, it is intended to penetrate a cows udder and heat up the affected part, all i can say it works for me, i suffer from ostioarthritis, i also have two bulging discs, plus broken bones in two places on either side of my lower spine, i have had all the modern injections nerves cut etc, uddermint in conjunction with antinflamatrys and pain killers when things go overboard

pulls ups a thread from 2 yrs ago to say that - Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

why not it shows up on google so its relevant content and available, your reply i dont see any reason for

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why are you googling gels and external creams when it's been proven over and over that they don't work?

Mellor wrote: »
    Why are you googling gels and external creams when it's been proven over and over that they don't work?

Take a bow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Not sure what creams/gels you have tryed , but since i made this thread iv got plenty on prescription and have worked a treat for me :) .... better than poisoning my body with painkillers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Not sure what creams/gels you have tryed , but since i made this thread iv got plenty on prescription and have worked a treat for me :) .... better than poisoning my body with painkillers :D

I'm pretty sure these gels make there way into your bloodstream too. Same as painkillers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jaffa cakes have been proven,repeatedly, to help.

hereabouts some recomend using pothein as a rub, others say drink it, then roll the bottle over the affected area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Did anyone ever hear of putting cottage cheese on Joints and such .

I presume a poultus..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

blinding wrote: »
    Did anyone ever hear of putting cottage cheese on Joints and such .

I presume a poultus..............

In his time as Fulham Fc manager, Felix Magath told a player with an injury to rub cheese on the affected area..... He was sacked pretty soon after that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Thats where I heard about it and I was just wondering did anyone have any positive evidence for this.......

Advertisement