Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

We need Aircraft Carriers asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Captcha wrote: »

No we dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭sparky42

Joyce and Beckett were the two doing the training today along with an AW 139.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Tabnabs wrote: »

Are the rounds in a magazine similar to a rifle so they could go full automatic if they wanted or is it limited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Captcha wrote: »
    mikeym wrote: »
    No we dont.

Ah come on, just getting one is pretty pointless..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

roadmaster wrote: »
    Are the rounds in a magazine similar to a rifle so they could go full automatic if they wanted or is it limited

Max rate of fire is 120 rds/min under electronic fire control which is obviously 2 per second but realistically you wouldn't see bursts of more than 3 or 4 rounds.

There are some vids on youtube of the 76 turret on a test rig on land firing 40 rounds in 20 secs but you'd be asking a lot of the cooling system as well as magazine feed and storage to be doing that at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I see there's an auld ship in Dublin port that was impounded some years ago by the revenue and they want shut of it. That could come in a bit handy for the NS to do some real heavy duty stuff with the 76 mm. Bang Bang Bang and down she goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I see there's an auld ship in Dublin port that was impounded some years ago by the revenue and they want shut of it. That could come in a bit handy for the NS to do some real heavy duty stuff with the 76 mm. Bang Bang Bang and down she goes!

I recall reading that the costs involved are massive even to make her suitable for sinking without causing an environmental incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Now that the Brits have gone completely stupid about Brexit...we need to be looking at the position regarding Rockall. Time to order some hefty frigates and a few submarines imo. And lets get the Rangers out on to the rock!

sure if we got it we would only give it away like the rest of the fishing and mineral resources

http://coastmonkey.ie/le-george-bernard-shaw-ceremony-waterford/

I wonder where did Leo and that clown keogh get the crew from

• Advertisement

http://coastmonkey.ie/le-george-bernard-shaw-ceremony-waterford/

I wonder where did Leo and that clown keogh get the crew from

Why do you think the other three 60's are tied up, two in the dockyard, one at the base. Look the manpower situation is a disaster, but Shaw was always going to cause manpower issues anyway as she was never planned for.

sparky42 wrote: »
    Why do you think the other three 60's are tied up, two in the dockyard, one at the base. Look the manpower situation is a disaster, but Shaw was always going to cause manpower issues anyway as she was never planned for.

It’s wonder the government hasn’t asked the navy to hide the ships docked in the naval base so no one can ask questions why they are tied up

It’s wonder the government hasn’t asked the navy to hide the ships docked in the naval base so no one can ask questions why they are tied up
    That would require people to be interested enough in the DF to care, sadly we know that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

sparky42 wrote: »
    That would require people to be interested enough in the DF to care, sadly we know that's not the case.

Sadly too true Spark.
    I wonder if Brussels will put the boot in as they have largely funded the new vessels and they are supposed to perform roles in EU waters. The present rot in the DF from lack of numbers has to be seriously impacting effectiveness, morale and , of course, ability to undertake any new UN roles .

Weirdly, in the face of the above, 74 officers commissioned last year (15 Maltese I think) and campaign underway to take on 100 cadets in next class. The question is will there be anyone/anything for them to lead in the future??

Savage93 wrote: »
    Sadly too true Spark.
    I wonder if Brussels will put the boot in as they have largely funded the new vessels and they are supposed to perform roles in EU waters. The present rot in the DF from lack of numbers has to be seriously impacting effectiveness, morale and , of course, ability to undertake any new UN roles .

Weirdly, in the face of the above, 74 officers commissioned last year (15 Maltese I think) and campaign underway to take on 100 cadets in next class. The question is will there be anyone/anything for them to lead in the future??

How have the EU largely funded the new ships?

How have the EU largely funded the new ships?

I dont think there was much if any EU funds for the becketts

You could always ask your TD to raise a question in the dail. I thought that the EU paid for the hulls and the DF paid for the weaponry.

You could always ask your TD to raise a question in the dail. I thought that the EU paid for the hulls and the DF paid for the weaponry.

Or you could Google it.

You know what thought did?

Have you two accounts on this thread now?

No Herald. Only one.

Savage93 wrote: »
    Sadly too true Spark.

Don't think the EU provided any funds towards the P60 class, nor was there any EU roles mandated (beyond normal fisheries anyway)

• Advertisement

Nope, that was for the 50's from memory (why they fitted here), the 60s were paid for by us, hence the delay to the entire project when it got pushed back due to the crash. Though I wonder if it hadn't been delayed would we have got a fourth hull, as the procurement would have been done long before either the Brexit vote or the Med operations.

I like the look of them new Tuo Jiang missile frigates that Taiwan has developed. Pack a hell of a punch for a 680 ton ship. Couple of them could come in right handy for inshore work and as a powerful fighting ship into the bargain!
    Classy looking bit of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Your mad for a fight Johnny.

roundymac wrote: »
    Your mad for a fight Johnny.

I'd stop at just mad.

I like the look of them new Tuo Jiang missile frigates that Taiwan has developed. Pack a hell of a punch for a 680 ton ship. Couple of them could come in right handy for inshore work and as a powerful fighting ship into the bargain!
    Classy looking bit of kit!

Yeah ideal for the North Atlantic Jonno. Go back to sleep.

I was thinking of basing them for work on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are we going to war with the welsh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

are we going to war with the welsh?

Invade the Isle of Man, some grand pubs in Douglas!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We invade the Isle of Mann every year for the TT.

• Advertisement

We do not have the luxury/resources of an east coast only flotilla. Besides which, a winter easterly in the Irish Sea could be every bit as bad.

Advertisement