Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The Cheetahs could potentially sign Johan Goosen as well. After all that nonsense with his faux retirement to get out of Racing...

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1251453216811880449?s=19

He made a couple of appearances for the Cheetahs before he joined Montpelier and was actually decent for them, but it sounds like he just doesn't like France at all despite the money if he's looking for another early release.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Glasgow head coach thinks league should be finished and title given to Leinster.

https://twitter.com/SDM_Robertson/status/1255240800713261057

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Eod100 wrote: »
    Glasgow head coach thinks league should be finished and title given to Leinster.

https://twitter.com/SDM_Robertson/status/1255240800713261057

I think we are not too far from this season being declared done.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Yup. Not sure how qualification will work for best season"s CC, based on final position maybe? Looking like it could impact next season at this rate tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I think they should agregate the two conferences together and call it over. Give the League to Leinster.
    Leinster average points per game x 21 = 98.5
    Edinburgh = 75.9
    Munster = 72.7
    Ulster = 71.7

That seems a fair way to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

What do they do with season ticket holders etc. It's not as easy as just saying it's done imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Synode wrote: »
    What do they do with season ticket holders etc. It's not as easy as just saying it's done imo

They could discount your next ST. TBH I'm not at this stage too worried about money that I spent a year ago. In these extraordinary circumstance I doubt many would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

They could discount your next ST. TBH I'm not at this stage too worried about money that I spent a year ago. In these extraordinary circumstance I doubt many would be.

I assumed I wasn't going to get my money back.

But I think a credit against your renewal is the obvious way to go. But a lot of people aren't going to renew, they'll have to be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well the choice is ending the Season now or trying to organise the remaining fixtures.

There is no end date in sight for this Covid 19. There are five different countries involved in the competition. Each has different medical guidance, if not legislation regarding the outbreak. Logistics would be a nightmare if not impossible.
    If a line is drawn under last season at least teams can focus on next season, if it happens.

As for Season tickets I have no idea but I'm sure the fans and clubs will come to some mutual accommodation.

Strange times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The only way I can see this season having any more rugby is if they go straight to semi finals right now or a final.

They cannot play out multiple weeks of an international competition even if it's behind closed doors and waits until June or July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yup. Not sure how qualification will work for best season"s CC, based on final position maybe? Looking like it could impact next season at this rate tbh

We can’t give the media any ideas, if they had their way this virus would stay with us for ever.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    We can’t give the media any ideas, if they had their way this virus would stay with us for ever.

Think I'll go with what public health officials say and do. They're not known for sensationalism tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is now not the perfect time to align the world rugby calendar. Finish this season by the end of the year and start a new one in Feb or whatever.

Is now not the perfect time to align the world rugby calendar. Finish this season by the end of the year and start a new one in Feb or whatever.

Not that simple. Contracts in the NH run July 1st to June 30th. Half the pro rugby players in Europe (and a lot of coaches and other staff) would be out of contract half way through the season. TV contracts are also based around a Sep -Jun season. Harmonisation can't occur overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not that simple. Contracts in the NH run July 1st to June 30th. Half the pro rugby players in Europe (and a lot of coaches and other staff) would be out of contract half way through the season. TV contracts are also based around a Sep -Jun season. Harmonisation can't occur overnight.
    These problems will always exist though. Now probably is the best time to look into harmonisation seeing as all of those contracts are probably up in the air anyway

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'll be totally honest and say I am not missing the pro14 in the slightest. I genuinely would not care if the season was over right now.

Just kill the season and move on. Give the trophy to Leinster.

And give me my refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't even want the trophy. It's utterly meaningless. Just put a line through the season and start planning for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If it was a straight league, fair enough, maybe I could see the logic even though you wouldn't want it that way given the number of games left. But in a competition with playoffs after the league part finishes, nah.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I do want a trophy but I don't want any of the players to be happy when they get it, just like Girvan Dempsey was

Girvan-trophy-Thomond.gif

no touching it either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Just give it to Munster. It's been so long since they won a trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

awec wrote: »
    I'll be totally honest and say I am not missing the pro14 in the slightest. I genuinely would not care if the season was over right now.

Just kill the season and move on. Give the trophy to Leinster.

And give me my refund.

I do miss it, though not overly bothered if they finish it or not. With the team ownership structures they're probably in a unique position to end it without much challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/2019-20-leavers-announced

Departures from Edinburgh. John Barclay only made 14 appearances in two seasons.

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/2019-20-leavers-announced

Departures from Edinburgh. John Barclay only made 14 appearances in two seasons.

Is it just me or is that a strangely written statement. It's almost disrespectfully blunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is it just me or is that a strangely written statement. It's almost disrespectfully blunt?

On Barclay in particular or the overall statement? I would have thought the quotes from RC cover the pleasantries.

Pro14 still talking about returning for end of this season. Think they should just draw a line under it at this stage and plan for next season. https://www.the42.ie/pro14-season-update-5093129-May2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Unfortunately they can't plan for next season as they've no idea when or if it will start. As it is the 3 three Southern provinces know they can't return to training until at least August 10th, which means preseason starts a minimum 6 weeks late. If the hiatus was to last into winter the simplest option could be to finish this season (playing all remaining games) during 2020/21 and return to normal for 2021/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They can resume training on June 10th but would be limited in what they can do and break into groups. August refers to playing matches and having contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Unfortunately they can't plan for next season as they've no idea when or if it will start. As it is the 3 three Southern provinces know they can't return to training until at least August 10th, which means preseason starts a minimum 6 weeks late. If the hiatus was to last into winter the simplest option could be to finish this season (playing all remaining games) during 2020/21 and return to normal for 2021/22.

That would surely leave a lot of blank Saturdays in second half of 2020/2021 if for instance there was no rugby up to November.

That would surely leave a lot of blank Saturdays in second half of 2020/2021 if for instance there was no rugby up to November.

Well if there's no rugby until November, then there isn't enough time have a normal 2020/21 season before the Lions tour. There's no perfect solution here.

• Advertisement

Yeah fair shout and I think that's part of reason why PL hasn't been cancelled yet too. Hard to know what will happen to be honest.

Advertisement