Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

It looks very much like a surface contact cylinder stat but with a front cover, clipped on or held in place by the white spring cord. It might look like this if you slip it out from under the cord and lift the cover.

You can have a look if you wish, I'm fairly certain that is not a wireless temperature sender to the EPH controller, so you would be well set to replace the EPH controller and wireless stats with the Drayton Wiser Kit 3. You could still use Tado wireless, but you'd need a wire pair for one of the Tado stats back to the controller for one of the CH zones. If the controller was in the HP on a landing, then it's easy to site the upstairs wired stat outside the press, but if the controller is in a utility room downstairs, it would be more difficult to reach either stat by wire (unless this was already done in an older installation pre EPH ).

If you decide to fit smart TRVs on the radiators, the Tado (or Drayton) TRV heads are directly compatible with the M30x1.5 thread on the radiator valves, same as used by the Myson, so a minutes work to screw off the Myson and screw on the smart head Should you do this to most of your rads, then a single wireless stat can be used to treat your house as one zone, say in the downstairs hall, with individual smart TRV's turning on room zones, say living, kitchen, beds. This makes the Tado wireless kit an option without a second wired stat, and will give you finer control over heating, making some savings. Rooms with just the passive mechanical TRVs will heat whenever any of the smart TRVs or the main wireless stat has a timed event.

Have a good think, ask any more questions as you need. There's no subscription for Tado. There is an auto assist option that can be added for a couple of euro per month, but afaik all the smarts are already included, and it fully integrates with alexa, Google, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Thanks so much @deezell , you’re making this very easy for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

Looking for suggestions/advice on what to do with my heating system.

We bought a 5 bed bungalow (2000ish build) about 6 months ago which, to put it mildly, hasn’t got much in terms of the heating setup.

Alongside the general issues with control there are issues with some of the joints/valves in the hotpress weeping which means there is some plumbing work to do there anyway so not concerned about having to make changes. Being a bungalow there is also scope for wiring changes if necessary.

Heating is via an oil boiler (external Grant 110/140) attached to an open vented system. There are no thermostats anywhere only a simple 24H mechanical timer (Flash). There is one manual valve in the hotpress which allows for HW & heating or HW only (so only useable in summer really). All room heating & HW is in the one zone.

Incoming from the boiler is split to the cylinder coil, bathroom radiator and then to heating via a T in the floor – given it’s orientation it suggests this is to separate front & back radiator loops (though I have no way of being sure).

The cylinder is a smallish dual coil. At some point there was an additional heat source, likely a back boiler stove, but that’s no longer there and some of the pipework has been removed/covered.

I’m looking to put some manners on it as there’s no way of providing HW separately (unless all heating is off) or controlling temperature around the house and, like most houses, there are only ever a few rooms in use at any given time.

In the future we will probably change the heating away from oil though to what I’m unsure. There’s other work to be done to the house before we can go that route though – the house is reasonably easy to get to temperature and holds ok. For now I’m thinking the best approach is to introduce control.

My thoughts were to look firstly at splitting to 3 zones (HW / Front / Back) with boiler governed by the zone valves so will switch on when any of the zone valves are activated.

Heating control would be via smart TRVs in each room to effectively make each room a sub-zone of one of the master zones. Each of the radiator TRVs would call for heat based off independent timer/temperature settings activating it’s master zone valve. This would allow for room by room configuration while minimising amount of system water being heated/circulated each time the boiler is required if, for example, only a single room in play.

HW would be controlled by a timer with tank stat before the zone valve.

Open to other suggestions on how to do this – it’s a fairly blank slate atm.

Any system/component recommendations for this? It should work on a per room timed (7 day) & temperature level. Ideally, whatever controls used should have a simple boost/override too. For the size of our system it’ll probably be quite an expensive setup but should yield savings.

If you install sufficient smart TRV's, you won't need two zone valves, as the TRV's are effectively individual motorised valves. It may be useful though to place a motorised valve where the HW only summer valve is, as this valve will close off all CH, except the bath radiator on the HW branch. A second zone valve on the cylinder coil inlet will give independent CH and HW, and provide the zone valve relays for S-plan wiring, which allows either switching live, HW or CH, from your timed controller, to be combined into one live to fire the boiler.

That timed controller can be one of many smart brands that support CH and HW relays, and also integrated smart TRV's, whereby any smart will instruct the main CH thermostat relay to fire the boiler, or open the CH zone valve, whose relay fires the boiler.

Right now there is great value in smart starter kits, wireless wall thermostat, receiver with CH and HW relay, and Internet bridge/hub. The Tado wireless kit is in Screwfix, a bargain at €110, (black stat kit €105)

A pack of 4 TRVs is €230 for the premium model, €200 for the economy model. You should invest in the starter kit and two backs of TRVs, you'll have all you need for almost complete zoning. You don't need trvs on every rad, mostly the ones you are most likely to exclude when heating. Halll and corridor rads generally will be on for all heating calls.

There are other smart brands which do exactly the same, namely Drayton wiser and Hive, the Hive mini starter kit is also well priced in Screwfix.

Your plumbing outlay can be as little as two zone valves in the CH and HW circuits, a simple job as the branches are easily accessed. Your radiators probably don't have mechanical TRV valve heads, so the radiator valves will need to be changed to the push pin TRV type if they're the ordinary screw down type. These valves are little over a fiver trade, and a plumber could change them all in a day.

The disconnected stove boiler is a different prospect. Boiler stoves are not cheap, and purchased stove fuel, timber or nuggets, is now as expensive per kwh of heat as oil, with all the extra taxes applied. If you have a source of timber, a boiler stove is a great asset. Integration into a valved CH system require careful blending of the heat sources in a manifold, with a gravity connection for the stove to a HW coil at least. You could spend several thousand to get this right. It might be better to install a non boiler wood stove, which will give out tremendous heat for modest fuel consumption,while not interfering with the main thermostat controlled CH system.

Post edited by deezell on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

Wiser TRVs have 34% off at the moment on Amazon. I've been looking to pick up 11 of these for ages but couldn't justify it at normal price. They're down to €38 now.

If buying more than 4 split your order so you don't get hit with import fees.

https://amzn.eu/d/ioMkCj3

Excellent. I see they're sold in Germany under the Merten brand, about €44. Individual additional wiser wall stats are only €43.60 on Amazon.de .

I'm assuming these can be used as sensor stats for more accurate TRV reading, they're about €114 in Screwfix.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

Got directed here from the bargain alerts forum. I've been waiting for the black friday deals before getting smart TRV's. I'm in a 3 bed semi detached, 2 zones CH and HW. Wired thermostat in the hall and a surface contact cylinder stat. Currently have a Danfoss FP/CP715-Si programmer. The main reason for changing is to have a constant warm temperature at night in the babys bedroom.

Trying to decide between Tado V3, Drayton wiser and Hive. Any recommendations would be welcome, thanks.

Tado smart stats and TRVs are fantastic value at the moment in Screwfix. The wireless starter kit controller/receiver is a wire in replacement for your Danfoss, with the wireless thermostat giving you the flexibility to place it anywhere, hall or livingroom, without the worry of running cables. CHand HW timing move to the app, with infinite flexibility for CH timing/temperature schedules.

Hive and Drayton present a similar setup scenario, Drayton TRVs are real value on Amazon at the moment, the Wiser kit 2 for CH and HW not so well priced. I would consider the Tado premium TRVs superior to the Drayton or Hive TRVs, the Tado economy TRVs are closer by comparison. There are advantages in buying local over the counter also, in terms of ease of warranty handling.

All smart TRVs heads will need existing TRV valve bodies on the radiators, if your rads don't already have mechanical TRVs fitted, but only have the ordinary twist tap style valves, these will need replacing with TRVs push pin valve bodies to take the TRV smart heads.

Firstly, thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

Any reason I couldn't/shouldn't move the bathroom radiator into the heating zone? There will always be at least one valve/loop open to fire the boiler once this work is done.

I know about changing the valve bodies on the radiators - not a big job as you say.

TBH I was already thinking that the stove setup would be too much of a pain & expense. We would have to buy fuel for that so not worth trying to reinstate it.

Would the Wiser/Merten be better kit if I can get a decent deal on it these days? One thing I like is the ability to use their plugs to extend range in case of issues with the many block walls/distance.

• Advertisement

With the S plan and 2 zone valves you won't have a situation that requires an open radiator, that's really only an issue if you had a boiler stove which has unregulated supply of heat.

If you place the HW zone valve directly on the flow of the cylinder coil, then even when HW zone valve is closed, the bathroom radiator is connected to flow, so any boiler call for CH will heat this rad. You can put a smart TRV on it also, it will call the boiler via opening of the CH zone valve. though it is located in 'front' of the CH valve, this won't matter. If there is no CH activity, all radiators behind the CH valve won't heat, even those which don't have smart TRV's, so you don't need full implementation of smart TRVs to ensure no heating radiators during a HW only call, say in the summer. By having a smart TRV on the bathroom rad, this will ensure it also doesn't heat during a HW only call.

I agree on the stove issue, and fitting a TRV valve body to every radiator is worth the effort even if you only fit smart TRVs on a selection of them. If you locate the wall stat in the hall, you generally wouldn't put a smart TRV on the hall rad(s) as the stat will need to heat them to close the loop. If you do place TRVs on the rads in the wall stat location, you assign this stat as the temperature measuring device for these rads, not their own smart TRV's sensor.Thus these TRVs act only as motorised valve. You will be able to cap temperature with mechanical TRV heads on the other rads, i.e., they'll heat for any smart TRV boiler call. but limited to the setting of their mechanical TRV head.

You'll have to make that call on brand, cost and versatility yourself. You can see my opinions on TRV quality and point of purchase in my previous answer to @dropzone. The availability of additional devices such as smart plugs, and boosters may be an issue. I have no issues with Tado TRVs either end of a 2200 sq ft bungalow with all block internal walls, Tado support are particularly good at remote analysis and tweaking of connected devices. The Tado bridge is ethernet cable connected, and can be situated away from the router to optimise the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hi folks.

Question about zoning and smart stats.

I had a Wiser setup in old house and that house was already zoned (4 zones....1water x3 zones)

Wiser hub has 1,2 and 3 channel so on that setup I had the two bedroom zones wired to the one channel.

That didn't matter much as you can create "virtual zones" so to speak in Wiser and pair smart stats to them.

So onto my question, new house (not yet moved into) is not zoned, nor does it have rad trvs. I still have the Wiser bits and bobs from old house (put the Ember sh*te back in)

Is it worth while having the plumber zone the house while adding the trv valves?

I figered physically shutting off long runs of pipework (zones) would be worthwhile or am I good to use use smart trvs?

Lastly, I do intend to get on the solar game (PV panels) where I can dump excess to the water tank

Is Wiser suited for that?

Thanks in advance!

Last question first, PV heating of HW is done via the immersion, so once it heats the cylinder to target temperature, the cylinder stat which would be fitted in a zoned system with a HW zone, would open and prevent any call for heat during a HW timed event, from whatever system you have, wiser, Tado etc.

If this is a newly plumbed house, the cost of fitting trv valve bodies instead of twist valves is trivial, but if you already have the twist valves on, a plumber would swap out a houseful in a day. Trv valve bodies only maybe €5-6 trade, labour the biggest cost.

With zone valves, it depends on if the single zone plumbing is already in. It may not be easy to get a clean split on the pipe circuits into say, bedrooms and reception rooms. If you go full smart TRV, it doesn't matter. There's no penalty in closing the flow at the rads, but not at the flow inlet.

You don't mention HW, if you have a cylinder or direct HW, and if a cylinder, is it's coil on a seperate circuit before the CH branches, or is it on the same circuit tapped somewhere in the middle, as can happen in very old or homebrew installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

just In the middle of a full house reno. We are getting a gas combi boiler with two central heating zones (upstairs and downstairs). Looking to get a smart thermostat and controls. Can anyone make any recommendations on a product? Assuming I need two TRVs to control the central heating zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Okay great, thanks deezell. I think I was on the same line of thought as you re PV so that's reassuring.

No, house is 100+ years old but with contemporary extension and upgrades etc

If I recall it's straight forward oil burner with one back boiler stove (gravity fed I guess, I'm not a plumber!) with I think 15 rads overall.

I'll def get the trv vales fitted, take the hit on the labour. I'm handy enough but when it comes to plumbing I tend to opt out.

The intent is to go full smart trvs so I'll not bother with zoning based on your recommendation.

Re the cylinder, I expect it's a two coil copper job so I'll prob get that replaced anyway for a more modern one.

Had a Joule 300ltr x3 coil in the old place (had oil, stove and solar tubes for water as heat sources)

Forgive any mistakes above, I'm a layman!)

Yet to move in so I'm just doing some groundwork.

As always, thanks Deezell, you make the forum tbh

TRVs are Thermostatic Radiator Valves, one per rad, simple mechanical ones, or electrical operated ones with wireless connection.

Zones are a collection of Radiators in a distinct area, e.g, Upstairs. Downstairs. You'll need two zone thermostats to control the motorised pipe valve for each zone. These would normally be placed in either the hall or livingroom downstairs, and the landing or master bedroom upstairs.

Within any zone you can have TRVs on the individual rads to give finer toom control. The thermostats and TRV's can be cheap mechanical ones, or Internet connected electronic smart ones.

If there are no existing wired thermostats, and you can't easily get wiring to the upstairs and downstairs thermostat locations (shouldn't be too difficult during a renovation), you can use wireless stats, which connect to a receiver which will be wired to the zone valves. If wiring to the stat locations is possible, The Tado wired stats are ideal. You'd need a wired starter kit stat and Internet bridge device) plus an additional wired stat (same bridge does both).

For a two stat no HW system with no wiring available, two wireless Hive thermostats and receivers, connected to the zone valves, and for Internet and app connection, a hive HubR Internet hub device. Similarly if you chose a Drayton wiser system, you need the kit 3, receiver and two wireless stats. The kit three receiver has wiring for two thermostats, plus a HW relay which won't be required.

I'd probably recommend the hive for your setup, one CH only stat with receiver and hub kit, and one hubless CH stat and receiver kit. You only need one hub.

Phew. This thread getting busy all of a sudden.

WINTER IS COMING

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

An extra thermostat is tempting aswell. Do you know if the Merten brand will integrate into the Drayton Hub ok?

If It looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck.... it's a, Wiser. Its made by Schneider. While wiser uses Zigbee, "All the Wiser TRVs and the Room Stat uses a manufacturer specific Zigbee cluster with proprietary communication" according to this discussion. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/drayton-wiser-home-assistant-integration/80965/980?page=49

At that amazon.de price its worth a punt I suppose, I'm not even familiar with how it's set up as a sensor and paired to a particular receiver for firing of the boiler, but I presume thats all taken care of in the wiser app. I see they sell it on the site in a bundle with a TRV and a receiver relay, but a different small black one that's also described as an electric window blind actuator. I can see the appeal of using wiser parts in the Home Assistant integration setups that the guys in that blog enthuse about, but I'm loath to go down the rabbit hole much as it tempts me. I'll stick with changing The TV channel/volume with Google Home on my phone because the remote is over on her chair and I'd have to move to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

That’s great thanks. If I only have one wired in connection in the hall downstairs, could that control the HW and 2 zones and then maybe add smart TRVs in the future to specific rooms?

• Advertisement

If you have two plumbed CH zones, seperated by motorised valves, then ir would be a shame not to have two thermostats to control them. The wireless kits are great value at the moment. If you have an existing wired thermostat back to the boiler, that can be used for a wired smart stat such as Tado. This can be used to switch both zones, nit you can get an additional wireless stat, receiver and Internet bridge for little over €100, so that kit, plus and extra add on wired stat will give you a 2 CH and HW smart system. You said though you're getting a combi boiler, which delivers HW direct to the taps on demand, so you won't have a HW cylinder or need a HW zone. You should clarify that with your plumber doing the upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Buck250

Hi

I have an Eph R37HW boiler control system and was hoping to replace it with the tado starter pack. There are 2 heating zones and the boiler heats the hot water too. Can i replace the EPH with tado?

Looked on tado site and they say I can't.

Thks

The eph provides timing for the three zones, CH1,CH2 and HW. I presume these are independent, using motorised valves so you can have HW only, and either CH without the HW heating. Are there also wall thermostats for the two CH zones, or is the only control of CH by time slots.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it's exactly as you say. If the HW is on then the CH is off but I can have both CH zones on at same time when HW not on.

There is a wall wired thermostat for each zone (2 in total).

So my thinking was to replace the eph unit so that I could control timing of HW and CH from the phone and also to replace the 2 walled thermostats with tado wirless thermostats. Then get tado valves for a good few of the rads.

Will that work? Acccording to their app Tado say my system not compatible with their receiver.

Tado receiver can only manage one wireless stat, but because you have wired wall stats you can replace one or both with wired Tado.

Option 1, Tado wired starter kit and additional wired stat, simple drop in replacement for the old wall stats. You leave the EPH with the CH zones set to always on. The EPH continues to provide HW timing.

Option 2. You replace the EPH with the receiver of the Tado wireless kit. This connects to CH1 and HW terminal wires. The wireless stat can be placed anywhere with the existing CH1 stat either turned up fully, or removed and with it's internal control wires, (timer live in and switched live out) joined together and taped up.

The old CH2 stat is replaced by an additional wired stat as per option 1, and back at the Tado receiver, it's controller wire for CH2 from the old EPH is now connected to the permanent live supply going into the Tado receiver. Thus you have one wireless CH, one wired CH and HW control.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Bit of a review as I stumbled across this thread. I went with Drayton Wiser a few years ago. All the rads with smart thermostat(apart from bathrooms).

Do they work? yes has to be the answer. App is really easy to set up but I did try having multiple setup's for different rooms and it got a bit messy but probably because I didn't spend enough time setting it up

I did find I had to buy a couple of plugs to get a decent signal around the house but I live in a bungalow. After that it really has been setup and forget. You do need. decent supply of batteries. They don't recommend reuseable ones and when I tried they would run down very quickly. The standard ones probably get changed twice a year in the TRV's. Once for the ones not really used to turn up/down heating

Thanks a million for that. I'll get hold of the hardware but might be back to confirm the wiring configuration. Really appreciated.

Post a pic of the wall stat and eph. If you can, remove stat cover get a pic of the wiring. Pop the EPF off and get a pic of its backplate wiring also.

• Advertisement

Sorry just one other question before I take the plunge on Tado. I can see a good few threads on their forum about it. We've had issues with Wifi before I got a second router and I'm concerned that Tado's bridge will not send signal to all parts of the house. As I understand it you can only have one bridge per house.

Did anyone have any issues with Tado's range?

Is there a way to test it?

Advertisement