Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/crime-kingpin-shared-multimillion-euro-council-payout-1.3696813

It does appear that the authorities are taking firm action now but but about ten years to late.

As a member of the public whose taxes went to fund the payout to leave whatever property is being referred to I would like to know who exactly was paid and where is the property.

Francie, the graveyard brawl that you witnessed. Was it the one I linked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,861 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why waste your time asking questions which he has no intention of answering. All he wants is to aggravate you into a negative response.

No he doesn't and please stop trying to mod the thread from the sidelines.

I made the very reasonable point that 'individuals' do not get to decide what aspects of our culture get treated as 'having a value'.

You can choose to not place a value on them, as I showed. But you don't get to abolish or discriminate against them.
    That is the very essence of a democratic society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No he doesn't and please stop trying to mod the thread from the sidelines.

Suggesting that it's a waste of time asking you questions is not modding the thread it's a statement of fact. You have dodged every question any one asks you.

Francie, the graveyard brawl that you witnessed. Was it the one I linked to?
    What link?

• Advertisement

Suggesting that it's a waste of time asking you questions is not modding the thread it's a statement of fact. You have dodged every question any one asks you.

I haven't, I am simply saying that on the subject of their 'value to society' I am not their spokesman.

My point about all of this, is the closing down of a sinister politician and his introduction of incitement to hate to the political domain in this democracy.
    That is a toxic development.

I see you have reported my post, let's leave it to the mods so. [/QUOTE]

Already have, imo anyone that behaves in the manner that you do , does so only to illicit a reaction. If you firmly believe in the unique culture you have spent 100's of posts defending it is reasonable to assume you would be able to define what that culture is . Yet heretofore you have refused or being unable to do so. I'm guessing the latter.

Already have, imo anyone that behaves in the manner that you do , does so only to illicit a reaction. If you firmly believe in the unique culture you have spend 190's of posts defending it is reasonable to assume you would be able to define what that culture is . Yet heretofore you have refused or being unable to do so. I'm guessing the latter.

I have clearly said what my position on that is.

I don't get to decide what their culture is. It is of no importance what I think of it.

I DO get to decide if I want to engage or hold valuable that culture. But I cannot deny it.

Simpler than that I cannot be.

Somebody posited the idea that 'lawlessness, sponging' and something else typically negative where the things travellers were trying to hold on to as 'culturally valuable', it is this kind of toxic ranty debate that Casey has incited. And it is as useless as it is dangerous.

FYI Francie :)

No, it was further north on the border and was quite dangerous at one point. Has been mediated and cooled down now.

• Advertisement

Francie, I respect your endurance at this stage but it's completely futile. Casey has blown the lid off a simmering pot, there's no turning back now. These creatures will be held to account one day.

I don't get to decide what their culture is. It is of no importance what I think of it.

Yet here you are almost ,what? 1300 posts telling us what you think except what is asked of you. Anyway I thought I had you on ignore. Must not work on the mobile site.

Francie, I respect your endurance at this stage but it's completely futile. Casey has blown the lid off a simmering pot, there's no turning back now. These creatures will be held to account one day.

Casey's best achievement tbh. FF re-examining their traveller policy due to 1 in 3 FF voters voting for him. Certain newspapers willing to write truthful accounts of traveller behaviour.

Yet here you are almost ,what? 1300 posts telling us what you think except what is asked of you. Anyway I thought I had you on ignore. Must not work on the mobile site.

If you are going to ignore me, please also stop coaching others.

I am not going to to get into the pro and cons of what travellers regard as their culture and what is valuable to society.

I am offering another point of view to the debate and rejecting Casey's style of politics. If you can't handle that then just ignore me. And leave it to those who can defend him.

Are you trying to tell me how to behave on thread? Is that not by definition back seat modding? I feel another report coming.

Are you trying to tell me how to behave on thread? Is that not by definition back seat modding? I feel another report coming.

I am asking you (note the word 'please') to stop coaching others.

A 'mod' would be an 'instruction' to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I am not going to to get into the pro and cons of what travellers regard as their culture and what is valuable to society.

I am offering another point of view to the debate and rejecting Casey's style of politics. If you can't handle that then just ignore me. And leave it to those who can defend him.

Which would be everyone with intelligence, their eyes open and a distinct lack of wooly headed nostalgia for a time that never existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

My point about all of this, is the closing down of a sinister politician and his introduction of incitement to hate to the political domain in this democracy.

The same "sinister politician" got 23 percent of the vote on election day, despite all the efforts by Leo Varadkar, RTE, and the rest of the media to demonize him and encourage people not to vote for him.

Casey did not "incite hatred." He countered the prevailing progressive tendency to romanticize Travellers as a disadvantaged ethnic minority who just need some long-overdue recognition for their numerous valuable contributions to Irish society.

Many Irish people are tired of Tubridy and his ilk turning a blind eye to Travellers' involvement in organized crime, gang violence, feuding, tax evasion, insurance fraud, and the terrorizing of Ireland's elderly rural population.

As you continue to condemn Casey's comments, the Gardai in Louth are busy taking an all-hands-on-deck approach to escalating gang violence, as reinforcements come from the UK to wreak havoc in local communities.
    There has been a huge increase in armed patrols in Drogheda, and the armed Regional Support Unit (RSU) is currently being deployed in the area on a 24-hour basis.

All hands on deck? Armed patrols? The Regional Support Unit deployed 24 hours a day? I wonder how much this huge policing operation is costing the taxpayer. But let's turn a blind eye to the evident problems, and keep calling anyone who criticizes Travellers a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: FrancieBrady, other posters have repeatedly shown that Peter Casey's statements have not been racist, let alone incitement to hatred. Yet, you keep on bringing it up.

Your next post in this thread had better be some sort of proof that Peter Casey has been racist, made racist statements or has otherwise committed some sort of incitement to hatred. If you can't come up with something somewhat concrete, consider yourself threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find one single pro for traveller culture. By that I mean finding one aspect of their culture that benefits the rest of society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

We are accustomed to Travellers and their advocates referring to their "unique heritage, culture and traditions."

What is this unique heritage?
    What are these unique customs?
    What are their unique traditions?

Nobody can give specific answers to these questions.

Maybe you're not asking in the right place? My own thoughts are that there's good and bad in terms of what might be called 'traveller culture'.

Some of the good points are:
    - very close family units
    - 'traditional' values
    - some traveller families kept oral story telling and traditional music traditions alive when they were unpopular with official Ireland
    - live more lightly on the earth in terms of use of resources over lifetime, compared to many settled people.

Some bad points are:
    - many seem to have a total disregard for responsible disposal of their rubbish.
    - petty thieving and fighting
    - women have more constrained roles
    - little effort made to contribute to society as a whole and help support the state.

On the whole these days, I think it's fair to say that travellers are being slowly subsumed into settled society and there's no real need or value to preserve whatever value once existed. Indeed the very idea of investing additional money in their 'culture' is counter productive to the idea of preserving it anyway.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe you're not asking in the right place? My own thoughts are that there's good and bad in terms of what might be called 'traveller culture'.

- 'traditional' values
    - some traveller families kept oral story telling and traditional music traditions alive when they were unpopular with official Ireland
    - live more lightly on the earth in terms of use of resources over lifetime, compared to many settled people.

Some bad points are:
    - many seem to have a total disregard for responsible disposal of their rubbish.
    - petty thieving and fighting
    - women have more constrained roles
    - little effort made to contribute to society as a whole and help support the state.

On the whole these days, I think it's fair to say that travellers are being slowly subsumed into settled society and there's no real need or value to preserve whatever value once existed. Indeed the very idea of investing additional money in their 'culture' is counter productive to the idea of preserving it anyway.

The award for understatement of the century goes to.....

BarryD2 wrote:
    - very close family units - .

Marrying your first cousin. Sure what could go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

BarryD2 wrote: »

- 'traditional' values

Fair play, youbat least had a go at it.
    Disagree with everything though.

Close family units isnt unique, but it does have negative implications, and having regard to the levels of domestic violence, i think this is a negative.

My experience of travelles is they have zero regard for the earth, air or environment.

What are traditional values?
    Deeply hypocritical religious ethos
    Education aversion?
    Employment aversion?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find one single pro for traveller culture. By that I mean finding one aspect of their culture that benefits the rest of society.

And I will say again, that is not the test.

All sections of this society have been allowed to pursue cultural activity if they deem it important to them, themselves.
    In many cases I don't get a say on their relative value.
    That is one of the things you have to put up with in a truly 'inclusive' society where everyone is entitled to 'parity of esteem'.
    Which is exactly what SEMS was designed to promote here.

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

None of what was said about the above %'s 'ommttted or airbrushed' or omitted or invented anything? They were statements of fact and simply looking at ACTUAL results another way.

Did you omit anything Casey said? Yes you did...the very definition of 'selectivity' :rolleyes:

You said he used hate speech. He did not. There's a fact.
    He said nobody should be discriminated against. There's another fact.
    YOU have been liberal with your figures to the point you've been warned about same on thread. That's facto numero tres. I think that's what they call a hat-trick.

You're embarrassing yourself again.

All sections of this society have been allowed to pursue cultural activity if they deem it important to them, themselves.
    That is one of the things you have to put up with in a truly 'inclusive' society where everyone is entitled to 'parity of esteem'.

You could not be more glaringly wrong.

We do not have "to put up" with:

Female Genital Mutilation
    Santeria animal sacrifices
    Child marriage
    Polygamy/Polyandry
    Sharia-led "no go areas".

And all the other lovely "benefits" of a multicultural Ireland - so why must we ensure the hell that the Travellers put the rest of the normal Irish people through ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I think Francie, the issue people have, is the cultural activity attributable to your beloved SEMS is overwhelmingly negative, and adversely impacting those expected to fund this culture.

If you want to learn to sail, pay for lessons, buy a boat. Enjoy yourself
    If you want to go horse riding, pay for lessons, buy a horse and some land. Enjoy.

But if you want to go sulkie racing on a national primary road, risking life and limb of everyone you encounter, dont come demanding a free paddock and stable, to go along with your free house. You can fcuk the fcuk off!

Any comment to the post about your repeated claims of hate speech?

• Advertisement

You could not be more glaringly wrong.

We do not have "to put up" with:

Female Genital Mutilation
    Santeria animal sacrifices
    Child marriage
    Polygamy/Polyandry
    Sharia-led "no go areas".

And all the other lovely "benefits" of a multicultural Ireland - so why must we ensure the hell that the Travellers put the rest of the normal Irish people through ?

And can you show were the above is being asked for?

Some travellers like some settled people put others through hell, nobody is disputing this fact.
    But nobody within the traveller representative groups are asking that this be accepted either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement