Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,026 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think Francie, the issue people have, is the cultural activity attributable to your beloved SEMS is overwhelmingly negative, and adversely impacting those expected to fund this culture.

If you want to learn to sail, pay for lessons, buy a boat. Enjoy yourself
    If you want to go horse riding, pay for lessons, buy a horse and some land. Enjoy.

But if you want to go sulkie racing on a national primary road, risking life and limb of everyone you encounter, dont come demanding a free paddock and stable, to go along with your free house. You can fcuk the fcuk off!

How many boy racers are in the settled community? How big an issue is it compared to sulky racing?

Completely overblown reaction to wrongdoing by some in this community. And sulky racing on a primary route IS WRONG and not defensible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

And can you show were the above is being asked for?

Some travellers like some settled people put others through hell, nobody is disputing this fact.
    But nobody within the traveller representative groups are asking that this be accepted either.

YOU actually said:
    All sections of this society have been allowed to pursue cultural activity if they deem it important to them, themselves.

That was a direct quote from you.

We have immigrants from countries that practice all of my list. I wish it were not so but what can you do ?

According to you, they have been "allowed to practice" these - (see quote above) - yet I'd argue cutting into a kid's hoo ha or slaughtering a chicken before church have as little to offer for "culture" as the behaviours long since indicated we suffer from travellers.

At least these countries are a defined different ethnicity, language, way of life - we disagree with their culture and we certainly don't let them practice it when it contravenes our law.

Yet travellers are NOT different in ethnicity, language etc - if you agree they are, you might as well argue the Mafia are different to Sicilians. They're just a glorified crime gang in the same country as their victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How many boy racers are in the settled community? How big an issue is it compared to sulky racing?

Thought the mod asked you to back up your claim of hate speech are you going to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Completely overblown reaction to wrongdoing by some in this community. And sulky racing on a primary route IS WRONG and not defensible.

Jasis Francie. Pïss poor comparison

Boy racers arent demanding service pits, race tracks and garages to go with their "culturally appropriate" housing.
    A boy racer also has an identifiable registration and needs a licence to drive.
    A boy racer usually growws up.

Boy racers arent demanding service pits, race tracks and garages to go with their "culturally appropriate" housing.

Oh and the lad in my road has never caused pain and suffering to the loud car with the 80s spoiler.

• Advertisement

YOU actually said:

That was a direct quote from you.

We have immigrants from countries that practice all of my list. I wish it were not so but what can you do ?

According to you, they have been "allowed to practice" these - (see quote above) - yet I'd argue cutting into a kid's hoo ha or slaughtering a chicken before church have as little to offer for "culture" as the behaviours long since indicated we suffer from travellers.

At least these countries are a defined different ethnicity, language, way of life - we disagree with their culture and we certainly don't let them practice it when it contravenes our law.

Yet travellers are NOT different in ethnicity, language etc - if you agree they are, you might as well argue the Mafia are different to Sicilians. They're just a glorified crime gang in the same country as their victims.

There was an assumption in my post (assumed by me anyway) that I am talking about cultural activity that is within our laws.

I.E. there are notable settled politicians claiming that having a few pints and driving home is an activity that should be allowed to continue because it is a traditional behaviour of rural dwellers.

One traveller family has asked for stables and a field to keep their horses as part of a deal with Tipp Co Co.to give up living accommodation they have been in for 50 years and which they say they are happy with.

And again we get the 'generalisation' that they are all doing it. As well as the claim that all of them are sulky driving on primary routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do boy racers consider the themselves an ethnic minority? No. They're nothing but a sub culture, kinda like those that practise sulky racing.

There was an assumption in my post (assumed by me anyway) that I am talking about cultural activity that is within our laws.

I.E. there are notable settled politicians claiming that having a few pints and driving home is an activity that should be allowed to continue because it is a traditional behaviour of rural dwellers.

There are strawmen and then there's the actual Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz.

Really ?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do boy racers consider the themselves an ethnic minority? No. They're nothing but a sub culture, kinda like those that practise sulky racing.

Do you think those sulky drivers were doing it on a primary route because SEMS gave them permission? How come they were doing it before SEMS then?

Is it just possible, that like the boy racers of the settled community, that they were just breaking the law?

• Advertisement

There are strawmen and then there's the actual Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz.

Really ?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I've no idea what the figures for either are.But I know if I drive the 15km to my nearest town I have a better than 90% chance of meeting a sulky on the road.Not racing but definitely out for a training gallop.A nuisance and a danger to other road users.Couldn't even stay in the hard shoulder either.

There is a halting site just outside that side of town.

The chances of meeting a boy racer are slim to none.

So yes sulky's are a big issue.

Do you think those sulky drivers were doing it on a primary route because SEMS gave them permission? How come they were doing it before SEMS then?

Is it just possible, that like the boy racers of the settled community, that they were just breaking the law?

Unless the boy racers are wrecklessly speeding they're not necessarily breaking any laws are they? I'm sure that most lads in flash cars would have it in their interests to be taxed and insured on the roads. Tramps on horses with rickety attachments belting down the motorways tho...

Francie, I'll give the devil his due. You're not for budging and that's a good quality sometimes in debating but when the facts and the overall consensus aren't on your side, it just becomes futile.

Unless the boy racers are wrecklessly speeding they're not necessarily breaking any laws are they? I'm sure that most lads in flash cars would have it in their interests to be taxed and insured on the roads. Tramps on horses with rickety attachments belting down the motorways tho...

From 2014 but indicative of the idiotic levels pussyfooting around these people there is:

https://www.thejournal.ie/sulky-racing-ban-delusional-1507242-Jun2014/

Mod: FrancieBrady, other posters have repeatedly shown that Peter Casey's statements have not been racist, let alone incitement to hatred. Yet, you keep on bringing it up.

Your next post in this thread had better be some sort of proof that Peter Casey has been racist, made racist statements or has otherwise committed some sort of incitement to hatred. If you can't come up with something somewhat concrete, consider yourself threadbanned.

Just thought I'd mention this as us mere mortals can't get an answer to the hate speech allegation maybe an esteemed member of the moderation team can.

Do you think sulky drivers are doing it because of SEMS and how does that explain why they did it before SEMS.

You made the claim, that ethnic minority status somehow excused them for breaking the law. Please engage with the questions asked about your claim.

Just thought I'd mention this as us mere mortals can't get an answer to the hate speech allegation maybe an esteemed member of the moderation team can.

I have engaged with the mod in question and will answer that when he/she responds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Saw an interesting article in the paper this morning

Illegal dumpers in Cork to avoid prosecution

Prosecutions are unlikely against those responsible for a new wave of illegal dumping activity around a €5m purpose-built Traveller housing estate close to Apple’s European headquarters in Cork.

However, city council cleaning crews have been tasked on several occasions in recent weeks to remove material dumped on land immediately east of the housing estate.

The dumped material includes suites of furniture, kitchen chairs, several white goods, plastic toys and containers, tyres, carpets, and metal.

A new community centre was built to house community initiatives such as a homework club, computer literacy courses, learner driver courses, and boxing, but it was vandalised within months of opening.

The green areas were landscaped with undulations, bumps, and hollows to prevent the parking of caravans and to deter the grazing of horses.

However, the members of three families on the halting site refused to move into the new homes and a standoff over facilities for horses and possible disturbance money ensued.

Talks took place over several weeks and agreement was finally reached which saw all Traveller families relocate to the new housing estate in June 2015.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/illegal-dumpers-in-cork-to-avoid-prosecution-885184.html

How it was resolved

Travellers were also told that from Monday, the halting site would no longer be classed as an official halting site and they would technically be considered trespassers if they remained.

The last man finally agreed to join with the others and move on Monday.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/travellers-in-cork-agree-to-move-into-euro5m-estate-after-standoff-336702.html

Tipp County Council should have done similar with those who wanted half an acre of land and stables in Tipperary

Do you think sulky drivers are doing it because of SEMS and how does that explain why they did it before SEMS.

You made the claim, that ethnic minority status somehow excused them for breaking the law. Please engage with the questions asked about your claim.

Simple . They did it before because they are law breaking little scrotes.

They do it now for that reason and because they think they are untouchable as they can cry racism, or have you do it for them.

• Advertisement

I have engaged with the mod in question and will answer that when he/she responds.

Did you not get an instruction, you seem keen for others to behave on thread why do you feel you are different.

Never uttered a word about SEMS. I made no such claim. Stop lying. Also, why should amyone engage with anything you ask when you blatantly have ignored the mod telling you to explain your hate speech claims. And rest assured, they are claims you absolutely made.

"Your next post in this thread had better be some sort of proof that Peter Casey has been racist, made racist statements or has otherwise committed some sort of incitement to hatred. If you can't come up with something somewhat concrete, consider yourself threadbanned."

Seems pretty straightforward to me...

Put up or shut up comes to mind here. You've been crowing about it for thousands of posts and now your hand is being forced. Let's see are you espousing truth or talking pure baseless crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'm sure the mod will sort the issue with Francie when they are available

Stabbings, hatchet attacks, kidnappings and car bombs: Drogheda's gang feud is boiling over
    The feud erupted after a shooting in July.

https://www.thejournal.ie/drogheda-gang-feud-4337207-Nov2018/

Some of the comments are interesting

Never uttered a word about SEMS. I made no such claim. Stop lying.
    Omackeral wrote:
    Do boy racers consider the themselves an ethnic minority?

Also, why should amyone engage with anything you ask when you blatantly have ignored the mod telling you to explain your hate speech claims. And rest assured, they are claims you absolutely made.

I have taken the mod note to mean 'if my next post is about incitement to hate'.
    I have asked them what was wrong with my many explanations and linking to legislation already on this thread.

One traveller family has asked for stables and a field to keep their horses as part of a deal with Tipp Co Co.to give up living accommodation they have been in for 50 years and which they say they are happy with.

And again we get the 'generalisation' that they are all doing it. As well as the claim that all of them are sulky driving on primary routes.

6 houses were built for a group of travellers, SOME of whom had been in the area for 40 years.

When did sulky racing become part of their culture?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'm sure the mod will sort the issue with Francie when they are available

Stabbings, hatchet attacks, kidnappings and car bombs: Drogheda's gang feud is boiling over
    The feud erupted after a shooting in July.

https://www.thejournal.ie/drogheda-gang-feud-4337207-Nov2018/

Some of the comments are interesting

Made what I thought was a fairly innocuous remark earlier that I was concerned for a couple of friends in Drogheda given the way the things are escalating. I made the mistake of saying "one of them lives near a halting site that's known for trouble".

You can imagine the response ?

6 houses were built for a group of travellers, SOME of whom had been in the area for 40 years.

When did sulky racing become part of their culture?

I didn't say it was. It was introduced by another poster.

• Advertisement

OK, seems from a reread of the Mod instruction that I am required to do the below. I will say, I have done this a number of times on the thread.

Peter Casey made the comment 'travellers are BASICALLY people who camp on other people's land'.

If you look to verify this comment on the CSO site you will see it is wholly untrue. Over 70% of travellers live in fixed accommodation.

There can be no denying that this statement was a 'generalisation'.

If you believe that a generalisation about any community is 'insulting' then it comes under the legislation.
    Section 2 offence:
    “It shall be an offence for a person—
    (a) to publish or distribute written material,
    (b) to use words, behave or display written material—
    (i) in any place other than inside a private residence, or
    (ii) inside a private residence so that the words, behaviour or
    material are heard or seen by persons outside the residence,
    or
    (c) to distribute, show or play a recording of visual images or sounds,
    if the written material, words, behaviour, visual images or sounds, as the case
    may be, are threatening, abusive or insulting and are intended or, having
    regard to all the circumstances, are likely to stir up hatred.

It is my opinion that he incited hatred deliberately by making this quite false and generalised remark.

If I am not allowed to express that opinion and back it up with factual links, so be it, I will take my leave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement