Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I dunno I'm still a bit sceptical about seeing him in an Ulster jersey.

When deals are set up as so different like his one they don't always work out in the end.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that he will be anything other than an Ulster player come next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I dunno I'm still a bit sceptical about seeing him in an Ulster jersey.

When deals are set up as so different like his one they don't always work out in the end.

What's different about his deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah I'm not sure if the Wasps signing was ever completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Zzippy wrote: »
    What's different about his deal?

He's in New Zealand now, will be playing somewhere else this season and then goes to Ulster. Lots of scope for things to change.

He's in New Zealand now, will be playing somewhere else this season and then goes to Ulster. Lots of scope for things to change.

You could say about any deal signed in advance. Other than internet speculation like above there is nothing whatsoever to suggest Piatau will be anything but an Ulster player next season.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    You could say about any deal signed in advance. Other than internet speculation like above there is nothing whatsoever to suggest Piatau will be anything but an Ulster player next season.

How many other deals have been signed 18 months in advance? I can't remember any other deals like that.

How many other deals have been signed 18 months in advance? I can't remember any other deals like that.

Plenty of deals are signed 9 and 10 months in advance. When did Sexton sign his IRFU contract last year? Wasn't it in September or October or something? We are practically at that stage now, he may have signed the deal some time ago but given there are 10 months until he comes here why should something go wrong?

Plenty of deals are signed 9 and 10 months in advance. When did Sexton sign his IRFU contract last year? Wasn't it in September or October or something? We are practically at that stage now, he may have signed the deal some time ago but given there are 10 months until he comes here why should something go wrong?

The Sexton deal was the earliest I can really remember in Irish rugby and even that was about half the length of time before this deal.

Anything can happen in 18 months. He could get severely injured. It could be even more bizarre than that, situations could change at home, he might impregnate some local. Who knows. 18 months is a very long time in rugby. Players and situations can change entirely in that amount of time, look at Will Genia.

I'm not saying anything will happen. I'm just saying skepticism is completely justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Sexton deal was the earliest I can really remember in Irish rugby and even that was about half the length of time before this deal.

Anything can happen in 18 months. He could get severely injured. It could be even more bizarre than that, situations could change at home, he might impregnate some local. Who knows. 18 months is a very long time in rugby. Players and situations can change entirely in that amount of time, look at Will Genia.

I'm not saying anything will happen. I'm just saying skepticism is completely justified.

Anything can happen in a split second. It doesn't take 18 months for a player to sustain an injury - just one second. He could be injured tying his shoe laces. He could have a car accident. His wife could fall for the milkman. He might decide to become a monk ffs. What a load of piffle about a contract. Completely unjustified claptrap.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Anything can happen in a split second. It doesn't take 18 months for a player to sustain an injury - just one second. He could be injured tying his shoe laces. He could have a car accident. His wife could fall for the milkman. He might decide to become a monk ffs. What a load of piffle about a contract. Completely unjustified claptrap.

Strange point. A lot of seconds elapse in 18 months, if he's going to injure himself tying his shoe laces then he'll tie his shoes a lot more times over the extra season in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think it is piffle, I mean who's Piutau going to play for this season?

I did a search on Wasps website for his name and got 0 results and I don't remember anything official that he was signing a one year deal for them. I could be wrong of course.

His contract with Ulster starts on 1st July 2016 so that puts him signing for a different Super team after the Blues were blocked from signing him for the 2016 season
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/68707310/Charles-Piutau-blocked-from-Blues-next-year-to-avoid-dangerous-precedent-issue

Is his contract good enough from Ulster to let him not earn money this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Wasps this season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Has that been confirmed anywhere?

I heard the rumour but don't remember Wasps or Piutau confirming it.

Wasps did sign Frank Halai which may be confusing people.

Has that been confirmed anywhere?

I heard the rumour but don't remember Wasps or Piutau confirming it.

Wasps did sign Frank Halai which may be confusing people.

Don't think it is confirmed. It has been rumoured alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Havent seen anything confirmed but the source is very reliable.

I heard from a local in the know here* that it was a done deal ages back but it was never confirmed officially.

*Here being where Wasps used to live before they shipped up to tropical Coventry.

Ulster already have special dispensation for an extra NIQ player this season, don't think they'd get two extra spots!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster already have special dispensation for an extra NIQ player this season, don't think they'd get two extra spots!

I agree although in mitigation, the extra contract was agreed before they changed the rules on NIQ/Es.

So now we know what we have available to us for the next 8 weeks or so.

FB - Ludik, Gilroy, Nelson
    Wings - Trimble, Gilroy, Scholes, Nelson, Stockdale
    Centres - Marshall, McCloskey, Arnold, Ludik, Stockdale
    Out Halves - Humphreys, Windsor
    Scrum Halves - Marshall, Rowley, Shanahan

Props - Black, Herbst, Warwick, Lutton, Ross, Murphy, McCall
    Hookers - Herring, Andrew, Jackson
    Locks - Van Der Merwe, Tuohy, O'Connor, Browne
    Back Row - Diack, Faloon, Ross, Reidy, Williams, Wilson, Browne, Joyce, Taggart

Some good, some bad. You can pick a decent 1st XV out of that. Some dodgy depth beneath it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

So now we know what we have available to us for the next 8 weeks or so.

FB - Ludik, Gilroy, Nelson
    Wings - Trimble, Gilroy, Scholes, Nelson, Stockdale
    Centres - Marshall, McCloskey, Arnold, Ludik, Stockdale
    Out Halves - Humphreys, Windsor
    Scrum Halves - Marshall, Rowley, Shanahan

Props - Black, Herbst, Warwick, Lutton, Ross, Murphy, McCall
    Hookers - Herring, Andrew, Jackson
    Locks - Van Der Merwe, Tuohy, O'Connor, Browne
    Back Row - Diack, Faloon, Ross, Reidy, Williams, Wilson, Browne, Joyce, Taggart

Some good, some bad. You can pick a decent 1st XV out of that. Some dodgy depth beneath it though.

The very bad is that we are one or 2 injuries away from having to field an AIL standard back row.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster team & replacements to play Ospreys, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Friday 3rd September (19:35 kick off):
    (15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, L Marshall, S McCloskey, C Gilroy, P Nelson, P Marshall; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring (Captain), W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, R Wilson, W Faloon, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, R Lutton, B Ross, P Browne, C Ross, S Reidy, D Shanahan, S Arnold.

Trimble starts.

Nelson at 10. No 10 cover on the bench. Oh dear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Marshall is your 10 cover I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

An exciting enough 11-15. I just hope our half backs can get the ball to them.
    Am i right to think Nelson has played 10 at no higher than AIL?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

1-8 is good enough. 11-15 is very good.

9 and 10 the obvious weak spot.

Bench is worth fcuk all, Arnold aside. Where is Alan O'Connor? And Diack.

It is what it is at 10, we are down to our 4th choice out half, it's just the way it is.

I like the rest of the team though, Paul Marshall needs a big game though.

The bench isn't very experienced though.

Looking forward to the new season!

postitnote wrote: »

Probably, unless he has played there for the Ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I would have thought Ludik would be an able 10 myself. Good passer and kicker and has experience of playing at a high level for a long time. Ulster pack us good but can't see them beating up that ospreys pack to compensate for the half backs....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

postitnote wrote: »
    An exciting enough 11-15. I just hope our half backs can get the ball to them.

Nelson played full back for Dungannon. Never togged out at 10 as far as I know. Shows ulster's strength in depth that he's covering 10 despite little or no experience playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

I take it Sean O'Hagan has left the academy

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Nelson played full back for Dungannon. Never togged out at 10 as far as I know. Shows ulster's strength in depth that he's covering 10 despite little or no experience playing there.

Personally I'd have played Luke at 10 and brought young Arnold into the midfield. Marshall has definitely got experience at 10 for Ballymena.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement