Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This day 32 years ago, new cycle lanes for Dublin, officially opened by a Mayor Aherne and a bunch of cyclists in high visibility belts.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2133675163628937&id=1377419479254513

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Hurrache wrote: »
    This day 32 years ago, new cycle lanes for Dublin, officially opened by a Mayor Aherne and a bunch of cyclists in high visibility belts.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2133675163628937&id=1377419479254513

I use that lane daily and it still terrible. Midway through the path and cycle lane become one. It confuses every one. While I was on it a car actually drove up and hit as it went park on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Now we have a date for the tomasrojo's dress sense. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »
    Now we have a date for the tomasrojo's dress sense. :pac:
    I can't see the people with the belts though, because I don't have a Facebook account.

My Sam Browne is reduced to a belt around my satchel now, not me. Funnily enough, there was a student doing a survey in the Drury Street bicycle park, and, of course, he included questions about wearing helmets and hiviz. When he asked me how often I wore hiviz, I showed him the satchel and the belt and asked whether that counted as hiviz. He said, like a judge in an American drama, that he'd allow it.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I can't see the people with the belts though, because I don't have a Facebook account.

My Sam Browne is reduced to a belt around my satchel now, not me. Funnily enough, there was a student doing a survey in the Drury Street bicycle park, and, of course, he included questions about wearing helmets and hiviz. When he asked me how often I wore hiviz, I showed him the satchel and the belt and asked whether that counted as hiviz. He said, like a judge in an American drama, that he'd allow it.
    I see the link to the RTÉ archive now.

30 seconds in, first archival footage of an Irish bike salmon?

• Advertisement

... and there are the Sam Brownes at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21232821-new-cycle-lanes-dublin/

I see the link to the RTÉ archive now.

30 seconds in, first archival footage of an Irish bike salmon?
    ... and coincidentally I just saw this more recent example of salmon ignoring the road direction.
    https://twitter.com/m_yosry2012/status/1068447633247744000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭JMcL

"Be safe, be seen" and nary a light of any sort in evidence in the queue that pulls up behind the double decker at the end of the clip.

That said I do remember at around that time getting a right(ful) bollocking from a guard just up the road from there somewhere around Griffth Ave/Homefarm Road for not having a light on the bike. Given it was probably about 2 in the morning and I was probably on the way home from a college do, I'm probably lucky he focused on the lack of a light and not how many sheets to the wind I was :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saw this posted to twitter, UK story:

Half of disabled cyclists fear being seen cycling in case they lose benefits
    https://road.cc/content/news/252643-half-disabled-cyclists-fear-being-seen-cycling-case-they-lose-benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Grassey wrote: »

Who is designing these cycle ways?? Why does the route have to involve demolishing centuries old walls and cutting trees? Is there no other route that could be created? It seems to be the same 'thinking' that goes into other proposed greenway routes around the country - instead of design sympathetic to the environment it will go through we get proposals that cut dairy farms in half and demolish the type of features that make these routes attractive in the first place.

I love greenways. The Mayo and Waterford greenways are not just fantastic amenties but (particuallary in Waterford) real transport options too. Why are planners and designers in other counties failing so bad at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Grassey wrote: »

Funny how environment concerns seem to be especially triggered when the development is cycle related. I wonder if the good doctors raised a whisper about the 1000 x environmental devastation and impact to build any of the roads on which I'm sure they drive daily.

FWIW I'm not in favour of tearing up cultural areas to facilitiate cycle paths - I'd be more than happy if 50% of existing road space was given over to safe bike infrastructure. Knowing the opposition that would be raised to that notion by the good doctors and by so many others, that probably won't even happen in my grandkids lifetime, but one can always dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

jjpep wrote: »
    Who is designing these cycle ways?? Why does the route have to involve demolishing centuries old walls and cutting trees? Is there no other route that could be created? It seems to be the same 'thinking' that goes into other proposed greenway routes around the country - instead of design sympathetic to the environment it will go through we get proposals that cut dairy farms in half and demolish the type of features that make these routes attractive in the first place.

The cynic in me might suggest that its a deliberate strategy to ensure the proposal is squashed and things stay exactly the same as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Is there no other route that could be created?

As someone on Twitter said. Just close the road to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

It seems to be the same 'thinking' that goes into other proposed greenway routes around the country - instead of design sympathetic to the environment it will go through we get proposals that cut dairy farms in half and demolish the type of features that make these routes attractive in the first place.

Which Greenways currently, or are proposed to, cut dairy farms in half? I thought only Irish Water's planed pipeline to bring water from Lough Derg to Dublin was proposing that.

Agree the Navan route plan seems disastrous for heritage but dont know the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Which Greenways currently, or are proposed to, cut dairy farms in half? I thought only Irish Water's planed pipeline to bring water from Lough Derg to Dublin was proposing that.

Agree the Navan route plan seems disastrous for heritage but dont know the area.

Two of the proposed greenways in galway in their current design do. Haven't docs to hand as on phone. The galway to clifden route has a lot of the farming community for thus reason. As some else said earlier, you'd almost be suspicious that these projects are being designed to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Two of the proposed greenways in galway in their current design do. Haven't docs to hand as on phone. The galway to clifden route has a lot of the farming community for thus reason. As some else said earlier, you'd almost be suspicious that these projects are being designed to fail.

Thanks, had forgotten those, I think because Galway-Clifden was originally a rail line. i shouldn't have forgotten all the Kerfuffle re East Galway and Dub-Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Mannix 'anti-everything' Flynn given publicity again: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/deliveroo-and-just-eat-in-firing-line-over-cyclists-conduct-1.3720221

I'm surprised the media haven't copped onto the "pick on a sub-group that people give out about a lot to raise your profile" strategy yet.

And nothing from Mannix about the lack of enforcement of road laws in the city centre. I wonder has he written to the taxi regulator lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

new-cycleway-and-paths-are-on-the-way-to-naas.html

€300K allocated from Dept of Education to put in cycle lanes by the schools. To be used by February 2019 or they lose it... been sitting on it for over a year, starting to look for a design consultant only now...

• Advertisement

"A closer look at how some cyclists are bending the rules of the road"

Posted in their motoring section of all places https://amp.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/a-closer-look-at-how-some-cyclists-are-bending-the-rules-of-the-road-37594123.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

buffalo wrote: »
    Mannix 'anti-everything' Flynn given publicity again: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/deliveroo-and-just-eat-in-firing-line-over-cyclists-conduct-1.3720221

I'm surprised the media haven't copped onto the "pick on a sub-group that people give out about a lot to raise your profile" strategy yet.

And nothing from Mannix about the lack of enforcement of road laws in the city centre. I wonder has he written to the taxi regulator lately...

Mannix Flynn is a crank. Unfortunately some vote for him, so too much is heard of him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Posted in their motoring section of all places https://amp.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/a-closer-look-at-how-some-cyclists-are-bending-the-rules-of-the-road-37594123.html
    Written by someone called RSA Expert the waffle on about "busy bees" and cyclists being "minus any helmet or high-visibility gear"
    What kind of cretin writes this crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Posted in their motoring section of all places

Pure thrash. Had to stop reading.
    some of these busy bees seem to bending the rules of the road.

with city infrastructures struggling to cope with the swarming masses?

While their country cousins are happy to slot into a leader's slipstream, some city cyclists are battling it out for first place on the cycle path.

No one wants to be stuck behind the poor struggling climber (who is just short of being pushed up the hill), but weaving in and out of traffic and clipping wing mirrors is risky for both cyclists and others.

So, if we are beginning to see motorists respect cyclists more, then equally cyclists need to respect the more vulnerable pedestrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

'I'm not saying that motorists are without fault - far from it.'

AKA I'm not racist, but... etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

First line: "We Irish have taken to cycling in a big way."

Does he think they've just introduced the bicycle in the last few years? I seem to remember my grandparents telling me it was their primary method of transportation. Bet you there's a lower percentage of people cycling now than in their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Written by someone called RSA Expert

I actually opened the article to see who the RSA expert was, and hilariously that was the author's "name". Such bull****, no way an expert on anything but verbal diarrhoea wrote that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Of all sections of the road to use in the photo accompanying the article. I've yet to cycle down that middle cycle lane, without a car following me. Bending the rules indeed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mannix Flynn is a crank.
    with a really small BCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

that independent article is rage inducing!

on the deliveroo one, not that i want to agree with Mr Flynn but I do think delivery companies need to be held accountable for issues they are creating in the city. setting unrealistic times and routes for their cyclists forces bad behavior or you will lose your job. poor pay and conditions means sub standard bikes (or purchasing stolen bikes) and lack of proper equipment. arbitrary time constraints, competition for next job and selective rating systems force the cyclists to check their phone / gps / app in order to keep making money.

its the cyclists who are the face of it, similar to the delivery drivers that are parking in cycle lanes, builders parking on paths, etc but as always their bosses that put them under pressure to break these laws.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement