Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people becoming less attractive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Tig98 wrote: »
    I'd say average height has increased too though

My brother claimed 6” was the new average. Wasn’t an attempt to belittle at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Which is why I said it seems like....

And no. I traveled around Ireland a fair bit visiting friends and family when I returned... and there was a certain trend of being quite overweight all around.

Perhaps it's just that I spend most of my time in Asia, where such is less common. For you, it's simply the normal state of Ireland, and it would take someone to be massive for you to notice. :D
    Fair point. Although there is a difference between a woman with a big ass and a big ass woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Bobblehats wrote: »
    My brother claimed 6” was the new average. Wasn’t an attempt to belittle at all
    This is interesting as many people believe young people are actually shorter than the previous generation

Fair point. Although there is a difference between a woman with a big ass and a big ass woman.

Having a big fat ass is not attractive - where did this recent meme that having a fat ass is attractive come from?

Having a big fat ass is not attractive - where did this recent meme that having a fat ass is attractive come from?
    I said big ass, not big fat ass. Some gym goers are very fit and toned but have a nice big bum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Fat people tend to look younger as they have plenty of collogen in their faces. You can see that many of them turn rotten looking when they lose the few pounds. Often it's better to keep the weight if you're a bit older and bring additional emphasis to your face, or your lips and breasts if you are a woman. Signal that you're down for the dirty and keep those chubby cheeks girls.

I’m sure that comment applies to men also?

I said big ass, not big fat ass. Some gym goers are very fit and toned but have a nice big bum.

Sorry, big asses even. Did this come in during the kardashian obsessed era? Slim was always the better choice, surely?

Sorry, big asses even. Did this come in during the kardashian obsessed era? Slim was always the better choice, surely?
    Kim Kardashian is too much. I was thinking more along the lines of J-Lo or Salma Hayek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

You people are confusing "fat" and "phat"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

That seems like a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think every third person is overweight, never mind heavily overweight. You must be in the fattest town in Ireland.

The World Health Organization says 60.6% of Irish adults were overweight in 2016. It was 33.8% in 1975.

https://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/overweight/en/

In terms of obesity, it was 25.3% in 2016 and 6.4% in 1975.

https://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/overweight_obesity/obesity_adults/en/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The longer I go without it the more attractive people seem .
    :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I’m sure that comment applies to men also?
    Men likely stay better looking if they remain thinner. Joke is in Ireland more men are obese than women. I certainly know more blokes who are overweight or obese than I know women, across age groups too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's far more availability of highly addictive foods nowadays, in which have a calming effect on the human brain, unfortunately this has a major negative effect on our health

This is very true. A lot of people cope with mental illness now through over-eating and comfort eating. One of the symptoms of depression is known to be an “unnatural hunger” where you feel starving, even when you shouldn’t be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Well, I've been trying the internet dating over the covid season and IMO all the wimmin are more attractive now. I'm sure there's some filter magic going on with some of the photos but they all seem to be into fitness or are outdoors types. Perfect teeth as far as the eye can see. Teeth have definitely improved in the last 20 years.

Ahh yes, because Irish people turned obese during the Troubles... or the periods of unemployment before we got hit by the various recessions?

I find people are very quick to find excuses for those who become very heavy. Being obese should be the same as becoming a heavy smoker, or an alcoholic (as a smoker, that seems to be the attitude of many towards that habit. No sympathy or patience allowed)

Aren't they all 'diseases' now?

764dak wrote: »
    The World Health Organization says 60.6% of Irish adults were overweight in 2016. It was 33.8% in 1975.

https://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/overweight/en/

In terms of obesity, it was 25.3% in 2016 and 6.4% in 1975.

https://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/overweight_obesity/obesity_adults/en/

****, that's bad alright but at the same time, it makes me normal so yippee for me

Ahh yes, because Irish people turned obese during the Troubles... or the periods of unemployment before we got hit by the various recessions?

I find people are very quick to find excuses for those who become very heavy. Being obese should be the same as becoming a heavy smoker, or an alcoholic (as a smoker, that seems to be the attitude of many towards that habit. No sympathy or patience allowed)

Well. For alcoholism and nicotine addiction there can be complex factors at play, obesity also.

There are a myriad of reasons why a person is obese and one of those reasons is mental illness. It is ignorant and heartless to decide that no patience or sympathy should be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I need to lose a bit of weight for sure. Women have us men beaten in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I am not pleasant to view

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you are carrying a bit of extra weight it's important you dress to suit it.
    I've might be a bit chunky with short legs. Very tight jeans, with loads of slits and holes showing off my pasty skin isn't going to do me any favors.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Well, I've been trying the internet dating over the covid season and IMO all the wimmin are more attractive now. I'm sure there's some filter magic going on with some of the photos but they all seem to be into fitness or are outdoors types. Perfect teeth as far as the eye can see. Teeth have definitely improved in the last 20 years.
    Yeah I've been on Bumble for the last few months and the majority of the women on it seem to be into gym and sports. I know its kind of a generic thing to put on a profile but there are certainly no shortage of fit attractive women on it. You're right about the teeth too. Definitely a big improvement there.

Well. For alcoholism and nicotine addiction there can be complex factors at play, obesity also.

There are a myriad of reasons why a person is obese and one of those reasons is mental illness. It is ignorant and heartless to decide that no patience or sympathy should be given.

Ahh well, I'm a smoker (for 30 years), and I find there's very little tolerance about it these days. I understand how difficult it is to stop, just as I understand the various pressure that comes from many directions telling us to stop. Have you seen the cost of tobacco in this country? It's pure nasty.

My point being that obesity should be considered in the same manner as smoking. Sympathy given for the difficulties involved, but at the same time, pressure on people not to become that way in the first place, or encouragement to change/stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

At the beach recently and couldnt see any good lookers in swimsuits. Just fat people. I remember the 90s and people were alot nicer on the eye..

Are we doomed?

No, it was only fat f*cks and gobsh1tes that went to the beach during pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

At the beach recently and couldnt see any good lookers in swimsuits. Just fat people. I remember the 90s and people were alot nicer on the eye..

Are we doomed?

So fat peope are hard on your auld eyes, what about people with massive noses or dropey eyes or even crossed-eyed folk. Or maybe massive ears or tiny ears. Maybe people with tiny mouths or twisted mouths or crooked necks? So when does your auld eyes get to see what it wants.
    Maybe perfection for you Is when you look in the mirror? Then again I wonder OP when people look at youyoudo do they say 'the state of that auld pervo looking at all the girls on the beach'.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

I would say overall that Irish men and women are both more attractive now than they were years ago. Everyone is at the gym these days, dressing well, obsessing over their appearance I would say.

The young men and women these days are too image conscience in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Kylta wrote: »
    So fat peope are hard on your auld eyes, what about people with massive noses or dropey eyes or even crossed-eyed folk. Or maybe massive ears or tiny ears. Maybe people with tiny mouths or twisted mouths or crooked necks? So when does your auld eyes get to see what it wants.
    Maybe perfection for you Is when you look in the mirror? Then again I wonder OP when people look at youyoudo do they say 'the state of that auld pervo looking at all the girls on the beach'.

You are right some what in I'm sadly a bit pervy. but mouths and noses haven't changed. People's sizes have.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

stoneill wrote: »
    No, it was only fat f*cks and gobsh1tes that went to the beach during pandemic.

Are fat people at much higher risk with the virus? Genuine question as deaths reporting doesn't mention weight of victims

All the lookers were in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

It's the older women who can grow a better mustache than you that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Advertisement