Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media - TV, 250MB broadband, phone + Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for €55 a mont

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Any idea how this offer will be around for?

Moving house in November and would like to avail of it..

Their ads and print said October 2nd (today) but if it's November they and Sky have started doing Black Friday deals though I don't think the offer was as good (cheap) as this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

As a matter of interest, did you get an upgrade? How did you go about it?

No upgrade, was out of contract with them for Broadband and wife signed up for this deal as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Deal has been extended til 9th October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm paying less than I was for just broadband with them and I have the Champions League and Sky Sports in HD. Thats all I wanted it for and its perfect for that, I pity anyone who has to suffer it as their main source of TV though. There is €30 chinese android boxes on ebay more responsive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Anyone sign up to this new deal (TV and broadband) under the other half's name while still got a few weeks left on the existing contract?

How does it work...new equip comes out via the post and you just swap the boxes out and start up the new account? They then come to collect the old equipment once that termination date is reached?

I've 2 weeks left to go to my termination date and the offers they're giving me to sign up for another year are crap. So willing to overlap the 2 accounts for that short period of time. Just want to make sure the switch over has gone smooth for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

jay0109 wrote: »
    Anyone sign up to this new deal (TV and broadband) under the other half's name while still got a few weeks left on the existing contract?

How does it work...new equip comes out via the post and you just swap the boxes out and start up the new account? They then come to collect the old equipment once that termination date is reached?

I've 2 weeks left to go to my termination date and the offers they're giving me to sign up for another year are crap. Sol willing to overlap the 2 accounts for that short period of time. Just want to make sure the switch over has gone smooth for others?

Exactly both systems working for my 27 day overlap of services. Have the old one connected in the bedroom for IPTV whilst the switch happens. Opted for 500Mb service but the WiFi is no better downstairs so will need to buy a WiFi range extender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've 2 weeks left to go to my termination date and the offers they're giving me to sign up for another year are crap. So willing to overlap the 2 accounts for that short period of time. Just want to make sure the switch over has gone smooth for others?

Yep got wife to cancel and signed up under my own name few days later. No hassle, plugged in new router and set top box no issues.

Got 2 SIMs 5for5 one ported no issue the other didnt and the staff were useless at trying to sort it out. In the end ported the other one to eir (had an old SIM lying around that I hadn't used) took 2 mins and then ported to tesco mobile 15 deal.

New box plugged in and set up but no channels appearing...says I need to ring 1908 Customer Care.
    New Wifi router working fine.

Do I really need to ring 1908 or is there a way to get the tv up and running without bringing that hassle into my life!

New box plugged in and set up but no channels appearing...says I need to ring 1908 Customer Care.
    New Wifi router working fine.

Do I really need to ring 1908 or is there a way to get the tv up and running without bringing that hassle into my life!

Give it 30mins and it’ll come on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

Called up on Monday. Said I was going to quit virgin, because I actually was. This was my 3rd attempt at getting a discount and the other two times they would only give me like a tenner off. Got half price for 6 months and 2nd TV box for 5e for 12 months.
    Was 110e a month now 55e, they also gave me 500 Meg broadband.

Definitely worth a call if you are out of contract.

Give it 30mins and it’ll come on

Left it on all night and it didn't kick in. Will ring them today...pray for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Villan11

Left it on all night and it didn't kick in. Will ring them today...pray for me!

Had the same experience, call to customer care did take time but the agent was helpful and resolved it. Just be sure that whichever premium channels you ordered (sports or cinema) are also showing as they didn't on mine even after the basic channels were.

Got it up and running. Sky Sports in SD is disappointing but I'll live with it for €1 a month

you should have hd as well ? You get it for free for the first year

Nope, as per 1st page of this thread, the offer was for SD only

You can also get HD. I'm sure thats what you requested, You need to get on to them to deliver what you requested.

I have it. It costs nothing extra for the first year.

Edit: Sorry, it seems its 1E extra per month

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chirin

asharkman wrote: »
    Called up on Monday. Said I was going to quit virgin, because I actually was. This was my 3rd attempt at getting a discount and the other two times they would only give me like a tenner off. Got half price for 6 months and 2nd TV box for 5e for 12 months.
    Was 110e a month now 55e, they also gave me 500 Meg broadband.

Definitely worth a call if you are out of contract.

Out of contract now and looking to get the Full House 500 bundle but I don't think any sort of pursuading will get me near the price a new customer will get. For a new customer it will cost €74 p/m, plus the €30 activation fee, less the boards one for all of €50, so a total of €868 for year 1.

Do you think as an existing customer they'll give me anything close to this? Otherwise I'll just get my partner to sign up.

dave oc wrote: »
    Seems like it is the HD version of Sky Sports included in this deal, confirmed in TalktoVM thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/110912551

This is where they also put it in the terms, which is what led you to request it in the first place. It was merely an oversight on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Has this deal ended officially?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Just wanted to make people aware, Virgin require a 30 day notice period if you are cancelling your contract. They will not accept notice +30 days, this essentially means it gives you a one day window to cancel without having to pay for an additional month and if you are out of contract that means you will pay the non "discounted" or deal rate, so for us it would mean paying an additional month at €89.95. Madness...clearly opportunistic not allowing people to give +30 notice trying to sting them for an additional month. So glad to be getting rid of them, their sh*t internet, their service and one of the worst set top boxes on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

MurDawg wrote: »
    Has this deal ended officially?

Yeah I see its gone from their website. Wonder if they will still give it if you call up?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

OnLooker wrote: »
    Yeah I see its gone from their website. Wonder if they will still give it if you call up?

Tried, not budging on any old deals.

Wouldn't divert from online prices - far stricter than they used to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just wanted to make people aware, Virgin require a 30 day notice period if you are cancelling your contract. They will not accept notice +30 days, this essentially means it gives you a one day window to cancel without having to pay for an additional month and if you are out of contract that means you will pay the non "discounted" or deal rate, so for us it would mean paying an additional month at €89.95. Madness...clearly opportunistic not allowing people to give +30 notice trying to sting them for an additional month. So glad to be getting rid of them, their sh*t internet, their service and one of the worst set top boxes on the market.

That's not true from my experience. They've had no issues in the past accepting my cancellation 40+ days in advance. Equally, I've only left 25 days etc. before and you don't pay for an entire month. You pay for 5 days at the no discounted rate.

They're relatively easy to deal with

bren2001 wrote: »
    That's not true from my experience. They've had no issues in the past accepting my cancellation 40+ days in advance. Equally, I've only left 25 days etc. before and you don't pay for an entire month. You pay for 5 days at the no discounted rate.

They're relatively easy to deal with

We sought clarification on two separate calls which confirmed as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭bren2001

We sought clarification on two separate calls which confirmed as much.

I'm just going on past experience with them. As well as doing it all for my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

"They will not accept notice +30 days".

This is BS.

It's a minimum of 30 days.
    They cannot make you inform them on a specific day.

Crazy stuff, sounds like a rep on a retention bonus getting ahead of themselves.

In fairness I found Virgin generally good for cancellation.

I got told this too. They'd cancel 30 days from the call.

paddy19 wrote: »

This is BS.

Crazy stuff, sounds like a rep on a retention bonus getting ahead of themselves.

chirin wrote: »
    Out of contract now and looking to get the Full House 500 bundle but I don't think any sort of pursuading will get me near the price a new customer will get. For a new customer it will cost €74 p/m, plus the €30 activation fee, less the boards one for all of €50, so a total of €868 for year 1.

Do you think as an existing customer they'll give me anything close to this? Otherwise I'll just get my partner to sign up.

Yea, well i called up, as an existing out of contract customer and threatened to quit and they gave me half price for 6 months and reduced the price of my second box. So give them a call.
    My buddy went down the route of getting the partner to register and said it was a good bit of hassle.
    Worth a call anyway.
    See what they say.

paddy19 wrote: »

This is BS.

Right paddy, you’ve two people who have verified this, but it’s 3 because myself and my wife have made to calls to confirm this. So I’ve a reminder call on their day of cancellation.

Calling it BS is naive and insulting to someone who has had spent time on the phone twice to clarify this and try and help people out on advising as much.

As for the other lad that replied to me, see the above. Things change, companies try and maximise profits, your love in with virgin might change also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

Calling it BS is naive and insulting to someone who has had spent time on the phone twice to clarify this and try and help people out on advising as much.

Unfortunately, some forums just become a hyperbole of Language at times.
    It's never ok to not know something.
    It's never ok to be unsure.
    ALWAYS you vs them.
    ALWAYS double down on your point with force.
    ALWAYS defend to the death your viewpoint even when it's increasingly looking likely it's wrong.

In this case, to call it BS is so extreme it's laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Heads up for anyone who got this offer that the 12 month period is probably just about over for most people. Has anyone contacted Virgin and got a good deal to stay with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Heads up for anyone who got this offer that the 12 month period is probably just about over for most people. Has anyone contacted Virgin and got a good deal to stay with them?
    No. Basically offering something like 44.50 for 6 months and then 89 for 6 and that is without Sky Sports. Sky's offer isn't much better tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

But Sky broadband is usually slower right? My contract runs out next month. I am thinking whether to switch to Sky for TV and stay with Virgin for the Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Closing this up before it becomes another cancellation thread.
    We already have a cancellation thread here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement