Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muscle and Joint creams, gels and sprays

• 23-09-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Hi all sorry if this is in the wrong forum but...

what is the best gel etc for muscle aches ?

I got some "etoflam" off a friend last night and it seemed to work quite well but lost effect after an hour or so ?

thanks in advance

dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

S'all hocus pocus. Take some paracetamol if you're in pain. Ideally stop doing whatever is causing you to be in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shivvy333

Hi there,
    Aloe heat lotion by Forever Living is super for this. As a forever living business owner this is the product we recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭COH

shivvy333 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Aloe heat lotion by Forever Living is super for this. As a forever living business owner this is the product we recommend.

No agenda there then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

What is the cause of the muscle aches ? Long run or over did it in the gym ?

I quite like Voltarol and Biofreeze. Both are expensive but cheaper alternatives available.
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi all sorry if this is in the wrong forum but...

what is the best gel etc for muscle aches ?

I got some "etoflam" off a friend last night and it seemed to work quite well but lost effect after an hour or so ?

thanks in advance

dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

COH wrote: »
    No agenda there then :rolleyes:
    hot water bottle would be more effective

• Advertisement

grahamor wrote: »
    What is the cause of the muscle aches ? Long run or over did it in the gym ?

I quite like Voltarol and Biofreeze. Both are expensive but cheaper alternatives available.
    this i recommend but shouldnt need to be used all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭ongarite

As said before they are all hocus pocus, maybe they work in fooling the users mind that are of benefit.
    BBC did an investigation on them, both the heating and cooling ones and all they did was heat/cool the users skin with no effect on muscle temperature or recovery.

https://youtu.be/BxM1X7jCh-A?t=20m13s

ongarite wrote: »
    As said before they are all hocus pocus, maybe they work in fooling the users mind that are of benefit.
    BBC did an investigation on them, both the heating and cooling ones and all they did was heat/cool the users skin with no effect on muscle temperature or recovery.

https://youtu.be/BxM1X7jCh-A?t=20m13s

Voltarol neither heats nor cools and is an anti inflammatory. There are some good Irish versions of this product too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Voltarol neither heats nor cools and is an anti inflammatory. There are some good Irish versions of this product too.

Yep I find voltarol good for temporary strains etc. too. Well, I actually use Diclac which is the generic version and cheaper about €7 a tube I think. Handy to have in the cupboard as a standby.

exactly and i use the diclac as much cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

thanks guys going to look into voltarol or diclac , cause was running on hard ground for too long :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

a vet product called uddermint, seems to be the choice of professional and simi pro's, add arthritis sufferers, greyhound owners swear by it for muscle and sprain problems

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

What about Flexiseq or it's more expensive, and advertised to death brother, Flexiseq sport.
    Anyone use it ? - I've heard from someone that it does make a real difference for managing knee pain/stiffness from injuries that have caused cartiledge to be worn away.

It's unbelievably expensive though.

running on hard ground for too long :)

Shin splints perhaps ???

It's probably your shoes and tight calves that are causing this. Cream might relieve temporarily but try and find the root of the problem.

What about Flexiseq or it's more expensive, and advertised to death brother, Flexiseq sport.
    Anyone use it ? - I've heard from someone that it does make a real difference for managing knee pain/stiffness from injuries that have caused cartiledge to be worn away.

It's unbelievably expensive though.
    been using it for about 6 weeks now and helped lots for me, lower back issue, the drying was a pain in the arse though

review here - http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2015/08/flexiseq-relieves-pain-and-improves-mobility/

Shin splints perhaps ???

It's probably your shoes and tight calves that are causing this. Cream might relieve temporarily but try and find the root of the problem.
    yup do all this

ive yet to work with someone that runs more than 1-2 per week that didnt have messed up ankles and hips mainly because their idea of mobility work and stretching is 2mins touching their toes before and end of the run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I heard about Magnesium spray. Supposedly has the same effect as an epson salt bath, you just spray it on the muscles and massage it in.

I have it, coudn't tell ya if its any good, but when I am desperate for a quicker recovery I'd use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

It's been.proven over and over those gels or external creams don't work. Physio and anti inflammatories only

It's been.proven over and over those gels or external creams don't work. Physio and anti inflammatories only
    uddermint does penetrate into the hurt, it is intended to penetrate a cows udder and heat up the affected part, all i can say it works for me, i suffer from ostioarthritis, i also have two bulging discs, plus broken bones in two places on either side of my lower spine, i have had all the modern injections nerves cut etc, uddermint in conjunction with antinflamatrys and pain killers when things go overboard

pulls ups a thread from 2 yrs ago to say that - Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

why not it shows up on google so its relevant content and available, your reply i dont see any reason for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why are you googling gels and external creams when it's been proven over and over that they don't work?

Mellor wrote: »
    Why are you googling gels and external creams when it's been proven over and over that they don't work?

Take a bow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Not sure what creams/gels you have tryed , but since i made this thread iv got plenty on prescription and have worked a treat for me :) .... better than poisoning my body with painkillers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Not sure what creams/gels you have tryed , but since i made this thread iv got plenty on prescription and have worked a treat for me :) .... better than poisoning my body with painkillers :D

I'm pretty sure these gels make there way into your bloodstream too. Same as painkillers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jaffa cakes have been proven,repeatedly, to help.

hereabouts some recomend using pothein as a rub, others say drink it, then roll the bottle over the affected area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Did anyone ever hear of putting cottage cheese on Joints and such .

I presume a poultus..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

blinding wrote: »

In his time as Fulham Fc manager, Felix Magath told a player with an injury to rub cheese on the affected area..... He was sacked pretty soon after that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Thats where I heard about it and I was just wondering did anyone have any positive evidence for this.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

blinding wrote: »

Get a can of WD40. Apparently according to fellas in the building trade they swear by it..

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Get a can of WD40. Apparently according to fellas in the building trade they swear by it..

That myth has been busted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Transform wrote: »
    been using it for about 6 weeks now and helped lots for me, lower back issue, the drying was a pain in the arse though

review here - http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2015/08/flexiseq-relieves-pain-and-improves-mobility/

hi, that link has gone now. Any further thoughts a few years on this gel? its pricey so before I try wouldn't find any feedback
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Tiger Balm not mentioned but effective. Turns out it can be bought at the chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

aquinn wrote: »
    Tiger Balm not mentioned but effective. Turns out it can be bought at the chemist.

Thanks bit on the strong smelling side for daytime office use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 majella mallon

Due to an old injury I have recurring muscle spasm....I find coconut oil helps as it is full of great healing properties including good fatty acids, preferably heat the oil, massage in and rest, if you can cover with a support bandage all the better. I agree with everyone who made the point of not medicating or using chemical lotions if possible- long term anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi
    I have shoulder and neck pain after a car accident.
    Been to gp and physo.
    They suggested i have whip lash which given my age becomes much more painful when the weather is cold and damp.
    I don't like taking the prescription pain killers as it affects my ability to concentrate at work.
    Currently using heat pads and etoflam which was effective when the weather was warm , completely ineffective since the weather has got below 10derees.
    Any advice going back to Gp on Monday.
    Or has any used acupuncture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

pmrc wrote: »
    Hi
    I have shoulder and neck pain after a car accident.
    Been to gp and physo.
    They suggested i have whip lash which given my age becomes much more painful when the weather is cold and damp.
    I don't like taking the prescription pain killers as it affects my ability to concentrate at work.
    Currently using heat pads and etoflam which was effective when the weather was warm , completely ineffective since the weather has got below 10derees.
    Any advice going back to Gp on Monday.
    Or has any used acupuncture?

What did the physio do for you?

I ask because my wife and I were in a car crash and she suffered for months with whip lash. Physio did nothing. Got a recommendation for a different physio who said if he couldn't resolve it in 4 sessions, it would need more than physiotherapy. After 3 sessions he said she was good to go and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

The physio just gave me some exercise to do twice a day, which i have been doing.
    He did say that the cold damp weather would make it worse.
    The accident happened in May so apart from the initial pain after a car accident i have been ok
    How ever
    shoulder and arm feel stiff and cold all the time since November/December.
    Its very tiring as i work full time.

Have you tried flexiseq? It's a gel you apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

pmrc wrote: »
    The physio just gave me some exercise to do twice a day, which i have been doing.
    He did say that the cold damp weather would make it worse.
    The accident happened in May so apart from the initial pain after a car accident i have been ok
    How ever
    shoulder and arm feel stiff and cold all the time since November/December.
    Its very tiring as i work full time.

If your arm and shoulder have felt stiff all the time since November/December, I'd be looking to go to physio because gels etc are addressing some discomfort but not dealing with the underlying problem.

If your arm and shoulder have felt stiff all the time since November/December, I'd be looking to go to physio because gels etc are addressing some discomfort but not dealing with the underlying problem.

And don’t do 2 cycles of smolov jr Bench either. Just sayin.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    And don’t do 2 cycles of smolov jr Bench either. Just sayin.

Lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

There is this cream called penetrex. very effective. A bit expensive. Can get it from biovea or amazon US. Lots of reviews in amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

ewiz9 wrote: »
    There is this cream called penetrex. very effective. A bit expensive. Can get it from biovea or amazon US. Lots of reviews in amazon

I would have thought a cream called Penitrex served a very, very different purpose :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Apparently none of these topical remedies can possibly enter through the skin into the muscle or joint and do anything there. So I would agree with the hokuspokus sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

Voltarol Emulgel Extra Strength 2% I found good on my dodgey knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dave 101 wrote: »
    Voltarol Emulgel Extra Strength 2% I found good on my dodgey knee

The 4% spray is great too . Unfortunately it's prescription only but it definitely works for my achey tendon

Has anyone suggested snake oil yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Volteral is amazing (the 2%)

• Advertisement
Advertisement