Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier league 2020

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Degag wrote: »
    Goes on far too long in my opinion. How many nights were there? Did someone say 23? Should be half that. But i guess it's a money cow for the PDC.

normally it is what pays for the pro tour,

Last year the PDC scrapped entry fees to the floor comps, and with paying out tens of thousands each event to the players, and holding over 20 players champs per year, the money has to come from somewhere, and that is where the Premier League comes in.

That is also why it has to be hyped, called a major, despite it being non ranking and invitation, the crowds that attend help the PDC financially,

This year with covid they pdc are eating into their profits and reserves.
    Hence why rumours of holding the worlds abroad so they can get revenue from fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Well done Glen.

Keep moving the goalposts Justin....

You are beating him down and near rubbishing him as not being a top 10 player when he has not had the full 104 weeks in the Order of Merit that others have had. Therefore you are not comparing like with like. And one of the tournaments missing is the Worlds where a decent finish would have him inside the top 10 from the looks of it.

But this particular "fact" doesn't suit your agenda.

I am not "beating him" for not being in the top ten.

I am saying if he was one of the best in the world like we are told, he would be in the top 10

There is a clear difference between the 2.

I have saod on here countless times, Glen has done great in the 22 months he is in the pdc and is up to 12th....that is commendable.

But as good as he is, he is not one of the best in the world.
    Liking him, loving him or hating him has no bearing on the stats.

Of course those who dont like the poster will complain about him than the actual content, which only serves to prove my point.

Not a single person on here can answer the most basic question.
    if he is a top 5 player, what is the criteria they use ?
    Surely if you are going to claim he is in top 5, there must be some reasoning behind it ?????

and how would he be above proven major winners like Aspinall and Dimitri who won ranking Majors AFTER durrant joined the PDC.

no one seems able to answer this, instead, they will deflect

Well done Glen.

Keep moving the goalposts Justin....

^^^^

This is exactly the point I was making.
    The above poster thinks I am somehow disappointed Glen won, the same glen i was shouting for to win the matchplay and other events.

They cannot differentiate between stating facts , and liking a player.

MVG is the best player in the world, I dont like him....liking someone, and their stats are 2 different things, and people cannot grasp this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Surely if you are going to claim he is in top 5, there must be some reasoning behind it ?????

Well if he won the Worlds that he is missing against all the other players then he would be comfortably be inside the top 5. Fairly close as runner up.

• Advertisement

Well if he won the Worlds that he is missing against all the other players then he would be comfortably be inside the top 5. Fairly close as runner up.

If he won the worlds then yes he would be in the top 5. Absolutely.

but he has not won it yet, in fact he has never won a pdc ranking major, not even got to the final of one, in the 22 months so that is what I am highlighting.

I am pointing out how ridiculous it is to claim a player with zero ranking finals, let alone win, is a top 5 player, when players like dimitri for example won a ranking major this year, beating glen along the way does not get the same favoritism.

this is not about liking or disliking players, but highlighting the bias, hypocrisy and stupidity of people like Mardle.
    Numerous times I have said this is not about glen but the hype put on him by mardle,. pyke etc, that is undeserved.

People dont like these home truths, so in an effort to deflect will try to criticize the poster.

its evident for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Your tears are so sweet Justin, keep crying.

show me one single post where i have said he did not deserve it....just one...you cannot.

You obviously ignored the posts where i have praised him on what he has achieved in his time in the pdc.
    you seem to lack the ability to comprehend to differentiate between thinking he has done great, and calling him best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I am not "beating him" for not being in the top ten.

I am saying if he was one of the best in the world like we are told, he would be in the top 10

There is a clear difference between the 2.

I have saod on here countless times, Glen has done great in the 22 months he is in the pdc and is up to 12th....that is commendable.

But as good as he is, he is not one of the best in the world.
    Liking him, loving him or hating him has no bearing on the stats.

Of course those who dont like the poster will complain about him than the actual content, which only serves to prove my point.

and how would he be above proven major winners like Aspinall and Dimitri who won ranking Majors AFTER durrant joined the PDC.

no one seems able to answer this, instead, they will deflect

So Smith is one of the best in the world coz he’s in the top 10, no wait he’s not coz he’s not in your made up top 10.

As another poster said keep moving the goal posts :)

TbL

Where have I said smith is one of the best in the world ? I said he is in the top 10 rankings. Are you incapable of even grasping the difference still ? I never said he was one of the best in the world, .In fact I said on here numerous times smith is vastly over rated.
    This is another lie by you in your zest to complain just for the sake of it.

The best players in the world are those that win the ranking majors
    . like price, mvg, ando, wade, dimitri, cross, gurney , wright etc.
    Not the players incapable of winning ranking majors like smith, white, durrant , cullen chizzy.

How can a player who has never won a ranking major be in the top 5 in the world ?
    Are you going to keep dodging this very simple question ?

• Advertisement

Where have I said smith is one of the best in the world ? I said he is in the top 10 rankings. Are you incapable of even grasping the difference still ? I never said he was one of the best in the world, .In fact I said on here numerous times smith is vastly over rated.
    This is another lie by you in your zest to complain just for the sake of it.

The best players in the world are those that win the ranking majors
    . like price, mvg, ando, wade, dimitri, cross, gurney , wright etc.
    Not the players incapable of winning ranking majors like smith, white, durrant , cullen chizzy.

How can a player who has never won a ranking major be in the top 5 in the world ?
    Are you going to keep dodging this very simple question ?

So to be clear now, the rankings are irrelevant and the best players in the world currently, are only those who’ve won a major?

Is Wade currently one of the best players in the world?

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

US2 wrote: »
    Your tears are so sweet Justin, keep crying.

MOD NOTE: Keep it civil, please.

So to be clear now, the rankings are irrelevant and the best players in the world currently, are only those who’ve won a major?

Is Wade currently one of the best players in the world?

TbL

you think Durrant is one of the best in the world, yet you are unable or unwilling to tell people what criteria you base this on

Lets compare the players then.

Wade has won multiple ranking majors in the PDC

Durrant has won ZERO ranking majors in the PDC

Wade is in the top 10 of the order of merit
    Durrant is not in the top ten of the order of merit.

Wade is in the top ten of the protour order of merit based on just this year.
    Durrant is NOT in the top ten of the protour order of merit for the year.

If Durrant is one of the best in the world, then surely Wade is higher...the ranking prove wade has earned more, win more and is placed higher.
    Are you going to tell me the pdc ranking are wrong now as well ?

Surely dimitri van den Bergh who won a ranking major this year, something durrant could not do, and Dimitri even beat durrant on his way to the title is better.

Price is better, he won a ranking major, as is MVG...etc

You grasping it yet ?

Enlighten me, on what bizarre planet is a player who has never won a single ranking major in the top 5 in the world.

Are you unable to back up the claim you made ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is the only relevant stat from your post Justin.

You can't compare PDC titles when Durrant hasn't even been in the PDC 2 years yet. Likewise for the OoM as Durrant is still earning money and not defending any yet.

Saying that though, your point about the Pro Tour OoM is a valid one. Duzza has clearly not been a top ten player this year on the floor/European Tour. It's a part of his game he needs to improve if he wants to become a top ten PDC player and stay there.

I also agree that non-ranking events are not majors. I get why the Premier League exists but the other non-ranking events should be binned, they're pointless.

you think Durrant is one of the best in the world, yet you are unable or unwilling to tell people what criteria you base this on

Lets compare the players then.

Wade has won multiple ranking majors in the PDC

Durrant has won ZERO ranking majors in the PDC

Wade is in the top 10 of the order of merit
    Durrant is not in the top ten of the order of merit.

If Durrant is one of the best in the world, then surely Wade is higher...the ranking prove wade has earned more, win more and is placed higher.
    Are you going to tell me the pdc ranking are wrong now as well ?

Surely dimitri van den Bergh who won a ranking major this year, something durrant could not do, and Dimitri even beat durrant on his way to the title is better.

Price is better, he won a ranking major, as is MVG...etc

You grasping it yet ?

Enlighten me, on what bizarre planet is a player who has never won a single ranking major in the top 5 in the world.

Are you unable to back up the claim you made ?

But but but I’m confused... Smith is currently higher than Wade in the rankings and got to the final of the biggest tournament in darts but he’s not currently one of the best players in the world but James Wade is :):):)

I think I’ll let you back to your parallel universe and your fantasy top 10

:):):)

TbL

Kingp35 wrote: »
    This is the only relevant stat from your post Justin.

You can't compare PDC titles when Durrant hasn't even been in the PDC 2 years yet. Likewise for the OoM as Durrant is still earning money and not defending any yet.

Saying that though, your point about the Pro Tour OoM is a valid one. Duzza has clearly not been a top ten player this year on the floor/European Tour. It's a part of his game he needs to improve if he wants to become a top ten PDC player and stay there.

I also agree that non-ranking events are not majors. I get why the Premier League exists but the other non-ranking events should be binned, they're pointless.

Of course I am right that durrant is not even in the top 10 of the protour.
    I know certain people would love for me to be wrong as then they could use that to deflect. But certain people on here dont like the truth, dont like stats, and refuse to believe facts.

There is something serious strange when a person who made a nonsensical claim, that a player who is not even in the pdc top 10 for the year,

has never won a pdc ranking major is suddenly world class and in the top 5 in the world.
    and when asked why of how they came to that conclusion is unwilling or unable to back up their nonsensical claim.

What is also completely ridiculous is that a player like dimitri van den Bergh has earned more money this year than durrant and is a better player, and not only reached the final of a proper ranking major, but won it, and even defeated durrant along the way, earned more money than durrant this calendar year is not praised like durrant is.

Why is dimi not one of the best in the world since this seems to be the criteria some are using ???

It is very clear, because i am posting these stats some people are trying to dismiss me as it that somehow dismisses the facts.
    It wont work

you cannot hoodwink a person with common sense, that a player outside the top ten for the year, with zero ranking finals., let alone ranking major final wins is a top 5 player in the world.

Player A plays 10 tournaments reaches semis in all

Player B plays 10 tournaments loses 1st round in 9, but wins 1

Who's the better player in your opinion Justin? Just A or B answer..

Durrant is a better player than Dimitri you're deluding yourself.

Why do you keep referring to the rankings when you've claimed loads of times that they are nonsical and can't be used

Dimitri has earned more money this year than durrant...FACT
    He is higher in the ranking FACt
    He not only won a ranking major something durrant has been unable to do ,
    dimi even beat Durrant on his way to said major

Dimi is clearly a better player.

How can a player, who has NEVER REACHED THE FINAL OF A PDC RANKING MAJOR BE A TOP 5 PLAYER ?

That is like saying a tennis player who never reached the final of the US Open, Aussie Open, French Open and wimbledon is one of the best in the world. Its absolutely stupid.

Or claim a player who has never won one of the majors in golf is one of the best in the world, again you would be the laughing stock.

you cannot be one of the best in the world or top 5 if there are at least ten others who are doing better than you.
    you can spin it whatever way to can, deflect all you want. In fact you know your point is so ridiculous you cannot even back up your claim and afraid to even answer the most simple question.

The more you avoid answering the question the more you are proving you have no basis for your ludicrous claim.

Player A plays 10 tournaments reaches semis in all

Player B plays 10 tournaments loses 1st round in 9, but wins 1

Who's the better player in your opinion Justin? Just A or B answer..

Durrant is a better player than Dimitri you're deluding yourself.

Durrant did not reach ten semi finals
    Dimi did not go out in ten first rounds.

Dimi has earned more money that durrant this year....FACT
    Dimi not only won a major, something durrant has not done , dimi even beat durrant along the way in winning said major.

Dimi is higher in the 2 year order of merit
    dimi is higher in the one year pro tour.

Again you are being shown up with facts and stats that show you have no idea and are clearly wrong.

If durrant was "better" he would have earned more and be higher,, but he is not., because Dimi is better.

The FACTS back that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

This is hilarious. I'm running out of popcorn.

This is hilarious. I'm running out of popcorn.

it is.

I think it incredible a person would make a claim that durrant is to 5 in the world, despite him never winning a ranking major, and when said member is asked why or what criteria he was using, they would then fail to answer the question and is unable to back up their claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Durrant did not reach ten semi finals
    Dimi did not go out in ten first rounds.

Dimi has earned more money that durrant this year....FACT
    Dimi not only won a major, something durrant has not done , dimi even beat durrant along the way in winning said major.

Dimi is higher in the 2 year order of merit
    dimi is higher in the one year pro tour.

Again you are being shown up with facts and stats that show you have no idea and are clearly wrong.

If durrant was "better" he would have earned more and be higher,, but he is not., because Dimi is better.

The FACTS back that up.

Within the last two years:

Glen Durrant has reached 4 major semi finals. Fact
    Dimitri has reached 1 major semi final. Fact

How has Dimitri earned more than Glen this year.
    Glen got £250k for last night. Second biggest payday of the year and more than Dimitri has ever earned in a tournament. Fact

Nobody that has any idea about darts would argue Dvdb is a better player than Durrant. Baffling carry on.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Within the last two years:

Glen Durrant has reached 4 major semi finals. Fact
    Dimitri has reached 1 major semi final. Fact

How has Dimitri earned more than Glen this year.
    Glen got £250k for last night. Second biggest payday of the year and more than Dimitri has ever earned in a tournament. Fact

Nobody that has any idea about darts would argue Dvdb is a better player than Durrant. Baffling carry on.

What is baffling is how you are unable to read the word ranking !

you do know the premier league is non ranking right.?
    That is why dimitri is higher in the 2 year ranking, higher in the one year rankings.
    dont believe me, go look at the ranking tables.

did you also opt to ignore the word ranking, or was it accidental you missed it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

What is baffling is how you are unable to read the word ranking !

you do know the premier league is non ranking right.?
    That is why dimitri is higher in the 2 year ranking, higher in the one year rankings.
    dont believe me, go look at the ranking tables.

did you also opt to ignore the word ranking, or was it accidental you missed it ?

I didn’t mention any rankings.

I stated facts. Cold hard facts.
    Are you disputing any of my aforesaid facts?

So will the banks not accept the £250,000 Glen won last night?
    Seems to me prize money is prize money regardless if it counts for the order of merit.

mdwexford wrote: »
    I didn’t mention any rankings.

I stated facts. Cold hard facts.
    Are you disputing any of my aforesaid facts?

So will the banks not accept the £250,000 Glen won last night?
    Seems to me prize money is prize money regardless if it counts for the order of merit.

Of course its a great cheque to pick up.

But the PL is non ranking, no matter how you spin things,thats a fact

His win last night has no bearing on his rankings...again another fact.

Dimitri beat durrant on his way to a PROPER RANKING MAJOR , another fact.

Dimitri earned more money, not just this year in the protour, but earned more money on the 2 year order of merit...again facts.

Durrant is not in the top ten rankings, be it for 2 years or one year.
    Has never made the final of a ranking major, let alone win one like many others have this year.

how can durrant be ahead of players that have won proper ranking majors when he has won none himself.
    Can you not see the flaw in that ?

for the record, Barney made a fortune out of all his pl invites, yet when he retired last year, he was in his 13th straight year without a ranking major title.

All that PL money did not save him when nit came to his rankings.

Kingp35 wrote: »

I think there are far too many non ranking invitational comps in the PDC.
    You have the Masters for example, which happens after the worlds and before the PL.

You have the world series events and their final, again a glorified exbo.
    You have the champions league with is basically the same type of event that the masters is, but only created so they have something for the BBC.

The World Cup is a joke and another glorified exbo.

The PL is a joke,where selection is based on favoritism but of all the non ranking comps, the Premier League is needed, as it funds the tour.

Personally I would like the Master, to go, along with the Champions league, and the pdc create a new ranking comp to be on the BBC instead.

I will go so far to say, I personally would rather watch the Euro tour (which i am watching right now, that watch the masters, CLoD, World Series, world Cup or the Premier League. I prefer ranking darts to invitational glorified exbos.

Do you think it's easier to win the premier league than the match play simply because it's unranked?

• Advertisement

Do you think it's easier to win the premier league than the match play simply because it's unranked?

I think the Matchplay is harder to win and I base this on a few reasons.

1. The Premier League being an invitation usually omits some of the better players.
    James Wade reached the semi finals of the 2019 premier League, and was not invited back, instead they had durrant in instead. how is that right ? where a semi finalist, and higher ranked player is dumped out for a lower ranked player ?

2. With some of the top players not invited, it therefore makes it a weaker field. That is common logic.

3. The matchplay includes all top 32 current players....no exceptions, no wildcards, no players omitted because of preferential treatment. The Matchplay field is larger , and its a proper one on one knockout competiton, no comeback after losing, no draws, proper pressure in a proper ranking tournament.

The PL might have more money, but the matchplay has the prestige.
    James Wade and Phil Taylor 2 players that won both the PL and the Matchplay has openly said the Matchplay is more important and the one to win.

I will take the word of taylor and Wade over you.

Advertisement