Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My one (as you probably saw) was Midnights’s one, I gave him €1900 for it and it got a fairly hard life of daily rallying while I had it.
    Serviced every 3 months, limited every day and blew two radiators but sure it still ran well and started on the button. Those 13b’s will take more than people think.

Had it fully comp for only €600 too.

So my back box decided it didn’t want to be part of my car anymore today. I’ll have to see about cutting a section of rust out and welding in some pipe this weekend.
    It sounds so broken but the VVT change sounds cool. :p

That’s 10 days of trouble free motoring before something went wrong with a Suzuki Swift, the RX8 did over a year. :pac:

https://youtu.be/QDnWcUiUpvA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

CianRyan wrote: »

Had it fully comp for only €600 too.

How?

Mine's over 1200. With full NCB

And I've never hit anything.

Dartz wrote: »
    How?

Mine's over 1200. With full NCB

And I've never hit anything.

A bit of a weird one, I had full NCB too, was 26 or 27 at the time with no points.
    I was with Aviva at the time and when I called them, they had nothing matching an RX8 on their system so it had to go to their underwriters to come up with something.
    About a week later they gave me a call, they said the closest thing they could come up with was an “RX8-7” which was a 2 liter turbo coupe. I told them that didn’t match the description of the car or anything on the log book and they assured me that it was fine and that I would be fully covered once based on that being the “closest match”.

There was a couple of months left, so changing from the Micra I gave them a few extra euros, totaling about €750 for the year and then the renewal came in at €600 and I laughed my ass off and bought it straight away. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

300 for two Chinese tyres after they got slashed

What kind of Chinese tyres where these? Must have been coated with gold flake or so the man selling them to you said. :eek:

CianRyan wrote: »

So my back box decided it didn’t want to be part of my car anymore today. I’ll have to see about cutting a section of rust out and welding in some pipe this weekend.
    It sounds so broken but the VVT change sounds cool. :p

That’s 10 days of trouble free motoring before something went wrong with a Suzuki Swift, the RX8 did over a year. :pac:

Can you weld yourself? Or would you have to bring it to a exhaust place?

Out of genuine curiosity you must be nearly finished the apprenticeship now.

I know you are with a main dealer so they may be more strict than an independent but can you bring your car into work and use the lift and tools for your own yoke?

What kind of Chinese tyres where these? Must have been coated with gold flake or so the man selling them to you said. :eek:

They were Chinese tyres that'd drive to my car at 8pm at night in Finglas and be fitted then and there after scumbags cut open the hankooks when they realised the cat they just cut out was an empty shell.

Yer man fitting them wasn't bad - good setup, good equipment, did a good job -was quick and didn't mind the rain. But the tyres were ****ing suicide hoops - it swapped ends on me three times in as many weeks and they went to the farmer's silage pit the moment I got me bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

They were Chinese tyres that'd drive to my car at 8pm at night in Finglas and be fitted then and there after scumbags cut open the hankooks when they realised the cat they just cut out was an empty shell.

I was gonna ask when you mentioned that in earlier post...

Slashed tyres and cat cut... Jesus that's ****e.

Fair play that you're sticking with it, proper petrol head! I was at that first track day with ye I believe, one of the wettest days in about ten years. Your car would have been ten times the craic mines was but I enjoyed it all the same. 4 hours each way to get to Mondello so I haven't been back since.

Screenshot-20200201-105423-com-google-android-apps-photos.jpg

Can you weld yourself? Or would you have to bring it to a exhaust place?

Out of genuine curiosity you must be nearly finished the apprenticeship now.

I know you are with a main dealer so they may be more strict than an independent but can you bring your car into work and use the lift and tools for your own yoke?

Yeah I can weld, I actually worked as a fabricator for a while before I started as a mechanic, I had to be a coded welder for a lot of that.

Yes and yes! I’m two weeks out from my final exams and come July I’ll be officially finished!
    Bringing your own car into work varies from garage to garage, I’ve never had an issue with it but the again, I’ve always had a good relationship with my foremen and managers. There’s no TIG welder in work though so I’ll be heading into my mates garage on Friday, it’ll be proper educates guess work. :D

@Dartz, that story genuinely hurts. I had some ball bag bend the rear wiper on my Almera back in the day and that killed me. Can’t imagine my tyres and cat all hacked at once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I was gonna ask when you mentioned that in earlier post...

Slashed tyres and cat cut... Jesus that's ****e.

Fair play that you're sticking with it, proper petrol head! I was at that first track day with ye I believe, one of the wettest days in about ten years. Your car would have been ten times the craic mines was but I enjoyed it all the same. 4 hours each way to get to Mondello so I haven't been back since.

Screenshot-20200201-105423-com-google-android-apps-photos.jpg

That was a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But the tyres were ****ing suicide hoops
    :D:D Thanks you git. Tea all over my keyboard. :D

Got a new battery this week after my old one died. I reserve the greatest hate for these style of battery clamps.

s-l300.jpg

Useless fiddly bloody things. :mad:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Wibbs wrote: »

Got a new battery this week after my old one died. I reserve the greatest hate for these style of battery clamps.

Galvoband and a few tek screws does a great job as a replacement :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wibbs wrote: »

s-l300.jpg

I'll take that over the German ones anyway.
    Changed the battery in herselfs 01 A4 and the ballache just trying to get at the tiny clamp that holds the battery at it's base...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Had to have the glow plug module replaced on the car last week. But can anyone confirm if it's true or not that the dpf won't regenerate if the glow plugs aren't functioning properly?

Before hand it was throwing up a few fault codes, glow plug 1,2,3 & 4 as well as the module itself but also an exhaust back pressure sensor code, all would appear back after being erased immediately but now the exhaust code hasn't returned either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s certainly true for some PSA engines.

YbFocus wrote: »
    That was a good day!

It was the conditions that made it.

I'd like to do another one, but the crowd at the Trackdays.ie events are a bit too fast - and the last one my car was cooking itself after two laps.

On a completely unrelated note - I've no idea why I've been looking at youtube reviews of Urals.

• Advertisement

Had to have the glow plug module replaced on the car last week. But can anyone confirm if it's true or not that the dpf won't regenerate if the glow plugs aren't functioning properly?

Before hand it was throwing up a few fault codes, glow plug 1,2,3 & 4 as well as the module itself but also an exhaust back pressure sensor code, all would appear back after being erased immediately but now the exhaust code hasn't returned either.

What car is it?
    Glow plugs are used in regeneration alright, this is called post glow and it helps to achieve higher exhaust temps needed to further break down and bond the PM. If you have an open circuit or no communication that will absolutely halt regeneration in some systems.

Most modern diesels will start and run fine with 4 failed glow plugs, it’s all emissions based work for them these days. (Mostly anyway)

320d e90 n47. Im gonna give it a blast every couple of days up and down the M2 and hope I can clear out what might have built up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

320d e90 n47. Im gonna give it a blast every couple of days up and down the M2 and hope I can clear out what might have built up.

Make sure your engine is getting up to temperature after 10-15 mins. There is a hidden menu on the dash that allows you to check the coolant temp, I’m not 100% sure but I think it should be up in the low 90’s.
    If you have a faulty thermostat your car won’t get hotter than low 80’s and won’t trigger a regen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Make sure your engine is getting up to temperature after 10-15 mins. There is a hidden menu on the dash that allows you to check the coolant temp, I’m not 100% sure but I think it should be up in the low 90’s.
    If you have a faulty thermostat your car won’t get hotter than low 80’s and won’t trigger a regen.

Technology has come long way

Interslice wrote: »
    Technology has come long way

And it's a **** to get that menu to appear. Think I'll use the obd reader that I bought live data function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

This lad really takes snapping pictures of Felt spec yokes to another level..:pac:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B80k6LwBil2/?igshid=j5tsvok52jdw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Another 'high end sports car' seized... :D

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0221/1116698-moldovan-gang-co-louth-search/

TLDR it's a diesel merc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

tossy wrote: »
    Another 'high end sports car' seized... :D

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0221/1116698-moldovan-gang-co-louth-search/

TLDR it's a diesel merc.

And a C200 at that, depending on the year that could mean a 1.6 litre Renault diesel :D! It seems like the fact it's an "AMG" went to their heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

BMs have had that for a while even when they have a temperature gauge, hidden menu 7.0 in the E90 (and also the E46 and E39).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

People who know more than I, has anyone an opinion on a 2004 Celica? Just a regular one. SH!TE? Good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I really enjoyed my time with mine. Not worth a whole pile even if high spec and good condition. 2004 would be a 140bhp with the oil burning issue sorted most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Vvtli ones aren't that dear so I'd really see no reason to go for the 140bhp one unless it's extremely cheap. They handle well and feel nimble. Look pretty nice too.

2zzge engine is a peach
    1zzfe of that era isn't and is fond of oil. Wasn't it after 06 that the oil burning issues were fully sorted

Talking about them Celicas there is one in great nick but looking at dreamer money on DoneDeal. I was going to post it one day but didn't in the end.

I really enjoyed my time with mine. Not worth a whole pile even if high spec and good condition. 2004 would be a 140bhp with the oil burning issue sorted most likely.
    Vvtli ones aren't that dear so I'd really see no reason to go for the 140bhp one unless it's extremely cheap. They handle well and feel nimble. Look pretty nice too.

2zzge engine is a peach
    1zzfe of that era isn't and is fond of oil. Wasn't it after 06 that the oil burning issues were fully sorted
    Talking about them Celicas there is one in great nick but looking at dreamer money on DoneDeal. I was going to post it one day but didn't in the end.
    What would the value of a 2004 with a full stake of history, unmarked leather interior, Nct, 140k miles but sadly paint peeling Toyota racing pink paintwork be?

It's not advertised so can't link an ad. It's also uninsurable so pretty much a garage ornament. Drove it and loved it.

Wouldnt be paying more than €500 for it.

I had a very tidy 02 190bhp UK model, fully loaded, leather, sunroof, climate etc. New clutch, new tyres, Tons of maintenance carried out, taxed and tested at the time. Think I took around €1200 for it in 2016 and it was a struggle to get that, took months. Possibly should have kept it in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I had one a long time ago and If remember correctly there’s about 45 different bushing (over exaggeration) in the complicated front suspension and they were very expensive to replace. This was a few years ago so they might have gotten cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

And a C200 at that, depending on the year that could mean a 1.6 litre Renault diesel :D! It seems like the fact it's an "AMG" went to their heads!

It’s actually an E Class.

L-M wrote: »
    I had one a long time ago and If remember correctly there’s about 45 different bushing (over exaggeration) in the complicated front suspension and they were very expensive to replace. This was a few years ago so they might have gotten cheaper

That was probably a superstrut one.

You wouldn't see that in an Irish or UK car, it wasnt even that common in the Jap Celica gen7, you must have had a good one :pac:

Wouldnt be paying more than €500 for it.

I had a very tidy 02 190bhp UK model, fully loaded, leather, sunroof, climate etc. New clutch, new tyres, Tons of maintenance carried out, taxed and tested at the time. Think I took around €1200 for it in 2016 and it was a struggle to get that, took months. Possibly should have kept it in hindsight.
    Not the 190bhp one I know that much. If it was I'd already have it. :pac:

Cheers for the info

They sound like a Rav4. That always ruined it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,296 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/td-calls-for-legislation-on-selling-company-cars-983307.html

what the hells a 'company' car I must be getting old !
    A Cork TD has pledged to tackle the sale of so-called ‘company cars’ following a horror crash in his community which claimed the life of one teenager and left a teen fighting for his life.

Sinn Féin’s Thomas Gould, the first TD from Knocknaheeny, on Cork’s northside, said a system which allows the sale of cars to teenagers must be tightened, and must include tough penalties for unscrupulous vendors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Slang term for when a group of lads pool together to buy a banger to joyride in

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They sound like a Rav4. That always ruined it for me.

We've got a Rav4 and Avensis so that won't be a huge issue :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭ofcork

L-M wrote: »
    It’s actually an E Class.

Looks like alright 2 drls on e class headlights,1 on c and 3 on s class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was just looking at the VW service website pricelist. A full Service is €50 more expensive for a GTD, GTI, R than a standard golf hard to see the warrant for such a difference sure they all use 5W30 oil (I know some in the last year or so now use 0W20) oil, air, cabin filter can't be much difference in price. That just leaves the spark plugs are they some kind of expensive spark plug used in the EA888 engine ? Well whatever about the R and GTI I can't see the logic behind the GTD being in that bracket.

I know in the grand scheme of running costs the difference is negligible. More just wondering is there much of a difference in servicing them to a standard diesel / petrol golf.

Clue: VW don’t charge extra in the UK.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Clue: VW don’t charge extra in the UK.

Yes when I am getting it done I might ring them and Just say I want to book my 2018 VW Golf in for a service and see do actually ask what kind it is. If there was a cost difference with the parts I wouldn't mind at all.

But if its just a oh the people that bought 'performance' Golfs paid more for them than a standard Golf so we should charge them more to get them serviced logic then that's a bit hard to stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Do threads disappear sometimes?
    I was following and contributed to a thread about Audi A6 touring vs. a BMW 520 touring, and it seems to have disappeared. I can't remember that happening before.
    Can the OP delete the whole thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I was following and contributed to a thread about Audi A6 touring vs. a BMW 520 touring, and it seems to have disappeared. I can't remember that happening before.

They can request.

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes when I am getting it done I might ring them and Just say I want to book my 2018 VW Golf in for a service and see do actually ask what kind it is. If there was a cost difference with the parts I wouldn't mind at all.

But if its just a oh the people that bought 'performance' Golfs paid more for them than a standard Golf so we should charge them more to get them serviced logic then that's a bit hard to stomach.

I thought the price menu was only split between <2.0 and >2.0 engine sizes, so someone with a 2.0 TDI would be paying the same as someone with a 2.0 TDI GTD. There was basically €25 additional for stuff over 2.0 for the additional engine oil, which was at most 2l more.

It used to be €169 for an <2.0 oil change and €194 for an >2.0 petrol or diesel. Same with a full service in a diesel, it was €269 for a full or €294 for a full over 2.0. The only exception was the over 2.0 petrols as the plugs were like €100 worth alone.

Your car being less than 3 years old though CIP, your only due an oil and pollen filter or what mileage have you got?

I thought the price menu was only split between <2.0 and >2.0 engine sizes, so someone with a 2.0 TDI would be paying the same as someone with a 2.0 TDI GTD. There was basically €25 additional for stuff over 2.0 for the additional engine oil, which was at most 2l more.

It used to be €169 for an <2.0 oil change and €194 for an >2.0 petrol or diesel. Same with a full service in a diesel, it was €269 for a full or €294 for a full over 2.0. The only exception was the over 2.0 petrols as the plugs were like €100 worth alone.

Your car being less than 3 years old though CIP, your only due an oil and pollen filter or what mileage have you got?

This is what shows up for me online once I put in my reg. It is coming up to its 45k km service. At the 30k Km one it got oil and pollen filter. I figured I should give it a full one this time as otherwise it would be 60k Km before doing plugs and air filter which seems way too long ? Or else I suppose I could just get oil change and pay extra to get air filter as it doesn’t need a pollen filter but might be as well just to get the plugs done at 45k km.

Those prices look correct. "Classic" and "ultimate" services are applicable for cars over 4 years old and older.

Under that (while still in warranty) the services are worked out by mileage. At 45k you are only due an oil change, should be €194 (€169 + €25 2.0 tax). Plugs are due at 60k and engine air filter is due at 90k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

carsfan2 wrote: »

Same carsfan. Why would someone request such a thread to be deleted is what I'm wondering? It was just helpful advice given on the cars and nothing more.

Unless the missus found out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Wailin wrote: »
    Same carsfan. Why would someone request such a thread to be deleted is what I'm wondering? It was just helpful advice given on the cars and nothing more.

Unless the missus found out :D

I was beginning to think I had dreamt it!
    Certainly a fairly innocent thread to pull. there's a lot worse he could be doing on the internet!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement