Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

alfa beta wrote: »
    Yeah - but unlike the Peugeot he wouldn't have bought these for his personal use - they'd have been bought to sell on.

He never sold them though.

He was a hoarder at heart and the words 'stock turnover' weren't really that popular in his vocabulary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Don't give up on the bikes , they're seized now ,but probably possible for them to be worked free ... And Eastern European stuff is probably relatively easy to work on...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

My first motorbike was MZ TS 125 I thought they were made in Chech Republic.

There are some fans of MZ.

It's a premixed so you take off the fuel cap and there's a sort of cup attached to it.
    This is to put two-stroke oil into. It shows how much to add per gallon of petrol.

The cable drum back brakes was not good or the electric switches on the handle bars.

If someone knows about bikes though and changes the original big end bearings it could be good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Markcheese wrote: »
    Don't give up on the bikes , they're seized now ,but probably possible for them to be worked free ... And Eastern European stuff is probably relatively easy to work on...

Easier de seizing a bike than a car. Single or twin cylinder is very
    easy to strip for a rebuild too

Lovely old bike too. I remember working on many old brit bikes down through the
    years.

You just cant beat an old classic motor, bike or car.:)

And the bikes have points rather than cdi ignition.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

thanks for that info Jeff :)

Procedure is basically the same for single cylinder, or multiple cylinders,

thanks for that info Jeff :)

No bother, if you want to know anything mechanical about the bikes just ask.
    I'v had many bikes but learned a lot by having MZ 125 first. :)

It would be a bit odd to use for someone used to bikes.

The rear side stand and left hand kick start.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jeff2 wrote: »
    If someone knows about bikes though and changes the original big end bearings it could be good.
    Why do you think the big end bearing needs to be replaced?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Fine Bone China Tea and Dinner Sets!!!

Very soon to appear on Ebay, Donedeal, Adverts, FB marketolace and wherever else I can flog the things ..... (all proceeds going to the charities the old man was involved in though) :)

Let us know when they’re up there would you?

Esel wrote: »
    Why do you think the big end bearing needs to be replaced?

They didn't use enough nickel in the original bearing. There was a shortage there at the time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

My first motorbike was MZ TS 125 I thought they were made in Chech Republic.

There are some fans of MZ.

Nah, East Germany.

CZ were Czech.

I've had a few MZs, but they were all ETZ models (125, 150, 250, 251)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'd be sticking some gear oil down the plug hole on those MZs and leaving them soak for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If you are going to try to start them, use a remote fuel tank with a premix. In the meantime take off the tank, put a drop of fresh fuel in along with a load of nuts and bolts or large gravel and shake the tank for 10 minutes minimum. This will remove rust and bits. Renew the fuel lines.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Nah, East Germany.

CZ were Czech.

I've had a few MZs, but they were all ETZ models (125, 150, 250, 251)

So, much the same at the time I guess.

Can you add to the bike conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

MZ were in a different league to CZ to be fair. Suzuki used MZ innovations to great effect in their 2-stroke racing bikes.

From the Suzuki Wikipedia page:

A large factor in Suzuki's success in two-stroke competition was the East German Grand Prix racer Ernst Degner, who defected to the West in 1961, bringing with him expertise in two-stroke engines from the East German manufacturer MZ. The secrets Degner brought with him were the work of Walter Kaaden, who combined three crucial technologies for the first time: the boost port, the expansion chamber, and the rotary valve.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MZ_Motorrad-_und_Zweiradwerk

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You should post in the motorbikes forum, OP.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=577

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

MZ bikes don't fetch alot of money, even when fully restored. A long term unused bike, even if new and never used, could potentially require engine work due to perished/hardened seals. Is there paperwork for these bikes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

More 40-year old, new, unregistered vehicles uncovered here in Alfa Beta land today!!

Not a car this time, but two MZ motorcycles a TS 150 and TS 125, both from 1980. Brand new and unused (but seized up over time - a fact you discover very quickly when you try to push the things!!)

As far as I know MZ were East German and these bikes are two-stroke. I've found an owner's club on google where I will try and get more background and hopefully establish a value for the bikes.

I've no intention of keeping these but neither have I much of an idea as to their worth. If anyone here can help with knowledge / advice that would be fab. And if you can't, well, here are some pics anyway!!

(Posting here coz I don't see a Classic Bikes sub forum on boards - and coz I got such a lovely response from everyone regarding the original post about the peugeot ( --- which btw is wrapped up again for the time being due to too much else to do in the near future!!)

Cheers,
    AB.
    20200210-115908.jpgIMG-5171.jpg

Wow, fab. Bikes are my main....'illness' and those whilst not OF huge value, certainly are collectible. If you're interested, I'm in a vintage club, and there is the IVVMCC which is a pan-ireland body for all the vintage bike clubs. There'd definately be interest there. www.ivvmcc.ie

They spend all their time on DD anyway !! :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Wow, fab. Bikes are my main....'illness' and those whilst not OF huge value, certainly are collectible. If you're interested, I'm in a vintage club, and there is the IVVMCC which is a pan-ireland body for all the vintage bike clubs. There'd definately be interest there. www.ivvmcc.ie

They spend all their time on DD anyway !! :pac:

When first sold those two MZ would be better than many bikes coming from China now IMO.

To ride the bike you would need to rebuild the engine which is easy and not costly.

The seals and bearings for engine and forks are reality cheep. Actually all bearings.

The chain guard will need to go if the bike was to be used. It will be perished and the seat cover too.

There are some people that make great seat cover replacements at a good price. Drop the seat in and it's back like new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

MZ made some good bikes. They were inexpensive and reliable transport for the masses. Having said that, back in they day, they were considered bland, not very attractive and slow when compared to the latest & greatest from Japan (and other European marques).
    Personally, I like them but they are an acquired taste to a lot of folks.

When first sold those two MZ would be better than many bikes coming from China now IMO.

To ride the bike you would need to rebuild the engine which is easy and not costly.

The seals and bearings for engine and forks are reality cheep. Actually all bearings.

The chain guard will need to go if the bike was to be used. It will be perished and the seat cover too.

There are some people that make great seat cover replacements at a good price. Drop the seat in and it's back like new.

As far as I'm aware the OP has no attachment to the bikes and is only concerned with value (to be given to charity). Would he be better off selling as is or spending time renovating and then selling (considering the lack of attachment may be too onerous). Would you put a ball park estimate on the bikes' value as is?

As far as I'm aware the OP has no attachment to the bikes and is only concerned with value (to be given to charity). Would he be better off selling as is or spending time renovating and then selling (considering the lack of attachment may be too onerous). Would you put a ball park estimate on the bikes' value as is?

True.

He would be better selling as is, as these are not going to generate
    large prices, even if they are 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

kadman wrote: »
    True.

He would be better selling as is, as these are not going to generate
    large prices, even if they are 100%.

This is what I'm thinking. But I'm finding it hard to establish a value / price. Anyone here feel brave enough to throw out any suggestions??

Basic details are:
    1. Bikes are MZ TS125 and TS150.

2. Both two-stroke, 1980, made in East Germany.
    3. Both are new, unused and unregistered. (I think there's a purchase receipt somewhere but that's all the paperwork I know of.)
    4. Keys are missing unfortunately (may turn up but unlikely)

5. Back wheel on both bikes is seized when you push them - cosmetically both are perfect - metal, seats, platsics, levers, stands etc all shipshape.

Perhaps some of you (like GalwayTT) might know people who are into vintage bikes etc and might offer a guesstimate of a fair price. Tricky I know, but any help I get in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks as always to everyone here for the pointers, comments and advice (especially consdiering these two beasts aren't exactly classic cars!!!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Have a look here https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/motorcycle/search/mz for some guidance.
    I'd say €300 - €400 as they are and probably €1200 - €1500 restored. But I could be talking bollo*ks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Don't forget it's not like they are rhd or lhd, they can be used anywhere in the world. There maybe more demand for them overseas. eBay might be the best bet for them.

They would both need recommissioning, but to what degree,

so its a how long is a piece of string question. It may or maynot need an engine overhaul.
    And so its price will be reflected in that, and basically its a non runner.

I'd say 300-500 is going to be the max for each, considering restored prices are 1500.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Could be more as new and unused, but you'd need to promote them in the right place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd say if they could be unseized easily ,
    Or even got running they'd probably make more ...

But if they're only gonna make 3 or 4 hundred each anyway ..then maybe offer them as are ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement