Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Indian numbers must be the most sketchy on the list

Yep, they are not testing at all extensively, they don't have the capacity to, or the hospital beds for this, once it gets embedded in the community there they are in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,128 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GooglePlus wrote: »
    These restrictions sound great on paper but I was on lower Baggot St. yesterday and the place was bustling.

Went for a walk yesterday evening to Herbert Park and there was loads out. A Garda van was driving around the park but no interventions at all. Loads in threes and fours out kicking ball or just hanging out.

Well I live on lower Baggot St and the first part of your post is a complete lie.

It is quieter here than the quietest Sunday during the day, and practically deserted after business hours.

Bear in mind that this is one of the busiest streets in the entire country during the working week, it is all about relativity in terms of analysing the effect of the restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Relation of mine was taken away in an ambulance yesterday and tested positive for corona, seemingly he picked it up in Italy were he drives trucks, that's 4 cases in my town with 1 dead. A bit too close to home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭jackboy

Delays are due to an international shortage of reagents.

Any idea what country the reagent is manufactured in? Is there just one company producing the reagent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I wouldn’t trust them to tell you the time of day not to mind test results.

If we need more tests done quickly we should send some away if there is capacity somewhere else. Each batch could have known Positive/ negative control samples in them so that we could verify that those samples were correct. We could also send samples that have been split in to an A and B sample and then test our A sample when we have the capacity.This is what they do for drug tests for athletes.

The regime for testing is broken at the moment and we need to face up to that, it is a vital part of the fight against the pandemic. Testing means that we know where to target our resources and it means that we can get vital health care workers back into the system quicker when we know they are negative.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Testing was being carried out in 12 labs around the country and being ramped up on a daily basis until suppliers couldn't fulfil demand. That is not the fault of the government or the labs.

Even if results were turned around in 3 days people should still isolate for 14 days. Anyone with a fever, fatigue, chest tightness etc shouldn't be rushing back to work because they were negative.

And even if they are negative, we should all be isolating anyway. Not having the virus now doesnt mean you won't contract it next week.

Medical Scientists or clinical scientists carry out the tests in accredited laboratories. Some staff have been acquired to help with the pre-analytical processes but testing has to be performed by qualified personnel.

How long should someone be symptom free before returning to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

obi604 wrote: »
    I see Tony Holohan is in hospital - for something unrelated to Corona

Probably stress. Not surprised. Every day on the nations airwaves, high pressure stuff.

Hope he gets well soon. The weeks of non stop work must be taking their toll. Not a day goes by that hes not doing interviews somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Testing was being carried out in 12 labs around the country and being ramped up on a daily basis until suppliers couldn't fulfil demand. That is not the fault of the government or the labs.

Even if results were turned around in 3 days people should still isolate for 14 days. Anyone with a fever, fatigue, chest tightness etc shouldn't be rushing back to work because they were negative.

And even if they are negative, we should all be isolating anyway. Not having the virus now doesnt mean you won't contract it next week.

Medical Scientists or clinical scientists carry out the tests in accredited laboratories. Some staff have been acquired to help with the pre-analytical processes but testing has to be performed by qualified personnel.

Question Martina. If you don't have a positive covid 19 test result, can you apply for government assistance? Many people will be tempted to keep working if they haven't got a test result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

This is why I have been highlighting it as the number in ICU will be less, possibly much less than the numbers quoted.

They should be reporting the current figure but they are not.

Why do you think this is ? Incompetence or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

Hope he gets well soon. The weeks of non stop work must be taking their toll. Not a day goes by that hes not doing interviews somewhere.

Seen quotes on here yesterday that he held his chest and seemed to say he didnt feel well during the press conference

• Advertisement

poppers wrote: »
    Seen quotes on here yesterday that he held his chest and seemed to say he didnt feel well during the press conference

Yeah he did during the press conference.

RTE reporting hes in for tests, expected to be released tomorrow and deputy cmo Ronan Glynn will head up this evenings press conference.

Non covid related for the CMO they also say.

Dr.Tony Holohan is in hospital for tests after feeling unwell although it is being stated that it is not thought to be directly related to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yep, they are not testing at all extensively, they don't have the capacity to, or the hospital beds for this, once it gets embedded in the community there they are in big trouble.

Everyone is assuming that India and countries like it are going to be in big trouble. That not necessarily so. Many of the countries with poorly developed health systems tend to have much younger populations. It could be that they will be hit less hard than the more developed countries!

GooglePlus wrote: »
    These restrictions sound great on paper but I was on lower Baggot St. yesterday and the place was bustling.

Went for a walk yesterday evening to Herbert Park and there was loads out. A Garda van was driving around the park but no interventions at all. Loads in threes and fours out kicking ball or just hanging out.

So its ok for you to be out but everyone else should stay indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not a hope

I think there is every chance. There are two populations - those known to be infected and in hospital and those who are unknowns in lock-down. Anyone in lock-down who has the virus is very likely to pass it on to everyone else in the same household. If someone went into lock-down very soon after being infected, then worse case scenario is it won't present for 14 days, but realistically, the average is 4-5 days. So in a 4 person household, even with a very unlikely chain of infection from one person to another in sequence, 20 days would likely see it play out. A month is enough for the very unlikely scenario of a 14 day incubation then infection of another person where it again takes 14 days. So 28 days should cover it.

Obviously anyone developing a serious case in the lock-down population would be transferred to the hospital population.

So a month should allow for the lock-down to be lifted, but then you really would want to limit flights and have screening at airports and ferries. Schools could re-open, but realistically, you can scratch this year and might as well hold off until September and repeat the current year next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

So its ok for you to be out but everyone should stay indoors

We are all allowed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is why I have been highlighting it as the number in ICU will be less, possibly much less than the numbers quoted.

They should be reporting the current figure but they are not.

Could it be the advice from their pr people is to be debliberately vague about whether it is the current total or the total from the start of the outbreak?

So its ok for you to be out but everyone else should stay indoors

2km allowed for exercise, have you not heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Yeah he did during the press conference.

RTE reporting hes in for tests, expected to be released tomorrow and deputy cmo Ronan Glynn will head up this evenings press conference.

Non covid related for the CMO they also say.

Lest no forget he was on the late late with tubs Friday before last, he's been bouncing around so much it wouldn't shock me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

easypazz wrote: »
    We are all allowed out.

No, Over 70's and vulnerable people are asked not to go out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Akrasia wrote: »
    That has to be the most irresponsible article I have seen in a very long time. Its trying to spread a rumour that will cause panic buying of alcohol and could cause crowding in shops that could end up costing lives.

Utterly shameful

Have to agree, when tensions are running high, this was highly irresponsible.

cnocbui wrote: »
    2km allowed for exercise, have you not heard?

i have but why highlight that they met people when they were out as if it was an issue,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't think it would have.

Let's take Italy as an example.

If Irish skiers (which I think is where a lot of infections here have come from) in Italy were denied flights home they would have traveled him via another route, such as Austria, France or Switzerland. They would not have simply stayed in Italy.

These people probably went to Italy, caught the virus, and came home before even the first death in Italy.

Trumps stopped European flights with little impact.

The virus was already in the community here before any concerns about Italy or Spain were apparant.

According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ the first case in the USA was Jan 20th. There was no action by Trump at the time, except to say it was a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

lbj666 wrote: »
    Lest no forget he was on the late late with tubs Friday before last, he's been bouncing around so much it wouldn't shock me.

I never understood the need to drag him around to every media commitment apart from the daily briefing. The man has enough on his plate as it is.

lbj666 wrote: »

Well last night he was signaling towards more of the chest area.
    They've said it's not covid related anyway.

To be fair theres been alot of people around tubs, that night you mentioned for example they had figures from HSE, Gov and members of the ambulance service.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Everyone is assuming that India and countries like it are going to be in big trouble. That not necessarily so. Many of the countries with poorly developed health systems tend to have much younger populations. It could be that they will be hit less hard than the more developed countries!

I don't see that. Yes the population is younger on average but because of 1.3 billion people, or whatever it is, the sheer numbers of people likely to get it seriously and die are just huge - exceeding in number the entire populations of entire countries. The dead would number in the millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well I live on lower Baggot St and the first part of your post is a complete lie.

It is quieter here than the quietest Sunday during the day, and practically deserted after business hours.

Bear in mind that this is one of the busiest streets in the entire country during the working week, it is all about relativity in terms of analysing the effect of the restrictions.

It is not a lie, I was there between 1-2pm yesterday and the place was bustling, I couldn't get over it.

I was in the queue for Tesco, who in fairness to them are keeping strict distancing measures in place, and I had people walking by me every few seconds to the point that I felt uneasy.

The bunching of Deliveroo drivers and people collecting orders outside the likes of Boojum and that didn't help matters either.

It was far from a quiet Sunday anyway.

Could it be the advice from their pr people is to be debliberately vague about whether it is the current total or the total from the start of the outbreak?

If their PR people are advising them to be deliberately vague then they should be sacked for incompetence.

I never understood the need to drag him around to every media commitment apart from the daily briefing. The man has enough on his plate as it is.

Likewise, even after the daily press conference rte tend to have him on the 9 news and he basically repeats himself, I dont know what else they expect him to say.

Then by half 7 or 8 the next morning hes on morning Ireland. Between all of that and the work he has to do in the office and on the committees I dont know where he finds the time to sleep.

He must be exhausted at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

How many test are they doing at the moment do you know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement