Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

More promising stuff for Roscommon. And kudos to the council for putting it on their Website and Facebook.

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Broadband-in-County-Roscommon/

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Pique wrote: »
    More promising stuff for Roscommon. And kudos to the council for putting it on their Website and Facebook.

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Broadband-in-County-Roscommon/
    Kudos is right. I'm in Wexford an we were due to start surveys after Cavan/Limerick I think but I've contacted Wexford Co Council and the broadband officer in the council for an update in the last 10 days and haven't heard a dickie bird back. No updates on NBI website or facebook either. My next port of call was going to to be the DCCAE to see if they know what's going on.

Kudos is right. I'm in Wexford an we were due to start surveys after Cavan/Limerick I think but I've contacted Wexford Co Council and the broadband officer in the council for an update in the last 10 days and haven't heard a dickie bird back. No updates on NBI website or facebook either. My next port of call was going to to be the DCCAE to see if they know what's going on.
    Heard from NBI today. They've been surveying in Co. Wexford for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Heard from NBI today. They've been surveying in Co. Wexford for the last few weeks.

Is that wexford town specifically or where in Wexford are they starting?

• Advertisement

Peter Hendrick on Shannonside FM yesterday.

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/selection-high-speed-broadband-connections-go-live-coming-weeks/

Tl;dr
    Design phase in 11 counties for this year. Next year, the remaining counties will be surveyed for buildout but all BCPs will be connected this year. 5-8 weeks survey duration. Poles replaced in 'make-ready' phase prior to build out. The closer you are to a Trunk line, the quicker you will be connected. 60-70 operators on the NBP network predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭rodge123

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/selection-high-speed-broadband-connections-go-live-coming-weeks/

Tl;dr
    Design phase in 11 counties for this year. Next year, the remaining counties will be surveyed for buildout but all BCPs will be connected this year. 5-8 weeks survey duration. Poles replaced in 'make-ready' phase prior to build out. The closer you are to a Trunk line, the quicker you will be connected. 60-70 operators on the NBP network predicted.

Did he mention which counties would be surveyed this year?
    Did he say if counties that are surveyed first will also get buildout first?
    Any mention of their logic of picking certain counties before others for surveying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭dollylama

rodge123 wrote: »
    Did he mention which counties would be surveyed this year?
    Did he say if counties that are surveyed first will also get buildout first?
    Any mention of their logic of picking certain counties before others for surveying?

The host asked him in particular why was Roscommon picked as one of the first counties. NBI guy says these were chosen due to their proximity to the core networks on railway and gas lines. So just to be clear, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact ex-TD Denis the menace happens to be from Roscommon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

We had a follow-up visit from what I assume was a supervisor yesterday - said he was checking up on the quality of the survey done earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Does it mention anywhere what towns are included in the new survey?

Im based in headford and stuck with pretty awful broadband, despite there being an inactive cabinet 500 metres form my house :(

Go 1km outside the town and you can get Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Nuphor

The drip-feeding of information is becoming a real pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Nuphor wrote: »
    The drip-feeding of information is becoming a real pain.

This is a deluge of information compared to what was happening prior to the contract being signed. Their PR machine is doing a great job of getting the word out with local newspapers and radio stations.
    I have a Google alert set up for "National Broadband Ireland" and the flow of new articles is relatively constant. One or more every week, and almost all of them involve direct messaging/quotes from NBI themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

daraghwal wrote: »

They were surveying around Barntown area yesterday anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Tl;dr

I suspect any timings will change now. The national broadband plan has to become the number one infrastructure priority in the next government to prepare for more waves of Covid. It also goes a long way to solve problems of traffic, housing, office space etc in Dublin. If you can have your staff work from home do you really need to pay Dublin wages and lease a flagship Dublin office.

My bet is projects like the Metro, DAA second runway, Luas extensions, Cork Limerick Motorway etc will all be delayed to allow for an electrification style national effort for universal Fiber Broadband.

daraghwal wrote: »
    No idea where they started. I read somewhere before that it was townlands around Wexford town. The town itself has SIRO but I couldn't tell you how far that goes out to the countryside.

This is a deluge of information compared to what was happening prior to the contract being signed. Their PR machine is doing a great job of getting the word out with local newspapers and radio stations.
    I have a Google alert set up for "National Broadband Ireland" and the flow of new articles is relatively constant. One or more every week, and almost all of them involve direct messaging/quotes from NBI themselves.

Dont agree here. Ive signed up to get alerts from them directly as well as keeping an eye out for updates.

Had nothing from them. Am I 7 years away or 1 year away. WFH is completely feasible....if the broadband outside of cities was anyways decent. Which its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

How do you know if you are close to a Trunk line? I live near Claregalway which is being surveyed now according to some Eir technicians that called to fix my connection this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

They need to stop the BCPs. They are a waste of money, roll-out time and resources, especially now with Covid19.

They should focus fully on the real roll-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Tl;dr

Referring back to this post by the (sorely missed) Navi, I wonder would these NBI OLT locations translate to trunk lines as mentioned above?
    I have a list of what I believe are NBI OLT locations. This is comparable to the eir exchange and it is where the fibre runs for a given area will start. I think the closer you are to one of these locations the quicker you are likely to be connected when they start building. There are 227 locations in total, too many to put in a table here so I made a spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11hSbc0gWICHmVIVuXsN9myxoHnaZUwj1N96sBQdyqFQ/edit?usp=sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Dero wrote: »
    Referring back to this post by the (sorely missed) Navi, I wonder would these NBI OLT locations translate to trunk lines as mentioned above?

Damn, Claregalway isn't on that list :( Thanks for posting the list! Maybe the Athenry trunk will get me connected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭dollylama

user1842 wrote: »
    They need to stop the BCPs. They are a waste of money, roll-out time and resources, especially now with Covid19.

They should focus fully on the real roll-out.

Wasn't the consensus that these BCP's were only to be seen to be making progress despite the fact that fibre in the area of the BCP could take years.

I suspect myself that the microwave fed BCP's are 1. to keep NBI's Airspeed subsidiary busy and keep income in-house and 2. if this goes pear-shaped and fibre never comes... there would be a sturdy, national radio network in remote locations that the last mile could hang off . Not related but I see some ex-Airspeed telecom guys in 4site too.

I'm aware of one BCP location that just happened to get a publicly funded, industrial microwave link installed prior to the contract with NBI even being signed! One of the mobile networks is now using it for backhaul, their presence also publicly funded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Emmanuel Lemon Louse........poetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

People from NBI were surveying my area for extended fibre in the Caherconlish and Ballysimon in Limerick over the last week. Most of us have OpenEir FTTH since October 2017. But it will benefit a good share of my neighbours that don’t have access to the current FTTH lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I'm wondering whether anything is realistically possible here.

In an interview with the Irish Independent, Mr Donohoe also said the national roll-out of broadband needs “even greater urgency” so people living in rural areas are not at a disadvantage.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tax-breaks-for-working-from-home-on-the-cards-39181336.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

KOR101 wrote: »
    I'm wondering whether anything is realistically possible here.

In an interview with the Irish Independent, Mr Donohoe also said the national roll-out of broadband needs “even greater urgency” so people living in rural areas are not at a disadvantage.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tax-breaks-for-working-from-home-on-the-cards-39181336.html

I wouldn't think so, I guess he is just emphasising how critical this piece of infrastructure is. It's starting to look like a very good decision now politically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I wouldn't think so, I guess he is just emphasising how critical this piece of infrastructure is. It's starting to look like a very good decision now politically

well even the im alright jack brigade can see the benefits of not having everyone out on the roads to go to an office where they do the same job they are doing from home right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

Meanwhile in the UK.....

BT Openreach talks big investment.
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/05/bt-invest-12bn-on-fttp-broadband-for-20-million-uk-premises.html

FTTP for 20M premises by late 2020’s
    (Copper based G-Fast being terminated)

Stats indicate 27M households and 2.7M businesses in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'm not in the NBP because,I'm in a blue area anomalously created across country from a cabinet 2 miles away with no poles or lines to me and no other house to serve out this way

2 emails replied with the same answer 'you are covered by commercial operators
    Eir and others have refused '

T.d's getting same answer from the department
    The new nbi lines will be passing my entrance
    Explained all that to the department
    Included maps

Are they thick ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Same boat as you Mortelaro but even worse I'm actually in a town. Fibre cabinets all around me but the 6 houses in my row are on an old line that circles half the town before going back to the exchange.

"you are covered by commercial operators" = tough **** paddy.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'm not in the NBP because,I'm in a blue area anomalously created across country from a cabinet 2 miles away with no poles or lines to me and no other house to serve out this way

2 emails replied with the same answer 'you are covered by commercial operators
    Eir and others have refused '

T.d's getting same answer from the department
    The new nbi lines will be passing my entrance
    Explained all that to the department
    Included maps

Are they thick ???

I presume you've tried most of the following.
    1. The other map with the red bits.
    2. Log your eircode at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie and nbpmapping@dccae.gov.ie
    3. Email some other likely candidates here (Program CTO looks good)
    4. Contacted your local broadband officer.
    5. Enquire which commercial operators say they provide coverage.
    6. FOI/AIE request to find out which commercial operators say they provide coverage to your eircode.
    7. Possibly a Subject Access Request under GDPR to Department re: your eircode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Same boat as you Mortelaro but even worse I'm actually in a town. Fibre cabinets all around me but the 6 houses in my row are on an old line that circles half the town before going back to the exchange.

Is the town larger than 1000 premises ?

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭heavydawson

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/national-broadband-plan-to-be-completed-ahead-of-schedule-and-under-budget-998059.html
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/national-broadband-plan-will-ahead-time-budget-ceo-1011141

The full interview will air this Saturday at 5.00pm on Tech Talk and podcast from Friday at noon.

The roll-out of the national broadband plan will be completed ahead of time and under budget.

Work on the controversial €2.9bn project is continuing despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

The aim is to eventually connect over 500,000 homes, schools, businesses and farms that currently are not served by commercial operators.

Speaking exclusively to Newstalk, CEO of National Broadband Ireland Peter Hendrick says progress is being made.

"We are confident that the project can be delivered - what I would say - under budget and certainly earlier than we have committed.

"So that's our entire focus: let's get this done as fast as possible for the best value possible.

"And that's what our team our focused on.

"In the year to date we've designed 17,000 premises across multiple counties - Cork, Limerick, Galway, Cavan.

"And this month we're moving into Roscommon.

"So you can see things are starting to progress, and [we] hope to have homes connected certainly within this year".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Nothing concrete here, but it makes happy reading. It would be nice to see some actual connections by the end of this year.

National Broadband Plan to be completed ahead of schedule and 'under budget'

Excerpt from the interview on Newstalk.

Also, seems heavydawson got in just before me.

ewj1978 wrote: »

Where do you go to check this, just to be sure?

Im also in a town that has "fibre" but each individual house in my estate is amber colour according to one of the maps I looked at.
    clohamon wrote: »
    I presume you've tried most of the following.
    1. The other map with the red bits.
    2. Log your eircode at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie and nbpmapping@dccae.gov.ie
    3. Email some other likely candidates here (Program CTO looks good)
    4. Contacted your local broadband officer.
    5. Enquire which commercial operators say they provide coverage.
    6. FOI/AIE request to find out which commercial operators say they provide coverage to your eircode.
    7. Possibly a Subject Access Request under GDPR to Department re: your eircode.

What does the first map mean? My house is covered with a red blob and I cant find the key for the red? Please tell me the red blob is a good sign.

https://imgur.com/a/PM9KDIt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

The roll-out of the national broadband plan will be completed ahead of time and under budget.

Making a statement like that at the planning stages of a multi year project sounds like total spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I’m fully convinced Eirs ignorance to Rochestown is pure laziness honestly. Plenty of houses up here and zero reason to suggest its not “commercially viable”.

Same in my locality - its pretty much the same as Rochestown (in a blue area but all the houses are not considered commercially viable!? 97 houses that could have high speed broadband would jump on that instantly

I have seen workmen laying cable in the last week or so and they even dug up a part of the road that had a manhole cover previously tarmacadamed over.

joe123 wrote: »
    Where do you go to check this, just to be sure?

The department's official map is here.
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx
    What does the first map mean? My house is covered with a red blob and I cant find the key for the red? Please tell me the red blob is a good sign.

https://imgur.com/a/PM9KDIt

If your house is amber or in an amber area then you're in the NBP. However if you're in an urban area it seems likely that Eircom, SIRO or VM will cover these amber spots over time anyway.

The blue areas represent not only current deployment but also 'credible plans'. The department has allowed 7 years for these plans to materialise (ie the length of the NBP intervention roll-out). So even though some eircodes are blue, the service might not be available until 2027. It's also important to note that blue areas are mostly CSO settlement boundaries and not necessarily deployment maps supplied by the providers.

The red blobs represent unresolved eircodes that could not be associated with any provider by the Department. That might be just bad record keeping by the provider and they actually do provide a service. The obvious ones to ask are Eircom, SIRO, (or their retailers) and VM.

The Department might not tell you which provider has claimed to have plans for service at a given eircode as they might say that it's commercially sensitive information. However there's no harm in asking - under FOI, AIE, or GDPR, if necessary.

It is very unsatisfactory for those affected as they don't know what date between now and 2027 that they will receive a service or from whom. If the operator fails to deliver, the premises only becomes the responsibility of the NBP at the end of the seven years or close to it.

clohamon wrote: »
    The department's official map is here.
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

If your house is amber or in an amber area then you're in the NBP. However if you're in an urban area it seems likely that Eircom, SIRO or VM will cover these amber spots over time anyway.

The blue areas represent not only current deployment but also 'credible plans'. The department has allowed 7 years for these plans to materialise (ie the length of the NBP intervention roll-out). So even though some eircodes are blue, the service might not be available until 2027. It's also important to note that blue areas are mostly CSO settlement boundaries and not necessarily deployment maps supplied by the providers.

The red blobs represent unresolved eircodes that could not be associated with any provider by the Department. That might be just bad record keeping by the provider and they actually do provide a service. The obvious ones to ask are Eircom, SIRO, (or their retailers) and VM.

The Department might not tell you which provider has claimed to have plans for service at a given eircode as they might say that it's commercially sensitive information. However there's no harm in asking - under FOI, AIE, or GDPR, if necessary.

It is very unsatisfactory for those affected as they don't know what date between now and 2027 that they will receive a service or from whom. If the operator fails to deliver, the premises only becomes the responsibility of the NBP at the end of the seven years or close to it.

On the official map, its showing as the amber dot. On the other map you linked previously, it shows as a red blob. Should point out I current am connected to ADSL with vodafone getting a massive 12Mb DL 0.6 Up.

On the official map, its showing as the amber dot. On the other map you linked previously, it shows as a red blob. Should point out I current am connected to ADSL with vodafone getting a massive 12Mb DL 0.6 Up.

You are in the NBP. However one of the other providers might get to you with FTTP before National Broadband Ireland. Check if you're on the Eircom or SIRO urban FTTP roll-outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Nothing concrete here, but it makes happy reading. It would be nice to see some actual connections by the end of this year.

National Broadband Plan to be completed ahead of schedule and 'under budget'

Excerpt from the interview on Newstalk.

Also, seems heavydawson got in just before me.

Very frustrating that Jess Kelly still doesn't knock the 5G making the NBP obsolete argument on the head - not sure she gets the tech at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

You might have already checked your Eircode in here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/can-i-get-eir-fibre-broadband/

I have checked all other relevant maps and they show that a property I might be moving to soon now has high speed broadband available (it's rural but only a few miles outside of the nearest town), there's a live cabinet out a mile away. I then went onto the regular eir webpage to check also and it provided me with a list of plans I could get. So I hope I can get it, I might see if I can somehow contact someone in a neighbouring house to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Orebro wrote: »
    Very frustrating that Jess Kelly still doesn't knock the 5G making the NBP obsolete argument on the head - not sure she gets the tech at all really.

This 5G nonsense is still coming from Ivan Yates if you listen to the excerpt from his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

The Cush wrote: »
    This 5G nonsense is still coming from Ivan Yates if you listen to the excerpt from his show.

Agreed, but she keeps failing to debunk it being a viable alternative to the NBP which is very frustrating to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Agreed, but she keeps failing to debunk it being a viable alternative to the NBP which is very frustrating to listen to.

I honestly find it amazing that Jess Kelly has made a career from been a "tech expert", I've listened to her on and off over the years. She really hasn't a clue beyond reviewing this years latest smartphone.

She really hasn't a clue beyond reviewing this years latest smartphone.

Which is all the great unwashed are interested in, tbf.

Adrian Weckler is pretty well clued in imo, but his twitter is mainly fluff about how good the new iPhone camera is.

The sad reality is that in-depth, analytical critique of tech has a limited audience. And those who are interested wouldn't bother listening to someone like a NT 'tech expert', whoever it may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Article in today's SBP.
    NBI to slash service providers’ broadband connection fees

Company in charge of state’s network rollout plans to stimulate demand by reducing sign-up costs

National Broadband Ireland is planning to heavily discount connection fees to encourage internet providers and customers onto its new network, the Business Post has learned.

NBI, headed by David McCourt, the US businessman, was last year awarded the contract for the state's multi-billion National Broadband Plan which aims to deliver high-speed broadband to about 540,000 homes and businesses across rural Ireland.

https://www.businesspost.ie/telecoms/nbi-to-slash-service-providers-broadband-connection-fees-748425da

NBI, in an industry presentation in March, said they plan to have passed 115,000 premises by the end of 2021 and a further 90,000 by the end of 2022.

They also detailed a series of proposed promotional incentives to stimulate demand in the first 2 years of rollout.
    These include heavy discounts, and in some cases a full waiving, of the standard €100 connection fee charged to retail service providers (RSP).

Within a designated pre-order window, RSPs would not be charged any fee for connecting to the NBI network. If a pre-order is cancelled, a €2.50 fee would be applied.

It is up to the broadband service provider to decide whether it wishes to pass any discounts on to its customers, the ultimate end-users in homes and businesses across the country. outside of the pre-order window, the standard €100 charge would apply.

"NBI are exploring promotional offers to incentivise early connections to the NBI network, and this is one such potential offer," a spokeswoman said.

Similarly, if a technician is required to complete a reconnection to the network, the standard €100 fee will be charged.

If, however, the customer can be reconnected to the network without the need for a technician to visit the site, the fee will again be entirely waived under proposals being considered by NBI.

A customer may be reconnected if they are changing from one retail service provider to another or if they previously had a connection which had been discontinued.

A €2.50 charge will also be levied in instances where network speeds are being upgraded, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've said that to myself before when she didn't have a clue what she was talking about, when she was discussing VPNs

Which is all the great unwashed are interested in, tbf.

Adrian Weckler is pretty well clued in imo, but his twitter is mainly fluff about how good the new iPhone camera is.

IrelandOffline’s fearless chairman once started a thread entitled “Tech journos are clueless

……..the thread bumbled on and Weckler himself joined in (Lebow). There wasn't much of a meeting of minds on the thread, but in the midst of it Weckler went public on twitter. This was considered foul play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

His research is often lacking. Critical comments of his work obviously don't go down well.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement