Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

franglan wrote: »
    Santonio Holmes needs to get rid of the red contact lenses and just go away.

Cannot wait until this chap is released from the Jets.

Only following the Jets about 7 years or so now but he is by far the my most hated of Jets players I've seen. Complete a**hole too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Locker room upon it being confirmed that Rex is staying:

ku-xlarge.gif

going to shock the world next year folks

icon14.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

Would love to see all the dressing room for a full reaction/assessment of what the jets players think of Rex staying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Decided to wait till some of the uncertainty in the jets season was resolved. Mainly Rex Ryan's contract.

So first off Rex Ryan being kept in my opinion was the best option. He showed he can get a team AFC Championship game and compete. He could of been fired but who would have been the alternative ?

Someone from college ? The likes of Jim Cadwell, Jay Gruden etc..

His defensive work is top notch and every team in the league would kill to have him. Give him a 2 year cycle if he cant show improvement on the offensive side in both stats and developing players then we'll move on from Rex and thank him for the memories !

Re-signings
    Austin Howard and Willie Colon need to be resigned to stabilize the offensive line.

Once Josh Cribbs was signed the special teams improved , he was injured in pre season for the other teams he signed for . He shouldnt cost to much and will be asset if he can remain fit.

Kellen Winslow, Ed Reed, Calvin pace need to be cut. Pace May have spot for a cheap 1 year deal as depth linebacker . Time to move on from Jeff Cumberland, he hasn't developed, take someone younger.

Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie - Holmes I want to move on, he could decent come next year but hes not worth it even if he reduces is salary.

Cromartie - I keep moving back and forth he had an awful second part of season. Restructure and keep . I don't know

Now the interesting point of QB, Geno's last few games showed promise. I hope they get in competition and not Michael Vick as its been rumored or suggested on sites. But somebody to force Geno to win the job.

With the rookie pay scale and the fact Geno was a 2nd round pick we can give him this year and if he doesnt pan out we can move on. but he needs a fair chance with some good weapons. He arguably had the worst set of receivers in the league.

Weapons - I'd take a risk on Maclin coming of a season injured and hitting free agency. Could be exactly what we need.

Draft

First round - I can see a OLB being taken or i can see WR/TE being taken, Id rather the latter group. If we take a defensive player its Ryans influence, Id rather we take a WR and let rex coach up 3rd 4th rounders.

2nd or 3rd round think we need to depth O-line, The rookie winters hasnt played great but theirs no alternative for next year . Depending if we pick wr/te in first. An OLB needs to be drafted very light in this department.

pick 4- Honestly upside skill position . RB/TE/WR.

round 5-7
    Ill just pray they do anything .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Re-signings
    Austin Howard and Willie Colon need to be resigned to stabilize the offensive line.

Once Josh Cribbs was signed the special teams improved , he was injured in pre season for the other teams he signed for . He shouldnt cost to much and will be asset if he can remain fit.

Kellen Winslow, Ed Reed, Calvin pace need to be cut. Pace May have spot for a cheap 1 year deal as depth linebacker . Time to move on from Jeff Cumberland, he hasn't developed, take someone younger.

Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie - Holmes I want to move on, he could decent come next year but hes not worth it even if he reduces is salary.

Cromartie - I keep moving back and forth he had an awful second part of season. Restructure and keep . I don't know

Weapons - I'd take a risk on Maclin coming of a season injured and hitting free agency. Could be exactly what we need.

Totally agree on the offensive line, imo Howard is the most valuable of the Jets players hitting free agency and needs to be resign. I'm also in favor of resigning Colon his biggest thing heading into the season was staying healthy he proved this and was the best on the line in pass protection.

Once they resigned the most valuable FA they need to sign MO Wilkerson he only has 1 year left on his contract and you dont need a player as good has him gettin anywhere near FA, he is the Jets prized star and the moment and deserves a multi year deal

Winslow is definitely a goner after the antics his got up to this season! i think Reed needs to as well even though rex has credited him with Milliners vast improvements in the final quarter of the season, his just to much of a risk each time he goes onto the field. Pace might still have another year in him but if he is brought back as a rotational player/locker room leader, hopefully Barnes and Coples can stay fit and hold there spots at OLB.

As you said Holmes is as good as gone and that cant happen quick enough imo.
    Cro could come back IF physically ok, his hip seemed to be a major problem for him this season and a reasonable salary can be agreed upon.

Once FA hits I would love to see them go after Jairus Byrd he is the best safety to hit FA and is the type of player the Jets have been missing at this position for some time, i know he is going to command a ton of money on the open market so i might not be ideal, but then i think they could go for a receiver like Golden Tate or a James Jones who wouldn't be looking for as big a pay day as Decker or Maclin

I know its silly to speculate on draft needs before we've went though free agency but at this stage I'd like to see a TE/WR in the first 2 rounds, then use the two third round picks on S/OLB

so its that time of year again and it looks like Cro is the first big name to be released, loved the guy but its the right move, looks like there is about 30 million in cap space now.
    Screenshot2014-03-09at190404-1.png

lets hope Holmes is the next one to get the chop ive read it could be as soon as wednesday

It will be interesting to see who picks up Sanchez, he has to go but did bring the Jets to two championship games. As a replacement I'd take Shaub but he wants to start and not sit behind Geno.

It will be interesting to see who picks up Sanchez, he has to go but did bring the Jets to two championship games. As a replacement I'd take Shaub but he wants to start and not sit behind Geno.

Raiders could be a good shout - Or maybe backing up Wilson in Seattle due to the Carroll connections.

Fairly sad to see Cro go - He was a great servant to the Jets, pretty bad last year but he was banged up and his 2010 and 2012 season were fantastic.
    Have a sneaky he feeling he might end up with the Patriots!!!!
    And he provided us with one of the unintentionally hilarious & classic moments in the best Hard Knocks season there has been.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Raiders could be a good shout - Or maybe backing up Wilson in Seattle due to the Carroll connections.

Fairly sad to see Cro go - He was a great servant to the Jets, pretty bad last year but he was banged up and his 2010 and 2012 season were fantastic.
    Have a sneaky he feeling he might end up with the Patriots!!!!
    And he provided us with one of the unintentionally hilarious & classic moments in the best Hard Knocks season there has been.

Straight swap with Aqib Talib - sound!

• Advertisement

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/jets-cut-santonio-holmes/

so Santonio got released today, I have feeling no one will be that upset over this news!
    the cut will save the Jets around 8 million

phatkev wrote: »
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/jets-cut-santonio-holmes/

so Santonio got released today, I have feeling no one will be that upset over this news!
    the cut will save the Jets around 8 million

Whilst I wad down on Cro being released I'm over the moon this chap is gone. It all went downhill at the end of the 2011 Season in Miami.
    Again gave us some fantastic moments

Many people will talk about that amazing clutch playoff catch in Foxboro against the Patriots but for me his OT Catch and Go TD against the Browns is mine. It was around that time we went through some really close wins against Houston, Detroit & Cleveland and he was the difference maker in them games.

I know he was dislikeable and all, but what are we going to do now in his wake?

We now have no useful QB; no useful TE or WR; a couple of okay backs. That's a lot of work imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Whilst I wad down on Cro being released I'm over the moon this chap is gone. It all went downhill at the end of the 2011 Season in Miami.
    Again gave us some fantastic moments

Many people will talk about that amazing clutch playoff catch in Foxboro against the Patriots but for me his OT Catch and Go TD against the Browns is mine. It was around that time we went through some really close wins against Houston, Detroit & Cleveland and he was the difference maker in them games.

:(

That was one of those what if moments.

What if Chansi Stuckey had of just stepped out of fcuking bounds. Instead of fumbling. We kick the field goal and beat the Saints, Patriots and Jets in 3 weeks on the spin.

Mangenius and Ryan and Colt McCoy lead the Browns to the playoffs. :pac:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I know he was dislikeable and all, but what are we going to do now in his wake?

We now have no useful QB; no useful TE or WR; a couple of okay backs. That's a lot of work imo.

I'm still glad he's gone but your right, unless we strike gold in the draft we will be lacking at one position or another.

There is talk of so many WR's going in the first round that some of them are bound to be busts - Really hope we don't end up being that team.

By Mid May going into Mini Camp I think our skill positions will looks like this.

QB
    1./2. Geno / FA QB (Schaub or Vick)
    3. Simms & Late Round Draft QB

RB
    1.Ivory
    2.Powell
    3.Goodson / Draft RB

WR
    1. Draft WR (1st Round) What would it cost to move up and take Sammy?
    2. FA WR (Would love Golden Tate here)
    3. Kerley
    4. Nelson
    5. Hill/Gates/XXX (All Battling it out for that 5th Roster Spot)

TE
    1. Jeff Cumberland
    2. FA TE (Chandler or Pettigrew)
    3. Reuland / Pantale / Sudfeld

I think they should make a move for Shaub or Vick by the way. This is a make or break season for Rex Ryan and he should get the best QB available looking at purely week one as the consideration.

But the roster is a bit of a disaster right now and there isn't enough cap room to properly fix all of it. I have no clue what they are going to do really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I see ye couldn't agree to a deal with Austin Howard & he will test free agency. Massive blow if he departs

its a bit siht alright, and if a team is willing to give him around 9 million, congratulations to him, but im glad the jets aren't giving him that type of cash

its a bit siht alright, and if a team is willing to give him around 9 million, congratulations to him, but im glad the jets aren't giving him that type of cash

Agreed - He's supposedly visiting with the Raiders so let them throw silly money at him.

Agreed - He's supposedly visiting with the Raiders so let them throw silly money at him.

They have silly money to spend too. When is Sanchez getting cut then?

They have silly money to spend too. When is Sanchez getting cut then?

There isn't too much of a rush to cut Sanchez - He's due some Roster in money in about 2 weeks or so. I think Idzik is waiting first till we get his replacement in before he's let go.

• Advertisement

So Howard signed with the Raiders in a deal wrought about 6M a year, but with 15M guaranteed which is an awful lot of money to be tied up in a RT. But you can't blame Austin Howard. He was a practice squad player and he finally had a shot at a big contract. He deserves it.

Eric Decker to visit the Jets, please please don't overpay him. Former Seahawks OL Breno Giacomini due to visit today aswell

Eric Decker to visit the Jets, please please don't overpay him. Former Seahawks OL Breno Giacomini due to visit today aswell

I think 7-8 Million a year would be ok over 4 years with some agreements that we can cut him short like Tone if it hasn't worked out after year 2.

Cornerback is worrying right now. I think Revis being released and Talib signing that ridiculous contract in Denver has changed the market.

Outside of Revis (who I'd be over the moon if he returned) we can realistically only be after DRC and bringing back Cro. Outside of that I'm not a fan of any of the other FA Corners out there.

I think Captain Munnerlyn would be another CB the Jets should look at.

the ridiculous amounts Davis, Verner and Talib got paid yesterday mean that Revis is going to demand an absolute mountain of cash and i cant see Idzik entertaining the idea of giving it to him(But it would be some class if we got him back). As long as he doesnt end up at the Pats!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

McCown gone to Bucs. Cant believe we going to end up with Vick. A broken down interception machine and definitely not mentor material. Rich Cimini has one article on ESPN about the dangers of signing players with character concerns and another urging the Jets to sign Vick! Maybe we end up keeping Sanchez due to no other viable options.

McCown gone to Bucs. Cant believe we going to end up with Vick. A broken down interception machine and definitely not mentor material. Rich Cimini has one article on ESPN about the dangers of signing players with character concerns and another urging the Jets to sign Vick! Maybe we end up keeping Sanchez due to no other viable options.

Jason Campbell?? i dont think Sanchez would be the worst backup to have on a lot less money though

Would prefer anyone to Vick. No problem with Sanchez staying on reduced terms but rumour is Seattle interested. I fear Vick would lead to media circus and have major unsettling affect on Geno.

yeah I rather not see him the Jets colors to be honest, but he is always going to be linked with them when Mornhinweg is the OC

So while the big news of last night was Revis heading to New England, John Idzik was quietly working away and signed both RT Giacomini and WR Eric Decker. I was ver wary of the jets signing DEcker because of the money he wanted. But the contract details are Decker receiving a 5 year contract for 36.25 million dollars with 15 million guaranteed. Considering what many anticipated him receiving on the open market, his production, age and the current state of the Jets wide receivers…that is an excellent contract by Idzik. I guess there is some reason to be excited about Decker considering Jets gave 1,996 snaps to Stephen Hill/David Nelson/Holmes/Salas/Gates last year.

Good thing the bins are going out today in my Area. Should I put the Revis Jersey in the Green one or the normal? :)

In all seriousness - It's awful he's with the evil empire now but at least we didn't lose some bidding war. Patriots @ Jets for the opening SNF game - Please make it happen scheduling committee.

Giancomini is a solid pickup - Only worry is that he missed a good few games last year, hopefully Oday Aboushi shows he can contribute this year to our depth.

Eric Decker for $7mil a year with 15 guaranteed is good buisness. Read an article on GGN which made a very good point. If Decker wasn't a white WR the media would be foaming at the mouth over him.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/3/12/5500006/why-youre-racist-a-few-thoughts-on-eric-decker

Also say hello to his missus Jessie James ;)

jessie-james-4_raannt1-767x1024.jpg

• Advertisement

Good thing the bins are going out today in my Area. Should I put the Revis Jersey in the Green one or the normal? :)

In all seriousness - It's awful he's with the evil empire now but at least we didn't lose some bidding war. Patriots @ Jets for the opening SNF game - Please make it happen scheduling committee.

Hey look on the bright side we've got a 100% record against teams that Revis was on!!

so Sanchez has been cut. I think the front office screwed him over a little bit by not cutting him earlier but they obviously thought they could get something for him. hard to say where he'll end now the Pete Carroll connection could see him end up with the Seahawks or the Browns maybe?

Vick has just signed, dont know how to feel about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I think it will be an open competition at camp and i think Geno needs that .

I think it will be an open competition at camp and i think Geno needs that .

Absolutely, my worry would be that Vick becomes the day 1 starter which would be a step in the wrong direction imo

Not something you will hear very often but ye'd have been better off with Mark Sanchez. Vick is an injury prone, turnover prone, washed up QB

HigginsJ wrote: »
    . Vick is an injury prone, turnover prone, washed up QB

But he's still an upgrade on Sanchez

Vick has had one 16 game season since being drafted so Geno will see action either way. I was pissed the night the jets drafted Geno, think the jets will be looking for another QB this time next year.

He really isn't, Sanchez is obviously very poor but no where near as bad as Vick at this point

• Advertisement

How hard did they try and get Schaub, he would have been an upgrade on anything the Jets had this past year.

Vick has had one 16 game season since being drafted so Geno will see action either way. I was pissed the night the jets drafted Geno, think the jets will be looking for another QB this time next year.

I'll be a bit of a lone voice here as I highly rated Geno last year coming out. I think that if ye can provide him with some talent on offense, Decker is a good start, that he can be a success

I'll be a bit of a lone voice here as I highly rated Geno last year coming out. I think that if ye can provide him with some talent on offense, Decker is a good start, that he can be a success

Looking at Geno coming out his issues for me were staring down his options too much and accuracy. Think his accuracy will always let him down, the interception total last year was abismal. At times there were times where he needed to throw it away but kept the play alive, threw it out and got intercepted. Maybe he irons out some of these errors in season two- the last couple of games were definitely a positive just concerned that some of this negetive traits will still be there this year.

Looking at Geno coming out his issues for me were staring down his options too much and accuracy. Think his accuracy will always let him down, the interception total last year was abismal. At times there were times where he needed to throw it away but kept the play alive, threw it out and got intercepted. Maybe he irons out some of these errors in season two- the last couple of games were definitely a positive just concerned that some of this negetive traits will still be there this year.

I would take that on board but I would look at the positives. I think he has the ability to become a solid QB but he certainly does have to get better @ reading the game.

If I were a Jets fan he would give me hope. They need more than Decker though. Hill is looking like a bust at this point which is a shame. What do ye have at TE?

. What do ye have at TE?

Jeff Cumberland:o

Ive being reading that they are looking at the possibility of trading for DeSean Jackson which would be nice

• Advertisement

I'm happy with Geno & Vick competing for the number 1 QB position.
    Vick knows Marty's O to a tee so (injury issues aside) I think its the right move.

Mark's salary was too big and his time with us was up after that debacle in Tennessee 2 years ago. He gave us some great memories all the same.

People are making way too big of an issue about our Offense. We will be fine.

Our running game was top 10 and I think Ivory will push on next year.
    Decker, Kerley, David Nelson will be solid receivers and if where to trade for Desean Jackon and pick up someone like Ebron or Marquise Lee in the draft we will be fine.

The Secondary is the big issue - It will come back to haunt us next season.

The Secondary is the big issue - It will come back to haunt us next season.

I can see the 1st round pick being used on Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard. and even if it was Milliner and Walls as the two starters i don't think it can be much worse than last year!

ah man imagine along with Decker and Kerley/Nelson we picked up Jackson and Ebron/Amaro that would be one way to help out Geno!

Disgusted with singing Vick. As one poster said on TOJ we signed a washed up dog killer that nobody else wanted. And now talks of signing Desean Jackson. More character issues that the team doesnt need. I thought Idzik didnt sign players with character issues. Loads of good WRs available in the draft without paying big money to Jackson.

Jeff Cumberland:o

Cumbie!!! Just about a starter at TE plus they got Sudfeld who was cut by the Patriots who had a slight hole to fill at TE! Would love to see the Jets draft Sammy Watkins to compliment Decker as I don't see him thriving as the only number 1 and 2 receiver on the team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement