23-11-2020, 01:05   #91
garrettod

Ah come on guys...

Start a different thread for different stock please....

It's not difficult and long term, it'll help the discussion on all topics
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-11-2020, 07:55   #92
RIGOLO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaay View Post
I'd consider xpeng stock wayyy too extended at the minute and wide open to a citron short report attack etc. NIO however consolidated nicely enough and hopefully going to drive on comfortably back into 50$. And yep we might as well just make a new EV stock superthread here lol.
Whilst NIO stole a march , all 3 seem to moving in tandem at the moment.
Any investor in NIO should probably pay attention and keep up to speed to the whole Chinese EV market sector, and the broader worldwide EV market.

Whats NIOs plan for Europe ? Other than words have the actually made moves in this direction.
23-11-2020, 11:29   #93
Timmaay

Send a message via MSN to Timmaay
SOLO is my ev pick today, it got the Citron short selling attack on Thursday so is still beat down, I'm only looking for a quick few dollars on them over next day or so however.

Edit scrap that for the second I'm just reading up about a possible share offering in SOLO lol.

Last edited by Timmaay; 23-11-2020 at 11:37.
Thanks from:
24-11-2020, 11:18   #94
garrettod

There's good and bad in the following article, with regards to NIO... brings you back to one simple question really, can it succeed?

It certainly is benefiting from assistance from China, both directly and indirectly, which has to give it a decent chance of success, when you factor in the demand for more EVs in China etc

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nio-m...164539129.html
01-12-2020, 13:32   #95
Timmaay

https://ir.nio.com/news-events/news-...elivery-update
Tl:dr key point from it:
Quote:
NIO is in the process of accelerating the production capacity expansion in December 2020 to accommodate the increasing order growth
Also good old Goldman Sachs, who famously downgraded it to a sell at 7$ back in June when it had popped to 16$ (pure short selling tactic at the time but it cased plenty of short term grief for investors like myself who had bought up along in the low teens), anyway they have now raised their price target to 59$ lol. No real immediate reaction to either this news but I'd expect to see a lift once the market opens and we get over yesterdays overall market pullback and the Chinese ev fallout from KANDI.
Advertisement
01-12-2020, 16:23   #96
cronos

Nio is not having a good day. Bought at 50 now close to 46. Hopefully turns around.
02-12-2020, 23:36   #97
Timmaay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
Nio is not having a good day. Bought at 50 now close to 46. Hopefully turns around.
Today: Hold my beer. All ended well, hopefully everyone with NIO held tight and pulled thought. My only minor regret is I used all my firepower yesterday so couldn't add anymore shares while it was sub40.
Thanks from:
03-12-2020, 00:05   #98
cronos

Quote:
Today: Hold my beer. All ended well, hopefully everyone with NIO held tight and pulled thought. My only minor regret is I used all my firepower yesterday so couldn't add anymore shares while it was sub40.
Indeed. Held and will move forward. I could have added sub 40 but was hard to know the cause of a sustained multi day drop and how far it would go. Was strange as the senate vote should not apply to Nio due to PWC and the Goldman Sachs report upgrading the price target. But anyway slowly in the right direction again. I'll be happy with a slow and steady gain as I plan to hold long.
Thanks from:
03-12-2020, 12:50   #99
Timmaay

Wow, that use to be a sea of red with Tesla being everyone's favourite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-12-03-12-48-49-214_com.android.chrome.jpg (683.0 KB, 101 views)
Advertisement
03-12-2020, 22:11   #100
Browney7

Quote:
Interesting to see cd projekt red number one in Poland.
05-12-2020, 10:23   #101
sk8board

Quote:
Got this yesterday too, had a good smile and would view it as a massive Sell indicator.
05-12-2020, 15:28   #102
garrettod

I'm sticking with them.

Ultimately, my reasoning is :

* they have actual cars out on the road, and available for sale

* their sales are increasing, quarter on quarter

* their production is increasing, and they've capacity to further increase

* they have significant cash resources, to support their growth

* they've clearly got support in China, which is a massive market

* their battery swap idea offers a far better solution, then the alternative park and recharge for hours (not to mention the fact that it offers an additional income stream)

Last edited by garrettod; 05-12-2020 at 15:31.
Thanks from:
05-12-2020, 15:32   #103
cronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettod View Post
I'm sticking with them.

Ultimately, my reasoning is :

* they have actual cars out on the road, and available for sale - the aren't just another bunnies with a nice idea

* their sales are going up

* they have significant cash resources, to support their growth

* they've clearly got support in China, which is a massive market

* their battery swap idea offers a far better solution, then the alternative park and recharge for hours (not to mention the fact that it offers an additional income stream)
I wonder do they have patents on the battery swap idea? How easy is it to swap a battery? I wonder can other car companies copy this should they so choose.

I'm holding in Nio as it was always a speculative investment. Would expect a level of volatility within the 20 percent range either way. It's a long term play for me. I'd be more worried about the impact of the Tesla share price suddenly dropping but again I'm sure if it did it's a short term thing rather than long term.
05-12-2020, 15:34   #104
garrettod

Hi,

I've read that they can swap a battery in under five minutes, in fact I saw an article where their management said it can be done in under three minutes, so it must be an easy enough process.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nio-strong-footing-tap-chinas-140602919.html

I don't know what protection they've got, to stop others replicating their idea for swapping batteries, but assume they've taken precautions. They've clearly got first mover advantage, but it's clearly a capital intensive project, in its own right.

That said, there's also an arguement in favour of bringing in battery swap as the standard, given the time saving benefits, and cheaper cost of getting EVs into widespread private ownership. From what I gather, renting a battery, rather than buying one, could reduce the cost of buying a car by up to €5k.

Last edited by garrettod; 05-12-2020 at 15:43.
05-12-2020, 18:56   #105
Standard Toaster

NIO have hundreds of patents filed in the US for various car tech, especially around battery swapping.

They have obtained more than 1,200 power swap related patents and have participated in the compilation of more than 20 power swap standards.

That's worth a fortune alone.

https://patents.justia.com/assignee/nio-usa-inc
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion