Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journalism and cycling

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A letter in today's Irish Times...
    Seeing cyclists in the dark
    Sir, – I would like apologise to the cyclist I almost hit on Monday night.

As they were wearing a high-visibility jacket and had bright lights this would seem even less excusable but it was only as the cyclist passed close in front of my car that I first saw the hand signal to turn right. The reason being the hand was in a black glove at the end of a black sleeve.

I am primarily a motorist, who cycles occasionally. I wear a bright red jacket when cycling.

I understand black jackets are more fashionable but I am old enough to remember gardaí on point duty wearing white gloves so their hand signals could be seen.

While these have gone out of fashion there are a wide variety of skiing gloves with reflective strips that I believe are fashionable. – Yours, etc,

DAVID DOYLE,

Goatstown, Dublin 14.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/seeing-cyclists-in-the-dark-1.4111194

Thinking about it, assuming that the lights on his car were working, he should be well able to see the cyclist's gesturing despite the cyclist's clothing.
    Response in today's IT...
    Sir, – Unlike David Doyle (December 11th), I don’t recall gardaí­ wearing white gloves, however I am aware that when driving behind any other road user, I’m responsible for ensuring I stay a safe distance from anything in front of me.

Given the principle that the motorist is the most dangerous road user, not just by overwhelming statistics, but by virtue of the size of their vehicle in any collision, I’m sure Mr Doyle will agree with me that the responsibility is on the motorist to remain attentive enough to notice hand-signals if they are so close that they risk rear-ending a more vulnerable road user. – Yours, etc,

COLIN McGOVERN,

Clontarf, Dublin 3.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/seeing-cyclists-in-the-dark-1.4112412

Mark Tighe provides us with another good story (mostly paywalled)...
    Cyclists told to pair up after attacks at Grand Canal gate
    A cycling campaign group has said it is “shameful” that they have had to advise cyclists to pair up on a stretch of the Grand Canal for safety.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9a46cb16-1c3a-11ea-8556-8cb7c08c0f76

Confronting a Driver from Your Bike Is Never Worth It
    Confrontations with strangers are a fact of life. Fortunately, most of these are relatively minor, and unless you’re Larry David, you’re unlikely to get into a heated argument with someone over an airplane seat armrest or a poorly-placed shopping cart. Some situations, however, can be considerably more fraught, like when you’re riding a bike and a driver almost kills you.

You don’t have to be a cyclist to almost get killed by a driver; you can be in your own car, on foot, or simply enjoying a donut. However, what’s unique about being on a bicycle is that you’ve got all the physical vulnerability of a pedestrian, yet thanks to the potent combination of a bike and the shot of adrenaline that accompanies nearly dying you’re also often able to catch up with and directly address your would-be assailant. And when someone plays fast and loose with your life, the impulse to do just that can be irresistible.

So should you?
    Interesting reading on a topic I know I need to stop doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Confronting a Driver from Your Bike Is Never Worth It

Interesting reading on a topic I know I need to stop doing!
    I disagree with the article;

As for administering a devastating dressing-down with such surgical precision that the driver immediately questions all the life choices that led them up to this moment, no matter how clever you are, attempts to deliver the mot juste invariably backfire and leave you feeling even angrier.

It's really not that hard to ask someone to, for example, put their phone down. I've done it hundreds of times, and got aggressively hostile reactions on a handful of occasions. Some people do react badly to any 'touching' of the vehicle, but if you can just get the driver to put the window down, you can just have an adult conversation.

Whether it has any positive impact is debatable, but by not doing anything, you can be absolutely certain that you have no positive impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

David doubles down...
    Sir, – I can assure Colin McGovern that there was never any danger of me rear-ending the cyclist as I had left ample space to stop as explained in my letter. If there had been a collision it would have been a side impact.

When cycling I see trucks as far more dangerous than cars and I believe the fatality figures confirm this.

I do agree that all road users, truck-drivers, car drivers, cyclists , and pedestrians must remain attentive to hand signals but would be surprised if the keenest- eyed pedestrian, an even more vulnerable road user, observing the near-miss could have seen the black gloved hand in the black sleeve.

My point is that cyclists, as one of the many road users, can either contribute to their own road safety or not. To me a hand signal with black glove and black sleeve is like a pedestrian walking down a country road in the dark without even an armband. It is easy to blame only the motorist, but that will not save lives. We all have a part to play in road safety. – Yours, etc,

David doubles down...
    1592n5.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, 'we all have a part to play'. the road safety equivalent of background noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Would only have been a side impact. Don't know what everyone is getting so worked up about"

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not journalism, but a film about people taking the journey from the Grapes of Wrath by bike in 30 days

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/dec/12/the-bikes-of-wrath-review-cameron-ford-charlie-turnbull-cycling-documentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

In choosing which Letters to publish Irish Times have made their editorial stance fairly clear.
    Sir, – David Doyle’s suggestion (December 11th) that when cycling in the dark, cyclists should wear gloves with luminous strips, makes sense.

Not only will drivers be able to see the cyclists hand signals and therefore reduce the possibility of a crash happening, but on occasions when they nearly kill the cyclist they will be able to see the cyclist’s “hand signals” as they drive away. – Yours, etc,

BRIAN CULLEN,

Rathfarnham, Dublin 16.
    Sir, – David Doyle was lucky to get a hand-signal from a cyclist in the first place. It is a rarity in itself. – Yours, etc,

MICHAEL REDMOND,

Clongriffin, Dublin 13.
    Sir, – I think your correspondent Colin McGovern (December 12th) may be missing the point made by the original contributor (David Doyle): signals made in the dark, with a darkly-clad arm, are invisible at anything approaching a safe distance.

I don’t cycle during these dark winter evenings without a reflective jacket with sleeves. Common sense and my own survival demand it. – Yours, etc,

ALAN O’BRIEN,

Dalkey, Co Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that may have been all the letters they received though. i vaguely know someone who used to be letters ed in the times. as you can imagine, much of what they are sent is not fit to be reproduced.

David doubles down...

Isn't it very unusual for the Times to allow a response to a response like this. This is moving into 'discussion board' territory, which is fairly different to their usual approach. You will often see a response to a previous letter, but not a response to a response.

But it's cycling, so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

that may have been all the letters they received though. i vaguely know someone who used to be letters ed in the times. as you can imagine, much of what they are sent is not fit to be reproduced.

I sent in a reply...:-) and it was publishable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Isn't it very unusual for the Times to allow a response to a response like this. This is moving into 'discussion board' territory, which is fairly different to their usual approach. You will often see a response to a previous letter, but not a response to a response.

But it's cycling, so...

It's not unusual to allow a reply. That said, who knows how many back-and-forths never get published.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But it's cycling, so...

Twitter by snail mail.

Here is what our dear driver did not mention about his driving. It is not like motorway overtaking. Same as overtaking a car, pedestrian or cyclist, you slow down and assess that it is safe to do so, this would involve slowing the car, indicating, observing, noticing the hand and then not completing the move. Unfortunately, most drivers now drive as if they are on a motorway. The cyclist is not in a separate lane of traffic to the car in his example, it is in the same lane as the car, so the cyclist did not pull across him , they technically indicated to turn right and he almost attempted an overtake while this was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

crisco10 wrote: »
    In choosing which Letters to publish Irish Times have made their editorial stance fairly clear.

In fairness, this one at a glance looks like the author is agreeing with the luminous strips but he's actually making a joke about it. I would take it as saying that it's ridiculous.
    Sir, – David Doyle’s suggestion (December 11th) that when cycling in the dark, cyclists should wear gloves with luminous strips, makes sense.

Not only will drivers be able to see the cyclists hand signals and therefore reduce the possibility of a crash happening, but on occasions when they nearly kill the cyclist they will be able to see the cyclist’s “hand signals” as they drive away. – Yours, etc,

why oh why do people on the radio continually use the pronunciation 'cycalists'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

why oh why do people on the radio continually use the pronunciation 'cycalists'?

Think it's just an Irish thing of interposing vowels between consonants and 'l's. Like Scottish people, consonants and 'r's.

The tone of these people. "Well, either you're a reflective glove wearer or you're a complete moron with no interest in road safety."

• Advertisement

WHERE ARE YOUR REFLECTIVE GLOVES!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

What about all the things, walls, trees, pedestrians, cyclists, animals and finally, other cars and trucks that drivers crash into every day?

What's the commonality with these things?

The only thing I can think of is....they exist and drivers exist.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    WHERE ARE YOUR REFLECTIVE GLOVES!?!
    bef81643a2fabe8c84d6097be646726b.gif

Sir,

I was driving my car, wearing a red jacket, the most visible colour in the world, when I passed a cyclist. The cyclist, commendably, was wearing one reflective glove. Unfortunately, he was signalling left with his ungloved hand. So I ran him over.

Yours in safety,
    Etc.

Wrong finger.

Cyclist injured after breaking traffic lights awarded €20,000
    High court found Pat Deegan was 60% responsible for his own injury
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/cyclist-injured-after-breaking-traffic-lights-awarded-20-000-1.4114876

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/cyclist-injured-after-breaking-traffic-lights-awarded-20-000-1.4114876

Queue the outrage. But it stands to reason, if you are driving a death machine, you need to allow for everything.

Put away your phone and pay some attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not journalism, but a film about people taking the journey from the Grapes of Wrath by bike in 30 days

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/dec/12/the-bikes-of-wrath-review-cameron-ford-charlie-turnbull-cycling-documentary

Looks inspiring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

While I detest cyclists who break lights (especially pedestrian lights) I can't help but think that this was not a lights controlled junction thus the driver should not have been using it as a guide that traffic was stopped. The cyclist could have just mounted the bike the other side of the lights (or walked through with his bike) and the incident would have happened. Strange judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

axer wrote: »
    While I detest cyclists who break lights (especially pedestrian lights) I can't help but think that this was not a lights controlled junction thus the driver should not have been using it as a guide that traffic was stopped. The cyclist could have just mounted the bike the other side of the lights (or walked through with his bike) and the incident would have happened. Strange judgement.

I was wondering the same. The first incident seems to have nothing to do with the collision.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Same things happens frequently at the junction of Aungier St and Whitefriar St, where drivers coming down the side of the Church assume that once the pedestrian lights go red, it is safe for them to pull out onto the main road, regardless of whether there are cyclists coming up to those pedestrian lights.

https://twitter.com/Kingbot/status/1203989503855255552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Same things happens frequently at the junction of Aungier St and Whitefriar St, where drivers coming down the side of the Church assume that once the pedestrian lights go red, it is safe for them to pull out onto the main road, regardless of whether there are cyclists coming up to those pedestrian lights.

https://twitter.com/Kingbot/status/1203989503855255552
    I know the spot. There is room for cyclists heading towards Dame street to pass the whitefriar road and still have space to stop before the lights. Even when the lights go green when cycling the other direction you have to watch out for cars still crossing the road and they never want to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »

A young lad with his whole life ahead of him. So sad :(

Dublin City Council Wants to Reopen a Traffic School for Kids
    Aidan Somerville says he remembers being brought to the traffic school in Clontarf when he was a child. “It was encompassing everything,” he says.

Kids would get a safety briefing, and split off into different groups. “There were pedestrian groups, kids would go into go-karts and then there was kids on bikes,” he says.
    https://dublininquirer.com/2019/12/18/dublin-city-council-wants-to-reopen-a-traffic-school-for-kids

Kids? Can we not send adults?

That weird case of the car mounting the footpath at speed on Adelaide Road has been in court: driver got jail.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1218/1101993-rosemarie-gallagher/

That weird case of the car mounting the footpath at speed on Adelaide Road has been in court: driver got jail.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1218/1101993-rosemarie-gallagher/

I was more than a little surprised when I saw the name of the judge who locked her up.

Is he usually pretty lenient with motoring offences?

• Advertisement

Is he usually pretty lenient with motoring offences?

Martin Nolan? Some of his sentencing is off the walls.

He's let scumbags with over a hundred previous convictions walk free for similar offences. Not sure why he decided to actually apply jail time this time round.

Or the man who abused 2 of his nieces, having is name in the public realm was punishment enough according to Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

He seems to think her MS is going to improve in 3 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Only 2 years in jail and 3 license free years for killing someone and injuring 3 others whilst knowingly unfit to drive.
    :rolleyes:
    Why, oh why oh why is she getting her license back? Surely she's off the road for good now?

:mad:

He seems to think her MS is going to improve in 3 years.
    eeeee wrote: »
    Only 2 years in jail and 3 license free years for killing someone and injuring 3 others whilst knowingly unfit to drive.
    :rolleyes:
    Why, oh why oh why is she getting her license back? Surely she's off the road for good now?

:mad:
    I presume that she'd need to get her GP to sign off before she could ever drive again, which is probably unlikely?

yeah, it sounds like she needed a doctor's cert to be able to drive. she won't get one now; but i'd question the custodial sentence anyway. what sort of custodial sentence can they impose on a woman in her 60s with MS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Non cycling related but ‘judge’ Nolan is having one of his weeks

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/man-who-drove-through-red-light-causing-fatal-collision-avoids-jail-1.4121923?mode=amp

I knew it was him from the headline.

Yeah that's him back on form.

My god if I was the family of the victim I'd have a hard time staying quiet in court listening to that scutter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ferris wrote: »
    Non cycling related but ‘judge’ Nolan is having one of his weeks

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/man-who-drove-through-red-light-causing-fatal-collision-avoids-jail-1.4121923?mode=amp

I knew it was him from the headline.

That's absolutely horrendous.
    Is there no process by which a judge can get struck off?
    I'm speechless at his judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement