Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

djua0f5b49.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not sure if it's true, but it does sound plausible.

bvye09duk5.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

First Google link says it's nonsense and is an old English term - https://vinepair.com/articles/origin-of-shot/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

QpK3R5GZ.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

New Home wrote: »
    djua0f5b49.jpg
    From what I remember Gaia wasn't the only primoridal deity in Greek myth. There were a few with her, off the top of my head;chaos(who everyone sprang from), tartarus, erebus and a couple of others .

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

interesting story that seems to be true but this extra part added by somebody else doesn't quite ring true

https://twitter.com/anmol_dhawan/status/1404410990716854277

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

medium_1930_0635__0001_.jpg

https://coimages.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/images/53/399/medium_1930_0635__0001_.jpg

Canary resuscitator Siebe Gorman and Company Limited
    The circular door is open while you explore the mine. If the canary keels over you shut the door and turn on the oxygen supply. While you run for safety, of course.

This type of cage allows one to re-use the canary.

There were woodlice things in Kilkenny 360 million years ago,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

medium_1930_0635__0001_.jpg

https://coimages.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/images/53/399/medium_1930_0635__0001_.jpg

Canary resuscitator Siebe Gorman and Company Limited
    The circular door is open while you explore the mine. If the canary keels over you shut the door and turn on the oxygen supply. While you run for safety, of course.

This type of cage allows one to re-use the canary.

Dunno. Buying a replacement canary would be a lot cheeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BBC Sports presenter Gabby Logan represented Leeds in the 1991 Rose of Tralee . Yorath is her maiden name.

627621.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

The English language has around 15,000 potential syllables but we use less than half of them.

qw1f1p47sg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

qw1f1p47sg.jpg
    It's a nice story, but I find it strange that people always stop there with the little just-so story of the lady who is kind of magic.

If she can smell it, then there is a chemical marker secreted by Parkinson's Disease patients.

That means that we can figure out what it is and build a machine to detect that chemical marker, and even maybe learn something about what PD changes in the body.

There are clever people doing exactly that:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-21669-4

mikhail wrote: »
    It's a nice story, but I find it strange that people always stop there with the little just-so story of the lady who is kind of magic.

If she can smell it, then there is a chemical marker secreted by Parkinson's Disease patients.

That means that we can figure out what it is and build a machine to detect that chemical marker, and even maybe learn something about what PD changes in the body.

That wasn't my point at all - of course there are markers of all kinds (just because we haven't found them all, yet, doesn't mean they're not there), just like there are markers for cancers, Covid, infections, etc. We've been using dogs' sense of smell to do detect them for years. The surprising fact, for me, wasn't that she's "magic", but the fact that a human could smell the marker at all, our olfactory system in general isn't that developed. It also means that something that doesn't look "scientific" enough (although there are scientific reasons behind it) should be more accurate than the current tests we have.

That wasn't my point at all
    Yeah, sorry; I didn't mean you specifically, really. It just annoys me that the brilliant follow-up work that's converting a quirky story into another medical miracle is constantly ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mikhail wrote: »

She's heavily involved in Parkinson's research and activism herself, first discovered the smell thing when her husband got Parkinson's, and is a nurse etc. Her Twitter account is very active too, so it's possible to go beyond the Ripley's believe it or not part as well.

419387.jpg

• Advertisement

628253.jpg

A quick check on Wikipedia and it says that Michael Jackson did in fact do a CPR course and did incorporate the "Annie are you ok" into Smooth criminal because of that. Rather than post the wiki here is the site it references.

https://www.eonline.com/news/367450/new-michael-jackson-documentary-spike-lee-s-bad-25-is-a-funky-gem-you-can-watch-online

As you know three classified small satellites for the National Reconnaissance Office were fired into orbit from the Eastern Shore of Virginia last Tuesday, riding a Northrop Grumman Minotaur 1 booster with a surplus Minuteman missile.

But did you know that the first stage was made in 1966, likely the oldest rocket part ever used on a space launch ?

The SR19 second stage motor, produced by Aerojet, was filled with its solid propellant in 1983.

Human bodies are basically squishy sacks of goopy grease and water emulsions held together by hydrogen bonds and disulphide bridges between protein molecules and glommed onto some big lumps of high-grade chalk.

For those who follow UK parliamentary matters, the Speaker of the House of Commons, Lindsay Hoyle is following in family footsteps. His ex-MP father Doug is still at Westminster, as a life peer in the House of Lords.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Hoyle

Human bodies are basically squishy sacks of goopy grease and water emulsions held together by hydrogen bonds and disulphide bridges between protein molecules and glommed onto some big lumps of high-grade chalk.

Let me guess... Terry Pratchett? Or Douglas Adams?

• Advertisement

I've never heard it before, but it does sound a bit like Adams, like the quote below.
    The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.

Randomly from http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/12/science-fictional-shibboleths.html

It goes on to explain why there won't be any Helium-3 mines on the moon. Which reminds me I should look at the film Moon again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

On the lesser known Canary island of La Gomera, residents still speak a whistled version of Spanish called Silbo Gomera, which was used to communicate with each other across deep valleys and ravines

Something similar in Greece as well (can't remember where exactly, but it was in the Joanna Lumley Greece travelogue)

I think they do that in a few parts of the world, across valleys. It would be interesting to know if different "languages" can still understand one another.

• Advertisement

I think they do that in a few parts of the world, across valleys. It would be interesting to know if different "languages" can still understand one another.
    QI had a segment on the Spanish one a few years ago and from what I remember it's a substitution for whatever the spoken language is, a bit like sign language was originally, and once you knew what the phrase was in Spanish you could hear that in the whistles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Evade wrote: »
    QI had a segment on the Spanish one a few years ago and from what I remember it's a substitution for whatever the spoken language is, a bit like sign language was originally, and once you knew what the phrase was in Spanish you could hear that in the whistles.
    Is that a bit like in The Clangers? :D

There were two brothers who used to work with me who used to communicate with whistles and gestures in work, because they were both in the same noisy area. Nobody could really break the code. They weren't even too close age-wise, maybe 8 or 9 years between them, so it wouldn't have been a childhood thing.

Is that a bit like in The Clangers? :D
    It was the cadence and change in pitches that came across. All I remember about the sentence was there was a Diego and I can't find a clip of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

For some reason I'm reminded of the NowWhatian Boghog. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    For some reason I'm reminded of the NowWhatian Boghog. :D

Whistling, not biting. :pac:

Now, for a while I was considering the babelfish theory, but that doesn't quite apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

fvp4 wrote: »
    A quick check on Wikipedia and it says that Michael Jackson did in fact do a CPR course and did incorporate the "Annie are you ok" into Smooth criminal because of that. Rather than post the wiki here is the site it references.

https://www.eonline.com/news/367450/new-michael-jackson-documentary-spike-lee-s-bad-25-is-a-funky-gem-you-can-watch-online

In the same vein: to keep proper time while performing chest compressions in CPR, work to the beat of the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92KL1mw77c
    This covers everything: how, what, in what order.

Why don't they include breaths any more? Surely emergency service response times haven't gotten to below four minutes in every case.

I think it's because studies have shown most breaths (by non-professionals anyway) are delivered ineffectively, so you're better off just doing compressions.

On the subject of CPR it's very easy to break someone's ribs doing it. I learned when I was 10 or 12 and even then could hit the you've broken a rib indicator on Ambu Andy.

• Advertisement

You should only care about giving CPR properly, broken ribs will heal, being dead won't :)
    People targeted by this video don't have any training or experience, they won't be able to give breaths properly, so they should only concentrate on one thing. Chest compressions will also pump the lungs.

I think if you haven't broken their ribs after a while, you've done it wrong.

You also can't defib someone in the back of a moving ambulance. (Or at least you couldn't when I was in the back of ambulances!) The vibrations mess up the defib's readings and can give a wrong recommendation. You should pull into one side to defib (or ideally just get to hospital as quickly as possible)

There's a longer version where Vinnie says: worry you'll hurt him? Better a cracked rib than him kicking the bucket!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD2qTmDsiHk

Cordell wrote: »
    Chest compressions will also pump the lungs.
    Do you have a source on that? When googling earlier said it was circulating residual oxygen hence the four minute remark.

No, not really. I did a training and the instructor said that and at the time it seemed plausible enough so no one asked...

"The mechanism of chest compression is often explained by the lung pump theory, in which the heart works as a part of the larger pumping system with the lungs"

https://icm-experimental.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40635-019-0275-9

It seems logical though that compressing the lungs' space will in turn compress the lungs, albeit not as effectively as breathing obviously

519214.jpg

cdeb wrote: »
    "The mechanism of chest compression is often explained by the lung pump theory, in which the heart works as a part of the larger pumping system with the lungs"

https://icm-experimental.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40635-019-0275-9

It seems logical though that compressing the lungs' space will in turn compress the lungs, albeit not as effectively as breathing obviously
    I might be misreading that portion of the article, and its citations, but it seems to me isn't lung pump theory is about how chest compressions create blood flow and not really anything to do with getting oxygen into the blood.

But reading the part about rats reminded me of this scene in the Abyss

On the set the rat is breathing the liquid, there's enough oxygen dissolved in it for it to survive.

Chest compressions are mostly about circulation alright.

But - and I'm into the realm of making stuff up now with no links to help - chest compressions compress the chest, where the lungs are. In our bodies, the diaphragm compresses the lungs by rising, and because there's a vacuum inside you, that forces you to expel CO2. When the space in the lung area expands (by the diaphragm falling, or you lifting off the chest compression), you're forced to inhale. I could see compressions helping taking in a small bit of oxygen. Not much - certainly not as good as breathing, or oxygen therapy - but I guess every bit helps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Most of us know what Michael Collins sounded like.

No, not that Michael Collins. Newsreel footage in those days was silent.
    Or the astronaut Michael Collins, most of the famous quotes from the moon landings were Armstrong & Aldrin.

But most of us have probably seen this fella in films:

6091692_109157226094.jpg

And no, he's not Michael Collins - that's Gert Fröbe who played Goldfinger. But the German actor spoke very little English, learned his lines phonetically and delivered them with such a strong accent that they had to dub him. And the actor they chose as the voice of Goldfinger was named Michael Collins.

(He was also Fröbe's 'voice' as Baron Bomhurst in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and in many other films)

Advertisement