Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-03-2019, 20:52   #811
BrownFinger
Registered User
 
BrownFinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdog View Post
Is there anyway to compare original asking price with selling price apart from tracking it manually?
Daftdrop has some info,
BrownFinger is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 22:00   #812
hmmm
Registered User
 
hmmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post
I'm not convinced that demand is easing- its more credit is drying up- people can't access the level of credit needed to support the current level of prices.
Just anecdotally I feel the same - lots of people are renting who would like to buy.

I fully support the CBI limits. We can't go back to lending 5, 6, 7, 8 times peoples salaries, because we've proven as a nation we are simply not responsible enough.

What should change however is the deposit requirements in my view. It's simply not possible to pay current rents, and save a substantial deposit. I'd like to see people being allowed access their pensions to put towards a house purchase - this would have the benefit of encouraging people to start a pension early, and allow them (once off) access for a deposit if they require it.
hmmm is offline  
15-03-2019, 22:13   #813
thunderdog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFinger View Post
Daftdrop has some info,
Cheers, does it just give initial asking price and selling price?
thunderdog is offline  
15-03-2019, 22:14   #814
kippy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 13,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
Just anecdotally I feel the same - lots of people are renting who would like to buy.

I fully support the CBI limits. We can't go back to lending 5, 6, 7, 8 times peoples salaries, because we've proven as a nation we are simply not responsible enough.

What should change however is the deposit requirements in my view. It's simply not possible to pay current rents, and save a substantial deposit. I'd like to see people being allowed access their pensions to put towards a house purchase - this would have the benefit of encouraging people to start a pension early, and allow them (once off) access for a deposit if they require it.
I don't think allowing people access to their pensions is the answer. Not many people have a pension worth accessing!
Again - as far as I can see there are two broad issues, linked together.
1. The cost of building. Way too prohibitive. Granted there are only certain things the state can do here but there are things the state can do.
2. Linked to 1 - the amount of properties for sale - ie the supply side. More properties for sale, meets demand. Not even close to this at the minute. No where near enough new properties getting built in areas where they are required.

I do agree with you - saving for a deposit is very difficult in certain areas and in certain circumstances - perhaps something could be done in this area that wouldn't have an direct impact on the cost of a house.
kippy is offline  
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 23:45   #815
Bob24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiskeptic View Post
You mean "can't drive prices upwards anymore"
I’ve been skeptical about saying there is a drop in the past few months, but the fact is Dublin prices have been dropping for 3 months in a row which hadn’t happened in a very long time.

The chart there is starting to show it clearly, so I think it’s fair to say that at least for the past few months prices couldn’t be sustained in Dublin:

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica...exjanuary2019/
Bob24 is online now  
Advertisement
16-03-2019, 01:50   #816
kippy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 13,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob24 View Post
I’ve been skeptical about saying there is a drop in the past few months, but the fact is Dublin prices have been dropping for 3 months in a row which hadn’t happened in a very long time.

The chart there is starting to show it clearly, so I think it’s fair to say that at least for the past few months prices couldn’t be sustained in Dublin:

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica...exjanuary2019/
The absolute quietest months of the year for sales though?
And still rising year on year......

There's probably a slowdown in certain areas. TBH nowhere near enough.
kippy is offline  
16-03-2019, 01:54   #817
Runaude
Registered User
 
Runaude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 13
I'm not seeing this slow down. I've seen various properties being sold in Dublin now within one/two weeks and when I've inquired about properties in Galway/Cork they are going sale agreed within the same time frame after being placed on daft. Once it's priced right they seem to be going quick.
Runaude is offline  
16-03-2019, 07:46   #818
theboringfox
Registered User
 
theboringfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 171
Casual observation but market seems soft in Cork City. I bought in early 2016 and houses selling in similar price range. I kept an eye and Cork market was very strong into end of 2017 but definitely softened last year. This was 300k plus area. I think market has hit a ceiling of affordability. I think it is a good thing. I remember the crazy bidding back in Summer 2015. People biding up because afraid if they did not the house might be 10% dearer in 12 month's time. A stable market just has buyers acting more logically.
theboringfox is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2019, 07:54   #819
Zenify
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaude View Post
I'm not seeing this slow down. I've seen various properties being sold in Dublin now within one/two weeks and when I've inquired about properties in Galway/Cork they are going sale agreed within the same time frame after being placed on daft. Once it's priced right they seem to be going quick.
It depends on the price bracket. Everyone here has repeated this point. Anything livable under 360k is selling well. Anything over has started coming down. Slight differences to that bracket based on areas. Ive seen a good few properties which went sale agreed last summer come back on the market this year at reduced prices.
Zenify is offline  
Advertisement
16-03-2019, 08:04   #820
kippy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 13,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenify View Post
It depends on the price bracket. Everyone here has repeated this point. Anything livable under 360k is selling well. Anything over has started coming down. Slight differences to that bracket based on areas. Ive seen a good few properties which went sale agreed last summer come back on the market this year at reduced prices.
Were those sale agreed properties actually sold and if so do you know the price?
Theres no reason in the current market that someone who bought a house last year for a verified figure would advertise it for less than that figure this year unless they had been advised to set the amv relatively low to garner interest and set off a bidding war.
kippy is offline  
16-03-2019, 08:10   #821
honeybear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,054
Tipp here and houses flying atm. Local house sold recently for just under half a million...to be honest, I was stunned. Feel it’s a sign that slow down may come
honeybear is offline  
16-03-2019, 08:53   #822
The_Conductor
Moderator
 
The_Conductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 27,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post
The absolute quietest months of the year for sales though?
And still rising year on year......

There's probably a slowdown in certain areas. TBH nowhere near enough.
The slowdown is beginning to radiate outwards from Dublin- and is evidenced in new developments in Wicklow, North Kildare and Meath (to say nothing of West Dublin).

There is still the year on year increase- which is down to construction inflation levels (understood to be 5%)- however, those year-on-year increases, are also falling- albeit not as starkly as the current month-on-month falls that we're seeing.

No matter what way you look at it- prices- both to purchase and also rental prices- cannot be justified given the meager increases in wages/salaries that people have managed to procure over the last few years- quite simply, accommodation has, for most people, never been less affordable than it is now. I include the 2007 peak prices in this- for the simple reason- most people were on better wages back then- some sectors (such as the public sector)- are still netting around 15% less than peak- and that accounts for over a fifth of the workforce. If you're lucky and in IT or Finance- may you make hay while the sun shines, its not going to last forever..........

Our people have been bled dry- and whatever about shortages- affordability has never been worse than it now is.
The_Conductor is offline  
16-03-2019, 09:24   #823
Bob24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post
The absolute quietest months of the year for sales though?
And still rising year on year......

There's probably a slowdown in certain areas. TBH nowhere near enough.
The are the quietest months indeed, but again if you look at the chart the same drop pattern can’t be observed during same months for any of the previous years.

And by nature the YOY indicator is dampening short term movements, which makes it good to give a long term smothered view of the market but slow to acknowledge trend reversals.

I’m not saying things can’t pick up, they certainly can. But factually what we can see on the chart for Dublin is the strongest drop sequence we have seen since the beginning of the recovery, so I think it is worth paying attention.

Last edited by Bob24; 16-03-2019 at 13:13.
Bob24 is online now  
16-03-2019, 09:27   #824
Zenify
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post
Were those sale agreed properties actually sold and if so do you know the price?
Theres no reason in the current market that someone who bought a house last year for a verified figure would advertise it for less than that figure this year unless they had been advised to set the amv relatively low to garner interest and set off a bidding war.
No they weren't actually sold just sale agreed. They had massive bidding wars and went way above asking price and are now back on the market with no current offers. It's so strange and you would have to ask where are all the other bidders that were interested? Surely they would have just gone to the next bidder if it fell though.
Zenify is offline  
16-03-2019, 09:53   #825
Sunrise_Sunset
Registered User
 
Sunrise_Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenify View Post
No they weren't actually sold just sale agreed. They had massive bidding wars and went way above asking price and are now back on the market with no current offers. It's so strange and you would have to ask where are all the other bidders that were interested? Surely they would have just gone to the next bidder if it fell though.
I find that interesting. I didn't start bidding until January of this year. Bid on 2 houses (3 beds, 3 baths) that went above asking price after bidding wars. I asked the EA to keep me on the underbidder's list, but I haven't heard anything back yet. We have now decided we can only pursue 2 bed, 2 bath houses as they are still getting bids over their asking prices and edging up into our price range.
Sunrise_Sunset is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet