Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people becoming less attractive

Options

Comments

It seems like most of my female co- workers are quite obese and always trying new trendy diets. I have the feeling that obesity has something to do with this! I have two kids and I’m thinner than I’ve ever been in size 6 just because I eat as healthy as possible and I exercise a little. I keep telling them that losing weight is all about creating good habits you can stick to but it seems like everyone is looking for a quick and easy way to lose weight so they try detox pills and shakes and keto diets etc, lose 10 pounds in 3 days and then gain 20 over and over again. It’s the media, I’m telling ya! Too many ads for “easy fixes” and sugary treats

I have to admit I was rather shocked when I came home this year. I'd been outside the country for the last two years, and while, Irish people were often 'slightly' overweight, they weren't exactly fat. (I could always appreciate the "big boned" comment for many Irish people) However, now, it seems like every third person is heavily overweight, a lot of them being women in their 30s/40s.

I dunno. I see many people out running, who are obviously overweight. Fair play to them trying to do something about it. On the other hand though, there seems to be a lot of people who have either given up, or don't care. I've seen the ads or references to "big is beautiful" and heard in conversations about fat shaming being a terrible thing to do... but seriously? Do Irish people really want to look like obese Americans? Just seems bizarre to me (I'm very skinny naturally, and have never been able to gain any substantial weight (even in my 40s), so this is all very alien to me personally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

As you get older obviously people around the same age are going to start losing their attractiveness.

I still see a few fit grannies that I would certainly do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sure i'm gone downhill every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

Very good looking women hit their peak and plateau for up to ten years at 35. Most of the girls I went to school with were ugly as sin, but the one or two that were good looking have really blossomed in their late 30s. Ripe for the plucking and down for a..
    Their marriages are often going sour at that stage too so you can move in for the kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Very good looking women hit their peak and plateau for up to ten years at 35. Most of the girls I went to school with were ugly as sin, but the one or two that were good looking have really blossomed in their late 30s. Ripe for the plucking and down for a..
    Their marriages are often going sour at that stage too so you can move in for the kill.

Username strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

No idea. Everyone's wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Other people become less attractive as you older and are less influenced by someone simply by blonde hair and/or massive tits. Plus alot more people are obese now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Once there happy to get bruises on their knees I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Koolguy

I can only speak for myself

I'm becoming more attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Obesity is a big problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Obesity is a big problem...

Acceptance of obesity is a bigger problem

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I have to admit I was rather shocked when I came home this year. I'd been outside the country for the last two years, and while, Irish people were often 'slightly' overweight, they weren't exactly fat. (I could always appreciate the "big boned" comment for many Irish people) However, now, it seems like every third person is heavily overweight, a lot of them being women in their 30s/40s.

I dunno. I see many people out running, who are obviously overweight. Fair play to them trying to do something about it. On the other hand though, there seems to be a lot of people who have either given up, or don't care. I've seen the ads or references to "big is beautiful" and heard in conversations about fat shaming being a terrible thing to do... but seriously? Do Irish people really want to look like obese Americans? Just seems bizarre to me (I'm very skinny naturally, and have never been able to gain any substantial weight (even in my 40s), so this is all very alien to me personally)

Best post. Sums it up better than I could

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

lickalot wrote: »
    Once there happy to get bruises on their knees I'm happy.

With that username, sounds like you are getting bruised knees too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Increasing stress levels has a lot to do with increasing levels of obesity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

At the beach recently and couldnt see any good lookers in swimsuits. Just fat people. I remember the 90s and people were alot nicer on the eye..

Are we doomed?

Might be your age OP, try HRT 😊

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Increasing stress levels has a lot to do with increasing levels of obesity

Ahh yes, because Irish people turned obese during the Troubles... or the periods of unemployment before we got hit by the various recessions?

I find people are very quick to find excuses for those who become very heavy. Being obese should be the same as becoming a heavy smoker, or an alcoholic (as a smoker, that seems to be the attitude of many towards that habit. No sympathy or patience allowed)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ahh yes, because Irish people turned obese during the Troubles... or the periods of unemployment before we got hit by the various recessions?

There's far more availability of highly addictive foods nowadays, in which have a calming effect on the human brain, unfortunately this has a major negative effect on our health

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's far more availability of highly addictive foods nowadays, in which have a calming effect on the human brain, unfortunately this has a major negative effect on our health

Ok.. that's one I can accept... :D TBF Governments have made a big deal about educating and providing a safer life for people, but then, do nothing about these foods (especially the cheap stuff). Oh sure, they'll do a sugar tax but not actually ban the products that cause the damage.

Two of the most beautiful women I ever met in my life were balloons. Extraordinarily obese but stunning faces. If I could go back in time I would take the plunge. I was too shy but they were very flirtatious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Two of the most beautiful women I ever met in my life were balloons. Extraordinarily obese but stunning faces. If I could go back in time I would take the plunge. I was too shy but they were very flirtatious.

After the glue thing I'd take your credibily with a pinch of salt, are you related to fig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Some are for sure. I think there's more extremes out there now.

There's more people into the fitness now, but on the other hand it's shocking the amount of truly obese people around these days.

There are plenty of people wearing "active wear" who never break a sweat and could do with shedding a few kilos. Compared to 20 or 30 years there are a lot more women who are overweight, more so than guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

At the beach recently and couldnt see any good lookers in swimsuits. Just fat people. I remember the 90s and people were alot nicer on the eye..

Are we doomed?

I was down on Dollymount strand recently and went home with the proverbial horn on me.

There were plenty of fine things there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

That seems like a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think every third person is overweight, never mind heavily overweight. You must be in the fattest town in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Online dating is so sterile imo. To me, it is a last resort. The way I look at it, easy come easy go.

It depends. You can waste so much time on online dating.

However many people do meet someone who they end up with.

If you're passed the nightclub age there aren't a whole ton of options. I don't think toastmasters, joining a hill walking club are great either. Blind dates can be embarrassing when they don't work out and you have to meet those who set you up!

Kylta wrote: »
    After the glue thing I'd take your credibily with a pinch of salt, are you related to fig?

Do you honestly think that either myself or anyone else cares whether you believe me or not?

I once saw two two-ton stunners. They were big girls with beautiful faces. Lots of marbling on the lions but extremely attractive skull-fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Do you honestly think that either myself or anyone else cares whether you believe me or not?

I once saw two two-ton stunners. They were big girls with beautiful faces. Lots of marbling on the lions but extremely attractive skull-fronts.

So you are related to fig then?

That seems like a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think every third person is overweight, never mind heavily overweight. You must be in the fattest town in Ireland.

Which is why I said it seems like....

And no. I traveled around Ireland a fair bit visiting friends and family when I returned... and there was a certain trend of being quite overweight all around.

Perhaps it's just that I spend most of my time in Asia, where such is less common. For you, it's simply the normal state of Ireland, and it would take someone to be massive for you to notice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think some of the current fashion trends are making people looking good to be honest but that's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Are we doomed?

There’ll be no-one at the beach today it’s blowin up a dwight gayle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

It's true, people are on average a stone or two heavier than they were back in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

Maybe fast food plays a part in it? There are still lovely good looking people around though :)

I'd say average height has increased too though

Just try walking through an old house without clubbing your head off the door frames..

Advertisement