Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Looking for some help to see if this is possible.

I’m looking to take some clients out to the Ulster Leinster game at the end of the season, that’s easy enough to do.
    As it’s the last game of the regular season it’s likely that it will be a dead rubber and pretty low on the entertainment.
    I was thinking I could possibly try work out where the 2 teams would meet in the knockout stages and get them to a more meaningful match.
    I can’t find a fixture list for the play offs to attempt to work out the possibilities, am I being optimist about managing to do it?
    Thanks

Leinster pretty much nailed on to top the group so a home Semi Final.
    If Ulster come 2nd in the group they can only meet Leinster in Final which is in Wales.
    If Ulster come 3rd they could meet Leinster in the Semi Final in the RDS but they would have to beat the 2nd team in Conference B in an away fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Thanks for the help guys, that answers that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Kings walloped by Cheetahs 45-0 this weekend with a points difference now down to - 200.

Hard to see how long the Pro14 will retain the South African teams long term. Whilst the Cheetahs do OK, the Kings are just brutal and have only chalked up 40 points in 2.5 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Cheetahs get 15 points a year from playing the Kings. It's imbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I never considered that at all, it's a great point.

I know that the SA teams hold blind hope of ECPR entry in the long term but being so poor year in, year out guarantees that any remote hope of that is extinguished. I vaguely remember reading that they were locked in til 2023 but it's hard to see them being retained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Didn't Leinster lose 38-19 last time they played the Cheetahs away? And Ulster conceded over 60 last time they faced them in Bloem and Munster lost 40-16.

Not sure how much longer the Irish sides being in the Pro14 is viable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Didn't Leinster lose 38-19 last time they played the Cheetahs away? And Ulster conceded over 60 last time they faced them in Bloem and Munster lost 40-16.

Not sure how much longer the Irish sides being in the Pro14 is viable.

Connacht beat them away though. So I think what you're saying is.. we should pour all our resources into Connacht and scrap the other provinces? Sounds about right...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

https://twitter.com/T2Rugby/status/1225088117025189889?s=19

I'm fairly certain he has been one of the Georgian refs who's done a ref AIL games over past few seasons. Great to see more refs at the elite level from a new country

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why 15? They barely scraped past them last week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I noticed attendance is up on average for both South african clubs this year, a hangover from the world Cup? Or are more people getting on board with the pro 14 and abandoning super rugby?

I noticed attendance is up on average for both South african clubs this year, a hangover from the world Cup? Or are more people getting on board with the pro 14 and abandoning super rugby?

Totally separate cities from the SR teams so I don't think that has an impact. The RWC is probably a good reason but there were no Cheetahs and Kings in that squad!

The most important thing is to stop the revolving door that has been the case every off-season.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So then, the Kings. 4 wins in 53 games, 68 points conceded tonight alone.

What is the point in this team? Tin pot club in a tin pot league.

It is time for them to be told to shape up or ship out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

awec wrote: »

Didn't Ulster concede 60+ in one game this season already? Plus there was that 64-7 result against Munster last season.

awec wrote: »

Enough is enough at this stage, particularly when you consider they have no internationals and breaks during the season on European weekends. I don't know their injury situation but they shouldn't be shipping 68 points to a Munster lineup who by my count were missing 9 usual starters.

The TV money from SA is significant but the Pro14 need to look for a Super Rugby side to replace the Kings. No player within a shout of a Springbok cap would seem to want to join the Cheetahs, nevermind the Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Didn't Ulster concede 60+ in one game this season already? Plus there was that 64-7 result against Munster last season.

Cheetahs put 63 points on Ulster, in the second game of the season.

That being said, the other results at the Cheetah's home ground are:
    48 points on Glasgow in the first game of the season.
    40 on Munster two weeks later in the third game of the season.
    45 unanswered points against the Kings last week.

That's the sum of their home games this season, if the Pro 14 site is to be believed. They've a thing for racking up points at home against whoever is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This Scarlets and Edinburgh game is woeful. Both teams throwing away opportunities to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Three empty stands at it. The national sport of wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Poor attendance at Ospreys vs Ulster too. Bad weather will have played some part but still symptomatic of present state of regional rugby in Wales despite Ospreys win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Same number of points between 1st and 2nd in conference A as between 1st and 6th in B. Mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Eod100 wrote: »
    Same number of pints between 1st and 2nd in conference A as between 1st and 6th in B. Mad!

Conference A is the beer conference

bd7925ab-1ca0-4625-b961-161319ec08bd_screenshot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Conference A is the beer conference

bd7925ab-1ca0-4625-b961-161319ec08bd_screenshot.jpg

Points even. D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yep. never understood it its going on for years now , it really only seems to be ireland and the premiership in england that really embrace league games ,

i think the concept of the pro 14 league is excellent but somthing needs to change before another team goes broke especially in wales or scotland

yep. never understood it its going on for years now, it really only seems to be ireland and the premiership in england that really embrace league games

i think the concept of the pro 14 league is excellent but somthing needs to change before another team goes broke especially in wales or scotland
    because many Welsh dont like the league/regions and prefer to attend/support their clubs ahead of pro rugby.
    What should change iin the pro14 in your opinion then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

because many Welsh dont like the league/regions and prefer to attend/support their clubs ahead of pro rugby.

i dont know , but watching the osprays in an empty liberty stadium or a proud club like llanelli play in front of 1500 people is not working ,

the Italian clubs are out doing the Scottish clubs also with attendances

i dont know, but watching the osprays in an empty liberty stadium or a proud club like llanelli play in front of 1500 people is not working

the Italian clubs are out doing the Scottish clubs also with attendances
    well there isnt much that is going to change that will make things better. They will not be joining the English league which they have deluded dreams thinking that will being back crowds and use that as excuses

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are attendances like at amateur games in Wales?

What are attendances like at amateur games in Wales?
    isnt really any records of it tbh

South Wales a small spot and all regions fighting from same pool for crowds and everything else. We lucked out in Ireland wih 4 easily recognised and historical areas to use for our pro rugby teams. Welsh rugby didnt have that and all sides are right on top of each so no surprise they struggle in general

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The Welsh system would've been similar to the AIL just before professionalism and into the early 2000s in terms of support, they would've had fairly decent crowds and a loyal following.

Unlike the Provinces though, people didn't buy into the regions at all, which is partly due to the fact they didn't have geographical or historic ties to the regions, as well as the fact the clubs could never really agree on what they wanted. They originally wanted to agree to mergers of clubs, but then the likes of Llanneli took legal action saying they wanted to stand alone, which created a 5th region and f*cked things up royally (which is part of why the WRU are trying to get it down to 4 teams again). And only 6 out of the 9 agreed to the plan that was proposed but it went ahead anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

because many Welsh dont like the league/regions and prefer to attend/support their clubs ahead of pro rugby

Except they don't support those either. Club rugby in Wales is dying a death. This narrative of the Welsh being great rugby fans is a load of tosh. They have a big bandwagon support for test matches and almost zero interest below that.

Advertisement