Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School patronage

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bullying is in every school to an extent.

It certainly seems to be the case. While I think awareness of it is better than it has been in the past I'd be interested whether the levels have changed much over the years. The whole social media thing seems to be a bit of a nightmare for educators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

AstraMonti wrote: »
    And here is a part of another enrollment document from a nearby school.

Fcuking morons, they have atheist (not a religion) and agnostic (not a religion) as well as "no religion". :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

AstraMonti wrote: »
    And here is a part of another enrollment document from a nearby school.
    While it seems intrusive, it could be useful in the same way that the census asks similar questions, and the results are useful for forward planning on a national and regional basis.

The difference being of course, that when you answer questions in the census the answers will not be held against you. Whereas if you declare your true religion (or lack of one) to a school to which you have already supplied a baptismal cert or other dubious claim for the purposes of gaining access to the school....

Separate Church And State and Education Equality are having a rally today 2-3pm outside the Dept of Education, Marlborough St.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Pity the notice was so last minute:

Separate Church And State and Education Equality are having a rally today 2-3pm outside the Dept of Education, Marlborough St.

and was there much point holding it, on a Saturday, when none of the decision-makers were going to be present?

What was the turn out like, I wonder?

Sorry I'd forgotten to post it sooner.

About 30-40 people. Speeches from Jane Donnelly (Atheist Ireland), Paddy Monaghan (Education Equality), Richard Boyd Barrett TD, Brid Smith TD, and a couple of Workers Party councillors.

Also a retired teacher who spoke powerfully about her experiences as a "closeted atheist" in a catholic national school.

Separate Church And State are planning more events, I promise to post about them more promptly in future :o

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,709 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

and was there much point holding it, on a Saturday, when none of the decision-makers were going to be present?
    The point of holding it on a Saturday would have been to facilitate attendance. The likely absence of the decision-makers on a Saturday is irrelevant; the purpose of a public demonstration is not to engage in discourse with decision-makers, but to manifest, galvanise and hopefully influence public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

I'm afraid that the particular speakers mentioned above will hardly influence much change, and gathering outside a government department with no one inside it to witness the demonstration (and lets face it holding it on a Saturday didn't exactly attract very many, in the heel of the hunt, so they might as well have gathered on a working day when there were departmental officials there to witness it - I'm sure they'd have got as many) was futile. Those speaking were merely preaching to the converted (if you'll pardon the pun).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I'm afraid that the particular speakers mentioned above will hardly influence much change, and gathering outside a government department with no one inside it to witness the demonstration (and lets face it holding it on a Saturday didn't exactly attract very many, in the heel of the hunt, so they might as well have gathered on a working day when there were departmental officials there to witness it - I'm sure they'd have got as many) was futile. Those speaking were merely preaching to the converted (if you'll pardon the pun).

well hopefully people got to talk to each other too.

• Advertisement

Lots of demonstrations involved "speaking to the converted", so to speak. One of their functions is to rally the troops, to reinforce people's existing commitment to the cause (whatever the cause) by involving them in collective action; to get people together and let them make connections. It helps to keep the movement going.

That's just one function. Another, of course, is to influence public opinion, which works better with a big demonstration than a small one, and with a demonstration in a much-frequented place, like O'Connell Street, rather than a less frequented place, like Marlborough Street. But you have to start somewhere.

But one way they vary rarely work is by having civil servants look out the window and say "Gosh! A demonstration! We'd better advise the Minister to alter his policy!". Actual lobbying through representative groups can directly influence policy; demonstrations, not so much. I wouldn't say demonstrations never influence policy, but they need to be very large, and very well-supported, to have any significant impact. And even then they work along with lobbying and policy representation, not as a substitute for it.

well known from TV, anatomist Alice Roberts as president of the Humanist society is fronting a campaign to end state funding of faith schools in the UK and is being attacked because she sends her kids to the local church of england school as she explains
    Like many non-religious parents, I had no choice - within the state system - but to send my children to a faith school. That’s the point.
    https://twitter.com/theAliceRoberts/status/1064100334753193985 https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stop-funding-faith-says-bbc-presenter-with-children-at-church-school-08xx2r7g2 a familiar tale

I hadn't heard about this but happened across the link. Scummy behaviour but it's likely that this sort of thing happens all the time.

https://extra.ie/2017/11/05/news/irish-news/nun-blocks-unmarried-mothers-promotion

A catholic nun intervened to block the leading candidate from securing the deputy principal position at a school, because the candidate had a baby outside of marriage.

It has also emerged that an interview panel at a second school run by the Catholic education trust Ceist allegedly downgraded the scores of the most eligible candidate because he was a Protestant.

As a result, the male teacher was pushed down the ranks from first place to third position and failed to get the job.

The extraordinary claims – both of which relate to incidents within the past six years – have been made by a whistleblower in an explosive protective disclosure which the Department of Education is investigating.

Scrap the cap!

It's a complete and utter disgrace that what the school is attempting to do with its admission policy is legal.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/archdeacon-banned-from-taking-part-in-services-over-comments-on-school-admissions-row-1.3720202
    Archdeacon banned from taking part in services over comments on school-admissions row

A retired Church of Ireland archdeacon has been barred from taking part in church services by the Archbishop of Dublin for six months after speaking out over a school admissions row.

Archdeacon Edgar Swann warned earlier this year that the Church of Ireland community was being “torn apart” due to controversy over school enrolment policies at a school in Greystones, Co Wicklow, which prioritised children who regularly attend church services.

His intervention followed the resignation of a long-serving principal, Eileen Jackson, at St Patrick’s National School in protest over its “parish engagement” enrolment policy.

In a letter written to the Archbishop earlier this year, Archdeacon Swann said the enrolment controversy was bringing the church into “public ridicule” and called for the school board to be dissolved.

“I have no wish to interfere in the internal matters of my old parish and school, but I find I can be silent no longer,” he wrote.

“The matter is damaging the school, which has lost excellent teachers, and it is causing a serious crisis in the parish,” he stated.

Parents at the school overwhelmingly backed a no confidence vote in its board of management earlier this year.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's a complete and utter disgrace that what the school is attempting to do with its admission policy is legal.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/archdeacon-banned-from-taking-part-in-services-over-comments-on-school-admissions-row-1.3720202

Will this ever come to a conclusion?

Aaaand soo it con-tin-ues both da-ay and night.

Your professional colleagues need to develop some backbone, because the present system which abuses kids cannot continue without your explicit or implicit consent.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the way it is. You can be part of the problem or part of the solution.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I've always thought that a huge part of the problem is how teachers, more at primary level, are educated. They've historically been utterly beholden to the religious communities even though they're paid for by the state to provide a public service.

The average Irish primary teacher went to a religious primary school, a religious secondary school, a religious teacher training college and then taught in a religious school, having to climb through layers of church bureaucracy and toe the line to ensure permanency and promotion.

They've put up with having to hide their personal lives eg a marital breakdown and divorce, being LGBT, not going to church services due to not being all that religious etc etc. and having employers that for decades had huge exemption from normal employment protections.

What did their unions do about this? Nothing. Why? Because the teachers were living in a bubble where these things are normal. If you haven't experienced a mainstream employment environment or academic environment, why would you think any of this stuff is strange or unusual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm not religious at all but having come from a minority faith i always felt there was a case to make for minority faith based schools.

Unfortunately I'm close to ground zero on this particular issue and what i've witnessed over the last number of months is beyond sickening.

To see members of the clergy abuse their position by threatening, intimidating and bullying parents, teachers, parishioners and now fellow clergy has left me with no option but to come to the view that religion no longer has any place in schools.

It's too open to abuse by those who wish to abuse it and there are no checks in place to stop the abuse when it happens..

If you want any background to this sinister saga and just how corrupt small elements of the CoI have become,

Have a look here

Then go check out the BoM for Temple Carrig School Greystones.

Join the dots and you'll have a glimpse into the abyss..

Your professional colleagues need to develop some backbone, because the present system which abuses kids cannot continue without your explicit or implicit consent.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the way it is. You can be part of the problem or part of the solution.

That's like telling a cat he needs to become a dog now! I find the vast majority are quite ok with it, as that's the way they've been brought through the system... and if you don't like that then you can always choose elsewhere to learn or teach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

That's like telling a cat he needs to become a dog now! I find the vast majority are quite ok with it, as that's the way they've been brought through the system... and if you don't like that then you can always choose elsewhere to learn or teach.

By elsewhere, I'm guessing you mean emigrating, as the vast majority of schools and posts in this country are still religious ethos. I had a friend who managed to get a post in an educate together, but apparently the number of new posts is relatively small and the competition tough.

Wow what a cop out.

Teachers are paid by the state to deliver education, not be the lackeys of a church.

Pathetic. :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Wow what a cop out.

Teachers are paid by the state to deliver education, not be the lackeys of a church.

Pathetic. :mad:

Jeez relax you'd swear I pi55ed in your cornflakes or something.

It's not you, it's your profession collectively pissing in my cornflakes (so as to speak) and happily working away in a system that treats my kids as second class citizens.

We were at an open day for an ET secondary a few weeks back, we're just slightly out of its catchment area. New school building, great facilities, enthusiastic and motivated staff and an excellent principal who took time to speak with us personally at the end. We probably won't get in :( (NB: that's just due to demand and kids from the ETs in its catchment having priority, which is fair enough I suppose, but there's no ETs where we live and the only secondary options are single-sex RC.)

Scrap the cap!

Sorry but the old "if you don't like that then go elsewhere or homeschool" is a really sore point on this forum. It's nowhere near good enough. I'm a parent, not an educator. I want educators and their bosses to treat me and my kids the same as anyone else and not try to indoctrinate them. It's not a lot to ask.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Did this story show up? Seems the government is considering changing the law on sex education in schools:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/government-to-consider-changing-law-on-sex-education-1.3738154
    The Department of Education is set to consider whether the law should be changed to ensure schools under religious control cannot use their ethos as a barrier to teach children objective sex education. The move comes on foot of a report by the Oireachtas education committee into the quality of sex education at primary and secondary school. The report also proposes that the curriculum – which is almost 20 years old – should be updated and delivered to students from an earlier age.

There have been long-standing concerns that students in some schools under religious patronage are receiving sex education from groups which are opposed to contraception, abortion or homosexuality. A draft of the report, due to be published soon, states that under the Education Act (1998), schools are permitted to promote the moral, social, and personal development of students and provide health education for them, having regard to the “characteristic spirit of the school.” The committee report, however, states that the State advisory body on the curriculum has no legal power over how the curriculum is delivered by school patron bodies with their own religious ethos.

As a result, the committee has recommended that clarity is given by the Department of Education regarding how schools and colleges under religious patronage should implement a comprehensive sex education programme that treats all children equally. The committee also recommends that the Education Act 1998 be reviewed so that “ethos can no longer be used as a barrier to the effective teaching of the RSE (Relationships and Sexuality Education) and SPHE (Social Personal and Health Education) curriculum.

Other recommendations contained in the report include:

* Ensuring that RSE and SPHE be taught at primary level at in “an age and developmentally appropriate manner”;

* Updating the 20-year old curriculum to give consideration to the “significant and welcome changes” that have taken place in Ireland in order to produce a gender equality-based, inclusive, holistic, creative, empowering and protective curriculum;

* Examining the possibility of handing over responsibility for the oversight of delivery to the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment or a similar body so the programme is delivered in an effective and consistent manner;

* Ensuring outside providers of sex education be regulated by the State authorities to ensure consistency and accuracy of information provided to students.

* Including sexual consent as an integral and fundamental part of all discussions on and reforms of SPHE and RSE;

* Ensuring any legislative amendments required to remove the role of ethos as a barrier to the objective and factual delivery of sex education be made as soon as possible and at the latest by the end of 2019.

The Department of Education has not commented on the findings, but is set to consider the key recommendations once it is formally published.

In a foreword to the report, Fianna Fáil TD and committee chair Fiona O’Loughlin writes that the committee feels the curriculum needs updating in many areas and “is no longer reflective of society today”. She says improvements are required to give our young people the skills they need, particularly in the areas of consent and contraception. “The committee believes strongly that the SPHE and RSE curriculum needs to be inclusive of all students and to give a voice to LGBTQ+ students and those with special intellectual needs who are often overlooked in this area,” she writes.

Scaremongering ahoy!

Predictable that the usual vested interests would obstruct any attempts at divestment.

Removing school’s Catholic ethos would be ‘Brexit-type disaster’, parents told
    However, parents who are being invited to vote on whether to divest their school patronage this month have received letters and social media messages warning them of the consequences changing the ethos of their schools.

In the case of St Oliver Plunkett’s School in Malahide, the parents’ association warned that the loss of the school’s religious ethos could lead to the cancellation of nativity plays and carol services, and would impact on the “spirit, culture and even the name of the school”.

It also warned that initiatives such as the school’s garden fete; Healthy Eating; the Junior Entrepreneur Project and Book Buzz, a school reading programme, might not be facilitated under a new patron.

The message calls on parents to attend meetings to voice their concerns and warns of the dangers of a narrow vote in favour of divestment.

“To avoid another Brexit-type disaster, we implore you to attend the meeting. This is your opportunity to raise your questions/concerns,” parents were told, in messages seen by The Irish Times .

A separate letter from the school’s board of management states that staff and the board are “100 per cent” in favour of remaining and warned that a change in patronage would have “huge implications”.

“A change in patronage would mean that First Penance, First Holy Communion and Confirmation would no longer be the responsibility of the school. Therefore, should you wish your child to receive the Sacraments, all preparation would take place outside of school hours and at a cost to parents, ” the letter states.

Other Catholic schools in the areas have also issued similar warning that a change in patron could mean an end to the celebration of religious days and sacraments. Some of the letters from individual schools carry identical language.

Opposition to divestment has prompted anger from some parents, who are in favour of greater choice, and say there is a co-ordinated campaign to halt divestment.

One local parent, who declined to be named, said schools have presented the opportunity to vote as “an assault on all that is good about the school community”.

“They have conducted a campaign to incite fear, uncertainty and doubt among parents, making claims that switching to an unknown patron would result in the removal of book clubs, garden fetes, and Christmas celebrations...

“Allowing schools this much control over the process means that it will be almost impossible for change to happen.”

NB the proposal is to divest only ONE of the eight catholic primary schools in the area.

Scrap the cap!

That's an interesting one.
    Has there ever been a situation where a school had been divested from Catholic patron over to Educate Together ... with the same staff remaining on?

is there a copy of these letters floating around? https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/dia-dhuit-easter-celebrations-and-nativity-plays-could-all-be-scrapped-catholic-schools-warn-37974150.html

http://stmarnocks.scoilnet.ie/blog/about/board-of-management/
    Board of Management
    Committee Members
    2016– 2020
    Ciaran McCormack – Chairperson

David Tuite

John Hughes

Elizabeth Crilly

Sinéad Trimble

Niamh McCarthy

Laura Phillips

Neil McKeever
    its the National party speaker Ciaran McCormack i presume... http://scoiland.ie/fuinn-about-us/an-bord-bainistiochta-the-board-of-management/
    Pól Ó Cathasaigh – Cathaoirleach/ Ionadaí an Phatrúin
    Nóirín Ní Laighin – Príomhoide
    Íde Nic Gearailt – Ionadaí na Múinteoirí
    Colm Ó Raghallaigh – Ionadaí an Phatrúin
    Sinéad Uí Uilliam – Ionadaí na dTuismitheoirí / Cisteoir
    Oilibhéar Mac Conchoille– Ionadaí na dTuismitheoirí
    Dónall Mac Diarmada – Ionadaí an Phobail
    Máire Mhic Aogáin – Ionadaí an Phobail

abdication of responsibility of the bishops to manage this better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

One of the letters is at the bottom of this article:

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/0402/1040149-school-patronage/

Disgraceful that the BOM of these schools are lying so blatantly. With the exception of the sacraments everything else in that school could stay the exact same under Educate Together. And even the sacraments are done in most if not all Educate Together schools albeit after the school day. Need somebody like the Referendum Commission to publish a neutral leaflet about divestment for these situations.

That's an interesting one.
    Has there ever been a situation where a school had been divested from Catholic patron over to Educate Together ... with the same staff remaining on?
    I would imagine that would be the normal model of divestment.

Framing a model which involves majorly pissing off not only a signficant section of the parents who chose the school because they had a preference for its denominational affililation but also the entire teaching staff, who can be fired and replaced if the divestment proceeds, is pretty much framing a model which is guaranteed to fail.

Nor is the there any reason for this. Educate Together would have no objection to employing staff with a religious commitment - far from it; they are an inclusive movement. So from their point of view a transfer of patronage to them would not be an occasion for discharging any of the staff. A teacher who had a preference for working in a denominational school might choose to resign, or at least choose to look for other jobs and resign upon finding one, but that would be up to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

patsman07 wrote: »
    One of the letters is at the bottom of this article:
    they're talking about this on morning ireland - and have referred to another letter full of dramatic language, included lots of exclamation marks, and mentioned a claim that the safety of children on school will be compromised on school tours.
    the religious correspondent got a sly (if it was deliberate) 'it's a bit of a leap to suggest that children will be in greater danger because the catholic church are no longer in charge of them' comment in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just from listening to morning Ireland it seems the parents have already shot down any change of patronage in the school and if anything they are more determined than ever to keep it catholic ethos

Just from listening to morning Ireland it seems the parents have already shot down any change of patronage in the school and if anything they are more determined than ever to keep it catholic ethos
    Well, the parents committee is not necessarily representative of the views of the parents as a whole. It's the people who are interested and activist who tend to end up on these volunteer committees, and they may hold, um, stronger or more passionate views that the general run of parents.

But, yeah, this is going to be an issue quite frequently. Surveys suggest that a majority of parents do in fact prefer schools to have a denominational affiliation, and in most denominational schools that affiliation is likely to be something supported by a majority of the parents. Obviously, parents who perfer a Catholic school are absurdly over-catered for in the current Irish system, and parents who want an ET-type school are under-catered for, which is why there need to be patronage transfers. But in most schools that might be transferred you're quite likely to find that the transfer is not something that is necessarily popular with majority of parents. Which means you need to think about strategies for bringing people on board, securing their asset if not their active support, etc.

Ironically, massively over-hyped scare campaigns like this could be useful, since if those who favour the transfer play this right they can make themselves look like models of sweet, conciliatory reason and calm, reassuring rationality by comparison. So I think the strategic response is not this is an outrage, this is a savage campaign by puppets of the bishops, these are sinister lies, etc, etc. That attitude might or might not be justified, but it's unlikely to be helpful. A better response might be dear me, no, this is all a terrible misunderstanding, we are committed to inclusivity and respect, we wouldn't dream of making any of our schools a religion-free zone, all are welcome and all traditions are studied and celebrated, etc etc.

The point is that advocates of patronage transfer will mostly have a bit of work to do to win hearts and minds, since in most cases it's not going to be a generally popular move within the school. So it's not attack-your-enemies time; it's make-new-friends time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Third school at it.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0403/1040323-school_patronage/?fbclid=IwAR1730PpQ9GdfL1U3_cnXv69Mv3dAzlXalNh8lLOkICCoJzNLhd9ntjnBrk

If existing schools will obstruct to this level, then they'll have no choice but to build more schools, all of which will be divested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

gaius c wrote: »
    Third school at it.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0403/1040323-school_patronage/?fbclid=IwAR1730PpQ9GdfL1U3_cnXv69Mv3dAzlXalNh8lLOkICCoJzNLhd9ntjnBrk

If existing schools will obstruct to this level, then they'll have no choice but to build more schools, all of which will be divested.

Ppl seem to want little or nothing to do with divestment in practice.

Its the same old story that we have been discussing here for years.
    And the answer is still the same...
    recedite wrote: »
    The basic problem is this; "no particular school has a majority in favour of a change in patronage" (this according to Quinn, and he should know)

Lets say there were 3 local schools, and each was under RCC control, and each had a two thirds majority who like it that way. That leaves a lot of disgruntled people.

The obvious solution is to divest one school. Pretty soon everyone will gravitate towards their preferred type of school, and then everyone will be happy in their own niche.

For a short time though, you have a two thirds majority in that one school campaigning against the change.
    And a few local TD's who are quite happy to be seen in the media "helping out" if they think there might be a few votes in it for themselves.

As people keep saying, there is a real lack of leadership, from both the Minister and the Archbishop..

Its the same old story that we have been discussing here for years.
    And the answer is still the same...

The basic problem is this; "no particular school has a majority in favour of a change in patronage" (this according to Quinn, and he should know)

Lets say there were 3 local schools, and each was under RCC control, and each had a two thirds majority who like it that way. That leaves a lot of disgruntled people.

The obvious solution is to divest one school.
    which one? some people are attached to each,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gaius c wrote: »
    Third school at it.

These very much sound like scaremongering letters written by very religious principals; priests or others with a strong interest in keeping the catholic thing going.

If I see this nonsense appear from my child's school, I won't be slow to respond calling them out on their bullsh1t.

which one? some people are attached to each,
    Flip a coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The liberal anti catholic agenda is being pushed so much by the media that its exaggerating demand for non religious schools.

This is the result when individual schools are identified and then the reality dawns, the link between school, parish and GAA club is gone and thats not what parents want at all, seems the school staff dont want it either, maybe its a cosy set up between school management and the local clergy, who knows what the real opposition is.

I laughed when outraged Mum was interviewed this morning, her girl is making her communion soon and if the school divested she was going to have to tell her six year old son he wouldnt be making his, the drama of it!!!!!!!. He can make his communion any sunday he likes actually, it just wont be happening on school grounds.

There is going to be huge opposition no matter which schools are chosen, parents would have chosen the RC school above the ET and the RC school feeds into probsbly the best secondary school which may be single sex RC too.

Many of the “new Irish” are very religious and they choose RC schools in the absence of their own ethos. The Muslims want single sex schools so they choise RC schools too. The Muslims when they are numerous enough will build their own schools and you can whistle if you think white Irish children are going to get a place there.

• Advertisement

Flip a coin.
    You have a three-sided coin? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

tretorn wrote: »
    Many of the “new Irish” are very religious and they choose RC schools in the absence of their own ethos. The Muslims want single sex schools so they choise RC schools too. The Muslims when they are numerous enough will build their own schools and you can whistle if you think white Irish children are going to get a place there.

Yeah religious minority schools are already exempt from the ban on prioritising members of their religion. So much for education opening minds, when pupils find themselves surrounded by kids of only the same faith.

All religious facets of education should be removed. If parents want their children to follow their nonsense, it should not be on the taxpayer's dime.

Secularise all religious schools, including RCC, Muslim & COI. Remove all religious instruction from school, replace with extra STEM.

I'm familiar with the Muslim National School in Clonskeagh. There are plenty of "white Irish kids" in it.

All our local primary schools are RC and they are great schools. They feed into the best secondary schools which are single sex and RC too, these are non fee paying.

There are a few Church of Ireland schools and they feed into private schools. You wont get a place in the small COI schools if you are Catholic but if there is space in the private school after all Protestant, Presbyterian and Methodist etc children have been accommodated you might get a last minute call.
    I would be furious if my RC school divested, this means my children will have to go to a very poor community school for second level, this is a school no one wants.

If the Government wants primary schools to divest then it needs to guarantee parents that the school which divests doesnt lose its feeder status to the local RC secondary school and currently this will prove difficult.The secondary school will prioritise catholic children from the undivested school and the Government cant stop it doing that while the COI secondary school is preserving its ethos.

If you look at league tables its private single sex schools which come out on top along with single sex Gaelcolaistes. They will be followed by single sex RC schools and community non denominational schools lag far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A third school in north county Dublin has sent a letter to parents warning of dire consequences if parents vote to change the ethos of the school in an upcoming ballot.

the WTF part -

St Sylvester’s in Malahide has told parents that a move away from Catholic patronage would mean that the school would no longer be able to celebrate the role of grandparents in children's lives, and it suggests that "safety on tours" may also be compromised.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0403/1040323-school_patronage/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The liberal anti catholic agenda is being pushed so much by the media that its exaggerating demand for non religious schools.

This is the result when individual schools are identified and then the reality dawns, the link between school, parish and GAA club is gone and thats not what parents want at all, seems the school staff dont want it either, maybe its a cosy set up between school management and the local clergy, who knows what the real opposition is.

I laughed when outraged Mum was interviewed this morning, her girl is making her communion soon and if the school divested she was going to have to tell her six year old son he wouldnt be making his, the drama of it!!!!!!!. He can make his communion any sunday he likes actually, it just wont be happening on school grounds.

There is going to be huge opposition no matter which schools are chosen, parents would have chosen the RC school above the ET and the RC school feeds into probsbly the best secondary school which may be single sex RC too.

Obsessed.

• Advertisement

If the Government wants primary schools to divest then it needs to guarantee parents that the school which divests doesnt lose its feeder status to the local RC secondary school and currently this will prove difficult.
    That is not difficult at all.

Dept.of Education would just ensure that all the primary schools in the locality are designated as the official feeder schools. The patron will try to change this to "all parish primary schools". But he who pays the piper calls the tune.

This kind of dispute has already been played out, for example here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the Muslim National School in Clonskeagh. There are plenty of "white Irish kids" in it.

White, Irish, Muslim no problem. White, Irish non-Muslim will not be admitted.

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Yeah religious minority schools are already exempt from the ban on prioritising members of their religion. So much for education opening minds, when pupils find themselves surrounded by kids of only the same faith.

All religious facets of education should be removed. If parents want their children to follow their nonsense, it should not be on the taxpayer's dime.

Secularise all religious schools, including RCC, Muslim & COI. Remove all religious instruction from school, replace with extra STEM.

Yes, lets send a few Department officials and the Minister for Education to Beijing, we could get a few ideas from China about how to deal with these religious nuts.

China has a policy of locking Muslims in gulags for "education and training", China doesnt want this ideology taking hold so this is their way of dealing with it.

Is it something like this you have in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Yes, lets send a few Department officials and the Minister for Education to Beijing, we could get a few ideas from China about how to deal with these religious nuts.

China has a policy of locking Muslims in gulags for "education and training", China doesnt want this ideology taking hold so this is their way of dealing with it.

How did you go from secularisation of schools to gulags?

No, he said "not be on the taxpayer's dime".
    And I would add to that, we should not allow the likes of Saudi Arabia to fund the building of schools and mosques in this country either.
    If there are local muslims, and they want segregated Islamic education, let them pay for it themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement