Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Same as my gym they let me take some equipment home safe to say I won't be cancelling my membership anytime soon.
    Im 100% greatfull and offered some money as a deposit they would have none of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah the owner of my gym let us take barbells, plates, medicine balls, kettlebells, rowing machines etc. home with us. Basically anything we wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

God how we took training for granted!:o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am dying to get back into the gym swimming pool.

Can't borrow it from the gym :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Luckily my brother bought those Lidl weights last year. They're a godsend. They're a bit to light for him, but perfect for me.

I will be a bit reluctant to go to the gym when they reopen. They're filthy places at the best of times.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    how much can you fit onto them if you had a few sets ?

You could fit 4/5 plates on each size, but not comfortably. If you're doing any overhead movements or hamstring curls, they will start to slide after have a few reps. We have to watch each other and catch them beforehand. If you doing arms or rows, etc they will be fine.

They're not the best dumbells in the world. They're are cheap, and allow you to do some exercise, which is something in this current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just looked at it. 10.5kg but a bizarre collection of plates according to their website: 2 x 1kg, 2 x 1.25kg, 2 x 2kg, 1 x 1.95kg.

the 1.95kg is the handle! (if thats the odd one you spot) the locks are probably the extra 50grams.

Most come with these 0.5 and 0.25g weights but I would like these larger ones.

I do not like those clamp things though, rules out lots of stuff. I have those clips one a tricep and ezcurl bar, but its OK for them.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/home-fitness/10-5kg-dumbbell-set/p40607
    311271.jpg
    If you have 2 sets you can load up one to be heavier and just use 1 arm at a time. You can see how they sit inside each other, so you would load up a 2kg, 1.25kg, 2kg so the 1.25kg is sandwiched in the middle, this will save on space sitting in the indent. Another 1.25kg might be loaded on first so it sits inside the first 2kg plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rubadub wrote: »
    the 1.95kg is the handle! (if thats the odd one you spot) the locks are probably the extra 50grams.

Ah hah...the handle of course.

Ah hah...the handle of course.
    my first thought was that they asked the supplier for plates and they said "we are nearly sold out, everybody wants them, but we do have these dodgy miscast ones that ended up just below 2kg, they are to be remelted but you can have them"

but then I spotted it was a single item, and knew that mine are about 2kg.

They should make it clear though!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    my first thought was that they asked the supplier for plates and they said "we are nearly sold out, everybody wants them, but we do have these dodgy miscast ones that ended up just below 2kg, they are to be remelted but you can have them"

but then I spotted it was a single item, and knew that mine are about 2kg.

They should make it clear though!

Haha yeah it did sound like they lashed a few seconds into the mix.

Not sure how I didn't cop it was the handle when it's only a single item in the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

mengele wrote: »

at least thats a proper brand and proper steel, dunno what they usually sell for but that brand is pricey
    https://www.strengthwear.us/collections/bars-1

on amazon they are selling these crappy bags you fill with water to make plates. They are averaging around £45 for a "20kg dummbell set" when the cast iron sets are usually less.

Some chancing their arm looking for hundreds, I guess they just hope some millionaire idiot make a mistake or something.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=20kg+dumbbell+water&s=price-desc-rank&qid=1587244403&ref=sr_st_price-desc-rank

they are on ebay too.
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xdumbbell+water.TRS0&_nkw=dumbbell+water&_sacat=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I would love gyms back asap. Its incredibly good for peoples physical health but for many people their mental health.

But I dont see how they could. Off peak times my gym is really empty. I love it, maybe 5 other people there and never a full class. But come peak times and there wouldnt be a free piece of equipment.
    It would need strict enforcement.

Before mine closed they had limited people allowed on the floor, all classes ran at 50% and already members were
    Pubs should be the absolute last to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I reckon gyms will be one of the last to open considering everyone can get their exercise by other means and gyms are condensed sweat factories.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I reckon gyms will be one of the last to open considering everyone can get their exercise by other means and gyms are condensed sweat factories.

Could measures be implemented such as only a certain amount of members can train per hour. Have one hour slots available and must be booked in advance

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Could measures be implemented such as only a certain amount of members can train per hour. Have one hour slots available and must be booked in advance

It won't be up to gyms when they can reopen. They will reopen as soon as they are allowed to. The extent of the measures they employ after that is anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They'd have to have that number of people per hour very low for it to be effective and that wouldn't be good business for them.

The equipment and workout areas would need to be properly disinfected after each use, along with the changing rooms/showers.

From a government stand point, it'll be way down on their list, I think.

I started insanity (had done it a few years back) a few weeks back for the laugh, I'm actually tightening up nicely and my cardio is at an all time high, home workouts aren't all bad but I do miss the social aspect of the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They will open before Christmas............ but not sure which Christmas

Slava Ukrainii

Minime2.5 wrote: »

Given up on buying a bench? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I have a feeling that gyms are going to suffer in the long run. A lot of people are getting used to training from home and have invested in expensive equipment. I can see some gyms closing unfortunately.

Hopefully if gyms can reopen on a limited capacity basis, it includes their pools where they exist.

Hopefully if gyms can reopen on a limited capacity basis, it includes their pools where they exist.
    Am dying to get back into the gym swimming pool.

Can't borrow it from the gym :(
    Most of the chains have frozen annual memberships.

Dying for a swim but agree it will be a while :(

Your dying for a swim Sheep Shagger :D

Your dying for a swim Sheep Shagger :D

Absolutely:(

Absolutely:(

A sheep dip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Some people won’t go back but they will be a minority I think
    How many people will be over eating and doing feck all during this time and need to lose weight, then you have people that need motivation and classes also, I’m the gym I use there is a massive social element too where you see the same faces daily and have a chat
    Some gyms have people that sign up for a monthly membership and never even go and feel guilty about cancelling

This is what I’ve been thinking about for a while too, when they reopen it’ll be like the first week of January all over again. And as you say with the amount of people eating and drinking out of boredom, it’ll be like the New Years resolutioners x1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

As someone who works in a gym:

nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I really miss the gym, miss the classes too.
    But how they reopen will depend on my return. If its restricted times, no classes I dont think id bother. They have paused all memberships for now. I have some equipment at home and would imagine as the weeks go on ordering more will become easier.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

10th August according to government roadmap, but obviously subject to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭caviardreams

gp1990 wrote: »
    10th August according to government roadmap, but obviously subject to change

And subject to social distancing and hygiene standards etc. so tough to implement perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

this will put so many small gyms out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

Knew it was gonna be a while but seeing it official is gutting tbh.

this will put so many small gyms out of business

The small ones (crossfit types, small group training) would be better able to do social distancing I would have thought, and can stagger people / book them in in sessions etc., ramp up PT etc. I think it's the low price, commercials that will really struggle. Social distancing will just be unenforceable - I can't see them being able to open until a few months post vaccine and social distancing (hopefully!) goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

more details at https://www.corkchamber.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Roadmap-for-Reopening_May_01.pdf

looks like in phase 4 (20 July) some sports can start training together and swimming pools open. i can imagine some gyms can open then

With social distancing, numbers inside the gym at a given time are going to have to be strictly controlled. The only real way to ensure this is to tweak their membership options (and cutting member numbers).

Maybe a new model would be to enforce members to choose certain time periods per week where they will attend, so all hourly periods in the gym are limited to X members? Dunno how they will control demand for the peak times though... you could have hundreds looking for 6pm each evening...

Am guessing some of the more 'gimmicky' machines will be removed and some serious refits done to ensure more floor space.

Dressing rooms limited to only a few people, with members encouraged to turn up togged out and to shower at home. Class sizes limited also

Lots of changes will be needed but I suppose there's a few months to plan...

Am guessing no matter what happens social distancing will be basically impossible to adhere to 100%, but by looking at the restrictions due to be lifted in 'stage 5' most are not at all conducive to social distancing (contact sports are mentioned to return at this time) so am guessing the government are accounting for this, and stage 5 won't be implemented until there's extremely few cases nationwide, so risk of spread from 30 odd in a gym is basically zero. To be honest they'll probably be hoping many of the public won't be comfortable visiting pubs, gyms etc until treatment/vaccine

What do people think about gyms actually reopening from a business perspective?

How many dormant users will have canceled their payments?

• Advertisement

It's not looking good. No gym can make social distancing a reality let's be honest. Many congratulations will suffer badly. 3 more months with no membership fees and the rent etc due. It does not look good

I can't see them being able to open until a few months post vaccine and social distancing (hopefully!) goes.

Gyms will be open a long time before any vaccine. Noises about a vaccine possibly being ready for limited use by end of 2020. So a long time before widely available even if they did manage that.

I can see some gyms being able to set up to provide distancing but many can't and they'll just set up token measures that will be largely pointless

What a lot of people dont realise (I think) is that people are going to get the virus, even with social distancing.

The purpose of social distancing is to try and slow it down so hospitals are not overwhelmed.

Gyms and other businesses will reopen, yes they'll change their setups but the economy has to restart well before a vaccine is found (could easily be 2021). While that happens some people will get the virus and unfortunately some will die in the process.

What a lot of people dont realise (I think) is that people are going to get the virus, even with social distancing.

The purpose of social distancing is to try and slow it down so hospitals are not overwhelmed.

Gyms and other businesses will reopen, yes they'll change their setups but the economy has to restart well before a vaccine is found (could easily be 2021). While that happens some people will get the virus and unfortunately some will die in the process.

Yes but minimum August 10th if we have to take no steps back. Gyms run off monthly membership and personal trainers renting their space and running their own PT sessions. None of which are happening, how are they paying the bills? It does not look good for them

A lot of gyms have frozen memberships. Some people may cancel.
    Any gyms that can hold out will be hoping on a load of people holding onto those memberships. It's possible that people's perceptions will have changed in the next 13 weeks and people nervous about the idea won't be when the time comes.

There will be plenty of people wanting to use gyms that will make many if them viable. Some wont be able to take the hit between now and then though, more's the pity

Yes but minimum August 10th if we have to take no steps back. Gyms run off monthly membership and personal trainers renting their space and running their own PT sessions. None of which are happening, how are they paying the bills? It does not look good for them

I'd imagine they're doing as other businesses are and not paying rent and staff are accessing the state welfare support in an effort to cut expenses to the bone while memberships are frozen (no income).

Think some of the smaller ones could certainly close, the bigger chains might have deeper pockets, how deep those need to be though is the question.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they're doing as other businesses are and not paying rent and staff are accessing the state welfare support in an effort to cut expenses to the bone while memberships are frozen (no income).

Think some of the smaller ones could certainly close, the bigger chains might have deeper pockets, how deep those need to be though is the question.

Yes the rent freeze and staff furloughs (Plus some staff might be self-employed PTs etc.) should help a bit anyway.

I think people do realise social distancing is just a "damage limitation" mechanism - some gyms don't have great ventilation which won't help either. It's also the number of high contact surfaces in a gym too. I think a lot does depend on how the next 3 months go, if things go well and number drop to minimal levels it changes things I think. If there's still a good bit of it around it might be a different story.

I just think that the fact the likes of flyefit closed up straight away (when others like westwood etc. stayed open) because they said they could not control social distancing to any extent means it may be unworkable for some that are running the "get as many members/bodies in as possible at low prices" model - that said they have time to plan and put things in place and possibly increase membership fees etc. also which they didn't have before, which is a big help I am sure. I can see changing rooms being completely closed (at least initially) and the like.

I never thought I would see the day when my priority is a haircut over the gym though!! :pac::pac:

Most gyms will be ok business-wise going forward

With Covid in general, very few businesses will actually have to close fully in the short-term given the lights are off, they don't have to pay staff and there are government supports

Where the real business issues with Covid will arise is - ironically in a sense - when the economy gets back up and running. General consumer confidence will be low and business-to-business markets will take an absolute hammering. However in a B2C service model like gyms there will always be enough demand to generate substantial revenue month-on-month. There will need to be cost cutting in many cases though to generate profits.

Looking at demand going forward you can probably loosely segment gym goers into the serious 5-6 a week attendees, the casual 2/3 a week attendees, those that might go a handful of times a month, and those that rarely if ever attend after January. As well as that there are some who go for 'social' reasons like attending classes or with friends, and those that only go to attend classes. The more dedicated attendees and those that only attend for classes will be the most likely to renew membership when the time comes. The other segments may take a bit of work to persuade back in the door
    I can see changing rooms being completely closed (at least initially) and the like.

Can't see them fully closing changing rooms - members still need to access the toilet, access to wash their hands, to potentially tend to any accidents where they might be bleeding perhaps, and to leave any valuables in a locker

I'd imagine members will just be encouraged to use them as little as they can, if possible

Gyms won't re-open though until the number of new cases day-on-day is minimal, they're alongside the likes of contact sports and nightclubs - the government aren't naive enough to think social distancing can be fully adhered to in these environments, so even within the gym there will be give and take.

August is a long time anyway, and to be honest its extremely likely it'll be longer than the initial suggested date

It's possible that people's perceptions will have changed in the next 13 weeks and people nervous about the idea won't be when the time comes.

100 times this

Its actually not really practical at present to be speculating on demand when gyms re-open, because there will be a huge shift in people's attitudes as time goes on

Right now we are in the apparent (and hopefully) peak of the virus - its easy to be extremely anxious overall and to look at things like gyms and pubs as a complete non-runner

A lot will change in a few months, and when we're hopefully only seeing a relative few new cases a day April and May will be long forgotten by many lets be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

The gym I am joined to have a wipe down policy with alcohol wipes provided all over the place and it’s usually quiet in the morning since a super gym opened up nearby but the cardio machines are all lined up together so it’s going to be tricky to sort that out

I thought my gym was doing a good enough job with implementing measures before the shutdown. There was a strict wipe down policy, benches were well spaced apart and every second cardio machine was taped off.

The gym was therapy for me and seeing equipment so jacked up in price/unavailable at the moment is disheartening.

sp00k wrote: »
    I thought my gym was doing a good enough job with implementing measures before the shutdown. There was a strict wipe down policy, benches were well spaced apart and every second cardio machine was taped off.

The gym was therapy for me and seeing equipment so jacked up in price/unavailable at the moment is disheartening.

Order from China

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement