Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fixture list has been released. This is interesting too

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1308754225376169985?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

My wife will be delighted to hear of Monday night rugby starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So the Pro14 have announced on Facebook that the SA teams are dumped for this season, but starting 2021 they're hoping to have expanded involvement.

Assuming that means the big 4 Super franchises, let the speculation commence as to how on earth you manage that logistic, meritocratic migraine!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So the Pro14 have announced on Facebook that the SA teams are dumped for this season, but starting 2021 they're hoping to have expanded involvement.

Assuming that means the big 4 Super franchises, let the speculation commence as to how on earth you manage that logistic, meritocratic migraine!
    They haven't announced that. They said that the Cheetahs and one other SA pro team (to replace the Kings) would play in the Pro14 in 2021. This has been confirmed in the fixtures release press release being as limited fixtures in the second half of this season.

They are in negotiations to bring in more teams, presumably bringing it to 16 teams. It'll be up to the SARU to decide which 4.

They haven't announced that. They said that the Cheetahs and one other SA pro team (to replace the Kings) would play in the Pro14 in 2021. This has been confirmed in the fixtures release press release being as limited fixtures in the second half of this season.

They are in negotiations to bring in more teams, presumably bringing it to 16 teams. It'll be up to the SARU to decide which 4.

So where am I wrong? There will be one SA team this season, just in the second half? And possibly more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So where am I wrong? There will be one SA team this season, just in the second half? And possibly more?

They're out for the 2020 calendar year, but not the 2020-21 season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the SAs have committed to two teams this 20/21 season

possibly more

Committed to two teams at least in 2020/2021

But none in 2020 due to Covid

And presumably not the now bankrupt Kings

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Committed to two teams at least in 2020/2021

But none in 2020 due to Covid

And presumably not the now bankrupt Kings

the Kings are gone, best forgotten about.

yes, committed to 2 teams for the 20/21 season, to join in 2021 due to covid.

possibly we might get 4 teams though, and possibly the cheetahs may not be one of them

I can't see it being the Super Franchises unless ERC qualification is on the table. In which case the added TV money to the ERC needs to offset the risk a stronger Pro16 poses to domestic audiences for the Prem/Top14. And then you've the headache of qualification rules in the Pro16, are the Welsh/Scots/Italians going to be happy all but guaranteeing they rarely and possibly never get a team into the ERC?

All told, we'll get some Currie Cup teams, I reckon.

• Advertisement

I can't see it being the Super Franchises unless ERC qualification is on the table. In which case the added TV money to the ERC needs to offset the risk a stronger Pro16 poses to domestic audiences for the Prem/Top14. And then you've the headache of qualification rules in the Pro16, are the Welsh/Scots/Italians going to be happy all but guaranteeing they rarely and possibly never get a team into the ERC?

All told, we'll get some Currie Cup teams, I reckon.

Except that it's been pretty much confirmed by the NZRU that they want to scrap Super rugby and run a 10 team competition with the Australians and a Pacific Islanders team. That leaves the 4 SA franchises looking for somewhere to play.

Except that it's been pretty much confirmed by the NZRU that they want to scrap Super rugby and run a 10 team competition with the Australians and a Pacific Islanders team. That leaves the 4 SA franchises looking for somewhere to play.

What way does the Top14 ruling structure work, is it club-based like the Premiership? Money could eventually talk there, I suspect.

What way does the Top14 ruling structure work, is it club-based like the Premiership? Money could eventually talk there, I suspect.
    I don't think so. The SA teams aren't clubs like the English and French, they're union owned franchises. I can't see either English or French clubs alllowing union run teams into their leagues.

Then there's the fact that the LNR is the governing body of the Top14 and ProD2. The ProD2 clubs aren't to agree to the 4 SA teams being parachuted in above them. Nor are the 4 Top14 teams who'd lose their place (can't ever see a Top18 happening)

I don't think so. The SA teams aren't clubs like the English and French, they're union owned franchises. I can't see either English or French clubs alllowing union run teams into their leagues.

Then there's the fact that the LNR is the governing body of the Top14 and ProD2. The ProD2 clubs aren't to agree to the 4 SA teams being parachuted in above them. Nor are the 4 Top14 teams who'd lose their place (can't ever see a Top18 happening)

Looks like we'd be the only show in town then.

Advertisement