Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms cert approval if superintendent absent?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Bagpipe wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to call in and ask about the progress on an application? Or would that be classified as 'getting cheeky'?

Well, the rifle has been approved. They already called me to inform. Think I'm gonna go meet the acting super and have a chat about the moderator. If he doesn't know anything about guns he might have just gotten spooked at the idea of a silencer (seeing as he's only been an acting super a couple of weeks and possibly hasn't signed off on firearms before).

Could be an idea to just explain in a little more detail why moderators are important and shouldn't be a concern. Of course, it could backfire and he might think I'm a gowl. Remains to be seen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Same for me yesterday.
    Congrats by the way.
    I was refused a moderator, however, despite having given a list of reasons for requiring it.
    As the lads have said you are entitled to a refusal in writing. NEVER accept anything over the phone as it's not an official refusal and you cannot appeal a phone call. Get everything n writing.
    Peppa Cig wrote: »
    And if you don’t win?
    You don't win, and end up paying costs yourself although, and not to sugar coat it, you are not guaranteed costs with every case. I know a chap that two years went the court route, won, but was not awarded costs. It wasn't mortgage level costs, but still a couple of grand.

Its this reason most lads don't appeal and why refusals are becoming more common place. While AGS have much higher budgets each district is now responsible for their own legal costs, afaik, and so they tend to balk if it goes the court route.
    Prompts another question please - what percentage of appeals would you say are successful?
    No idea actually. Based solely on observation, reports, and word of mouth (for whatever that is worth) i'd say it's high 90% if not higher.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    And if you don’t win?

Prompts another question please - what percentage of appeals would you say are successful?

At the height of the pistol and semi auto rifle appeals,we were pulling appx 95% success rates in DC courts nationally according to NARGC figures.

As for court costs,if you have hauled in expert witnesses,junior council and your solicitor,and the guns are over a grand in value,it seems DC judges will look more favourably at costs.[Proably as they wont see their fellow legals going out of pocket.]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well, the rifle has been approved. They already called me to inform. Think I'm gonna go meet the acting super and have a chat about the moderator. If he doesn't know anything about guns he might have just gotten spooked at the idea of a silencer (seeing as he's only been an acting super a couple of weeks and possibly hasn't signed off on firearms before).

Could be an idea to just explain in a little more detail why moderators are important and shouldn't be a concern. Of course, it could backfire and he might think I'm a gowl. Remains to be seen.

He is obliged to meet you ,and you can certainly demand that he puts his reasons for refusal in writing.It' not being anything,it's following legal protocol and requirement and he is obliged to do so vis the Garda guidelines on this too.
    You might get some quare rationale,and granting the silencer on condition you only use it on ranges,or on your own private property,as what I got on my .22,but can happily hunt anywhere with the .308...Go figure... If they offer such,my advice is to take it.You can always come back again for another bite and say some of the conditions are too vexatious or burdensome,as your conditions changed.IE you got a job culling wabbits on some ground you shoot,and need the silencer for that.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement