Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Eh, Xmas is'nt that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

roundymac wrote: »
    Eh, Xmas is'nt that far away.

Maybe Santa Claus might put a nice new frigate in the NS Christmas Stocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Maybe Santa Claus might put a nice new frigate in the NS Christmas Stocking?

They dont have the people to crew it.

Its not the Royal Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

mikeym wrote: »
    They dont have the people to crew it.

Its not the Royal Navy.

A reminder that even the RN still has manpower issues themselves, though the Type 45 issues kind of hides that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Between the Drydocking and the parking up of Eithne when she goes back to sea will she be fit to stay longer than expected with the navy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It will be unlikely she'll ever go back to sea IMO.:(

Good chance you are right, on the other hand we're still what 4-5 years from the EPV, though given the shortfall still happening as I said you're most likely right.

If the Libyans hear she is parked up they will get her back to Sea! Has that Libyan warlord actually used Aisling in combat yet? I taught seen on CNN something about a Libyan ship bombing a village?

roadmaster wrote: »
    If the Libyans hear she is parked up they will get her back to Sea! Has that Libyan warlord actually used Aisling in combat yet? I taught seen on CNN something about a Libyan ship bombing a village?

Don't know about that, but if she does end up in some other navy how ****ing annoying is it going to be if they restore her helo capabilities?

sparky42 wrote: »
    Don't know about that, but if she does end up in some other navy how ****ing annoying is it going to be if they restore her helo capabilities?

Send it up to Belfast and weld in another 10 to 20 metre section into the hull and do a complete refit..new weapons etc. (Missiles). Sort out the helideck and convert it into a mini frigate on the cheap. More powerful engines and whatever is needed. Its been done before with older ships. That will be cheaper option than proposed replacement and faster as well. Time wise.

• Advertisement

An using Dauphins!

Send it up to Belfast and weld in another 10 to 20 metre section into the hull and do a complete refit..new weapons etc. (Missiles). Sort out the helideck and convert it into a mini frigate on the cheap. More powerful engines and whatever is needed. Its been done before with older ships. That will be cheaper option than proposed replacement and faster as well. Time wise.

It's also insane and pointless.

roadmaster wrote: »
    An using Dauphins!

Yep... That will hurt if we see it.

It's also insane and pointless.

Ya might be right there Sparky...just tryin to think outside the box. Might be better to convert it into a museum ship and berth it next to Spike Island?
    Another possible way forward....I notice that the Italian Navy is gradually selling off and replacing some 30 year old frigates. They look pretty tasty; rather similar imo to the Arleigh Burke class. Probably get a reasonable deal on one and throw a 100 mill on a pukka refit. One of them would make a great flagship and they're probably in pretty good nick given they've spent a fair bit of their life cruisin around the pleasant waters of the Mediterranean. Anyway....It looks like the pay claim has been put to bed finally.Its the Maestrale class that are up for sale...bloody impressive and versatile ship. Armed to the teeth with missiles and a decent sized suite of guns as well as torpedoes. Just the ticket for keeping on top of things around the Irish territorial waters and beyond. And just to put the icing on the cake....they have a helideck into the bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Johnny my man, your hilarious, you have quite some plans for us controlling the north atlantic :D

Johnny my man, your hilarious, you have quite some plans for us controlling the north atlantic :D

And that's just for starters!

And that's just for starters!
    If 30 year old ships is just the start I'm concerned you're going to suggest building Battleships next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Build them? Why? Isn't HMS Belfast tied up at London bridge for years.

Throw the Brits a few quid and haul her back to Cork. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If 30 year old ships is just the start I'm concerned you're going to suggest building Battleships next.
    Build them? Why? Isn't HMS Belfast tied up at London bridge for years.

Throw the Brits a few quid and haul her back to Cork. :pac:

we've gone from OPVs to frigates to destroyers to cruisers to battleships. Feck it, we should buy an aircraft carrier. The russians probably have one going spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They should build AI units to operate the ships because they have a huge problem getting humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

we've gone from OPVs to frigates to destroyers to cruisers to battleships. Feck it, we should buy an aircraft carrier. The russians probably have one going spare.

You forgot a few Ballistic nuclear submarines!!

You forgot a few Ballistic nuclear submarines!!

I was leavin that one on the bsck burner for now. Leo. Had me eye om s couple of them very capable German arrack subs. But its not first priority just now.

Yes and No, they do but it might still have a hole in it after the sank the drydock it was in at the time. Also it needs a tug to follow it around all the time.

That being said back in the day on P.ie I did see someone suggesting we buy the 2 Mistrals that were for Russia...

Nice bit of kit that mistral. Maybe a bit overkill in terms of the air wing it can accomodate.

I see the RN is phasing out the type 23 frigates gradually with the first one coming on the market in 2023. Looks like a very capable multirole ship on foot of extra stuff added over the years. I reckon that would be a good replacement for the Eithne and probably get a good deal on it. The Chilean navy bought 3 of them second hand a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I see the RN is phasing out the type 23 frigates gradually with the first one coming on the market in 2023. Looks like a very capable multirole ship on foot of extra stuff added over the years. I reckon that would be a good replacement for the Eithne and probably get a good deal on it. The Chilean navy bought 3 of them second hand a few years back.

I think you will need a bigger wallet. The running costs for one of those would be similar to the rest of fleet put together.

I think you will need a bigger wallet. The running costs for one of those would be similar to the rest of fleet put together.

Not only that, they are probably older than the ship being replaced.

By the time the 23's are decommissioned they will be utterly shagged to death. They were meant to have been replaced over a decade ago with a design life of less than 20 years.

Not only that, they are probably older than the ship being replaced.

Nah the 23's are much younger than the Eithne, on the otherhand as I just said the RN built them with only a 20 year lifespan, they were meant to have already been replaced by now.

• Advertisement

Nah the 23's are much younger than the Eithne, on the otherhand as I just said the RN built them with only a 20 year lifespan, they were meant to have already been replaced by now.

Not by much id say.

Advertisement