Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier league 2020

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I will go so far to say, I personally would rather watch the Euro tour (which i am watching right now, that watch the masters, CLoD, World Series, world Cup or the Premier League. I prefer ranking darts to invitational glorified exbos.

Agreed on all these bar the World Cup. I don't watch any of them bar the World Cup as at least the format is different and interesting.

I get that World Series is there to promote the sport around the world but does anybody really think it does that?

The Champions League and Masters are literally pointless, they don't even have an interesting formats to set them apart. These two should definitely be scrapped with a new ranking tournament in their place. Perhaps a set play tournament where it's first to 2 legs for a set, something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Where have I said smith is one of the best in the world ? I said he is in the top 10 rankings. Are you incapable of even grasping the difference still ? I never said he was one of the best in the world, .In fact I said on here numerous times smith is vastly over rated.
    This is another lie by you in your zest to complain just for the sake of it.

The best players in the world are those that win the ranking majors
    . like price, mvg, ando, wade, dimitri, cross, gurney , wright etc.
    Not the players incapable of winning ranking majors like smith, white, durrant , cullen chizzy.

How can a player who has never won a ranking major be in the top 5 in the world ?
    Are you going to keep dodging this very simple question ?
    So, Peter Wright has been pretty consistently in the top 5 for a number of years but only relatively recently won his first major (Is the UK Open even still considered a major?)

Are you saying that Peter Wright was not one of the best players in the world prior to this; but when he won the UK Open, there was a sudden epiphany and overnight he did become one of the best players in the world?

Ludicrous. But that seems to be what you are saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Degag wrote: »
    So, Peter Wright has been pretty consistently in the top 5 for a number of years but only relatively recently won his first major (Is the UK Open even still considered a major?)

Are you saying that Peter Wright was not one of the best players in the world prior to this; but when he won the UK Open, there was a sudden epiphany and overnight he did become one of the best players in the world?

Ludicrous. But that seems to be what you are saying.

if you actually read my posts , it was a combination of multiple factors.
    winning ranking majors is obviously an integral part, but so is consistency in ranking events like floor champs, euro tours etc so that you would be high up in the Pro tour order of merit.

I also stated reaching finals of ranking events, did you ignore that as well.?

The UK Open is a ranking major, in fact it was one of the 4 big ranking majors, alongside the Worlds, Matchplay, and Grand Prix.
    Peter Wright even why he was struggling to cross the line was reaching ranking finals, and semi finals at a prolific rate, a rate far better than what durrant is doing.

That is why Wright was in the top ten order of merit, what he was in the top ten pro tour order of merit and as said has reached ranking finals.

Durrant has not reached any final in ranking majors, and because of that, he is not in the top ten order of merit or top ten protour order of merit.

These are genuine facts, why you and others insist on denying them shows how biased ye are.

If Glen wins the grand slam for arguments sake, then he would clearly be a top player, and the ranking s would reflect that.
    My issue was we were told almost 2 years ago durrant is the best in the world, just because he played in the BDO.

prior to last night he played 22 staged events from euro tours to ranking majors and failed to reach a single final, spin that whatever way you like, but that is not the form of a player supposedly top 4 in the world.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Agreed on all these bar the World Cup. I don't watch any of them bar the World Cup as at least the format is different and interesting.

I get that World Series is there to promote the sport around the world but does anybody really think it does that?

The Champions League and Masters are literally pointless, they don't even have an interesting formats to set them apart. These two should definitely be scrapped with a new ranking tournament in their place. Perhaps a set play tournament where it's first to 2 legs for a set, something different.

James Wade is among my favorite players, and when john McDonald introduces him as a 9 time Major champion i shake my head., because he does not have 9 majors.

They count the Unibet Masters, the Premier League, and the world Series among his majors, they are not majors, as they are all invitational.
    I would go as far as to say Wades European championship is not a major but a secondary event.

For me the Majors have to be non invitational, and ranking.

So The Worlds, The Grand Prix, the Matchplay, and the UK Open.

Some now consider the Grand Slam a major, and although it only recently gained ranking status, it is still invitational to the bdo so thats 50/50, and until the bdo are flung out it wont ever be a true Major as majors should not have invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I'd agree Sky and Mardle overhype the Premier League even called it a triple crown event. The triple crown is Worlds, Matchplay and Grand Prix in my view.

• Advertisement

if you actually read my posts , it was a combination of multiple factors.
    winning ranking majors is obviously an integral part, but so is consistency in ranking events like floor champs, euro tours etc so that you would be high up in the Pro tour order of merit.

I also stated reaching finals of ranking events, did you ignore that as well.?

The UK Open is a ranking major, in fact it was one of the 4 big ranking majors, alongside the Worlds, Matchplay, and Grand Prix.
    Peter Wright even why he was struggling to cross the line was reaching ranking finals, and semi finals at a prolific rate, a rate far better than what durrant is doing.

That is why Wright was in the top ten order of merit, what he was in the top ten pro tour order of merit and as said has reached ranking finals.

Durrant has not reached any final in ranking majors, and because of that, he is not in the top ten order of merit or top ten protour order of merit.

These are genuine facts, why you and others insist on denying them shows how biased ye are.

If Glen wins the grand slam for arguments sake, then he would clearly be a top player, and the ranking s would reflect that.
    My issue was we were told almost 2 years ago durrant is the best in the world, just because he played in the BDO.

prior to last night he played 22 staged events from euro tours to ranking majors and failed to reach a single final, spin that whatever way you like, but that is not the form of a player supposedly top 4 in the world.

I try to read your posts, like most other people here but it's slightly difficult to engage with you when you pull "facts" out of your arse to suit your agenda.

paulie21 wrote: »
    I'd agree Sky and Mardle overhype the Premier League even called it a triple crown event. The triple crown is Worlds, Matchplay and Grand Prix in my view.

Cannot argue with that,

The Premier League is major in terms of money, major in terms of exposure, but it cannot compete with ranking tournament in the greater scheme.

You only have to look at Barney, he skipped ranking events like the euro tour, players champs, which meant he never qualified for the european champs and players champs, then plummeted down the rankings.

He got money and exposure in the PL but inevitably it was no good to his career, as the ranking are vastly import.

Ando is doing the same, he has not done euro tours since his sulk a couple of years ago, and he will start tumbling down the rankings, and if the worlds is held outside the uk and he does not attend, he could end up outside the top 20..

Likewise with Durrant, he has done very good in his first 2 years, and should get in the top 10 before he starts defending, but the results do not lie,

On the floor and euro tours and ranking events, durrant is not in the top ten, and that is the bread and butter

I try to read your posts, like most other people here but it's slightly difficult to engage with you when you pull "facts" out of your arse to suit your agenda.

show me what fact is not a fact then.

Enlighten me as to what fact is untrue or a lie

show me what fact is not a fact then.

Enlighten me as to what fact is untrue or a lie

For one, that you keep peddling the "fact" that Durrant is not a top 10 player while not properly considering that he hasn't played the full qualitative period.

You are comparing apples to oranges but won't recognize that due to your biased agenda.

It's akin to saying that if a player only played one tournament, won it, but did not enter the top ten, then he is no good.

You hold the "fact that he has not won a "major" over him even though he has had less than 2 years to do so and yet in that time has reached plenty of finals/semi-finals etc.

You can't take the fact that he won the PL against fantastic opposition, holding the top spot pretty much throughout it all because it again does not suit your agenda therefore you must rubbish it. Non-ranking or not, it's damn tough to win.

Anyhow, i want to enjoy my Friday evening so no interest in engaging further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

boomdocker wrote: »
    flippin' hell, checked in to see what the crack was with the Premier League, have to scroll back through two pages of $hite to find it !

.....deja vu!

• Advertisement

You are comparing apples to oranges but won't recognize that due to your biased agenda.

What agenda, again if you actually read my posts, they are about the hype spouted by pyke, mardle etc,

do you even read my posts you complain about ?

For one, that you keep peddling the "fact" that Durrant is not a top 10 player while not properly considering that he hasn't played the full qualitative period.

I have already addressed this too. He is not top ten for this year either,
    He is not in the top ten of the pro tour order of merit.
    so it is a fact.

Are you actually aware what the pro tour order of merit is ?

colin lloyd says the premier league should be the top 10.

he has a point when players in the top ten were left out for players outside the top ten who could never reach a ranking final

https://www.skysports.com/darts/news/36383/12111251/colin-lloyd-ponders-future-of-darts-premier-league-dream-debuts-and-the-form-of-gary-anderson

Advertisement