Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

alfa beta wrote: »
    Peugeot 504 (new)
    Volkswagen Squareback
    Mercedes 190
    Morris Eight
    MG midget
    mid-80's Daihatsu van
    Ford 3000 tractor
    2 MZ motorbikes (new)
    Honda CX650 custom
    Harley Davidson Sportster
    Triumph Cub
    2 x Honda 50s
    Zetor 2511 tractor
    Feguson Tractor
    Kawasaki 250 ninja
    + 1950s Adler and BMW motorbikes in bits.
    Oh and a couple of boats!!

He was some man for keeping stuff!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

Jaysus, I'm 65, I wont live long enough to se the end of this thread with all these collectibles:D:D

But I'll hang on as best as I can....as the saying goes, I'll live as long as i can, and i will die when I cant help it:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Is the Ferguson a 35 goldbelly by any chance? Most likely a T20, but you never know....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Anyone fancy a mid-eighties 850cc Daihatsu van btw .... it's sneaking into the background below lol

I had one of them back in the day ('85). Surprisingly nippy little thing. Very little in front of the driver except a dashboard and the front panel :eek:

Peugeot 504 (new)
    Volkswagen Squareback
    Mercedes 190
    Morris Eight
    MG midget
    mid-80's Daihatsu van
    Ford 3000 tractor
    2 MZ motorbikes (new)
    Honda CX650 custom
    Triumph Cub
    2 x Honda 50s
    Zetor 2511 tractor
    Feguson Tractor
    Kawasaki 250 ninja

Jesus, I've known strippers that teased less/revealed quicker than you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Peugeot 504 (new)
    Volkswagen Squareback
    Mercedes 190
    Morris Eight
    MG midget
    mid-80's Daihatsu van
    Ford 3000 tractor
    2 MZ motorbikes (new)
    Honda CX650 custom
    Triumph Cub
    2 x Honda 50s
    Zetor 2511 tractor
    Feguson Tractor
    Kawasaki 250 ninja

Awesome, some man for collecting stuff I'd say, it's a great varied mix, he must have enjoyed having them all, not everyone needs to drive a vehicle to enjoy it. I'd love the Morris 8 and the Zetor if you ever did decide to sell a few of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Peugeot 504 (new)
    Volkswagen Squareback
    Mercedes 190
    Morris Eight
    MG midget
    mid-80's Daihatsu van
    Ford 3000 tractor
    2 MZ motorbikes (new)
    Honda CX650 custom
    Triumph Cub
    2 x Honda 50s
    Zetor 2511 tractor
    Feguson Tractor
    Kawasaki 250 ninja

Crumbs - lots of eminently rebuildable stuff in that list ! When you get to the point that you can, post up details of what the bikes are like and what you plan to do with them).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Daihastu seems to be a S70 Hijet (1981-1985 ish?)

Cool little sliced pan

We used to call then batch loafs:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Type 17 wrote: »
    On Google Street View, if you go back to 2011, the Jetta is still there, and he(?) is at the door with a keg on a hand-truck!

Maybe my guestimation of when he changed his car is a little off. Can’t have been long before then.
    Btw, how do you time travel in street view?

iamtony wrote: »
    We used to call then batch loafs:pac:

Nah, they were shaped like a hovis loaf.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

scudster wrote: »
    Maybe my guestimation of when he changed his car is a little off. Can’t have been long before then.
    Btw, how do you time travel in street view?

There's a wee clock icon in the top left of the viewer. For more frequently photographed places it may have quite a few snapshots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I'd say the tractor is ferguson grey ass or 135.

I'v rode Honda cx500/ cx 500 custom and cx650 turbo.

Also the kawasaki ninja 250 of the time.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I'd say the tractor is ferguson grey ass or 135.

I'v rode Honda cx500/ cx 500 custom and cx650 turbo.

Also the kawasaki ninja 250 of the time.

Can't be a 135 if it's a Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Any chance of a pic of the Tiger Cub? Myself and the father had several pass through our hands during the 80's, they've all but disappeared now. Some we had were in surprisingly good condition. I recently had a clear out of his stuff since he died and there was a lot of cub parts, clutches, oil pumps, alternators, a matching square barrel and head etc

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Any chance of a pic of the Tiger Cub? Myself and the father had several pass through our hands during the 80's, they've all but disappeared now. Some we had were in surprisingly good condition. I recently had a clear out of his stuff since he died and there was a lot of cub parts, clutches, oil pumps, alternators, a matching square barrel and head etc

Tricky to get at at the moment - but hopefully just enough room to take a photo - gimme the evening and I'll see if I can :-)

Sure while you're there, snap the Fergie too!

emeldc wrote: »
    I had one of them back in the day ('85). Surprisingly nippy little thing. Very little in front of the driver except a dashboard and the front panel :eek:

The best comment I heard about that van was one day when my old man dropped me off at school in it (and bearing in mind I was over 6ft) was: 'Jaysus lad, you don't really get out of that van, you take it off!!"

Sure while you're there, snap the Fergie too!

Different sheds I'm afraid, won't be near that one tonight :)

jonski wrote: »

PS: I owned a CX500 C for a few years and loved it . I don't really remember seeing the 650 version around Ireland .

the CX650 was imported from the US, so you're right, there wouldn't have been many around at all. - That was my bike actually, bought it when I was in my twenties, but of coutrse when I decided to sell it, who do you think the most interested customer was??? Yep, himself .... Seriously, not only could he not sell his own stuff, he couldn't bear his family selling their things either lol.

Testacalda wrote: »
    I'd love the Morris 8 and the Zetor if you ever did decide to sell a few of them :)

Neither I nor my mother (the official owner of everything!) have any interest in the tractors at all - just not my or her thing - so the Zetor (which is not all in one piece at the moment btw) will likely be put up for sale. Tell, you what, I'll pop a picture of it up here soon and you can have a gander at it.

As for the Morris Eight, we both sorta like that. Will probably hang onto itfor the time being. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm surprised there's no love for the Harley, what sort of condition is it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

.... Seriously, not only could he not sell his own stuff, he couldn't bear his family selling their things either lol.

Did something similar myself a few months back. The "young" lad was selling his Peugeot 205 XS and I couldnt bear to see it go, so ended up adding it to my own cache. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Like another poster I would like to see a pic of the Triumph Cub also, A Cub was my first bike, bought it off a neighbour who had issues with it while still not old enough to have a licence and got it going, as we used say back then we were insured by the Moonlight Insurance Company if it was taken for a weekend short spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Can't be a 135 if it's a Ferguson.

Could possibly be massey ferguson 135 rather than ferguson.

Like another poster I would like to see a pic of the Triumph Cub also, A Cub was my first bike, bought it off a neighbour who had issues with it while still not old enough to have a licence and got it going, as we used say back then we were insured by the Moonlight Insurance Company if it was taken for a weekend short spin.

Photos below - not sure when it was last started - don't know much about it at all I'm afraid.

IMG-5216.jpg

IMG-5215.jpg

I'm surprised there's no love for the Harley, what sort of condition is it in?

The sportster was one of his last acquisitions - it was a birthday present from the missus for his 70th. To be honest, even though he loved it he rarely rode it, as I think he began to find it a bit heavy to manage as the years advanced.

It's actually pretty much in perfect condition (and has turned a classic this year, being originally registered in 1990.) Not been started in a long time though, so brakes and clutch etc would need a look over before getting it on the road again.

Great sound from it when it does go, though personally I never really fancied the seating position when I took it out. I think it might suit s shorter person than me (which is something my old fella definitely was!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Photos below - not sure when it was last started - don't know much about it at all I'm afraid.

IMG-5216.jpg

IMG-5215.jpg

That looks to be a lovely complete bike, half enclosure, points in cover engine, even the nacelle survived, when I'm home I'll check my book to see what year LZB was, I'd say around 66 or 67... I could be a mile out too!!

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Could possibly be massey ferguson 135 rather than ferguson.

He said Ferguson. It's either a TE20 or an Fe35. Anyway, back on topic. I fcukin LOVE this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

what year LZB was, I'd say around 66 or 67..

your not far off, its early to mid 60s

Testacalda wrote: »
    your not far off, its early to mid 60s

According to Wiki:
    AZB 1 to YZB 999 (Apr 1962 – Aug 1966)

Cork Reg

• Advertisement

He said Ferguson. It's either a TE20 or an Fe35. Anyway, back on topic. I fcukin LOVE this thread.

It's the thread safe, only with something inside the safe... and a further opening into another safe :D

Advertisement