Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

German, had thought in the past that it overestimated winds a bit, but when you look at the APERGE.

This is the storm I mentioned this morning that was just being shown as a run of the mill winter gale by every other model but as a severe event on the German DWD model and ended up as sustained hurricane force in Donegal. I recall MT flagged it and actually predicted the exact max windspeed which was 170kph at Malin Head. A big tree crashed down in my back garden that night and narrowly missed the house

It definitely looks like its overplaying things this time but I wouldn't totally discount it just yet

gfs-2012010300-0-6_izp9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Here's hoping we in Wexford can escape the worst

You will likely escape the worst, but as the worst may be unprecedented, escaping it will still mean a fair bit of damage and a lot of disruption, severe by any standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This is the storm I mentioned this morning that was just being shown as a run of the mill winter gale by every other model but as a severe event on the German DWD model and ended up as sustained hurricane force in Donegal. I recall MT flagged it and actually predicted the exact max windspeed which was 170kph at Malin Head. A big tree crashed down in my back garden that night and narrowly missed the house

It definitely looks like its overplaying things this time but I wouldn't totally discount it just yet

gfs-2012010300-0-6_izp9.png

What model do Met Eireann rely on usually in the hi res range?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is it likely the warning will be upgraded country wide, or are they pretty confident of its paths now, and likely to stay as an orange weather warning for rest of the country?

Deciding whether I send the kids to school or not in Co. Carlow.

I dunno. I’m watching the SE now as possible taking just as hard a hit or even harder then the west! Up through Leinster could be fairly dodgy too!

I’ve a feeling panic stations will be setting in tomorrow. Could MT be about to give his most alarming weather warning to date?

Stay tuned!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Met Eireann have STATUS ORANGE for Dublin.

Average wind speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between 110 and 130km/h are expected, however some inland areas may not be quite as severe. The winds have potential to cause structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Google does a pretty neat live wallpaper of the earth, it's called 'your world, solar system' for anybody interested.Tracks day/night, weather systems etc as if you were looking at earth from space! For instance I'm able to see where the hurricane is on it and it slowly moves every so often, pretty cool! See attached image :)

https://imgur.com/a/qMYmb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What model do Met Eireann rely on usually in the hi res range?

The HIRLAM

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

Gonna just look at sat24 mostly now.

Surely 80knot winds are possible now somewhere

If a station gets 77knot will we be saying

"150 page thread n only that?"

No.

I think Ireland is getting "damaged"

Think Sligo may be ok....ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

chris2007 wrote: »
    How bad will Dublin be effected?

Impossible to say how badly any place WILL be affected.

Risks are power loss - maybe for some days, widespread broken and downed trees as many are still mostly in leaf, structural damage to property such as slates, chimneys, hoardings, walls and fences destroyed, flooding both from heavy associated rain and storm surge in coastal areas due to onshore winds and / or super low pressure tidal conditions.

Basically, expect sporadic problems in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Looks to me like the red warning should include more eastern counties. Maybe not the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I think the met use HARMONIE as well which isn't publicly available, the Benelux version is on meteociel but doesn't cover us

Looks to me like the red warning should include more eastern counties. Maybe not the north.

Other counties could go red tomorrow. Met Eireann have it under review and said as such in their forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Other counties could go red tomorrow. Met Eireann have it under review and said as such in their forecast.

Any ideas of what these counties could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I can't understand how Cork, Kerry, and Clare are included yet not Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Very wild night in Mayo currently
    (Unrelated i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The threshold for a Red warning is either sustained winds above 80 km/h and/or gusts above 130 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭aidanodr

A history tweet with pics .. wasnt sure which thread to add it to. Other is about prep?

https://twitter.com/Muhammediceland/status/919352862597140480

Any ideas of what these counties could be?

It depends on the track of the storm. If it goes East then Waterford/Wexford and up the Irish Sea coast very likely and prob Tipp or Kilkenny.

No one knows with any certainty but the next 24 hours will bring further clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

The more i read this thread, the more and more im getting worried tbh.I think we could be in for a long day on Monday.Im just praying that the west coast might escape the worst of it.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I can't understand how Cork, Kerry, and Clare are included yet not Limerick.

Because Limerick has a fairly small coastline in relation to the others?

Cork - 1118 km
    Galway and Kerry - about 680 km

Limerick's coastline is 95 km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

If the storm tracks east then Dublin needs to be included in the Red warning zone even if winds don't quite exceed 130km per hour in gusts. The amount of building work, people, traffic etc means increased liklihood of death and destruction compared to that caused by winds of same strength hitting the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Apologies if this is a stupid question but is there any chance of tornado developing if the storm is severe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

slaneylad wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a stupid question but is there any chance of tornado developing if the storm is severe.

Yes it could happen
    There will be embedded thunderstorms and squal lines in this and all sorts of micro weather

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm not sure me being off Monday is a good thing or a bad thing. If I can I'll post here about my situation from the northside of cork city due to being off.

I've said it to a few people and it's been a case of "erra that storm will miss us" which I've not corrected them on.

I know it won't be a hurricane but it's not a damp wet day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

slaneylad wrote: »

It's possible.

http://www.estofex.org/
    Forecast soundings show low LCLs and intense LL shear (30 m/s 0-1 km shear and SRH-1 in excess of 400 m^2/s^2) . This is enough for rotating updrafts with an isolated tornado risk.

Yes it could happen
    There will be embedded thunderstorms and squal lines in this and all sorts of micro weather

Those squall lines can bring very violent gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Anyone else feel like theyre in one of those bad disaster movies.Feels surreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

This is starting to gather a lot of attention internationally.

All the yanks are tweeting about it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The 00z position appears to be 36.5 N 22.2 W still moving east-north-east but accelerating, and still showing a large circular eye 25-30 miles in diameter.

The 00z models start coming in after 0300h, the GFS usually gets to 48h around 0400h and the last to appear is ECM at 0700h, so there's a regular trickle of new maps after the GFS ... it won't be just me on here tonight (usually when I start my forecast and check the forum for anything new, it's 0 to 2 viewers, recently more like 25 to 50 even at 0-dark-hundred.

I am trying to avoid confirmation bias by not preferring any track, my one observation of note is that Ophelia was about 1 deg further from southeast Azores than 24h models had predicted (so is running right of the track) and that equates to about a Valentia to Cork spread along the track, but nothing to indicate this is a trend that will not fade away after the turn north-northeast expected later tonight.

As for ICON wind depictions, just a big wow icon there. Seems 20-40 km/hr overstated to me and ICON is hugging the right shoulder of the track highway at this point. The road is narrowing.

• Advertisement

Anyone else feel like their in one of those bad disaster movies.Feels surreal.

Yeah! It's all very well looking at impressive charts which usually don't materialise. Now it's nearly upon us and there has not been any shift or downgrade.

Most people will survive fine but unfortunately some will be very unlucky.

Advertisement