Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Bob24 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say most sellers. It really depends on the type of property,
    location, and selling strategy.

When I was looking in a high demand area of Dublin almost everything was purposely priced significantly below wha the seller was actually looking for.

Depends on the agent, from first hand experience, buying, selling and selling for others, in Dublin.

Owners want as much as they can get, not everyone understands this, but when you become a vendor your perspective and understanding switches to the polar opposite of a buyer with regards to strategy and price.

Another point worth noting, from my own experiences at least 75% of people think their own home is worth more than even an agent thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Not even the bogs of Leitrim are 65% off peak.

If you think rathfarnham is that far off peak, your calendar must read February 2012

Maybe it's as cuddlesworth said, some transactions don't reflect the actual peak, but in my estate, I know prices of almost 900K were paid in '06, similar available on market presently for 550K, lowest as per PPR was 410K in'13.

And I know of several other estates in this general area with almost identical type of scenarios.

In my area, 420k 3 bed semis in 2008 are now 290k max, 800k detached 5 properties are now 500k ish.

At the bottom, the 420k property was 190k, the 800k was no lower than 360 looking at ppr.

I'm in the north east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

It must have taken a very long time to officially register as sold as when the peak arrived in February 2007, it was almost immediately as if someone hit the trapdoor button, by end of 2007, prices had fallen quite a bit even that did not register until 2008

From my recollection, prices didn't actually fall significantly for a long time, how could they, sure property only goes up in value was the thinking. It took a few years before reality sunk in, but as we all know, inability to repossess meant a true bottom was never reached. I think consensus is that the bottom was somewhere around early 2012?
    I know from ppr that prices where I am were the same in 2010 as 2014. 2012 ppr for similar estates in locale were the lowest I saw, but not sure if I'm comparing like with like as properties were a little different.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rew wrote: »
    From talking to people that live in them they find the layout less than idea especially with younger children. Sitting room and kitchen on different floors. Parking for visitors is often a big hassle in new style estates
    Sitting room and kitchen on different floors is not normal.

Three story houses are usually just a 4 bedroom in the footprint of a 3 bed. Or a 5 bed in the footprint of a 4 bed. It makes sense from a space point of view.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Sitting room and kitchen on different floors is not normal.

Three story houses are usually just a 4 bedroom in the footprint of a 3 bed. Or a 5 bed in the footprint of a 4 bed. It makes sense from a space point of view.

Agreed, I'm in a 3 story 4 bed, 1600 sq ft but 400 sq ft is top floor master. They make a lot of sense in certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Depends on the agent, from first hand experience, buying, selling and selling for others, in Dublin.

Owners want as much as they can get, not everyone understands this, but when you become a vendor your perspective and understanding switches to the polar opposite of a buyer with regards to strategy and price.

Another point worth noting, from my own experiences at least 75% of people think their own home is worth more than even an agent thinks.

Of course, buyers want to pay less and sellers want to sell for more. But one thing no one wants is hectic sales and time wasting.

I can see how some people who haven’t experienced other systems think that the only way to extract the most value from a property is our current system whereby asking prices mean nothing and bids as well as sale agreements are non binding (all of those things making the process more hectic). But as I mentionnes buyers and sellers alike in many other countries would disagree with that: there are more structured ways to handle a property sale which also make sellers happy (I am talking with first hand experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In my area, 420k 3 bed semis in 2008 are now 290k max, 800k detached 5 properties are now 500k ish.

At the bottom, the 420k property was 190k, the 800k was no lower than 360 looking at ppr.

I'm in the north east.

2008 was a full year after the peak

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    From my recollection, prices didn't actually fall significantly for a long time, how could they, sure property only goes up in value was the thinking. It took a few years before reality sunk in, but as we all know, inability to repossess meant a true bottom was never reached. I think consensus is that the bottom was somewhere around early 2012?
    I know from ppr that prices where I am were the same in 2010 as 2014. 2012 ppr for similar estates in locale were the lowest I saw, but not sure if I'm comparing like with like as properties were a little different.

I was heavily involved with the property market in Dublin in North City Dublin in 2012, the bottom in Dublin 7 was around April 2012, that does not mean you could not buy a house as cheap in November 2012 but prices were not falling from mid 2012 on in most parts of Dublin, cheap lots could be picked up at the likes of the allsop auctions for a few years afterwards even in Dublin, add to that, place like Dublin 8 were up very modestly compared to South Dublin as late as 2015 but the downward trend more or less ended in 2012

The market did not bottom in the likes of Limerick city until about early 2015, another market i know well

I'm in the north east.

Perhaps but 420 k properties in the North east were never typical, its a bit like million euro plus homes in Dublin 6 finding it hard to get close to the peak today, the average price homes tell the story, not eight bed mansions in Aylesbury Road or roscommon

• Advertisement

It works both ways folks. Agents advertise properties for 300k and people offer 260k.

Can't have your cake and eat it.

It's better to advertise a house @ 250 k if you are aiming for 300 k, if 300 k waa realistic to begin with, punters will see that it reaches that target, if you advertise too high to begin with, you queer your pitch

2008 was a full year after the peak

You may want to research that one a bit more.

You may want to research that one a bit more.

The peak was spring 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Pussyhands wrote: »

Or rather, looking for the bones of €600,000 for a house on the outskirts of Maynooth was overly ambitious in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Rothmans wrote: »
    Or rather, looking for the bones of €600,000 for a house on the outskirts of Maynooth was overly ambitious in the first place.

I can't believe that price. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

optogirl wrote: »

what did it drop from 600 to 550?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The wrong side of a traffic-locked town with no spare capacity on the trains/buses. Could take you 40mins to/from the M4 if you were driving to work. Northern-eastern arc of the ringroad will start in that estate but could take a decade.

And its a drop of <2%. And it's after an increase of 100k from 460 to 560!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Property Price History
    €550,000
    €10,000
    Feb 13, 2019
    €550,000
    €10,000
    Feb 13, 2019
    €560,000
    €560,000
    Dec 13, 2018
    POA
    €460,000
    Jul 23, 2018
    POA
    €460,000
    Jul 23, 2018
    €460,000
    €15,000
    Jun 08, 2016
    €445,000
    €5,000
    May 17, 2016
    €450,000
    €10,000
    Apr 25, 2016
    €440,000
    FIRST LISTED
    Jun 20, 2014

Lots of changes in price since first listed - wonder if the exact same property is for sale each time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

JJJackal wrote: »
    Property Price History
    €550,000
    €10,000
    Feb 13, 2019
    €550,000
    €10,000
    Feb 13, 2019
    €560,000
    €560,000
    Dec 13, 2018
    POA
    €460,000
    Jul 23, 2018
    POA
    €460,000
    Jul 23, 2018
    €460,000
    €15,000
    Jun 08, 2016
    €445,000
    €5,000
    May 17, 2016
    €450,000
    €10,000
    Apr 25, 2016
    €440,000
    FIRST LISTED
    Jun 20, 2014

Lots of changes in price since first listed - wonder if the exact same property is for sale each time

I went to see a few properties listed like this in West Dublin/Kildare...Turned out they didn't exist & they were just trying to get you in the door to talk to the sales agent & sell you a property off the plans... this one may be different, & in fairness it isn't a very attractive house irrelevant of the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

optogirl wrote: »

Can you believe the price of any property near Dublin?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JJJackal wrote: »

Its the master listing for a type in a still under construction estate - estate has been under construction since before the crash in fact. So its not like its one house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Sorry I know its not one house - my query was if each house for sale was built from the same plan or if the prices rise might be due in part to slightly bigger houses (similar design but not identical) from slightly different plans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The plans for that style house have changed a few times over the years. Adding solar panels etc. And prices varies unit to unit too, based on aspect, garden size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Just wondering are many 'sale agreed's falling through these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Just wondering are many 'sale agreed's falling through these days?

What I'm seeing are houses that went sale agreed at the end of last summer have been coming back on the market this year. I haven't seen this many come back ion the market before (been watching for 3 years). All the ones that I've seen come back on the market are the properties that need a lot of work. So I was guessing it's because of the banks? I remember an article that said the building work was ending up too expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Has anyone had any experience these guys before, they charge a standard flat fee and publish the current highest offer on each property they are selling.
    Seems a bit more transparent than other auctioneers

https://www.auctioneera.ie

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Zenify wrote: »
    What I'm seeing are houses that went sale agreed at the end of last summer have been coming back on the market this year. I haven't seen this many come back ion the market before (been watching for 3 years). All the ones that I've seen come back on the market are the properties that need a lot of work. So I was guessing it's because of the banks? I remember an article that said the building work was ending up too expensive too.

I would imagine it's a combination of a shortage of builders and a greater amount of new builds being available that's making some doer-upper properties harder to sell.

Builders are in demand right now, which will make building costs higher, which probably causes issues for some folks with their bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Could the crazies stop buying houses at these prices please?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Could the crazies stop buying houses at these prices please?!

I don't know who these people are tbh. You'd buy a mansion 20 minutes drive out the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement